Pippen vs Worthy vs Pierce
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Small Forward
Pippen
64%
 64%  [ 29 ]
Worthy
35%
 35%  [ 16 ]
Pierce
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 45

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Pippen's defense and all around game trumps the other two.

Agreed.

He's the best of all the 3 candidates, though he may not necessarily be the best in all categories.

Athleticism: Worthy, Pippen, Pierce
Shooting: Pierce, Pippen, Worthy
Defense: Pippen, Worthy, Pierce
Playmaking: Pippen, Pierce, Worthy
Finishing: Worthy, Pippen, Pierce
Post play: Worthy, Pierce, Pippen

To name a few. All good candidates but Pippen really didn't have much of a weakness in his game.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Best SF is Lebron. Nice thread, yet again the poll says something different than the thread title. Epic failure by CC once again. To not include Lebron is stupid.

I never interpreted his poll as asking who the best SF of all time was. He was simply asking who was better among the three guys. He does this type of thing all the time, and I think he does a good job of picking guys who are close enough that you really have to think about the answer.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Pippen is the better all around player IMO. Worthy was better offensively but a tad worse defensively. Pierce can chuck and cry.

yes, but then take this into account. pippen was far weaker mentally. MJ played with both, worthy in college, pippen in pros. in college, worthy was MJ's leader. the only prop player that can say he was the leader on a team with MJ. worthy joined the superteam lakers as a #1, highly unusual. this is not a gimmick like duncan sacrificing for the team, blah blah. real deal. worthy, if treated like a normal top pick would have been a leader on another team.

pippen is more athletic, but worthy wasn't non-athletic, if some people think that.

pierce is nowhere near this conversation. he's better suited for the modern game of hitting threes. but everything else is not comparable.

bird is the goat of forwards. worthy and pippen can be in that discussion. lebron, despite accolades, should also not be in this discussion, but a lot of people will place him on top of these forward lists.

and there are also several basically forgotten names that are not in these discussions, but should be. english, baylor come to mind. lebron was not better than baylor. my point is that the greatest for forwards is a very muddled discussion obscured by modern play and hype.

completely agreed on all accounts
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Best SF is Lebron. Nice thread, yet again the poll says something different than the thread title. Epic failure by CC once again. To not include Lebron is stupid.

I never interpreted his poll as asking who the best SF of all time was. He was simply asking who was better among the three guys. He does this type of thing all the time, and I think he does a good job of picking guys who are close enough that you really have to think about the answer.

So the poll labeled "Best SF" shouldn't be considered as asking who is the best SF? And that would be Lebron. Of the limited choices offered, I would go with Worthy. Pippen seemed to lack that mental quality that the others had.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject:

Pippen was better. Pierce was worst.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

It's pretty clear he meant who is the best SF among those mentioned.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

So the poll labeled "Best SF" shouldn't be considered as asking who is the best SF? And that would be Lebron. Of the limited choices offered, I would go with Worthy. Pippen seemed to lack that mental quality that the others had.

You're clearly the only one who seems unable to grasp the thread. Which is somewhat understandable. Being a jerk about it isn't, though.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

That would make sense if it said better SF.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
So the poll labeled "Best SF" shouldn't be considered as asking who is the best SF?

When I saw a thread titled "Pippen vs Worthy vs Pierce" followed by poll labeled "Best Small Forward," I assumed he meant best small forward of the three of them. Looks like everyone else in this thread read it the same way,.

Seems like you're the only one who assumed this meant the best small forward of all time. And once the OP confirmed your interpretation was not his intention, I didn't understand why you continued to shadow box with yourself.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
So the poll labeled "Best SF" shouldn't be considered as asking who is the best SF?

When I saw a thread titled "Pippen vs Worthy vs Pierce" followed by poll labeled "Best Small Forward," I assumed he meant best small forward of the three of them. Looks like everyone else in this thread read it the same way,.

Seems like you're the only one who assumed this meant the best small forward of all time. And once the OP confirmed your interpretation was not his intention, I didn't understand why you continued to shadow box with yourself.

More like subconscious effort to try to insert LeBron after knee-jerk mindless perception of a slight towards Queen James that triggers (and on a hair trigger no less) an instinctive need to lash out at others who sully The Overly-Promoted One. It's like Superboy's but in the extreme opposite direction.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

So you want me to create a poll with three options asking who's "better?"

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

yes, but then take this into account. pippen was far weaker mentally. MJ played with both, worthy in college, pippen in pros. in college, worthy was MJ's leader. the only prop player that can say he was the leader on a team with MJ. worthy joined the superteam lakers as a #1, highly unusual. this is not a gimmick like duncan sacrificing for the team, blah blah. real deal. worthy, if treated like a normal top pick would have been a leader on another team.

pippen is more athletic, but worthy wasn't non-athletic, if some people think that.

I agree with a lot of this and also on the point about Pierce not even coming to my mind. Not cus he's a Celtic or an LA kid who went to Kansas, to boot, but I think the other two are far superior.

Worthy's nick "Big Game" is apt and needs to be used as a weapon in this comparison like Scott's 2-way play. I think that evens them out a lot more than those clearly on Pip's side may think. End of the day, I might even go with Pippen, but I'd probably still take James. It's close. There are things that both players did at SUPERSTAR level with neither being true superstars. It just depends on what you prefer, but I think either will take you far as long as you have a 1A all-time great superstar as your main guy. Both were superb in a support guy role. Absent of that? I'll take James for sure. Why? He's a man in all situations. Scottie? Hey... He was a little bit of a B sometimes without Mike taking most of the spotlight's heat.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

I agree with a lot of this and also on the point about Pierce not even coming to my mind. Not cus he's a Celtic or an LA kid who went to Kansas, to boot, but I think the other two are far superior.

Worthy's nick "Big Game" is apt and needs to be used as a weapon in this comparison like Scott's 2-way play. I think that evens them out a lot more than those clearly on Pip's side may think. End of the day, I might even go with Pippen, but I'd probably still take James. It's close. There are things that both players did at SUPERSTAR level with neither being true superstars. It just depends on what you prefer, but I think either will take you far as long as you have a 1A all-time great superstar as your main guy. Both were superb in a support guy role. Absent of that? I'll take James for sure. Why? He's a man in all situations. Scottie? Hey... He was a little bit of a B sometimes without Mike taking most of the spotlight's heat.

Pippen and Worthy are easier to compare. They were both supporting bananas on dynasties and they spent their entire careers on strong teams.

Pierce spent most of his career on the top dog of bad and mediocre teams, and he didn't get strong teammates until late in his career.

I tend to put Pierce third, but I can see the case for putting him higher. I do believe he is in a tier with James and Scottie.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I would suggest proper use of the English language.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

I would be be pretty happy to have any of the three guys on my team, nearly without preference. Pierce is an LA area guy so there's that. Never liked Pippen's character at big moments, so it's close for me between PP and James. Being a Laker fan and not a Celtic fan at all, gimme Worthy on that basis alone.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I would suggest you go back in time and don't flunk second grade English.

Quote:
When you’re comparing items, you need to notice if you’re comparing two things or more than two things.

When you compare two items, you’re using what’s called a comparative, so you use “more” before the adjective or the suffix “-er” on the end of it. You can remember that comparatives are for two things because “comparative” has the sound “pair” in it and a pair is always two things. It's not spelled like “pair” but it sounds like pair.

When you compare three or more items, you’re using a superlative, so you use “most” or the suffix “-est.” You can remember that superlatives are for more than two things because “superlative” has the word “super” in it and when you want a whole bunch of something, you supersize it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Quote:
When you’re comparing items, you need to notice if you’re comparing two things or more than two things.

When you compare two items, you’re using what’s called a comparative, so you use “more” before the adjective or the suffix “-er” on the end of it. You can remember that comparatives are for two things because “comparative” has the sound “pair” in it and a pair is always two things. It's not spelled like “pair” but it sounds like pair.

When you compare three or more items, you’re using a superlative, so you use “most” or the suffix “-est.” You can remember that superlatives are for more than two things because “superlative” has the word “super” in it and when you want a whole bunch of something, you supersize it.

I was going to let this go because grammar policing is a bore. However it is amusing Ventura criticized the correct use of best while substituting the incorrect better.

Potato/potatoe moment
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Quote:

I was going to let this go because grammar policing is a bore. However it is amusing Ventura criticized the correct use of best while substituting the incorrect better.

Potato/potatoe moment

Grasping at straws to try and defend his untenable position.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Pippen for me, because his D ability in all ways was impressive. He could be dominant on D. Worthy's big (huge really) game ness and mental advantage over Pippen don't overcome the gap on D there. Pierce was a very good player and fine and clever in the clutch. Great at getting to the FT, like James. I don't recall Pippen being that savvy like the other two in crunch time. I do recall him on his own in Houston and Portland not being able to come through in certain key situations, heh heh. But brilliant player once MJ was able to get through to him. Sometimes he had plays which made me think he was even more athletic than MJ. A burst of power and speed on the move.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Worthy often doesn't get credit for busting down his knees for ten years while guarding guards that the smaller man Magic Johnson should have handled but couldn't (and didn't) handle nearly as well.

I think Worthy was the smartest player of the three and the best offensive player. Overall, his defensive game was close enough to that of Pippen to tilt my preference easily to seeing Big Game James as the best of this trio.

Pierce was a remarkable scorer from more areas of the court than the other two, a better rebounder than the other two, but not much of a passer or on-ball defender. Helluva clutch Deep Three Man too, but I think I'd put him third best here.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

Just for the record . . . a performance for the ages by James Worthy.

This past season, LeBron James became just the second player in NBA history to record a triple-double in Game 7 of the NBA Finals. Twenty-five years ago, James Worthy became the first when he put up 36 points, 16 rebounds, and 10 assists in the Lakers 108-105 victory over the Detroit Pistons. Worthy would be named NBA Finals MVP because of the performance.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

Love me some big game James but I'll have to go with Pippen.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

lakerlynx wrote:
Just for the record . . . a performance for the ages by James Worthy.

This past season, LeBron James became just the second player in NBA history to record a triple-double in Game 7 of the NBA Finals. Twenty-five years ago, James Worthy became the first when he put up 36 points, 16 rebounds, and 10 assists in the Lakers 108-105 victory over the Detroit Pistons. Worthy would be named NBA Finals MVP because of the performance.

James is one of the few guys in NBA history who performed better in the playoffs than the regular season. That may be his biggest diferentiator.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Quote:

Potato/potatoe moment

Grasping at straws to try and defend his untenable position.

Shocking I know! Back on topic, I'm giving the nod to Pipp but I ain't mad at anyone going with Big Game.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

Worthy was better than Pippen. You could run an offense through Worthy in big playoff games and he was solid defensively.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: