Neighbors who park in front of your house...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Neighbors who park in front of your house...

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this issue, but I'm curious how some of you have dealt with it.

I have a neighbor who constantly has guests and they park in front of my house. The neighbor lives across the street and down a house. Now, if it is only for a few hours or even a day, no big deal, but at times a car remains there for several days. It has now been 3 days and this car is still there. My house is on a corner, so there is plenty of parking down the side street. I feel like if you're going to be staying more than a day, you should park down the side street as common courtesy.

Of course the car is not a new beautiful Tesla, it's like a 15 yr old car with bumper stickers. Of course it is!

I get it. It's a public street so legally anyone can park there. But since I live on a corner, thats my only real spot to put my trash cans and I feel like there is an unwritten common courtesy to this. How have some of you dealt with this gray area?
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Ummm........talk to the neighbor?
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Do this.
(language warning)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I have a problem with my neighbor similar to yours. His friends park cars that stay for days at a time.

However my biggest problems is he and his friends park so close to my trash receptacles the sanitation driver can't pick up my container.

I printed a sign in very large red letters on my computer. It was very clear, the writing was very legible. It said YOU'RE PARKING TO CLOSE TO MY CONTAINER. THE DRIVER IS UNABLE TO PICK UP MY CONTAINER. PLEASE ALLOW SPACE. THANK YOU. I put it under the windshield wiper.

I stood in my window, watched his wife remove the note, throw in in the container and walk away.

The next day I asked her if she saw the note, she said no. I came close to going on stupid, I maintained. Saw her husband the same day, told him of my engagement with his wife. I don't know what he said to her but the cars now leave room for my container to be picked.

When I see her now, say how are you, she answers but I can see she don't like me no mo.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:

Ok, yeah, of course I thought of that. But this guy is one of these letter of law ahole East coaster types. In your mind imagine something like this in a new yorker accent...

"Show me the ordinance where it says I can park my car there".

And he's right, I can't. Doesn't mean it isnt annoying.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like it's time to start leaving dog poop presents next to the drivers side door.

Alternatively, 3 rows of medium sized rocks spaced far enough apart for the bins to nestle between, but would be uncomfortable to drive a car over.

For dealing with habitual offenders, hammering one of these signs on the corner outta do the trick. Sign
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Try not to think about. My neighbors have some illegal used car business. They use up the whole damn street. Just getting the garbage bins out is a win.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Ok, yeah, of course I thought of that. But this guy is one of these letter of law ahole East coaster types. In your mind imagine something like this in a new yorker accent...

You gotta play the long game. Befriend him. I'm talking barbecues, drinking, having him and his wife over for dinners. Then, as this friendship develops, occasionally drop in nuggets about how you'd like the front of your house to be clear. Don't make it obvious. Use inception. When the friendship cements, if he's still allowing his buddies to park there, then straight up ask if he can stop. Go up to him like, "hey man, you mind..." You guys are friends, he should have no problem with it.

Hey, maybe if you guys hit it off, he introduces you to his other friends. Then you can talk to them directly over beers.

It's all about dedication. How much do you really want it.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Print out all of your posts and scotch tape them to his car. Then when he questions you, ask him to engage you in a thread here. He'll make sure to prevent any possible interactions in the future.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Print out all of your posts and scotch tape them to his car. Then when he questions you, ask him to engage you in a thread here. He'll make sure to prevent any possible interactions in the future.

Get out of my (bleep) head.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

You gotta play the long game. Befriend him. I'm talking barbecues, drinking, having him and his wife over for dinners. Then, as this friendship develops, occasionally drop in nuggets about how you'd like the front of your house to be clear. Don't make it obvious. Use inception. When the friendship cements, if he's still allowing his buddies to park there, then straight up ask if he can stop. Go up to him like, "hey man, you mind..." You guys are friends, he should have no problem with it.

Hey, maybe if you guys hit it off, he introduces you to his other friends. Then you can talk to them directly over beers.

It's all about dedication. How much do you really want it.

That's a lot of work. But I do think that would work. =)
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

In my experience New Yorkers are fairly bright and reasonable people.

I'm sure if you base the conversation around the garbage days and needing space for your bins he'll understand.

Two things to remember, it's an actual social encounter so don't talk in circles, be direct and have a point. Second, be polite and friendly.

Do these things and your interaction with non internet people will be good.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

Get out of my (bleep) head.

I think I pee'd a little.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I have a full size truck so I usually don't have an issue but it happens from time to time and I know your feeling. I just try to park there as much as possible and when I take off, I'll park the old lady's car in that spot. So when I get back, BAM. I'M GOLDEN.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
I have a full size truck so I usually don't have an issue but it happens from time to time and I know your feeling. I just try to park there as much as possible and when I take off, I'll park the old lady's car in that spot. So when I get back, BAM. I'M GOLDEN.

Ha. I actually have two cars so I've thought of doing that. Plus, both of my cars are newer and in much better condition than what often ends up parked there.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

I just put my trash cans in front of the car.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I'm sure if you base the conversation around the garbage days and needing space for your bins he'll understand.

Two things to remember, it's an actual social encounter so don't talk in circles, be direct and have a point. Second, be polite and friendly.

Never said all New Yorkers were that way. Good suggestions but this guy has a reputation in the neighborhood that isn't a very good one.

I live in a non-HOA neighborhood and of course he's the same guy who doesnt cut his grass often, doesnt take great care of his house to the chagrin of the other homeowners, has guests who park in front of my house and others but will put an orange cone in front of his, you know.

Bottom line, talking to the guy is a lost cause because if he isnt legally required to move it, he just wont. So just curious to see what other ideas people had other than the obvious (which of course I and other neighbors have tried)
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Never said all New Yorkers were that way. Good suggestions but this guy has a reputation in the neighborhood that isn't a very good one.

I live in a non-HOA neighborhood and of course he's the same guy who doesnt cut his grass often, doesnt take great care of his house to the chagrin of the other homeowners, has guests who park in front of my house and others but will put an orange cone in front of his, you know.

Bottom line, talking to the guy is a lost cause because if he isnt legally required to move it, he just wont. So just curious to see what other ideas people had other than the obvious (which of course I and other neighbors have tried)

I know that guy. He's from the East Bay, likes to beat up Peninsula tech guys, drink Coors light and work on his charger in the driveway. You should have bought in an HOA or stayed in Palo Alto.

I'd stay as far away as possible. It's likely he's also a Raiders fan.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I know that guy. He's from the East Bay, likes to beat up Peninsula tech guys, drink Coors light and work on his charger in the driveway. You should have bought in an HOA or stayed in Palo Alto.

I'd stay as far away as possible. It's likely he's also a Raiders fan.

Spot on with the Coors light =)
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Get some sort of chocolate or poo-colored substance. Rub on trash bin handle.

Place trash bin as close to driver's side door as possible. I'm talking inches away. So he has to move it to enter his car, or has to enter his car via another door.
Place trash can out a full day before trash pickup day. Leave out trash bin an extra day after pickup. If trash man moves bin after pickup. Move bin next to car door again and wait a day before taking it in.

Repeat over and over again. He'll find somewhere else to park.
Might get your trash bin knocked over a couple times. So double bag your trash.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject:

On trash day put the bin right in front of the drivers door.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject:

Isn't there a 72 hour parking restriction in residential areas?
In los Angeles at least, I think
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Isn't there a 72 hour parking restriction in residential areas?
In los Angeles at least, I think

I'll have to look in to that (OC here), but curious, when does the clock start on that exactly?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject:

I don't get the outrage. It's a public street and not part of your property.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I don't get the outrage. It's a public street and not part of your property.
`

No outrage, just annoyance.

If they were 0.1 inch over the property line, would it change your feelings then? Or no?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: