OFFICIAL 2017 FREE AGENCY (Lakers sign Bogut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

Only 2 pages so far!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I keep thinking the Lakers would be interested in Blake Griffin or Serge Ibaka as max players. Both present issues but just preliminary thoughts.

Curious what type of production or development you would want to see from Randle and Nance this season to diminish the interest in either max player.

I think it's more dependent on Blake's production, and whether he wants to leave the Clips. If he's interested in the lakers, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Ibaka, I see him as a stretch big guy that may interest the Lakers. Orlando may keep him, but they just spent a boatload on FAs.

I understand the added production and experience of either Griffin or Ibaka.

IMO Randle and Nance show little flashes of developing into similar players. Long way from being there but flashes.

IMO if Randle was able to be a bit more Alpha, play defense and improve his jumpshot he is closing the gap on Blake. Question is can he be more efficient and be a reliable 21/8 player?

And Nance's defensive impact aided by improved range possibly close the gap on Ibaka?

If they start closing the gaps perhaps the Lakers will not need to use a max salary on either Griffin or Ibaka.

Big question is can either improve enough to make us forget about the older pros?

Of course how our young guys fare will be important. Bear in mind, Randle will be eligible for 20m+ extension after this season. Is he going to be worth that? Who knows.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I keep thinking the Lakers would be interested in Blake Griffin or Serge Ibaka as max players. Both present issues but just preliminary thoughts.

Curious what type of production or development you would want to see from Randle and Nance this season to diminish the interest in either max player.

I think it's more dependent on Blake's production, and whether he wants to leave the Clips. If he's interested in the lakers, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Ibaka, I see him as a stretch big guy that may interest the Lakers. Orlando may keep him, but they just spent a boatload on FAs.

I understand the added production and experience of either Griffin or Ibaka.

IMO Randle and Nance show little flashes of developing into similar players. Long way from being there but flashes.

IMO if Randle was able to be a bit more Alpha, play defense and improve his jumpshot he is closing the gap on Blake. Question is can he be more efficient and be a reliable 21/8 player?

And Nance's defensive impact aided by improved range possibly close the gap on Ibaka?

If they start closing the gaps perhaps the Lakers will not need to use a max salary on either Griffin or Ibaka.

Big question is can either improve enough to make us forget about the older pros?

Of course how our young guys fare will be important. Bear in mind, Randle will be eligible for 20m+ extension after this season. Is he going to be worth that? Who knows.

Kind of illustrates my point.

Lakers will need to decide which is the better option. Maxing a 29 year old established pro in Griffin or extending an improving 23 year old Randle.

In a couple years, how much Randle closes that gap makes a world of difference IMO.

Same as I pointed out with Ingram or George too.

This year has many interesting story lines beyond wins/losses. How the young core fits into the system and produce could have some implications beyond the court.

Can not wait for the season to start!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Michael Carter-Williams

The player in the 2013 draft who most resembles Turner is Carter-Williams, another Sixers refugee. A 6-foot-6 point guard who can do a little bit of everything, Carter-Williams was the Rookie of the Year with the 76ers, averaging 16.7 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 6.3 assists a game. The only thing he can’t do is shoot, which happens to be a big problem in today’s game. The 76ers shipped him out before his trade value around the league collapsed, getting a future first-round pick in a three-team deal that sent MCW to the Bucks. He didn’t keep his starting spot in Milwaukee for long, either, as the decision to turn Giannis into a point guard made his skill set redundant, and the Bucks don’t have enough spacing on the floor to succeed when playing both Antetokounmpo and Carter-Williams.

Given MCW’s physique and skill set, the comparisons to Shaun Livingston are clear. Even if Carter-Williams’s fight back to relevance won’t be nearly as dire as Livingston’s journey after his catastrophic knee injury in 2007, he could see a renaissance like the one Livingston has enjoyed in Golden State if he lands in the right situation. Livingston doesn’t shoot 3s, but he doesn’t need to while playing next to the Splash Brothers. He has carved out a niche in the post, using his 6-foot-7 frame to bully reserve guards and shoot over the top of them. Put enough perimeter weapons around Carter-Williams, and there won’t be many second-unit defenders who can handle him, either.

https://theringer.com/2013-nba-draft-class-michael-carter-williams-nerlens-noel-43226fe930a4#.vfall91br

The bolded is precisely why I'm intrigued by him. Conceivably if he's our 6th man, would play with DLO or JC, and have Ingram at SF (i.e. good shooters around him).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject:

Milwaukee is already at 102m in guaranteed deals for 2017, though it's expected that Monroe opts out or is traded by then.

Jabari is eligible for an extension after this year, and MCW is a RFA. Methinks he is there for the taking if the offer is right.

How about Lou + 2 2nd rounders?
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject:

I still believe in Ibaka and would love to sign him next summer. In today's NBA he should be a stretch 5, not a 4 like how OKC used him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
I still believe in Ibaka and would love to sign him next summer. In today's NBA he should be a stretch 5, not a 4 like how OKC used him.

This is why I think the Lakers may be intrigued. An interesting closing lineup of:

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Ibaka

would be interesting, with Moz/Zubac being the behemoths to pound opposing centers all game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gooner wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2014/15 offseasons we shamelessly went after the superstar names and punted when we failed.

2016 offseason we immediately went after lower tier veterans, likely b/c we knew the top names weren't coming.

I'm at a complete loss as to how 2017 will go. Will we follow the 2014/15 model or the 2016 model?

Will we try to offer large 1 year deals to preserve cap space for 2018?

Probably depends on how successful the 2016-17 season is.

Assuming we are a bottom 5 team, and say we don't get a top 3 pick, we'd have 31-32m in cap space, and as soon as the draft is over, IIRC, we could package a 2018 1st, and we'd also have 2 2018 2nd rounders.

We can't include the 2018 1st because we owe the 2019 1st to Orlando in that situation. Correct?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gooner wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2014/15 offseasons we shamelessly went after the superstar names and punted when we failed.

2016 offseason we immediately went after lower tier veterans, likely b/c we knew the top names weren't coming.

I'm at a complete loss as to how 2017 will go. Will we follow the 2014/15 model or the 2016 model?

Will we try to offer large 1 year deals to preserve cap space for 2018?

Probably depends on how successful the 2016-17 season is.

Assuming we are a bottom 5 team, and say we don't get a top 3 pick, we'd have 31-32m in cap space, and as soon as the draft is over, IIRC, we could package a 2018 1st, and we'd also have 2 2018 2nd rounders.

We can't include the 2018 1st because we owe the 2019 1st to Orlando in that situation. Correct?

Hmm, not sure. Stepien rule I presume. You may be right. Then it would be nice to have a 1st rounder that is not encumbered, plus 2 2nd rounders.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

Shams Charania ‏@ShamsCharania 2m
2 minutes ago

Metta World Peace has reached agreement on a deal to re-sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources tell The Vertical.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

This is why I think the Lakers may be intrigued. An interesting closing lineup of:

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Ibaka

would be interesting, with Moz/Zubac being the behemoths to pound opposing centers all game.

I love that lineup on the defensive end.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Ibaka

Of course that puts into question what we do with Randle/Nance, as they could put up good seasons too this year.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Ibaka

Of course that puts into question what we do with Randle/Nance, as they could put up good seasons too this year.

That's a good problem to have, but I have a feeling that if we sign Ibaka that either Nance or Randle could be moved. Randle's potentially $20 million extension being the main reason.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:

So a center rotation of Mozgov, Ibaka, Zubac, Nance and Randle? Why would Ibaka sign up for sharing minutes?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

So a center rotation of Mozgov, Ibaka, Zubac, Nance and Randle? Why would Ibaka sign up for sharing minutes?

It would be Ibaka starting at PF, then playing small ball C.

Of course, this is a moot point if Randle/Nance ball out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

Ibaka's best days are behind him, though the idea of someone with that flexibility is something I think the FO pursues. Or a guy who can backup the 1 and 2. I just don't see them using a max contract to do so.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ibaka's best days are behind him, though the idea of someone with that flexibility is something I think the FO pursues. Or a guy who can backup the 1 and 2. I just don't see them using a max contract to do so.

Agreed that his best days are behind. But in Luke's system, a big man who can hit the 3 and protect the rim would be ideal. And he's bigger than Black/Randle/Nance as a small ball center.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Milwaukee is already at 102m in guaranteed deals for 2017, though it's expected that Monroe opts out or is traded by then.

Jabari is eligible for an extension after this year, and MCW is a RFA. Methinks he is there for the taking if the offer is right.

I would do that trade. Getting MCW this season would be great as we could sign other free agents first and then match any offer he gets from another team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I would do that trade. Getting MCW this season would be great as we could sign other free agents first and then match any offer he gets from another team.

Yeah. I would be highly open to this upon further thought. Would provide so much length for the team.

However, Bucks prize length (Giannis, Middleton) so it makes sense for them to think about keeping him. But they have a pretty bloated payroll as it stands.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Ibaka

Looks good on paper but I don't think the Magic trade Vic and a lottery pick just to let a guy go after 1 season. They probably knew before doing the trade with the new market it would take max or close to the max to keep him. Not to mention his skills has seemed to be on the decline. This will be a big year for him in Orlando.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

DLO
JC
Ingram
Deng
Ibaka

Looks good on paper but I don't think the Magic trade Vic and a lottery pick just to let a guy go after 1 season. They probably knew before doing the trade with the new market it would take max or close to the max to keep him. Not to mention his skills has seemed to be on the decline. This will be a big year for him in Orlando.

Yeah. But will they give him a 5 year, nearly 30m/year max? Not sure. I'd rather pay Oladipo 22m/year.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Also if the Warriors really had interest in Mozgov as reported and the Lakers sign another big and/or Zubac develops quickly, a Mozgov for Livingston S&T could be possible :lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Also if the Warriors really had interest in Mozgov as reported and the Lakers sign another big and/or Zubac develops quickly, a Mozgov for Livingston S&T could be possible :lol

Sorry. Their GM saw all your anti-Moz posts and decided to decline.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Sorry. Their GM saw all your anti-Moz posts and decided to decline.

Will be interesting to see what the Warriors do with that 11M in cap space.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

Nance and Randle are natural 4s, but if we do sign Ibaka I'm sure other roster changes would be made (potential amnesty for Moz, trade Randle, etc.)

I'm sure the FO sees the roster as pretty fluid at the moment.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 1811, 1812, 1813  Next
Page 3 of 1813
Jump to: