Which player(s) need(s) to develop what ability for this team to overachieve?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Which player(s) need(s) to develop what ability for this team to overachieve?

Most people are projecting anywhere from 25-35 wins. What player improvement or breakout performance do you think would have to happen to make that go higher?

Examples:
Julius' outside shot?
Russell becomes a star?
Back court is unstoppable?
Ingram takes over both sides of the court?
Unstoppablee fast breaks?

I expect the guards to be impact shooters and scorers.
There won't be a hole in the middle of the defense.
The improved play on both ends by the sf's will be significant.
All those things will make a difference, along with a deep bench.
There should be better, more immediate chemistry because after youngsters spend the summer working out together.
The biggest surprises would be Julius developing a reliable jump shot and AB doing the same, thus deserving pt at sg/sf. Not sure if one, both, or none will happen.

Last edited by lakersboy on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Russell playing at a very high level would make the Lakers better than anyone expects. Ingram could be in that boat too, but he's extremely young. When one of those guys starts scraping their potential the Lakers will win some more games, when both of them start seeing their potential, the Lakers will be back in the playoffs.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Russell playing at a very high level would make the Lakers better than anyone expects. Ingram could be in that boat too, but he's extremely young. When one of those guys starts scraping their potential the Lakers will win some more games, when both of them start seeing their potential, the Lakers will be back in the playoffs.

There are lots of keys. I don't know how much Ingram has to give or what level Russell gets to or how quickly. Here's hoping.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject:

One of the young players need to turn into a superstar.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

For my $$$, the lowest hanging fruit (leading to overachievement this season) would involve Randle miraculously acquiring improved body control / motor coordination.

Starting fresh with a brand new cerebellum isn't an option, so ...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson becoming a good defender would be nice.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject:

very simple...if ingram and young can reliably hit open threes, we will be surprisingly good.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

People view the young core as a future playoff team so I should have just asked whose game needs to change for that to happen?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

People view the young core as a future playoff team so I should have just asked whose game needs to change for that to happen?

I would say Randle.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Dang, just one player? That's tough because it could come from so many. Russell's the most important cog, and simply having a green light and averaging 24/8 with decent defense would be great. Problem is I don't think he has much improving to do to get to this point. Just no parking brake.

Brandon Ingram on the other hand - if he reached his 4 year potential this year, combined with Russell - wow would we be an exciting team to watch. Deadly shooting and ability to split the seams with a PG like Russell feeding him and keeping a defense reeling. He's already capable of creating problems on defense. I'd pick Ingram tearing apart defenses as a scoring threat inside and out.

Still.... Zubac morphing into a seven foot one superman with a skyhook thanks to Grass Fed Tim, Julius Randle turning into a BB genius, Nance Jr. dangerous from long range, Clarkson with stifling defense, ABrown killing any team who dares leave him open, Tarik Black with 6 inches more vert....
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Honeslty I think a lot of it is going to come down to randle. I think we kind of know what to somewhat expect from everyone else, but randle is kind of an unknown imo. If he can be an above average defender, that would be huge for us. I think him being a good defender is more important than him having an outside shot. So yeah, if randle can defend and shoot, I think we can be better than expected. I'm already expecting Dlo to improve exponentially in most areas, I'm expecting clarkson to be relatively the same, with a somewhat improved defense, I'm not expecting much out of Ingram yet except to play sound D and knock down the 3 at a respectable clip, from nance I'm expecting a similar player to last season with an improved range. But yeah with randle I don't really know what to expect. He could either look like a future all star or like a scrub
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Honeslty I think a lot of it is going to come down to randle. I think we kind of know what to somewhat expect from everyone else, but randle is kind of an unknown imo. If he can be an above average defender, that would be huge for us. I think him being a good defender is more important than him having an outside shot. So yeah, if randle can defend and shoot, I think we can be better than expected. I'm already expecting Dlo to improve exponentially in most areas, I'm expecting clarkson to be relatively the same, with a somewhat improved defense, I'm not expecting much out of Ingram yet except to play sound D and knock down the 3 at a respectable clip, from nance I'm expecting a similar player to last season with an improved range. But yeah with randle I don't really know what to expect. He could either look like a future all star or like a scrub

i keep hearig people talking like this. i don't get the mystery with randle. it's pretty clear to me what to expect from him. randle is what he is...a hustle/muscle player. that's it. he's never going to do something like what ibaka did and start burying threes and stuff, he doesn't have that in him. he's a lebron, almost to a tee. he's never going to be a spectacular shooter, but he'll be able to at least shoot a decent percentage if he tries and he can aim for good stats as a goal. that's the max for him.
i guess there is some mystery for those hoping he will become a good shooter and turn into a draymond green type. well, don't get your hopes up. never in a million years.

he's big and strong, he has great heart, he hustles. this is the best thing he can offer.go berserk after rebounds, block the sh-- out of everything, scare the other team, set strong illegal screens...force the ref to call it, etc. what we essentially wanted dwight to do. so he already has that kind of mindset, i'd say forget about the scoring, that's not your thing. easy buckets, dunks, open jumpers, cuts, that's it. just go nuts on the hustle like a rodman.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Would take more than 1 player improving me thinks.

Russell learning to manage the team better
Clarkson turning into a good defender
Mosgov having one of his best seasons
Randle improving in just about every area
Nance playing well enough to deserve starting
Brown making shots
Zubac playing so well he solidifies the back up center minutes

If all that happens we might make the playoffs

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Which player has to develop what ability for this team to overachieve?

lakersboy wrote:
Most people are projecting anywhere from 25-35 wins. What player improvement or breakout performance do you think would have to happen to make that go higher?

Examples:
Julius' outside shot?
Russell becomes a star?
Back court is unstoppable?
Ingram takes over both sides of the court?
Unstoppablee fast breaks?

I expect the guards to be impact shooters and scorers.
There won't be a hole in the middle of the defense.
The improved play on both ends by the sf's will be significant.
All those things will make a difference, along with a deep bench.
There should be better, more immediate chemistry because after youngsters spend the summer working out together.
The biggest surprises would be Julius developing a reliable jump shot and AB doing the same, thus deserving pt at sg/sf. Not sure if one, both, or none will happen.

I've not expecting lightswitch improvements, or expecting the young guys to improve at an unreasonable race. I don't think we have any out-of-the-box superstars -- just guys with potential who might take a few years to reach it.

I think Ingram and Z will get pushed around in their first year. I think Russell will improve steadily, but not miraculously. I think Deng and Moz will provide veteran leadership. I think Clarkson and Randle will show they are solid but not special players.
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

I'll buy that. Clarkson becoming a lockdown defender would be fantastic. Lead to more fastbreak opportunities. And defense is infectious, so you figure it will rub off on the others.

D'Angelo and Clarkson will have to shape up their defense in a highly challenging guard league. No small feat but possible.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I would say Randle.

But, Randle was traded to Sacramento..?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
i keep hearig people talking like this. i don't get the mystery with randle. it's pretty clear to me what to expect from him. randle is what he is...a hustle/muscle player. that's it. he's never going to do something like what ibaka did and start burying threes and stuff, he doesn't have that in him.... i guess there is some mystery for those hoping he will become a good shooter and turn into a draymond green type. well, don't get your hopes up. never in a million years.

I can't agree with you here. While it may wind up being correct, it's WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too early to make that kind of prediction. You are talking about a 21 year old player with one year of experience. If he works hard on that aspect he will likely improve it. The level at which he can improve it though is a mystery, and it will likely take some time. That having been said the choices you choose as examples are good illustrations of why he could improve.

Ibaka for example didn't start shooting threes until his fourth season, at age 23, and he didn't start taking them regularly (above 0.7 per game) until his 5th season, at age 25. Green came into the league older than Randle is now, and shot 20.9% from 3 as a rookie (and 32.7% from the field overall). He shot 33.3% in his second season from 3 (and 40.7% from the field), 33.7% from 3 in his third season (at age 24) and 44.3% overall making a big leap last summer to 38.8% from 3p and 49% overall. Players who work hard can show big improvement. Of course some other guys work hard and just never show it. That can certainly happen. But it's far from a certainty either way.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I'll buy that. Clarkson becoming a lockdown defender would be fantastic. Lead to more fastbreak opportunities. And defense is infectious, so you figure it will rub off on the others.

D'Angelo and Clarkson will have to shape up their defense in a highly challenging guard league. No small feat but possible.

This. Dlo + jc need to become above average defenders.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject:

Anthony Brown being able to shoot would be a huge thing for us.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject:

If I had to pick one thing I'd say Russell's playmaking. I expect him to come back and improved scorer, but if he can show us more of the playmaking we saw in college it will make a big difference. Luke's system seems to be a good fit for him, I expect a big season out of him.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject:

how about... every single one of them.

it will take either amazing, noteworthy level of consistency from multiple guys or a rotating by game all-star level performances by different guys NIGHTLY just to hit 30wins.

They're college kids playing against the NBA for 2 more seasons which is why they're labelled the FUTURE.

We're looking for an overachiever in Dlo or ingram asap in order to package up the rest. If not, we move them all with the draft picks we'll get as they lose without trying to tank.

Don't get it twisted. We're in a search for "that guy" right now. Nothing more.

All the jianlians, mosgov's, dengs are just to provide an environment of opportunity to show potential. period.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject:

Clarkson - average defense at his position and 40% from 3
Russell - limit turnovers, great pick and roll play and average defense
Randle - outside shot, better inside outside passing, limit concentration lapses both on offense and defense
Ingram - show great defensive potential and outside shot
Mozgov and Deng - stay healthy
Zubac - earn around 15 backup minutes
Nance - great defense, outside shot, can initiate offense
Brown - lock down defender and decent 3 poi t shooter ( 34%)
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject:

I think it is important to build some team chemistry and team identity for the seasons to come. If we can make 25-30 wins plus team chemistry and young players improve on something little bit i am OK. I do not expect any of them become super stars next season. Also what is really importan is to to profile the boss for the team in future. I was looking last few days some games from champs run and you can see easily that black mamba was true boss. We need boss again because its great to have wide team with lots of pieces but you need to have a BOSS on the court. Ingram, DLO, JC. I really do not care. Just to find someone to take this team.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject:

The entire team has to embrace the concept of: DEFENSE!!
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject:

Randle isn't the guy with the most upside on the team, but he's probably the guy with the greatest variance between the player his collection of talents suggests he could be and what he currently is. Or was the last time we saw him on the floor. So, I'll go with him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: