OFFICIAL THOMAS ROBINSON THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
He can't defend or pass. Now I see why he's been on so many teams. Black is much better.

Black is much better, but having Robinson off the bench instead of Sacre or Kelly is a plus.

Definitely an improvement, plus he has performed fairly well overall while filling in for injured players. He's a good end-of-the-bench guy.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject:

It's hard for me to gripe about a guy making the minimum but playing hard every night. He makes mistakes, and he has a lot of room for improvement, but his effort is fantastic.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

Hard to complain about a guy putting up 7/9 on 70% shooting on 19 MPG across the last 5 games.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Thomas Robinson filling in nicely for Larry Nance Jr.

Quote:
“I’m not a scorer. It’s like when you lose one sense, the other becomes stronger,” Thomas said, laughing. “That’s how it is for me with basketball. I have a sense of when guys get ready to shoot for my team. I pretty much know what move they’re going to do before they shoot.”

As a result, the Lakers (12-23) entered Thursday’s game against the Dallas Mavericks (9-23) at Staples Center with Robinson becoming an effective backup as Larry Nance Jr. has missed the previous four games with a bone bruise in his left knee.
During that stretch, Robinson has averaged 7.3 points and 8.8 rebounds while shooting 72 percent from the field.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/robinson-739808-lakers-nance.html
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Hard to complain about a guy putting up 7/9 on 70% shooting on 19 MPG across the last 5 games.

We all knew he could play. Why I was shocked he couldnt find a guaranteed contract from some where.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Robinson gives great effort but man he seems like he has no idea what to do on defense. His rebounding numbers come at a price at times and that is all he is really good at. I never liked the idea of having unintelligent players playing significant minutes. I don't mind him playing 5 minutes here and there.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Robinson gives great effort but man he seems like he has no idea what to do on defense. His rebounding numbers come at a price at times and that is all he is really good at. I never liked the idea of having unintelligent players playing significant minutes. I don't mind him playing 5 minutes here and there.

you just described 60% of our team
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
defense wrote:

you just described 60% of our team

the sad part is you may be right
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject:

Thomas Robinson says the Lakers can't use youth as an excuse for losing

T-Rob didn't hold back after Los Angeles' latest loss.

Quote:
"We can't use the excuse of being a young team and be like 'okay, cool, we're [12-24] because we're young," Robinson told Tania Ganguli of the L.A. Times following the Lakers' latest defeat. "Forget that. We're getting leads on teams. 20-point leads. 10-point leads. That don't mean nothing. We gotta mature earlier. We gotta take over these games and finish them."

Robinson's strong words come on the heels of him surpassing fellow reserve forward/center Tarik Black in the rotation, and it's a positive for the team that he's not satisfied and wants to see more from the Lakers. The team needs voices like that in the locker room so they can continue to believe despite their struggles.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/12/30/14126306/la-lakers-thomas-robinson-tanking-draft-pick-dallas-mavericks-recap-quotes-rebuilding
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

Thomas Robinson likely to stick around
Quote:
The latest Lakers rumors have to do with whether or not Thomas Robinson will get past the guaranteed salary deadline in early January.

Thus far, the Lakers have shown that they do well when they have a spark. In contrast, due to injuries among other things, they don’t do well without their bigger stars.

Given the news about Larry Nance Jr., they might want to give Robinson his money.

http://lasportshub.com/2016/12/30/lakers-rumors-thomas-robinson-likely-stick-around/
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
The latest Lakers rumors have to do with whether or not Thomas Robinson will get past the guaranteed salary deadline in early January.

Thus far, the Lakers have shown that they do well when they have a spark. In contrast, due to injuries among other things, they don’t do well without their bigger stars.

Given the news about Larry Nance Jr., they might want to give Robinson his money.

http://lasportshub.com/2016/12/30/lakers-rumors-thomas-robinson-likely-stick-around/

it would be insane to not pay him.....there is almost no chance the Lakers could find comparable value for his cost. His game has weaknesses, but his stengths are more valuable than the cost of a minimum contract..
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

it would be insane to not pay him....
.there is almost no chance the Lakers could find comparable value for his cost. His game has weaknesses, but his stengths are more valuable than the cost of a minimum contract..

Not really, when Tarik Black does the same thing, only stronger and better rim protection.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

12 points & 9 rebounds!
T-Rob gives you all that he has. Great effort and energy.

The combo of Black and T-Rob was effective and fun as they hustled and muscled their way to points and rebounds.
However they both need to improve defensively and communicate better while on the floor.

This lineup can be beneficial in certain situations on a limited basis (neither has a jumper). I hope we get to see more of it at times.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Thomas Robinson and Tarik Black brought the boom for the Lakers

Two Kansas Jayhawks sitting at the rim, R-E-B-O-U-N-DING.
Quote:
The lone five minute stretch serves as the tiniest of sample sizes; a crumb of a crumb of a crumb. The eye test screamed yes, this. More of this. The math checks out, too. The Lakers outscored Toronto by 99.2 points per 100 possessions (160.7 offensive rating, 61.5 defensive rating) during the assault the former Kansas Jayhawks launched, according to NBA.com. They were fairly successful together, to say the least.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/1/2/14147794/la-lakers-thomas-robinson-tarik-black-lineup
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

.there is almost no chance the Lakers could find comparable value for his cost. His game has weaknesses, but his stengths are more valuable than the cost of a minimum contract..

Not really, when Tarik Black does the same thing, only stronger and better rim protection.

maybe insane is too strong...but the guy is worth the remainder of his minimum contract. You agree with that, right?
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Here's the biggest why TRob and Tarik should be on the court together much more often - they are the bigs that seem to want to win the most. This team needs their fire. This is a team that needs possessions and has periods of crappy shooting so it NEEDS rebounds, especially offensive rebounds. These two are better at that than the other bigs.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

You're nuts. Not keeping Trob should be grounds for immediate dismissal of the front office staff. First, he has value to the team. Then, with his improvement he has trade value or opens up the ability to trade another big.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

I would offer maybe around the room exception. 4M. TRob is good depth.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

It looks like two different conversations here. As for this season, you guarantee him for the remainder. As for next season, bring him back on a similar contract.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It looks like two different conversations here. As for this season, you guarantee him for the remainder. As for next season, bring him back on a similar contract.

The article referenced implied there was a decision to be made about guaranteeing the remainder of his contract this year....which becomes fully guaranteed in early January.....I feel like that is one of the easiest decisions the FO will have to make all year.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

It definitely wouldn't make sense to not pay him the rest of a minimum deal for this season. But it's doubtful they'd be able to get him for a similar contract next season. Which makes me think if they can find a taker for him they will move him at the deadline. A capable big who is making the minimum would be a nice sweetener to a deal if they don't plan on paying him $5M+ this summer with a chance he bolts anyway.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
It definitely wouldn't make sense to not pay him the rest of a minimum deal for this season. But it's doubtful they'd be able to get him for a similar contract next season. Which makes me think if they can find a taker for him they will move him at the deadline. A capable big who is making the minimum would be a nice sweetener to a deal if they don't plan on paying him $5M+ this summer with a chance he bolts anyway.
Honestly I don't think he's worth more than the min but maybe I'm just crazy. Way too many holes in his game no matter how much I like his energy.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

I think he's worth a little more than the minimum (maybe $3-4M a year), but definitely he's not as good as his stats per minute would show. He reminds me a lot of Jordan Hill. Seems lost at times, but works hard and has value due to his combination of effort and athleticism. I do think in this market though and with his upside potential that someone will overpay him.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

I like TRob as our 11th man.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

You're nuts. Not keeping Trob should be grounds for immediate dismissal of the front office staff. First, he has value to the team. Then, with his improvement he has trade value or opens up the ability to trade another big.

No front office is getting dismissed over Thomas Robinson
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 19 of 26
Jump to: