Who is better KG or Dirk?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

KG or Dirk?
KG
67%
 67%  [ 21 ]
Dirk
32%
 32%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 31

Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Who is better KG or Dirk?

I can't decide which player is better. KG is more all around player but Dirk was such a unique player. Both got Regular season MVP award but Dirk also got Finals MVP. Both got 2 Finals and 1 championship ring. KG got DPOY once.

So who is better?
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject:

Close call but I'll take KG.

Dirk's got him on offense but KG is the better defender, better passer, better team player IMHO. If I'm picking someone to build a team around I take KG over Dirk.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Who is better KG or Dirk?

Palin wrote:
I can't decide which player is better. KG is more all around player but Dirk was such a unique player. Both got Regular season MVP award but Dirk also got Finals MVP. Both got 2 Finals and 1 championship ring. KG got DPOY once.

So who is better?

Both great but very different players. KG has a much better all around game. Dirk is the greatest stretch PF. I wouldn't argue with either choice but I'd say KG
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject:

it's not close. kg is by far the more valuable player.

dirk is a great shooter, everything else kg is better. kg's shooting is not bad enough for dirk to top him as a better player.

kg didn't "change" the nba as drastically as kg. kg is an nba pioneer. so is dirk as far as a european success story and a tall shooter, but kg's place in history is far more important.

the only reason to pick dirk over kg is if you are already a contending team and you need specifically 3point shooting and a big man in one person. for all other reasons you go with kg.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Until Dirk improbably won a title a few years ago you would have been laughed off of this forum for making this comparison. The magic of ringz and Finals MVPs...
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Until Dirk improbably won a title a few years ago you would have been laughed off of this forum for making this comparison. The magic of ringz and Finals MVPs...

Umm...that's a pretty big thing. That's sorta the goal of the game.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:

Garnett has the same hardware you covet, but my point was that there are other ways to look at the game and an individual player's worth other than just looking at a team achievement. . It's a point I believe you have missed.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
+1
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:

Garnett has the same hardware you covet, but my point was that there are other ways to look at the game and an individual player's worth other than just looking at a team achievement. . It's a point I believe you have missed.

I voted KG. But that "team achievement" is also the ultimate achievement, the ultimate point of the game being played. It has the most weight in these type of arguments for good reason.

I suspect the non "team achievements" you covet has more team involvement than you think.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:

I voted KG. But that "team achievement" is also the ultimate achievement, the ultimate point of the game being played. It has the most weight in these type of arguments for good reason.

I suspect the non "team achievements" you covet has more team involvement than you think.

Everything has a degree of team achievement, but Garnett was devastating on both ends, something Dirk never was. The idea that they were ever to be compared would have been laughable until Dirk's team got hot for a few weeks and improbably won a title. Dirk was a terrific player, but this isn't a real comparison.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

I'm going with KG. Less overall weaknesses and 2 way player.

However, Dirk's legendary status as teammate is worth noting as KG has the reputation of being borderline lunatic.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:

Everything has a degree of team achievement, but Garnett was devastating on both ends, something Dirk never was. The idea that they were ever to be compared would have been laughable until Dirk's team got hot for a few weeks and improbably won a title. Dirk was a terrific player, but this isn't a real comparison.

Let's not diminish that accomplishment by saying they just "got hot". Dirk had a legendary postseason run. One of the best ever. The fact that they "improbably" won it is a testament to what Dirk did in that postseason. He was absolutely ridiculous.

What you're saying is akin to someone saying, "well, if he hadn't broke off that 80 yard run he'd only have 20 yards on 10 carries." "If you take away the 80 yard he wasn't as impressive."

It happened. You can't take it away.

He had one of the most dominant postseason runs in NBA history. This deserves to be a conversation. I'd still take KG, but Dirk does have a case.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:

Let's not diminish that accomplishment by saying they just "got hot". Dirk had a legendary postseason run. One of the best ever. The fact that they "improbably" won it is a testament to what Dirk did in that postseason. He was absolutely ridiculous.

What you're saying is akin to someone saying, "well, if he hadn't broke off that 80 yard run he'd only have 20 yards on 10 carries." "If you take away the 80 yard he wasn't as impressive."

It happened. You can't take it away.

He had one of the most dominant postseason runs in NBA history.

I wasn't trying to take it away. Garnett has one too, ya know. My point was that despite the one championship that Dirk has, a team achievement which Garnett also has, this isn't a contest.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

Dominant 2-way player vs nearly unstoppable offensive player.

No contest.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

ill take 2011 playoff dirk over prime Garnett
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

It started brewing long before then. In 2004, Dirk started to displace KG on first-team all-NBA, even though KG started winning rebounding titles. The finals win jettisoned Dirk's rep, but he was already a regular season MVP and perennial all-star before then.

On top of that, KG has hung around for a long time to diminishing results, so people forget how good and respected he was.

When it comes to PFs, it's Duncan, and then Malone, and then a scrum with Barkley, Dirk, and KG (and occasionally Bob Petit for those who remember him).
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

I'll never vote in favor of a guy who's played/won for that disgusting green jersey. /endof
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Dirk and KG were about equally valuable

Judging "better" in a vacuum is tricky.

Better for what is more important.

Without knowing what my roster looked like (team needs, skills, sizes, emotional make up of the roster, etc.) to place around KG or Dirk, I'd be impartial basically to choosing either one for my team.

But I guess if my main need was to pump up the defense and that I could use an emotional leader, I'd pick KG. But if my main need was a ultra-reliable scoring big man who could get along with an existing leader, it'd be Dirk.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirk and KG were about equally valuable

Wilkes52 wrote:
Judging "better" in a vacuum is tricky.

Better for what is more important.

Without knowing what my roster looked like (team needs, skills, sizes, emotional make up of the roster, etc.) to place around KG or Dirk, I'd be impartial basically to choosing either one for my team.

But I guess if my main need was to pump up the defense and that I could use an emotional leader, I'd pick KG. But if my main need was a ultra-reliable scoring big man who could get along with an existing leader, it'd be Dirk.

I'd pick KG as well but some people criminally underrate Dirk. Take a quick look at his roster's in the West during the period from 2000-2011 in which they won anywhere from 50-67 wins. 67 wins with Josh Howard as the 2nd best player. They've had some (bleep) show rosters outside of Dirk during the decade and a carousel of coaches before Carlisle to boot.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

KG is probably a better player pound-for-pound, but Dirk had the better career IMO (despite the paycuts). Dirk is also much more likeable.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
ill take 2011 playoff dirk over prime Garnett

That Dirk was like Kaio-Ken Goku. He couldn't possibly have been better.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

For me, it wasn't just getting that ring. It was him outplaying Kobe, Durant and LeBron while getting that ring. Those are the best of his era besides Shaq and Duncan, who he also got past to get to a Finals once.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:

It started brewing long before then. In 2004, Dirk started to displace KG on first-team all-NBA, even though KG started winning rebounding titles. The finals win jettisoned Dirk's rep, but he was already a regular season MVP and perennial all-star before then.

On top of that, KG has hung around for a long time to diminishing results, so people forget how good and respected he was.

When it comes to PFs, it's Duncan, and then Malone, and then a scrum with Barkley, Dirk, and KG (and occasionally Bob Petit for those who remember him).

dont forget hakeem.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:

dont forget hakeem.

Hakeem was capable of playing PF, but he never actually did. He's solely in the center discussion.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
KG is probably a better player pound-for-pound .

Huh? They were about the same size.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: