Mitch Press Conference to open Training Camp
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Mitch Press Conference to open Training Camp

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter · 20m20 minutes ago

Mitch Kupchak will be taking questions from reporters promptly here on the Santa Barbara campus as the Lakers tip off training camp.

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter · 9m9 minutes ago

“The Mayor of Santa Barbara,” as Kupchak opened, is Bill Bertka. Here’s a feature story from March on the 🏀 legend: https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/780831598128144384

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 9m9 minutes ago  Isla Vista, CA

Mitch Kupchak on training camp in Santa Barbara: "From a bonding and chemistry point of view, Luke and I thought this was a great spot."

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter · 9m9 minutes ago

Kupchak on this season: “I want this group to show great chemistry and get better and better … and be fun to watch.”

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter · 8m8 minutes ago

Kupchak implied this season is less about the win total - though winning is of course important - and more about development/improvement.

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter · 6m6 minutes ago

Kupchak on Ingram: “I don’t anticipate that he would start. That’s going to be based on Luke and preseason and what he thinks is best…”

Quote:

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter · 6m6 minutes ago

Kupchak said Ingram needs to prepare for the 82 games, getting stronger and getting his body ready. “I think he’s going to play a lot.”

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter · 4m4 minutes ago

Kupchak said Ingram, at age 18, held his own at USA Select Camp, but is stressing that it’s going to take time for him to develop fully.

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 1m1 minute ago  Isla Vista, CA

Mitch Kupchak on his new players: "It's always good to have players that can play that are good in the locker room."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter · 7m7 minutes ago

Kupchak on Russell: “He was in the gym every day (offseason). Now he understands the NBA. I think he’s gonna have a good year, I really do.“

Quote:

Serena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters · 6m6 minutes ago

Kupchak w/ the utmost praise for Luol Deng: “His character is impeccable.” Part of signing him was knowing how great he is in the lockerroom

Quote:
Mitch Kupchak says they worked out Yi Jianlian individually several times over the past couple years.

Quote:
Serena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters · 4m4 minutes ago

Mitch Kupchak on Yi Jianlian: "He’s going to have to earn his way on this team also."

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter · 4m4 minutes ago

Kupchak said Yi has NBA size, athleticism and skill, but has been out of the NBA: “He’s going to have to earn his way onto this team.”

Quote:
Serena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters · 2m2 minutes ago

Mitch Kupchak: “I want our team to be fun to watch. I want them to have fun playing & I want them to get better as the season goes along."

Quote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter · 2m2 minutes ago

Kupchak summary: Lakers have assembled young talent that can grow together and added select veterans around them to encourage growth/wins.

Last edited by 22 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

Waiting for Mitch's annual "my expectation is that this team will compete for a championship..."

So lawyered up Mitch...what a gangsta.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

Come on Mitch, admit it, the reason you picked UCSB was so that you could hang out with your son.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Waiting for Mitch's annual "my expectation is that this team will compete for a championship..."

So lawyered up Mitch...what a gangsta.

Haha. He's chilled a bit this past couple of years with his championships expectations speech.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject:

A slight upgrade over the usual poker-faced responses, but still very poker faced responses. I love that he loves Deng and Russell.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Serena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters · 51m51 minutes ago

Mitch Kupchak doesn’t anticipate Ivica Zubac to get a ton of playing time, but does expect him to work his tail off in practice.

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Quote:

Mitch Kupchak doesn’t anticipate Ivica Zubac to get a ton of playing time, but does expect him to work his tail off in practice.

I don't anticipate what holds true now will necessarily hold true after training camp and preseason -- as almost every player yesterday said there was no indication of what position they would be playing or how much time they would be seeing at a certain position -- Larry said he might see time at the 3,4 or 5. It's one of those things still up in the air. Luke also said yesterday he hasn't ruled out starting Ingram, and his statement about Deng starting was more of a generally speaking thing, though everyone expects Deng to start. Mitch has also said that Yi will have to earn the roster spot, which may or may not have an impact on Zubac's playing time. There are so many what-ifs that have to be sorted out, and even Luke alluded to this yesterday.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
22 wrote:
Quote:

I don't anticipate what holds true now will necessarily hold true after training camp and preseason -- as almost every player yesterday said there was no indication of what position they would be playing or how much time they would be seeing at a certain position -- Larry said he might see time at the 3,4 or 5. It's one of those things still up in the air. Luke also said yesterday he hasn't ruled out starting Ingram, and his statement about Deng starting was more of a generally speaking thing, though everyone expects Deng to start. Mitch has also said that Yi will have to earn the roster spot, which may or may not have an impact on Zubac's playing time. There are so many what-ifs that have to be sorted out, and even Luke alluded to this yesterday.

I think it's pretty clear what Zubac's likely initial role will be. Really like a redshirt year. Patience. He's part of our future core, even if he isn't a rotation player this year.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
22 wrote:
Quote:

I think it's pretty clear what Zubac's likely initial role will be. Really like a redshirt year. Patience. He's part of our future core, even if he isn't a rotation player this year.

That's the best way to bring him along, IMO.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
22 wrote:
Quote:

It's actually not very clear at the moment, and I don't see how anyone can pencil in anything with certainty. I also don't think it's a matter of me being patient, as it's the coaching staff who ultimately determines who plays and who doesn't. I don't have any sentimental stake in who plays and who doesn't.

Here are a few of the things that will be answered after training camp and preseason:

1) Will Yi make the roster? If he does, would he be seeing time at multiple positions?
2) Randle vs Nance will have to battle for the four position, and Larry discussed that he doesn't know if he will see time at the 3/4/5.
3) How well does Zubac hold up against NBA talent in the preseason? We know Luke talked about experimenting with many line-ups.
4) Will Ingram be seeing time at the 2 spot if Deng is starting (if he even does start).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't have any sentimental stake in who plays and who doesn't.

Based on your posts on this topic, I beg to differ. But whatevers...

Moving on.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 50s50 seconds ago

Mitch on the young guys: “We think several of them can be starters & perhaps even leave an imprint on this league.”

Article: http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/160927-training-camp-mitch-kupchak?cid=tw
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

So who's got the goods? Where dem training camp videos at?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

I think we can win it all this year!

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
defense wrote:

I think we can win it all this year!

Man don't show videos with Chic in it them. I miss that guy.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Mitch looks like he's in good spirits. Let's hope the team shows good progress during preseason.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Serena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters · 1m1 minute ago

Lakers Training Camp is officially underway #DayOne

Pic: https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/780870095811641344
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Moving on.

Considering I just made a topic comparing Yi to Kukoc, I don't think that's the case. I've been consistent in my love for all the players, including the training camp invites.

If you want my stance on who will steal the back-up PF/C slots, I think TRob will make a strong case, but I can't say that with certainty because preseason hasn't happened yet. He has the experience and athleticism, but Luke will have to teach him to play a smarter game. If that happens, he could very well steal time from Yi, Zubac, Black, whoever. Right now, it's just a bunch of what ifs. Nothing has really materialized yet.

BTW, here is the actual quote on Zubac, which has a slightly different connotation from what Serena tweeted -

"I think he's [Ingram] going to play a lot. Now for our other rookie [Zubac], I'm not sure that's the case, but he has to work in practice".

It seems like more of a "wait and see how he does in training camp and preseason thing because I don't know yet" answer to me.

But fine. I'm done.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Moving on.

Considering I just made a topic comparing Yi to Kukoc, I don't think that's the case. I've been consistent in my love for all the players, including the training camp invites.

If you want my stance on who will steal the back-up PF/C slots, I think TRob will make a strong case, but I can't say that with certainty because preseason hasn't happened yet. He has the experience and athleticism, but Luke will have to teach him to play a smarter game. If that happens, he could very well steal time from Yi, Zubac, Black, whoever. Right now, it's just a bunch of what ifs. Nothing has really materialized yet.

BTW, here is the actual quote on Zubac, which has a slightly different connotation from what Serena tweeted -

"I think he's [Ingram] going to play a lot. Now for our other rookie [Zubac], I'm not sure that's the case, but he has to work in practice".

It seems like more of a "wait and see how he does in training camp and preseason thing because I don't know yet" answer to me.

But fine. I'm done.

I've noticed that you think highly of all the new shiny acquisitions; I'm just more jaded and cynical. (and that's not a good thing).

I wish I could have your optimism sometimes. But we both love Zubac and here's to the kid crushing it.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Moving on.

But fine. I'm done.

I've noticed that you think highly of all the new shiny acquisitions; I'm just more jaded and cynical. (and that's not a good thing).

I wish I could have your optimism sometimes. But we both love Zubac and here's to the kid crushing it.

Likewise, I could use that cynicism because not all of them are guaranteed to be on the roster.

Not that it will happen but if Yi turns out anything close to Kukoc, we will be looking at a playoff spot.

That comp was like a drug induced reach.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm excited. Preseason can't get here soon enough.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Mitch going soft on us, no playoff guarantees? thats weak

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Moving on.

But fine. I'm done.

This is exactly why I prefer to listen to interviews myself. I'm not sure if that was deliberately misconstrued in order to get attention, or just a mistake by Serena, but she better watch it. I assume she's educated enough to know exactly what she did, but if she does it too many times she's going to lose credibility with me. Luckily she's cute as a button so she gets a pass on this one...and possibly the next one as well, but after that I'm done. I swear.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Probably 🤔
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: