The Battle For The Lakers’ Backup Center Spot
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lakers’ Backup Center??
Zubac
34%
 34%  [ 30 ]
Black
39%
 39%  [ 35 ]
Yi
21%
 21%  [ 19 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 88

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: The Battle For The Lakers’ Backup Center Spot

Breaking Down The Battle For The Lakers’ Backup Center Spot

*The competition for backup center is going to be an intense battle and one to keep an eye on throughout training camp.

Quote:
One particularly interesting battle will be waged for the minutes available at center behind Timofey Mozgov. The potential candidates include Tarik Black, Yi Jianlian, and Ivica Zubac, who must not only outlast each other, but they also must prove that they are more valuable on the floor than a small lineup with Nance or Randle at center would be.

http://www.lakersnation.com/breaking-down-the-battle-for-the-lakers-backup-center-spot/2016/09/25/
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Yep, I went through it earlier. I think these different backup looks will be interesting to watch during the preseason.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Right now I'm thinking Yi get's it, but we'll see.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

It will probably depend on the matchup and what the coaches decide is our best chance at victory.

On a game to game basis.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:

To early to tell/vote. Need to watch preseason games IMO.

Also worth noting Yi has a non-guaranteed roster spot right now, while Black and Zubac have guaranteed roster spots - Yi needs to make the roster by opening night for his incentives to kick into effect:

Quote:
Essentially, if it is clear that Yi can't help the Lakers in training camp, all they'll owe him is $250,000. If he plays in 20 games, he'll make $3.4 million. If he plays in 40 games, he'll make $5.7 million. If he plays in 60 games, he'll make the full $8 million. This is an extremely team-friendly deal, and Yi has made a bet on himself. Should he become a consistent contributor for Los Angeles, he will be able to find a guaranteed, multi-year deal after the season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/explaining-yi-jianlians-unconventional-contract-with-the-lakers/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
To early to tell/vote. Need to watch preseason games IMO.

Also worth noting Yi has a non-guaranteed roster spot right now, while Black and Zubac have guaranteed roster spots - Yi needs to make the roster by opening night for his incentives to kick into effect:

Quote:
Essentially, if it is clear that Yi can't help the Lakers in training camp, all they'll owe him is $250,000. If he plays in 20 games, he'll make $3.4 million. If he plays in 40 games, he'll make $5.7 million. If he plays in 60 games, he'll make the full $8 million. This is an extremely team-friendly deal, and Yi has made a bet on himself. Should he become a consistent contributor for Los Angeles, he will be able to find a guaranteed, multi-year deal after the season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/explaining-yi-jianlians-unconventional-contract-with-the-lakers/

Fortunately we won't have to wait much longer because preseason is only a few days away!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Zu is my fav but I think just due to Mozgov being similar in terms of weaknesses, Black will be the 2nd guy. Very skeptical of Yi after GT's video.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject:

I like Black getting the back up minutes starting off. Hopefully he can take Bass's place from last year.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

I don't any one of the three is very good right now TBH. Zubac should probably get the minutes though since he has the highest ceiling of the 3 and we are in a developmental period.

Just out of curiousity, for anyone who voted Black...why do people like him so much? Every time I see him play I Just see a super hustle player who is vastly undersized for the C position who can't shoot and just rim dives/runs for all his points.

I know he hustles and is a very good rebounder, but don't know why people on this board always want to see him on the floor so much...maybe someone can educate me?
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject:

I still see Yi as a PF.
So I think both Blakc and Zubac see some light depending on matchups.
Maybe Black more at first but Zubac more later on when he gains more and more experience.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
I don't any one of the three is very good right now TBH. Zubac should probably get the minutes though since he has the highest ceiling of the 3 and we are in a developmental period.

Just out of curiousity, for anyone who voted Black...why do people like him so much? Every time I see him play I Just see a super hustle player who is vastly undersized for the C position who can't shoot and just rim dives/runs for all his points.

I know he hustles and is a very good rebounder, but don't know why people on this board always want to see him on the floor so much...maybe someone can educate me?

He's the typical underdog, not-too-skilled, hustling overachiever ala Kurt Rambis, he's an intelligent, likeable, team first guy.
He is our garbage man, he brings his hard hat and lunch pail ready to work and doesn't mind getting dirty.
Good at setting picks and rolling to the basket. He's the guy that shouldn't be here but by sheer hustle and will power here he is despite his obvious shortcomings.
TB could become a valuable trade piece later on especially if Auguste or one of the other camp invitees pan out.

Fans always love these type of players and every team needs at least one.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject:

I expect to have 3 different players at the C position each night, similar to GSW (they played player Bogut, D. green and one of Ezeli/Speights), since we will play more uptempo and Luke will expect the payers to not conserve energy, but give it all in short spurts. With this in mind I think Mozgov will only play around 25 minutes and the rest of 23 will be split between one of Nance/Randle and eitehr Zubac/Ying/Black depending on match-up.
I think the C rotation will fluctuate the most from game to game compared to the others.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject:

As a couple have mentioned, IMO it will be dependent on match-up on a nightly basis. There will be no one "backup" center. Against certain teams I would not be surprised to see Mozgov's starter mpg drastically reduced.

Just to expand on my reasoning:

- I think the Lakers go with all four centers for the season. The roster flexibility and player chemistry could get interesting with some of the possible rotations.

- With all four Cs, I question just how much Nance and/or Randle will play center at times. I am thinking very little.

- Same reasoning of Deng at PF. IMO he only plays it sparingly. His primary position and majority of his mpg will be spent at SF this season.

Expecting a competitive camp. Going to be very interesting to see which 15 make the final roster. Especially since there seems to be 4 or 5 players realistically competing for maybe 2 roster spots.

Who Walton actually keeps is intriguing as hell.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject:

The way I see it working out to be up front

Mozgov-24/Back up C-14/Nance-10
Randle-30/Nance-12/Deng-6
Deng-22/Ingram-26

Last edited by dcarter4kobe on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject:

I think moz will play more than16 mpg. He just averaged closer to 23 mpg in the euro tourney.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject:

My mistake, meant 24. Leaving 24MPG for Randle or Nance and Yi or Black.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
My mistake, meant 24. Leaving 24MPG for Randle or Nance and Yi or Black.

That's my guess too.
TylersLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

I voted Yi, but I think it'll be either Nance or Randle, for the most part.

We'll see a lot of Nance and Randle together once Mosgov goes to the bench. In spot situations, we'll see Yi when we need more outside shooting.

SF: Deng (22)/ Ingram (26)
PF: Randle (32)/ Nance (10)/ Deng (6)
C: Mosgov (25)/ Nance (15)/ Yi (8)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

Day 1, it will be Black...so it will be his to lose at that point. In regards to Nance, I am sure he can improve, but it was a disaster with him at the #5 in Summer League when Auguste and Zubac were on the bench....became a layup drill.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

Being such an athletic player, I was surprised Nance wasn't a better rebounder and shot blocker.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

It seems to me that if the Lakers are trying to mimic the GSW, then their main back up will be a small ball center in the mold of Draymond Green. I would think the closest the Lakers have to Draymond would be Yi or maybe Nance.

The Warriors started Bogut then went to Green. On occasion they would play Ezeli and then in the playoffs they were playing Varajao a lot.

Mozgov would be our Bogut. Yi or Nance might be our Green. Maybe Black would be our Ezeli.

Zubac will be handed the keys to the kingdom in a about two years or so.

Luke seems like a smart coach and will keep all his players primed with occasional playing time...unlike the "World's worst Coach" who would just put his players on ice and make them basically ineffective with no playing time or sporadic PT.

Unless Black has learned to dribble, pass and shoot threes, I think he'll just get spot time.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Being such an athletic player, I was surprised Nance wasn't a better rebounder and shot blocker.

It may be just a mental adjustment that takes time....in football, I have seen LB's and even Strong Safety's with great speed, ball skills, etc. transition to FS and struggle while trying to make the slight adjustments needed as the "last line of defense". It would not surprise me if some level's of Nance's and Randle's defensive habits are based on there being another "big" around to reduce the effects of their miscues....even Roy added another layer most of the time.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject:

lewis wrote:
I expect to have 3 different players at the C position each night, similar to GSW (they played player Bogut, D. green and one of Ezeli/Speights), since we will play more uptempo and Luke will expect the payers to not conserve energy, but give it all in short spurts. With this in mind I think Mozgov will only play around 25 minutes and the rest of 23 will be split between one of Nance/Randle and eitehr Zubac/Ying/Black depending on match-up.
I think the C rotation will fluctuate the most from game to game compared to the others.

Bingo
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
lewis wrote:

Bingo

I Co-sign: the battle starts tomorrow.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

lewis wrote:

I think people go too wild with the GSW comparisons.

Bogut is a proven player; Green is MVP worthy; and the Warriors have most games won by the third quarter so it doesn't matter who closes it out.

We have a bunch of 1-year and rookie players who are simply trying to make it in the league. Rather than predict rotations, I am wondering if Yi is going to last through his contract and if Zuboc is going to keep his head up, and get off the bench, once he starts getting pounded in games that count.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: