Kevin Garnett's Legacy

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Kevin Garnett's Legacy

He started it all in the modern era.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/kevin-garnett-sparked-a-dilemma-the-nba-ncaa-still-hasnt-been-able-to-solve

Kevin Garnett sparked a dilemma the NBA, NCAA still hasn't been able to solve

Quote:
When Garnett became the first player to go straight to the NBA from high school in decades, he helped sparked a revolution of some of the best who entered the game without ever stepping a foot in college. LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Amar’e Stoudemire and more.

“There’s no way that [Kobe Bryant’s dad] comes to me unless Kevin Garnett isn’t already in the league,” Vaccaro insisted. “I know for a fact Tracy McGrady wasn’t even thinking about it.”

He also, in turn, sparked the backlash that helped eventually form the one-and-done phenomenon where talented players lend their services to a university as a waiting period before they’re eligible for the NBA, where they likely would have gone without pretending to crack open a book for a semester or two.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

It's true that KG was the first of the wave, but the wave was coming anyway. There was a long, slow progression (M. Malone and D. Dawkins were aberrations). The NCAA made freshmen eligible. Then guys started leaving college after their junior years and succeeding. By the time Chris Webber came out after his sophomore year, it wasn't a big deal anymore. It was inevitable that someone would just skip college altogether.

What surprises me a little is that the international angle (Brandon Jennings) never took off. I understand that the culture shock of playing in Europe is probably tough for kids, but I really thought some agent would develop a specialty in European one-and-dones.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It's true that KG was the first of the wave, but the wave was coming anyway. There was a long, slow progression (M. Malone and D. Dawkins were aberrations). The NCAA made freshmen eligible. Then guys started leaving college after their junior years and succeeding. By the time Chris Webber came out after his sophomore year, it wasn't a big deal anymore. It was inevitable that someone would just skip college altogether.

What surprises me a little is that the international angle (Brandon Jennings) never took off. I understand that the culture shock of playing in Europe is probably tough for kids, but I really thought some agent would develop a specialty in European one-and-dones.

Probably because Jennings' career has been subpar. Mudiay did take the same route, but you're right, those cases are still few and far between
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

You have a point about Jennings' career. On the other hand, Jennings has made a lot of money in his career in the NBA. Reportedly, he made over a million bucks in salary and endorsements during his one year in Europe. Of course, his lack of success in Europe may have caused that well to dry up.

I keep waiting for some enterprising agent to come up with a system in Europe, sort of like the mill that Calipari has constructed at Kentucky. "Come to (Spain or Italy or Greece or wherever) for a year, live in the cocoon that we have constructed for you, make half a million bucks (or whatever), then enter the NBA draft. Forget pretending to be a college student and making some clown head coach look good. Forget NCAA rules. Work on your game full time, and enjoy the good life in your off time." Sooner or later, someone is going to try this.

I suspect that the culture shock issue is the real impediment here.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
You have a point about Jennings' career. On the other hand, Jennings has made a lot of money in his career in the NBA. Reportedly, he made over a million bucks in salary and endorsements during his one year in Europe. Of course, his lack of success in Europe may have caused that well to dry up.

I keep waiting for some enterprising agent to come up with a system in Europe, sort of like the mill that Calipari has constructed at Kentucky. "Come to (Spain or Italy or Greece or wherever) for a year, live in the cocoon that we have constructed for you, make half a million bucks (or whatever), then enter the NBA draft. Forget pretending to be a college student and making some clown head coach look good. Forget NCAA rules. Work on your game full time, and enjoy the good life in your off time." Sooner or later, someone is going to try this.

I suspect that the culture shock issue is the real impediment here.

I think you're just ahead of the curve on this AH. If you could get a sports agency and a Euro club or 2 to buy into this, you'd have a real money maker here
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

And there was Shawn Kemp, 7 years before KG. Like KG, he couldn't pass his SATs, so he spent a year in community college not playing basketball between high school and the pros.

You could build a great all-time team from the HS to the pros guys:

c - Moses Malone
pf - Kevin Garnett
sf - Lebron James
sg - Kobe Byrant
pg - Monta Ellis

bench - Tyson Chandler, Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady. Amare Stoudemire, Rashard Lewis
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

And there was Shawn Kemp, 7 years before KG. Like KG, he couldn't pass his SATs, so he spent a year in community college not playing basketball between high school and the pros.

c - Moses Malone
pf - Kevin Garnett
sf - Lebron James
sg - Kobe Byrant
pg - Monta Ellis

bench - Tyson Chandler, Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady. Amare Stoudemire, Rashard Lewis

TMac would definitely start next to Kob. Kob or LeBronze could easily play PG in that roster IMO
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

c - Moses Malone
pf - Kevin Garnett
sf - Lebron James
sg - Kobe Byrant
pg - Monta Ellis

TMac would definitely start next to Kob. Kob or LeBronze could easily play PG in that roster IMO

I was just keeping players in their actual positions.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
22 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

c - Moses Malone
pf - Kevin Garnett
sf - Lebron James
sg - Kobe Byrant
pg - Monta Ellis

I was just keeping players in their actual positions.

I take my hypotheticals VERY seriously

VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Gaaaaaaaarnett's legacy is that he's the best billy goat to ever play PF.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

He's great if you need someone to intimidate skinny white boys.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Kevin Gaaaaaaaarnett's legacy is that he's the best billy goat to ever play PF.

well, he is the devil.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: