Lakers Agree to 1 Year Deal with Thomas Robinson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
All the people making fun of this signing just remember Hassan whiteside was a journeyman and Ariza was a 10th man before coming to LA. So lets wait and see cuz dude has to have talent to have big game in NBA

I'm of the opposite opinion on TRob. I actually think he's overqualified for a camp invite.

Yeah, seems like he'd get a more solid offer from some team. Perhaps he really wants to be here for some reason. Maybe he wrote a screenplay that he wants to pitch around town.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If Robinsons deal is guaranteed can they add him to a Young trade to sweeten the deal? But if it don't... It do.

100. When can't a player be traded? Can players be given "no-trade" clauses in their contracts?

Quote:

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

For two months after receiving the player in trade, if the trade aggregates the player's salary with the salaries of other players. However, the team is free to trade the player immediately, either by himself or without aggregating his salary with other salaries. This restriction applies only to players who were acquired using an exception (and not cap room). (Also see question number 88.)

When the trade deadline has passed. Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended4, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.

For three months or until December 15 of that season (whichever is later) after signing a contract as a free agent
or matching an offer sheet to a restricted free agent. This obviously does not apply to the trade completing a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 91).

What would the roster look like to get Robinson to December 15?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
If Robinsons deal is guaranteed can they add him to a Young trade to sweeten the deal? But if it don't... It do.

100. When can't a player be traded? Can players be given "no-trade" clauses in their contracts?

Quote:

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

For two months after receiving the player in trade, if the trade aggregates the player's salary with the salaries of other players. However, the team is free to trade the player immediately, either by himself or without aggregating his salary with other salaries. This restriction applies only to players who were acquired using an exception (and not cap room). (Also see question number 88.)

When the trade deadline has passed. Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended4, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.

For three months or until December 15 of that season (whichever is later) after signing a contract as a free agent
or matching an offer sheet to a restricted free agent. This obviously does not apply to the trade completing a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 91).

What would the roster look like to get Robinson to December 15?

Thanks for clearing that up.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
This guy averaged 15/13 in his last 6 games with the Nets once he was given playing time. Interesting add.

Actually in the 6 games he did play in for at least 27 minutes, (31 average minutes in total) he was at 17 and 14 .....As it stands nothing to lose and everything to gain, still just 25, and with minutes he was at full tilt, he showed he has game, the potential is still there.....Camp will be quite competitive ...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
This guy averaged 15/13 in his last 6 games with the Nets once he was given playing time. Interesting add.

Actually in the 6 games he did play in for at least 27 minutes, (31 average minutes in total) he was at 17 and 14 .....As it stands nothing to lose and everything to gain, still just 25, and with minutes he was at full tilt, he showed he has game, the potential is still there.....Camp will be quite competitive ...

Honestly I know people will bring up Brooklyn of all people getting rid of Robinson but these are the same people who gave Boston 200 future 1st round picks.

Let's actually realize that before thinking Robinson doesn't have the talent to stick with a team.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm actually more puzzled by why he would join the Lakers on a training camp deal. He seems better than training camp fodder.

They are saying it's a 1-year deal (non-guaranteed). Without the details being released, I can only assume it's similar to Auguste's contract structure -- where he will be guaranteed vet. min money ($788,872 to $1,399,507) if he stays on the roster by opening night. I expect him to beat out Auguste for that last roster spot.

Could be the "Walton Effect"!
Vino24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject:

Love it!

He has some talent. After brook lopez and thad young were rested at the end of the year these were his stats:

Pts Reb Min

18 12 31
10 11 22
14 13 27
11 15 27
23 10 30
16 17 31

In other games where he started:

Pts Reb Min
18 17 40

If any starter produced those kind of numbers he would be getting a big deal.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject:

Vino24 wrote:
Love it!

He has some talent. After brook lopez and thad young were rested at the end of the year these were his stats:

Pts Reb Min

18 12 31
10 11 22
14 13 27
11 15 27
23 10 30
16 17 31

In other games where he started:

Pts Reb Min
18 17 40

If any starter produced those kind of numbers he would be getting a big deal.

Seems like he puts up legit big man numbers whenever he gets opportunity. Did well when Robin Lopez went down:

Quote:

On February 23, 2014, Robinson recorded 14 points and a career-high 18 rebounds in a 108–97 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves.[16] In 2013–14, he averaged 4.8 points and 4.4 rebounds in 70 games.

The 2014–15 season saw Robinson consigned to the bench, buried on the depth chart by the team's off-season addition of former All-Star big man Chris Kaman. Robinson's first real opportunity of the season came with the injury of starting center Robin Lopez, who fractured his right hand on December 15 in a win over the San Antonio Spurs.[17] Robinson made his first NBA start in the team's next game, a December 17 home contest against the Milwaukee Bucks, racking up 15 points and 16 rebounds to help the Trail Blazers win 104–97. He became the third Blazers player to put up at least 15 points and 15 rebounds in his first start; the other two being Bill Walton and Maurice Lucas.[18] In subsequent games, Robinson was paired with Kaman off the bench, playing solid reserve minutes as power forward behind LaMarcus Aldridge.[19]
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject:

Man, why are we stocking up so much on big men when we have a gaping hole at the 2/3 combo wing defender position? Are they confident that ABrown can bridge that position?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:

Which is why I said earlier he deserves to be on a team with a guaranteed contract.

Sucks he isn't a fit here with Randle/Nance/Deng already taking up all the minutes at the floor. TRob reminds me of Seth Curry, bothc could be a big time value steals for the right team.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Man, why are we stocking up so much on big men when we have a gaping hole at the 2/3 combo wing defender position? Are they confident that ABrown can bridge that position?

...Or keeping Nick Young.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

no worries, AB's got this....going to prove the doubters wrong with a solid year...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm actually more puzzled by why he would join the Lakers on a training camp deal. He seems better than training camp fodder.

They are saying it's a 1-year deal (non-guaranteed). Without the details being released, I can only assume it's similar to Auguste's contract structure -- where he will be guaranteed vet. min money ($788,872 to $1,399,507) if he stays on the roster by opening night. I expect him to beat out Auguste for that last roster spot.

I don't think there are any roster spots at this time.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

I was excited at first but then I realized I got Thomas Robinson confused with Patrick Patterson again. Both were 6-10 jumping jacks coming out of college but Patterson has a decent outside shot.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

What 2/3 combo wing defender are they missing out on?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

PJ Hairston.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Isn't that the whole point of using training camps to find out?

I mean, how many more PFs and centers do we need?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

We won 17 games, we need quality players. People ridicule Philly for having so many talented big men but I do not, if they prove they are quality NBA players that is a huge benefit for Philly going forward. We need talent more than we need any particular position. If we end up with more NBA quality bigs than we need, those are assets we can use in the future.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
laker_guerilla wrote:
this has to be more than camp fodder, really.

they are pressing their advantage and creating mega depth with versatile bigs including Yi.

this has to be a deal precursor

I haven't listened to Mega Depth in years.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We won 17 games, we need quality players. People ridicule Philly for having so many talented big men but I do not, if they prove they are quality NBA players that is a huge benefit for Philly going forward. We need talent more than we need any particular position. If we end up with more NBA quality bigs than we need, those are assets we can use in the future.

living in the Philly region, I beg to differ. Using top lottery picks to draft 3 centers in a row has been a disaster. Now they have to sell low with either Noel or Oak.

It's one thing to use a 15th man spot on a duplicate big man; it's another to use 3 lottery picks on the same spot (since none of the 3 can play PF).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

It is a free market, there will be opportunities for Philly to get market value for one or more of their bigs. Once a contending team loses theirs to injury the price goes up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It is a free market, there will be opportunities for Philly to get market value for one or more of their bigs. Once a contending team loses theirs to injury the price goes up.

teams are flying like vultures over the 76ers right now. Most likely 76ers aren't eager to pay 20m+ to Noel as he is up for an extension.

It was a flawed strategy to spend 3 precious lottery picks on the same position, drafting 2 injured players (Noel, Embiid). 1 I can understand; 3? That's idiocy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

I am not a fan of drafting by position, I believe in drafting the best player available. So if bigs are the best, I see no problem in drafting them. If we get a top 3 pick next offseason and the best player is a PG, I hope we draft him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I am not a fan of drafting by position, I believe in drafting the best player available. So if bigs are the best, I see no problem in drafting them. If we get a top 3 pick next offseason and the best player is a PG, I hope we draft him.

How about 3 years in a row?
fubby1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

Hmm, with all the bigs already on the roster will he even get to play?
But worth a look . Im thinking maybe the Lakers regretted not taking a good look at Whiteside...look where that went.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: