Pippen vs Worthy vs Pierce
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Small Forward
Pippen
64%
 64%  [ 29 ]
Worthy
35%
 35%  [ 16 ]
Pierce
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 45

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Pippen vs Worthy vs Pierce

Who's the best?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Pippen.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I'll take Worthy at his peak. Pippen couldn't guard him. Rodman said he was the hardest player to defend. People are too quick to forget that Worthy was leading the NBA in playoff field goal percentage for much of his career. (Graphic)

Pierce doesn't belong in this conversation. He was on Aguirre's level.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Worthy and Pippen are close. James was great in the playoffs, very efficient and ran the floor really well. I go with Pippen for his better overall game. He beats James a defender, passer, rebounder and ball handler.

Generally, in rankings of all-time small forwards, I see Pippen about 5th, James about 8th, and Pierce about 10th.

every so often, I see Pierce ranked above James. I think there is a sizeable group who think James is a little overrated, and he was boosted by playing with Magic and being the third banana on Showtime. He played his entire career in the ideal situation for him, and he never had to be the main guy, so it's a little hard to judge exactly how good he was.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
I'll take Worthy at his peak. Pippen couldn't guard him. Rodman said he was the hardest player to defend. People are too quick to forget that Worthy was leading the NBA in playoff field goal percentage for much of his career. (Graphic)

I feel like Pierce is actually the best overall offensive player though, or at least in terms of creating his own shot.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

Best SF is Lebron. Nice thread, yet again the poll says something different than the thread title. Epic failure by CC once again. To not include Lebron is stupid.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Pierce distant third

Worthy vs Pippen... wow, close.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Best SF is Lebron. Nice thread, yet again the poll says something different than the thread title. Epic failure by CC once again. To not include Lebron is stupid.

The only one being stupid is someone demanding LeBron be included in someone else's thread. It's his thread and he wants to compare these three which is perfectly reasonable seeing as they're all similar. If you want you can make your own thread.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Pippen is the better all around player IMO. Worthy was better offensively but a tad worse defensively. Pierce can chuck and cry.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Pippen is the better all around player IMO. Worthy was better offensively but a tad worse defensively. Pierce can chuck and cry.

yes, but then take this into account. pippen was far weaker mentally. MJ played with both, worthy in college, pippen in pros. in college, worthy was MJ's leader. the only prop player that can say he was the leader on a team with MJ. worthy joined the superteam lakers as a #1, highly unusual. this is not a gimmick like duncan sacrificing for the team, blah blah. real deal. worthy, if treated like a normal top pick would have been a leader on another team.

pippen is more athletic, but worthy wasn't non-athletic, if some people think that.

pierce is nowhere near this conversation. he's better suited for the modern game of hitting threes. but everything else is not comparable.

bird is the goat of forwards. worthy and pippen can be in that discussion. lebron, despite accolades, should also not be in this discussion, but a lot of people will place him on top of these forward lists.

and there are also several basically forgotten names that are not in these discussions, but should be. english, baylor come to mind. lebron was not better than baylor. my point is that the greatest for forwards is a very muddled discussion obscured by modern play and hype.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Pippen hands down. Two-way player. Worthy was something to watch in 88. But Pippen will hound you and guard four positions the full length of court if he needed to. Offensively, he wasn't chop liver. There was a game where I think Pippen and MJ combined for over 90 or something? I remember it was like watching two Jordans. Pippen also has longevity, whereas Worthy broke down pretty early and retired at 33, and even then was already several years removed from his prime. Worthy's high FG% was also a sign of the times, most super stars, especially front court players, in the 80's through mid-90's shot over 50%. But what made Worthy especially efficient was being surrounded by Kareem and Magic who set him up. How would Worthy do with more volume, and without Magic making his life easier? When he got his own team in 92, his FG% dropped big time. But that's probably a combination of life without Magic and nagging injuries. Then he pretty much fell off the map the next two years then retired.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Are you actually just mentally challenged or something?

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

lol cc.
i respect that lebron waasn't included, because he shouldn't be. good call.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

https://i.imgflip.com/qrcox.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Pippen hands down. Two-way player. Worthy was something to watch in 88. But Pippen will hound you and guard four positions the full length of court if he needed to. Offensively, he wasn't chop liver. There was a game where I think Pippen and MJ combined for over 90 or something? I remember it was like watching two Jordans. Pippen also has longevity, whereas Worthy broke down pretty early and retired at 33, and even then was already several years removed from his prime. Worthy's high FG% was also a sign of the times, most super stars, especially front court players, in the 80's through mid-90's shot over 50%. But what made Worthy especially efficient was being surrounded by Kareem and Magic who set him up. How would Worthy do with more volume, and without Magic making his life easier? When he got his own team in 92, his FG% dropped big time. But that's probably a combination of life without Magic and nagging injuries. Then he pretty much fell off the map the next two years then retired.

worthy would be fine without kareem and magic. you can paint that picture both ways with worthy. yes, worthy joined a superteam. but worthy, individually, was also a #1 pick, a college champion, and the only guy that was the leader of a team with MJ. So, that's a lot. pippen is not necessarily better than worthy. pippen is better than lebron, though.

sidenote...if lebron and worthy played 1on1, i think lebron would lose by a lot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

worthy would be fine without kareem and magic. you can paint that picture both ways with worthy. yes, worthy joined a superteam. but worthy, individually, was also a #1 pick, a college champion, and the only guy that was the leader of a team with MJ. So, that's a lot. pippen is not necessarily better than worthy. pippen is better than lebron, though.

sidenote...if lebron and worthy played 1on1, i think lebron would lose by a lot.

Damn. Did Lebron date your mother or something? The hate is real.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

it's a laker fan basketball forum, yinoma. not sure if you think this is unusual.

again..."I don't understand why laker fans are so mean to lebron?!"

i imagine 80s laker/celtic games. at the forum. one sensitive fan in the corner there all "Why are you guys cussing out Larry Bird?! he's a great player! deserves our respect. Cmon guys, this is not right." lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
it's a laker fan basketball forum, yinoma. not sure if you think this is unusual.

again..."I don't understand why laker fans are so mean to lebron?!"

i imagine 80s laker/celtic games. at the forum. one sensitive fan in the corner there all "Why are you guys cussing out Larry Bird?! he's a great player! deserves our respect. Cmon guys, this is not right." lol

And when was lebron a rival to Kobe or the lakers like bird was to magic? Lol. It's comical how much you hate this guy and any one who is mentioned in the same sentence as Kobe.

And this is why we have a "general discussion" forum to talk non Lakers. So much lol.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm not the one asking two different things
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Pippen.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No one else seems to be having this issue. CC never said Best SF of all time. Just here are 3 options, which is the best SF out of the 3.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject:

If we're talking best sf of all, probably goes LeBron, Bird, Dr. J, Baylor and Durant.

But that's not what this poll was asking.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject:

Pippen's defense and all around game trumps the other two.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject:

If I need a bucket, I throw it to Worthy. If I need a stop I call on Pip. No wrong choice between those two.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: