Why do NBA players want championships?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Or, if they really did want championships more than anything else, why not take paycuts in order to build a superteam?

like tim duncan and the spurs
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Or, if they really did want championships more than anything else, why not take paycuts in order to build a superteam?

lol. always the same story with duncan. same with tom brady.

really? did he take a paycut because he's such a nice guy and wanted to make sure the org succeeded? or maybe he's not worth as much as shaq and everything else? lol

i love how kobe was selfish when he took the money. then he explained why it was the right thing to do. then (now) all these players are getting HUGE contracts, but they aren't selfish.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject:

onthemindsofothergirls wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

i love how kobe was selfish when he took the money. then he explained why it was the right thing to do. then (now) all these players are getting HUGE contracts, but they aren't selfish.

I, for one, am completely shocked that you don't have even a basic understanding of how volume and percentages work.
edit: i'm also shocked you didn't take into context that guys getting big contracts aren't just going on a farewell tour while gutting their organizations of huge amounts of their salary cap.

it's okay to defend kobe on this one if you have a decent reason (there are plenty of decent reasons, and even one that just excuses it- how much he makes/how he effects his team off the court has nothing to do with how good he is at b-ball. couldn't you leave it at that, or do you still have to defend him as a person...? where does the obsession end?)... it's hilarious how you essentially just throw (bleep) at a wall and hope it sticks. the salary cap isn't stagnant from year to year, bud.

go found a Kobe forum. you don't belong on this one. it's for Lakers fans.

ok sure...thats a pretty low post count.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

you know what magic did when he lost? he cried. got mad. got better. came back with his own team and won again.

Magic signed a 25-year extension in his second season. It was later renegotiated (you could do that back then - not anymore). So keep in mind free agency rules have vary dramatically over the years. In some years, teams had to compensate the other team for signing their player as a free agent, effectively making it a trade.

Too often, people praise earlier players for not taking advantage of opportunities they didn't have the ability to take advantage of.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Because it gives people an easy metric to make judgments as to who the best players are. The context of seasons and other variables get fuzzy years later and the easiest things to follow about seasons gone by are who won the end of the year awards, and who won the championship.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
999 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

really? did he take a paycut because he's such a nice guy and wanted to make sure the org succeeded? or maybe he's not worth as much as shaq and everything else? lol

Just because a player takes less than his previous contract it doesn't mean he's taking a paycut. His contract ran out, he is making zero, and the new amount may be the maximum amount he can get.

I think it's fair to say that Duncan did sign for less than he could have gotten on the open market so the Spurs could sign Aldridge and retain other players. He signed for $5 million a year after putting up 14-9 and making third-team all-NBA. I think Duncan is one of the very few examples where you could say a player took a pay cut to help his team -- he could have gotten $5 million to $10 million more on the open market.

That said, Duncan had made $234 million in his career and he was helping himself, because he wanted to increase his odds of winning another ring. It doesn't affect my opinion of him or his career, pro or con. I figure people will act in their own self interest and this was his interpretation of what was best for his self interests.

Mike Bibby, Udonis Haslem, Karl Malone, Dwayne Wade, and Dirk Nowitski come to mind as guys who willingly took significant pay cuts for a better chance to win.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
999 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Kobe is the 2nd highest paid player of alltime. No one called him selfish for it until the end when he was getting paid more than he could produce on the court.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject:

that terrible magic team was good enough to beat lebron's team!
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
999 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Kobe is the 2nd highest paid player of alltime. No one called him selfish for it until the end when he was getting paid more than he could produce on the court.

lol at no one called him selfish until the end...
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
999 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

2nd? Who's 1st KG? Shaq?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
999 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

2nd? Who's 1st KG? Shaq?

Garnett.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
999 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

2nd? Who's 1st KG? Shaq?

Garnett.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject:

This is a thread? Why do professional competitors want to compete and win at the highest level of their competition?
thaboii
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
that terrible magic team was good enough to beat lebron's team!

obviously LeBron was stat padding when he put up 38/8/8 in that series, and obviously he was the reason they lost. obviously Mo Williams, Delonte West, and Zydrunas Illgauskas were as good as Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza Ariza. Obviously Mike Brown=Phil Jackson.

I mean it's just common knowledge. it's just so obvious, ya know? I mean obviously LeBron and Kobes teammates were the EXACT. SAME. CALIBER. of players (or Kobe's were worse, by default). It's just so (bleep) obvious. It's just like if you know basketball you know that, ya know?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Some may want it because they are very competitive, but to be honest I feel like most don't really want it. And even if they do want it, their desire pales in comparison to wanting it like Kobe. Obsessed with winning

I don't think anyone ever wanted it like Kobe did
thaboii
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Some may want it because they are very competitive, but to be honest I feel like most don't really want it. And even if they do want it, their desire pales in comparison to wanting it like Kobe. Obsessed with winning

not enough hyperbole c'mon lay it on thick
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
999 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

2nd? Who's 1st KG? Shaq?

Garnett.

btw, we're talking totals here. kobe played a lot longer than most people, so his total salary will be more. if you go per season, i don't think he tops. MJ still tops, and these new contracts are pretty damn big for the status of the stars getting them.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject:

thaboii wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

not enough hyperbole c'mon lay it on thick

if only curry's desire could have been as strong as lebron's, he would have won.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
999 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

2nd? Who's 1st KG? Shaq?

Garnett.

btw, we're talking totals here. kobe played a lot longer than most people, so his total salary will be more. if you go per season, i don't think he tops. MJ still tops, and these new contracts are pretty damn big for the status of the stars getting them.

MJ only had big salaries his last two years on the Bulls, but he still has the highest overall for a single season $33 million. Lebron will pass that next year, but MJ still wins adjusted for inflation. Heck Mike Conley will pass MJ by the end of his contract.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
999 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

lol at no one called him selfish until the end...

He was called selfish for taking lots of shots, not for making a lot of money. Find me a preinjury article where anyone ever complained about the money he was making.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

Believe it or not, not everyone just has a job to pay their bills. Some people love their work and are very passionate about it. They strive towards perfection and want to be considered one of the best at their craft.

And believe it or not, there are people in every business and every walk of life who feel that way about what they are doing and if you don't realize it, they are going to beat you every time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: