OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1811, 1812, 1813

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
davidse wrote:
Obviously OKC can resign George and offer him max money.

But looking at their possible huge tax bill (repeater, etc), is it a lock that they actually choose to offer George a max deal having already achieved their goal of locking up WB long term ?

Ownership may go for it, but I think there's a chance that the WB extension actually lessens their motivation to do that...

I think they'll have a "first let's see how close to the Warriors we can get this season" approach before making that call.

So the hopes are essentially now "maybe OKC will be cheapskates..."

Or maybe they've finally learned their lesson from losing Jeff Green, Reggie Jackson, James Harden and Kevin Durant.

They haven’t been, they have been paying tax. They are trying to win, not save money. I could see PG signing a 3 year deal with an opt out after 2 years. If OKC hasn’t made enough noise by that time, they blow it up and he signs elsewhere as a 10-year vet making 35% of the cap.

In 2016-17 they DID NOT pay the luxury tax.

In 2015-16, with KD/WB/Ibaka and a contending team, they paid 14m in luxury tax (and they lost $ b/c of it).

In 2014-15, they paid luxury taxes for the first time ever. A whopping 3m.

So, for the existence of the OKC franchise (2008-present), they've paid 17m in luxury taxes.

Their future bills are several multiples higher than that. I don't buy for a minute that ownership is willing to jump into a tax bill in the future that could approach 140m (according to Bobby Marks), let alone the salary. They LOST money when they paid 14m in luxury taxes, what happens when they have to pay 140m?

http://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/the-luxury-tax-and-what-it-means-for-the-thunder/article_c27c8908-4c8b-11e7-b83b-474df2732455.html

http://newsok.com/article/5411180

Yet that is what they are doing.

Way to ignore the more prescient and vital point. Just b/c you are used to paying a nominal amount a year doesn't mean you will play an astronomically larger amount the next year. They lost money when they paid $14m in luxury taxes. Imagine how bad it would get if that number approaches 100m, or 140m?

They are paying around $57 mil in tax this season

And no one is disputing THIS season. They're all in now.

But next 3-4 seasons? Paying an aging WB an average of 40m, and re-signing an aging Melo for lord knows how much? I don't see it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bill Oram‏Verified account
@billoram

Chris Bosh is at Lakers practice today, sitting with Rob Pelinka.

If anything, I'm more expecting a FO type role than a player role TBH
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Would love Bosh on the coaching staff.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

More Lebron catnip.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
@billoram

on his way to his doctor's appointment?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
davidse wrote:

But looking at their possible huge tax bill (repeater, etc), is it a lock that they actually choose to offer George a max deal having already achieved their goal of locking up WB long term ?

Ownership may go for it, but I think there's a chance that the WB extension actually lessens their motivation to do that...

I think they'll have a "first let's see how close to the Warriors we can get this season" approach before making that call.

Or maybe they've finally learned their lesson from losing Jeff Green, Reggie Jackson, James Harden and Kevin Durant.

They haven’t been, they have been paying tax. They are trying to win, not save money. I could see PG signing a 3 year deal with an opt out after 2 years. If OKC hasn’t made enough noise by that time, they blow it up and he signs elsewhere as a 10-year vet making 35% of the cap.

In 2015-16, with KD/WB/Ibaka and a contending team, they paid 14m in luxury tax (and they lost $ b/c of it).

So, for the existence of the OKC franchise (2008-present), they've paid 17m in luxury taxes.

Their future bills are several multiples higher than that. I don't buy for a minute that ownership is willing to jump into a tax bill in the future that could approach 140m (according to Bobby Marks), let alone the salary. They LOST money when they paid 14m in luxury taxes, what happens when they have to pay 140m?

http://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/the-luxury-tax-and-what-it-means-for-the-thunder/article_c27c8908-4c8b-11e7-b83b-474df2732455.html

Way to ignore the more prescient and vital point. Just b/c you are used to paying a nominal amount a year doesn't mean you will play an astronomically larger amount the next year. They lost money when they paid $14m in luxury taxes. Imagine how bad it would get if that number approaches 100m, or 140m?

But next 3-4 seasons? Paying an aging WB an average of 40m, and re-signing an aging Melo for lord knows how much? I don't see it.

They have committed publicly to next season as well
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
@billoram

If anything, I'm more expecting a FO type role than a player role TBH

I was thinking that but since he isn’t a Buss or former Laker, I don’t think he would qualify. Maybe just visiting with Pelinka.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
davidse wrote:

They have committed publicly to next season as well

That’s news to me. Any links?

All I know is that for this year alone they’re going all in. What happens if this experiment doesn’t work out?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

It was a tweet by Woj a few pages back, around the time of the Westbrook signing. As for it working or not, Melo will still be here with a NTC, not much they can do.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Would love Bosh on the coaching staff.

“No, I don’t want to coach,” Bosh said. “I will always be around the game of basketball. I think, if I do, it would be young minds. But grown men? No. I would not want to do that.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/heat-check/article144969419.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1811, 1812, 1813
Page 1813 of 1813
Jump to: