Lakers Agree to 1 Year Deal with Thomas Robinson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
B_P wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Black is owed 6m. He's not being cut.

Hmm, in that case...

1. Deng
2. Moz
3. Dlo
4. JC
5. Jules
6. Ingram
7. LNJ
8. L-Will
9. Calderon
10. Black
11. Yi
12. AB
13. Zubac
14. Huertas
15. T-Rob

I dig.
That would be a very fun squad to watch this year.

I rather have MWP over Robinson.

MWP is completely washed up as a player, there's nothing left there but muscle. He could be a D coach but hopefully we don't bring him back to continue to brick away...

Yeah I'd take Robinson over MWP or the other camp invites. By a pretty fair margin.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hmm, in that case...

1. Deng
2. Moz
3. Dlo
4. JC
5. Jules
6. Ingram
7. LNJ
8. L-Will
9. Calderon
10. Black
11. Yi
12. AB
13. Zubac
14. Huertas
15. T-Rob

I dig.

So, your projection is that the five cuts will be Auguste, Jacobs, Wear, MWP and Young. Well, ....

--Anonymous
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hmm, in that case...

1. Deng
2. Moz
3. Dlo
4. JC
5. Jules
6. Ingram
7. LNJ
8. L-Will
9. Calderon
10. Black
11. Yi
12. AB
13. Zubac
14. Huertas
15. T-Rob

I dig.

Young is owed $5 mil, I don't think we see him get cut either.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject:

I was a little surprised to see TRob do so bad in PnR (12th percentile)
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
B_P wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hmm, in that case...

1. Deng
2. Moz
3. Dlo
4. JC
5. Jules
6. Ingram
7. LNJ
8. L-Will
9. Calderon
10. Black
11. Yi
12. AB
13. Zubac
14. Huertas
15. T-Rob

I dig.

So, your projection is that the five cuts will be Auguste, Jacobs, Wear, MWP and Young. Well, ....

Without the benefit of the players actually being on the court, that is how I see the five cuts too.

- Young remains the wild card in the equation. Prefer him moved but it hasn't happened yet, so who knows what is going to happen with him.

- prefer Robinson over MWP on the final roster. Keep MWP on the coaching staff.

- Proposed roster is front line heavy. Would love to somehow see the back court equivalent of a Robinson type prospect added to the back court. Especially that SG/SF hybrid. Relying on Brown or potentially Young in that role concerns me. Too late as a signing but perhaps a voodoo trade by Kupchak?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Thomas Robinson received a non-guaranteed, one-year summer contract from the Lakers, Pincus tweets. Robinson’s non-guaranteed $1,050,961 salary is the same figure he would have been guaranteed if he’d exercised his player option with the Nets back in June.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

I can actually see Robinson playing really well in pre-season but that is if Luke is willing to use experiments, but knowing that Luke wants the team to gain chemistry and identity I'm guessing these guys will barely sniff any minutes unless it's during the last few games of the preseason.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Good addition to the team. He reminds me on Bass somehow. Great energy, athleticism and hustle. Our bigs at the moment: Mozgov, Zubac, Yi, Robinson, Randle, Nance, Black. Great depth but i am thinking who will be taken off the team

Comparison to Bass ? TR has better length but poorer hands and poorer intuition.

BB has a reliable jump shot and can catch the ball. Good hands.

Robinson has yet to do either catch or shoot reliably over four seasons. Runs a bit high for his position on turnovers too, both when catching and passing back out. Lacks any one go-to scoring move. Seems stuck skill-wise, may be unable to develop without a coach who finds the magic in him ?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Thomas Robinson received a non-guaranteed, one-year summer contract from the Lakers, Pincus tweets. Robinson’s non-guaranteed $1,050,961 salary is the same figure he would have been guaranteed if he’d exercised his player option with the Nets back in June.

Well, now we know he left guaranteed money on the table to get a crack at the Lakers roster. That's pretty cool actually -- seems like he's looking for fit over money. Kind of puts that "no team wanted him" speculation to rest.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

More likely he was hoping to cash in like everyone else this summer with a contract that was for more than the minimum and longer than one season.

I seriously doubt a camp invite to the Lakers was his goal. In fact, I would be willing to bet it wasn't.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Well, now we know he left guaranteed money on the table to get a crack at the Lakers roster. That's pretty cool actually -- seems like he's looking for fit over money. Kind of puts that "no team wanted him" speculation to rest.

you guys keep trying... I'll give you that...
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

For me, the greatest intrigue with TRob is the potential to convert him to a wing defender. He has similar physical attributes to some of the better wing defenders in the league, though he is a little bulkier. Massive wingspan, hand size, reach, athleticism, youth. End to end he's as quick as George, Butler and Kawhi. His agility is a hair under, though slimming down would probably help that. At either forward spot his inability to shoot is an issue. But he's quick off the ground and would put pressure on the opposing wing on the offensive boards. He can also finish above the rim. Growing into a guy that locks down on the perimeter and proves versatile defensively is probably his best niche.

It's role player potential, but in this economic climate you can make a lot of money as a role player who does things teams need. Finding a way to develop him in that way would be very Spurs-like.

Name Height w/o Shoes Height w/shoes Weight Wingspan Reach Body Fat Hand Length Hand Width No Step Vert No Step Vert Reach Max Vert Max Vert Reach Bench Agility Sprint
Thomas Robinson - 2012 6' 7.75" 6' 8.75" 244 7' 3.25" 8' 10" 5 9.75 10.5 28.5 11' 2.5" 35.5 11' 9.5" 15 11.96 3.17
Kawhi Leonard - 2011 6' 6" 6' 7" 227 7' 3" 8' 10" 5.4 9.75 11.25 25.5 10' 11.5" 32 11' 6" 3 11.45 3.15
Jimmy Butler - 2011 6' 6" 6' 7.75" 222 6' 7.5" 8' 5.5" 5.4 9 9 32 11' 1.5" 39 11' 8.5" 14 11.92 3.15
Paul George - 2010 6' 7.75" 6' 8.75" 214 6' 11.25" 8' 11" 5 8.5 9 NA NA NA NA 4 NA NA
Rodney Hood - 2014 6' 7.25" 6' 8.5" 208 6' 8.5" 8' 7" 7.5 8.5 8.5 29 11' 0" 36 11' 7" NA 11.21 3.38
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Curious about the accuracy of your Robinson measurements.

You have his 2012 draft stats. Other sites (ESPN/BBall Ref) are listing 6'10. Any thoughts? There is usually some embellishment but doubt he was wearing his 2 in shoes.

Interesting thought though. Athletic and high energy. Sounds very Nance-like to me. How would you compare their potential?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject:

I always consider the NBA draft combine to be the most accurate and generally get that from DraftExpress. It's not perfect but it's generally pretty decent.

Also, you have to account for growth when guys come in at 18 or 19 vs when measurements are taken at 20+. For example, here are LeBron's predraft:

2003 6' 7.25" 6' 8" 245 7' 0.25" 8' 10.25" 6.7

That was at 18.5 years of age. He's probably grown some and is definitely heavier. He's another guy with similar measurable to TRob, though his talent level is obviously waaaaaay higher.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject:

I love this signing.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We won 17 games, we need quality players. People ridicule Philly for having so many talented big men but I do not, if they prove they are quality NBA players that is a huge benefit for Philly going forward. We need talent more than we need any particular position. If we end up with more NBA quality bigs than we need, those are assets we can use in the future.

living in the Philly region, I beg to differ. Using top lottery picks to draft 3 centers in a row has been a disaster. Now they have to sell low with either Noel or Oak.

It's one thing to use a 15th man spot on a duplicate big man; it's another to use 3 lottery picks on the same spot (since none of the 3 can play PF).

Not sure about this comparison. Embiid hasn't been able to play because of injury, not because there's two other centers on the team, and the team overall has suffered getting nothing (thus far) from a high lottery pick.

Noel's value isn't depressed by being on Philly. Teams know what kind of player he is. And Okafor's value hasn't been diminished because there's other centers on the team, but because he's turned out to be what many people were concerned he was: a 1-way player whose abilities are better suited for a bygone era.

I think the "disaster" in Philly has more to do with bad luck and bad culture (no veterans, Hinkie's failure to cultivate relationships or make players feel like they're anything more than assets) than it does with having 3 centers on the roster.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

If he is looking for fit he should have picked a team that wasn't loaded with quality young bigs.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject:

There are only two things that a player who signs a nonguaranteed contract a week before training camp is looking for.

1) Is it an NBA team?
2) Will they sign me?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We won 17 games, we need quality players. People ridicule Philly for having so many talented big men but I do not, if they prove they are quality NBA players that is a huge benefit for Philly going forward. We need talent more than we need any particular position. If we end up with more NBA quality bigs than we need, those are assets we can use in the future.

living in the Philly region, I beg to differ. Using top lottery picks to draft 3 centers in a row has been a disaster. Now they have to sell low with either Noel or Oak.

It's one thing to use a 15th man spot on a duplicate big man; it's another to use 3 lottery picks on the same spot (since none of the 3 can play PF).

Not sure about this comparison. Embiid hasn't been able to play because of injury, not because there's two other centers on the team, and the team overall has suffered getting nothing (thus far) from a high lottery pick.

Noel's value isn't depressed by being on Philly. Teams know what kind of player he is. And Okafor's value hasn't been diminished because there's other centers on the team, but because he's turned out to be what many people were concerned he was: a 1-way player whose abilities are better suited for a bygone era.

I think the "disaster" in Philly has more to do with bad luck and bad culture (no veterans, Hinkie's failure to cultivate relationships or make players feel like they're anything more than assets) than it does with having 3 centers on the roster.

Bad luck? They drafted a guy with knee problems (Noel, who sat out a year); then drafted a center with foot problems (Embiid, who hasn't played), and to make things better, drafted a 3rd center in Oak who is now on the trade block.

It's bad planning.

And again, this has nothing to do with whether we spend a 20th training camp spot on another center. Thankfully we didn't waste 3 lottery picks on drafting injured centers.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

Any info on how he's doing in the practice? I'm very curious about his performance (just like everyone, I guess...).
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Any info on how he's doing in the practice? I'm very curious about his performance (just like everyone, I guess...).

I think he was working on his close range / mid-range jumpers with Julian Jacobs in those Laker nation clips. That appears to he his glaring weakness at the moment.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
B_P wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hmm, in that case...

1. Deng
2. Moz
3. Dlo
4. JC
5. Jules
6. Ingram
7. LNJ
8. L-Will
9. Calderon
10. Black
11. Yi
12. AB
13. Zubac
14. Huertas
15. T-Rob

I dig.

I rather have MWP over Robinson.

I'd rather have someone who can play basketball over AB.
I kid, I kid.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

I think he was working on his close range / mid-range jumpers with Julian Jacobs in those Laker nation clips. That appears to he his glaring weakness at the moment.

You are probably right because he is a solid rebounder and a pretty good defender. He is not a consistent jump shooter.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm a big Kansas fan and watched TRob a lot. I know he has limitations but he is a high energy guy that is willing to play defense and knows the game. I think he has potential and is worth taking a shot on. I doubt he is ever starter material but I can see him helping a team that desperately needs defense.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
I'm a big Kansas fan and watched TRob a lot. I know he has limitations but he is a high energy guy that is willing to play defense and knows the game. I think he has potential and is worth taking a shot on. I doubt he is ever starter material but I can see him helping a team that desperately needs defense.

He kinda reminds me of DeJuan Blair, If he ends up like him I would take it. Maybe in 2-3 years after he develops in the D-League or Europe we can bring him on board.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: