Heat moving to mobile-only entry for games

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Heat moving to mobile-only entry for games

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/11/what-paper-ticket-heat-moving-to-mobile-only-entry-for-games/

Quote:
What paper ticket? Heat moving to mobile-only entry for games.

This is just another reason your grandfather doesn’t want to go to NBA games anymore — the man can’t figure out how to answer a text and you want him to use a mobile ticket?

The Miami Heat will do away with paper tickets and are moving to mobile phone entry only at American Airlines Arena starting next season, reports Darren Rovell of ESPN.

The Miami Heat announced Thursday that fans who attend home games this upcoming season will only be able to get through the gate with tickets on their phones.

In doing so, the team becomes the first in the NBA with mobile-only entry. Other teams, like the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Cleveland Cavaliers, have mobile-only ticketing, but they permit fans to use a driver’s license and credit card to get in.

Fans who walk up to Miami’s AmericanAirlines Arena on game night will receive Heat tickets on their phones, even though they are at the box office.

It’s a big leap, last year about a third of the people attending Heat games used mobile entry.

These mobile tickets are supposed to be still transferable, but it’s not difficult to imagine there could be glitches with that. The Heat say they think this will cut down on ticket fraud and lets them know more about the person entering the arena.

A number of teams — across multiple sports — prefer season ticket holders to use mobile entry and ask them to pay a little more for printed tickets. Still, those paper tickets — with pictures of players on them — were souvenirs for many. It’s not the same with a mobile ticket.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

Considering how much they charge for NBA games now, this is just wrong on so many levels just so they can save a few bucks. I doubt that savings will be passed down to the ticket holders.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately I think this kind of the thing is what the future will bring on a widespread basis. On one level, I think the idea of eliminating the reliance on physical tickets from an environmental and practical perspective makes a great deal of sense. But for the reasons pointed above, there is a loss of user ease and tradition.

Already you have music acts who are tying the original purchaser of a ticket to a concert to the ticket in a digital trail. You need to show up with your ticket and an ID to prove that you are the person who purchased the ticket. I get the desire to see that tickets are sold to true fans at the face value rather than have scalpers buy up all the tickets and sell them at jacked up prices. But there are also obvious downsides to that type of approach as well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

I'm the guy that always likes to print a physical copy as a backup in addition to a mobile pass. Saved me when I went to Hawaii last month and almost missed my flight. Mobile boarding pass wouldn't scan at security and they said I had to go back to the ticket desk to print one out. Luckily had one in my backpack.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Considering how much they charge for NBA games now, this is just wrong on so many levels just so they can save a few bucks. I doubt that savings will be passed down to the ticket holders.
lol who said that savings was for you mr ticket holder? thats for ownership.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

welp sucks that im living in miami this year
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I dont see how giving people the option to printing out their own copy hurts anything
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: