OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1746, 1747, 1748 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Man, would rather not lose Nance though.

In a scenario with Cousins & Paul George, the depth chart looks funky if they keep Nance.

Something similar to this:

Cousins, Zubac, Randle
Randle, Kuzma, Nance
Ingram, Kuzma, Paul George
Paul George, ?
Ball, ?

Paul George, youngsters and Minimum Salary players at SF, SG and PG.

Not that Hart has demonstrated anything yet, but they are going to have a huge learning curve to overcome at the wing positions.

They will be lacking a decent veteran SG/SF 3&D coming off the bench. The backup PG is likely to be on a bargain contract. Even with a Room Exception to use, experienced quality depth on the wings is going to be a problem.

Rande and Cousins? are going to need to jump another level on defense because expect some breakdowns on perimeter defense because of the limited experience for the wings beyond Paul George.

Lol Deng would be in there somewhere if we stretch him yes?

Deng would be a charge against team salary if stretched, but wouldn't show on a depth chart. If he isn't stretched, then the two Max plan could have problems.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

In a scenario with Cousins & Paul George, the depth chart looks funky if they keep Nance.

Cousins, Zubac, Randle
Randle, Kuzma, Nance
Paul George, ?
Ball, ?

Not that Hart has demonstrated anything yet, but they are going to have a huge learning curve to overcome at the wing positions.

They will be lacking a decent veteran SG/SF 3&D coming off the bench. The backup PG is likely to be on a bargain contract. Even with a Room Exception to use, experienced quality depth on the wings is going to be a problem.

Rande and Cousins? are going to need to jump another level on defense because expect some breakdowns on perimeter defense because of the limited experience for the wings beyond Paul George.

if you get PG + Cousins and if Randle is still liability on defense, then i would prefer KCP

Cousins
Ingram
PG13
KCP
Lonzo
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Roon wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Cousins, Zubac, Randle
Randle, Kuzma, Nance
Paul George, ?
Ball, ?

Lol Deng would be in there somewhere if we stretch him yes?

Deng would be a charge against team salary if stretched, but wouldn't show on a depth chart. If he isn't stretched, then the two Max plan could have problems.

Ah, I was under the impression a player can still play stretched, thank you.

I also like the idea of trading Deng+2nd or other young one for a similar yet smaller contract to stretch.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
one thing that LA has in favor of Randle giving a discount is that his wife loves the LA lifestyle

That and Randle reallllly wants to be here... he just has to show that his play can back it up
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

I agree that would be the logical thing for him to do unless they (Magic & Pelinka) promised that they would give him an above market contract the following summer to makeup for the shortfall in the near term.

One of the key issues for him signing a below market contract with a promise of a future above market contract is the obvious need for him to get catastrophic insurance that would cover him in case of a serious injury that would put obtaining the future above market contract at risk.

That type of coverage could be expensive and make the concept of him cooperating on a promise for the future unlikely to happen.

If Jules proved he is worth it, then I can see them trying to trade Deng (get 17m off the books instead of the stretched amount) and trading out JC. that should theoretically give us enough to sign 2 max and meet Jules' cap hold.

The other day, I linked to the story - writeup about limited cap space in 2018 looming just over the horizon. The net cost to move Deng and Clarkson might be two first round picks because of that cap space issue rather than a price gouge the Lakers philosophy by the teams able to do it.

With the 2018 pick already owed, sending out two more first round picks to keep Randle might be more than the FO could stomach.

I think JC could be moved with a 2nd rounder.

Deng will take at least 1 future 1st, maybe a 2nd 1st rounder (which I would think is costly).

Or, if Jules is balling out, they could elect to move other pieces like Zub/Nance/etc. to carve out space, stretch Deng (if the cost is too high), and trade JC.

Simply put, if Jules is really showing that he's worth keeping, there are several ways to get to his cap hold amount.

I tinkered with the numbers and probably so provided LeBron isn't one of the incoming free agents. If he wants to sign and will only discount to 34% instead of 35%, then the numbers are a mess.

Dropping Nance and discounts of not quite 1% from the two Max (30%) free agents should be about there on a $102 million salary cap.

Salary Cap
$102,000,000

$30,000,000......Cousins (1)
$30,000,000......Paul George (2)

$7,461,960........Lonzo Ball (3)
$5,757,120........Brandon Ingram (4)

$12,447,727......Julius Randle - Cap Hold (5)

$1,689,840........Kyle Kuzma (6)
$1,655,160........Josh Hart (7)
$1,544,951........Ivica Zubac (8)
$839,542...........Minimum Salary (9)
$839,542...........Minimum Salary (10)
$839,542...........Minimum Salary (11)
$839,542...........Minimum Salary (12)

$7,362,000.........Luol Deng ($36,810,000/5)

$0......................Brook Lopez
$0......................Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
$0......................Jordan Clarkson
$0......................Corey Brewer
$0......................Tyler Ennis
$0......................Thomas Bryant
$0......................Larry Nance Jr.

$101,276,926

Trying to make these estimates with absolute precision, then using that as a reason we will need to drop a low paid player is just silly. No one knows with certainty what the cap number will be. Secondly, incoming players aren't likely to ask for every last nickel if it means the team they're joining loses a valuable player.
I'll say it again, the Lakers will have two max slots next July, all that's needed is to stretch Deng and keep either Clarkson or Randle.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
Trying to make these estimates with absolute precision, then using that as a reason we will need to drop a low paid player is just silly. No one knows with certainty what the cap number will be. Secondly, incoming players aren't likely to ask for every last nickel if it means the team they're joining loses a valuable player.
I'll say it again, the Lakers will have two max slots next July, all that's needed is to stretch Deng and keep either Clarkson or Randle.

Not if you want Lebron and another max.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

I agree that would be the logical thing for him to do unless they (Magic & Pelinka) promised that they would give him an above market contract the following summer to makeup for the shortfall in the near term.

One of the key issues for him signing a below market contract with a promise of a future above market contract is the obvious need for him to get catastrophic insurance that would cover him in case of a serious injury that would put obtaining the future above market contract at risk.

That type of coverage could be expensive and make the concept of him cooperating on a promise for the future unlikely to happen.

If Jules proved he is worth it, then I can see them trying to trade Deng (get 17m off the books instead of the stretched amount) and trading out JC. that should theoretically give us enough to sign 2 max and meet Jules' cap hold.

The other day, I linked to the story - writeup about limited cap space in 2018 looming just over the horizon. The net cost to move Deng and Clarkson might be two first round picks because of that cap space issue rather than a price gouge the Lakers philosophy by the teams able to do it.

With the 2018 pick already owed, sending out two more first round picks to keep Randle might be more than the FO could stomach.

Deng will take at least 1 future 1st, maybe a 2nd 1st rounder (which I would think is costly).

Or, if Jules is balling out, they could elect to move other pieces like Zub/Nance/etc. to carve out space, stretch Deng (if the cost is too high), and trade JC.

Simply put, if Jules is really showing that he's worth keeping, there are several ways to get to his cap hold amount.

I tinkered with the numbers and probably so provided LeBron isn't one of the incoming free agents. If he wants to sign and will only discount to 34% instead of 35%, then the numbers are a mess.

Dropping Nance and discounts of not quite 1% from the two Max (30%) free agents should be about there on a $102 million salary cap.

Salary Cap
$102,000,000

$101,276,926

My hope is:

JC and Deng moved in the off season with picks for trade exceptions.
(No need to stretch Deng)

LBJ- 36.1
PG- 30.9
Ball- 7.5
Ingram 5.7
Nance 2.2
Kuzma 1.7
Hart 1.7
Zubac 1.5
Bryant 1.3
Min sal -.8
min sal -.8

Total 88.6

Lopez signs for room exception with wink wink resigning in 2019. Signs after all cap spent.

We'd have about 14 mil to work with.
That money could either go to Randle (12.5 cap hold) or to KCP, depending on who balls out this season. If the FA max's are LBJ and PG, KCP may be the better fit, though if Jules reaches potential, that would be a really good problem to have.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

Not if you want Lebron and another max.

Really? You think LeBron, who's worth over $300 million will need every bit of the max salary? I think he'll gladly take a few million less to keep a couple of young players with meager salaries.
When the team caps out there's no easy way to add players, he knows that from his "top heavy" Cavaliers team. Getting rid of tradeable assets, or potential contributors, to make what amounts to peanuts to him would be utterly foolish. Durant left $10 million on the table this year and 5 last, LeBron will do the same IF he wants to come to LA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Salary Cap
$102,000,000

$101,276,926

My hope is:

LBJ- 36.1
PG- 30.9
Ball- 7.5
Ingram 5.7
Nance 2.2
Kuzma 1.7
Hart 1.7
Zubac 1.5
Bryant 1.3
Min sal -.8
min sal -.8

Total 88.6

Lopez signs for room exception with wink wink resigning in 2019. Signs after all cap spent.

That money could either go to Randle (12.5 cap hold) or to KCP, depending on who balls out this season. If the FA max's are LBJ and PG, KCP may be the better fit, though if Jules reaches potential, that would be a really good problem to have.

If we are asking a team to spend $30 on JC and Deng then you had better expect to get a bad contract in return.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Robster8989 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Salary Cap
$102,000,000

$101,276,926

My hope is:

LBJ- 36.1
PG- 30.9
Ball- 7.5
Ingram 5.7
Nance 2.2
Kuzma 1.7
Hart 1.7
Zubac 1.5
Bryant 1.3
Min sal -.8
min sal -.8

Total 88.6

If we are asking a team to spend $30 on JC and Deng then you had better expect to get a bad contract in return.

I think Clarkson gets PT and solid stats this year, he is movable if we include an asset (like a 2nd rounder, or possibly Nance/Zubac).
Indeed, Deng is the greater challenge.
Carroll was moved for a 1st and 2nd with 2 years remaining on his deal. Deng may cost a bit more. Maybe a 1st, 2nd an an asset, or even 2 1st.
Still a price I'd pay to add LBJ and PG.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Re: Westbrook

Quote:
The primary difference, and it could be key, is the years. The rules of the designated player extension stipulate a minimum of five years (with only a player option available for Year 5). Signing that deal would put Westbrook under contract until he's 34 years old. If he waited until next summer, he could sign a two- or three-year deal, and hit free agency again at 31 or 32.

Quote:
That come next summer, he might have an eye elsewhere? Not necessarily, but it surely doesn't give the Thunder a lot of confidence, especially after watching Durant walk away in free agency last summer after affirming and re-affirming his loyalty to the organization, both publicly and privately.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20438305/nba-why-russell-westbrook-signed-207-million-deal
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

So apparently Iman Shumpert wants a trade from the Cavs, looks like the writing is on the wall for a overhaul post-LeBron.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
So apparently Iman Shumpert wants a trade from the Cavs, looks like the writing is on the wall for a overhaul post-LeBron.

Now scrubs are demanding trades?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

A vet nonetheless so that tells you that some of the current players on the Cavs know the Cavs are gonna be very different by next summer and don't want to be stuck in that situation.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

The tell tale sign will be what they do with that Brooklyn pick. If Lebron is not committed long-term, they must absolutely keep it for rebuild. Imo, Lebron is gone but I'm not 100% on it being the lakers. Could be 1 of a handful of teams. Savannah's vote is probably LA so that's a factor but it won't be only factor.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The tell tale sign will be what they do with that Brooklyn pick. If Lebron is not committed long-term, they must absolutely keep it for rebuild. Imo, Lebron is gone but I'm not 100% on it being the lakers. Could be 1 of a handful of teams. Savannah's vote is probably LA so that's a factor but it won't be only factor.

Explain how a handful of teams can chase LeBron considering only a few teams in that list who will have big cap room (LA/Philly) will be the only teams who will realistically have a chance at LeBron.

Lakers are the only team that can give what LeBron wants. He might like the Philly situation but they don't have much revenue in entertainment and business.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Explain how a handful of teams can chase LeBron considering only a few teams in that list who will have big cap room (LA/Philly) will be the only teams who will realistically have a chance at LeBron.

Lakers are the only team that can give what LeBron wants. He might like the Philly situation but they don't have much revenue in entertainment and business.

I think the lakers are the favorite based on what I said in response to your post in another thread that Lebron is coming

But to answer your question, teams can clear space if they really wanted to. The handful of teams that I think are in the running (other than lakers) are the Spurs, Heat, 76ers, Clippers and Knicks. The last 2 are long shots but they could move $ if Lebron says he would come.

Lakers are the favorite but they have to perform well enough for 2 max guys to join. Can't win less than 30 again.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think the lakers are the favorite based on what I said in response to your post in another thread that Lebron is coming

But to answer your question, teams can clear space if they really wanted to. The handful of teams that I think are in the running (other than lakers) are the Spurs, Heat, 76ers, Clippers and Knicks. The last 2 are long shots but they could move $ if Lebron says he would come.

Lakers are the favorite but they have to perform well enough for 2 max guys to join. Can't win less than 30 again.

I just think LeBron has already made up his mind on coming to the Lakers, let's not forget about the gushing LeBron had about Magic, they both have a very good relationship and who better then Magic to teach LeBron on how to potentially run a team someday
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I just think LeBron has already made up his mind on coming to the Lakers, let's not forget about the gushing LeBron had about Magic, they both have a very good relationship and who better then Magic to teach LeBron on how to potentially run a team someday

Could be

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/platform/amp/2017/8/25/16205372/la-lakers-free-agency-rumors-lebron-james-nba-cleveland-cavaliers-magic-johnson-ownership-house

The noise keeps growing. Where is big baller? Ric Bucher basically plagiarized what Big Baller told us months ago
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Ric Bucher should be considered a god by Laker fans if he's right.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if there is any way to get the Bucks to take Deng + future 1st, while giving us something like: Hawes (expiring) + Teltovic (10.5m in 2018) or Henson (owed 20m over 2 years).

Jabari won't be back for a while, and seems they don't want Giannis to constantly play PF with all the banging.

We Teletovic, we could stretch the 10.5m into a smaller amount (around 3.5m hit) that Deng's nearly 35m remaining would be (7m+/year).

Same with Henson who would be a cheaper stretch amount (around 4m/year). Those extra amounts may count cap wise.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Magic Johnson will be a Key factor in any decision a star player makes in deciding to come to the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Bucks would get a somewhat productive PF backup and starter while Jabari is recovering. Thon gets a fellow Sudanese on his team.

If we take back Teletovic, the Bucks are basically taking on 1 year of Deng for a future 1st.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Re: Westbrook

Quote:
The primary difference, and it could be key, is the years. The rules of the designated player extension stipulate a minimum of five years (with only a player option available for Year 5). Signing that deal would put Westbrook under contract until he's 34 years old. If he waited until next summer, he could sign a two- or three-year deal, and hit free agency again at 31 or 32.

Quote:
That come next summer, he might have an eye elsewhere? Not necessarily, but it surely doesn't give the Thunder a lot of confidence, especially after watching Durant walk away in free agency last summer after affirming and re-affirming his loyalty to the organization, both publicly and privately.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20438305/nba-why-russell-westbrook-signed-207-million-deal

The per year salary is the same for both scenarios, the years are the difference. He will want to maximize his long term earnings.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He lost his job from the Celtic trade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1746, 1747, 1748 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 1747 of 1813
Jump to: