New Law Forces IMDB To Remove the Age of Actors on Request

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: New Law Forces IMDB To Remove the Age of Actors on Request

http://gizmo.do/oIrIHvN

Now this is weird. Don't think I like the sound of this.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Discrimination isn't acceptable, but neither is deception / lack of transparency ...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Discrimination isn't acceptable, but neither is deception / lack of transparency ...

Yeah and I don't see how this is going to stop anything. It's not like a casting director can't ask for ID or alternatively a basic google search for a well known actor isn't going to come up with the same. Sounds just like another "look I'm doing something" type of law on the books among the gajillions that are already there.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
the association wrote:

Yeah and I don't see how this is going to stop anything. It's not like a casting director can't ask for ID or alternatively a basic google search for a well known actor isn't going to come up with the same. Sounds just like another "look I'm doing something" type of law on the books among the gajillions that are already there.

Not the same thing, and I recognize the INTENT behind license plate anonymity, but it's the same kind of uncomfortable feeling I have about this (bleep) ...

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article21103707.html
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
the association wrote:

Not the same thing, and I recognize the INTENT behind license plate anonymity, but it's the same kind of uncomfortable feeling I have about this (bleep) ...

Infuriating. It's not hyperbolic to make the claim that they are truly above the law in all but the most extreme of cases. Even getting caught red handed means nothing.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject:

If they were somehow able to completely eliminate the knowledge of age, how would they ever cast age appropriate actors?

It doesn't make much sense to cast a 17 year old actor in a grandparent role.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
the association wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
the association wrote:

Infuriating. It's not hyperbolic to make the claim that they are truly above the law in all but the most extreme of cases. Even getting caught red handed means nothing.

We get what we deserve, I guess. Over the past 30 - 45 years, we've enabled a kleptocracy to emerge and run rampant here in the U.S., exploited by this new oligarchy where the power rests squarely with members of our public safety community, and those otherwise aligned with their interests. All of the former features of an oligarchy are absent, though; at its foundation, it's the "just us", not "justice" ethos of a low-achievement cohort running this (bleep) ...
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
If they were somehow able to completely eliminate the knowledge of age, how would they ever cast age appropriate actors?

It doesn't make much sense to cast a 17 year old actor in a grandparent role.

I guess they're OK with visual-based discrimination, but not information-based discrimination ... ? This "17 year old as grandpa" example reminds me of any other adverse impact issue in the workplace. If you can establish that a job requires certain traits, training, skills, experience or whatever, you can effectively discriminate against certain populations lacking those traits, training, skills, experience or whatever ...

No need for blind + deaf air traffic controllers ... please and thank you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: