KINGS -vs- LAKERS – 10-4-16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

Dancing Barry, you're a treasure! Thank you so much for the detailed analysis you provide. Looking forward to another season with you.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

A very preseason game, very sloppy, but thats kind of expected. I really hope Russell and Randle (and Ingram) can get into a much better rhythm next game, they were all rather off last night.

Still, great to see Lakers basketball back
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

Thought Russell did a nice job of surveying the floor and walling off the penetration of Collison/Lawson.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

Great writeup. One thing I think the analysts may be missing about this squad is the depth....that depth could steal some games that we are outmatched 1 through 5.

Consider that 5...we dont have a 5 on the roster that is All-Star quality (as of now), but do many teams have the quality of depth at the 5 that we have? Same for the 4, and our PG depth is looking really solid. If AB can perform as he did in this game, that really provides solid depth at that 2/3 wing slot. Once Ingram gets going, that will just be bonus talent on the wing.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Thanks DB!! Great to start a new era with a win! Great to see some solid defense out there. That D also helped the offense start humming. I don't care if it's Sacramento's third unit or Golden State's first unit, understanding team defense and maintaining solid rotations really does matter. Several Lakers looked pretty promising for a first preseason game.

Really encouraged about Mosgov, Nance, Black and Ingram on defense, and for that matter DLO is getting better as well. I didn't note it watching the game but good to read that Clarkson is improving on a couple fundamentals as well. Add Deng to the list of players who understand how to defend.

I was not impressed with Randle though. If he can't make a defensive read or rotate properly when everyone else around him is starting to figure this out... I gotta remember it's only a first preseason game, but it's clear this team is getting some real coaching on defense and I hope it filters in for Randle soon.

Williams - still looks like a one-trick pony. Very good at that one trick, but Afflallo just abused him out there, and I question whether standing at the free throw line a lot is beneficial to his teammates getting into an offensive flow, even if he is scoring a lot of points per possession.

I concur with your assessments. It was exciting to finally see some Lakers basketball, after a long wait. Good to see the young guns getting some run! The offense was about what I expected. Rough, and sloppy. As chemistry improves, and lineups/rotations get finalized, things will slowly improve over time. I was greatly impressed with how our defense improved over the course of the game. While the offense works itself out, the Lakers defense will have to pick up the slack.

Some things that stood out to me were....

Ingram shot poorly, but I'm not worried about his shooting ability. He really impressed on D with his length, and being a willing defender. Needs to work on his positional defense, and proper stance, though.

Randle looked lost out on the floor. Other than that one jump shot, not much impressed me, honestly. I believe he's capable of more, but he does seem to let mistakes/bad calls/etc. bother him, and take him out of his game. Needs to improve his mental fortitude, and everything else will follow.

Russell seemed to be thinking the game too much, and not just playing. As he and the coaches become more familiar with what they want from each other, and where their strengths lay, it'll be a feeling out process.

Not impressed with Lou, honestly. Other than his ability to draw fouls, and get to the free throw line, he did nothing, imo. He was a liability defensively, at the 2. During the regular season, teams will exploit that more. If they're that intent on playing Lou, than move him to the 1, imo. Have Ingram, AB, and Nick split time at the 2 and 3 positions, behind Clarkson, and Deng. See how that works.

First preseason game, so just a first look evaluation. Happy for the win, but more impressed with the effort. Looking forward to the next game!

Lakers!

ZOOM!!!!!

Great Assessments.

DLO always starts slow (Summer League last year, Preseason last year, regular season last year, Start of game 1 in SL this year, Preseason this year, and probably regular season this year); but he always finds his way and improves. You could also tell he was really concentrating to run the offense properly and didnt look for his shot then forced it a bit to get himself involved.

The challenge for him will be to find the balance of running the offense and getting his own. This will take time.

He also needs to find a way to pull himself out of slumps when he goes cold without affecting the team too much.

Finally, he looked improved defensively and his length is very effective.

Randle:

Everyone talks about his jumpshot, but he also has to improve on his:

- Defense
- Playing within the offense
- Passing
- Offhand
- Finishing in traffic

He is very strong and athletic. Amazing rebounder; but he has a lot to improve on.

Lou Williams has the type of game where if he plays it means that the rest of the team struggles. While he played within the offense more, his style of play just seems to suck the oxygen from others.

Marcelo did a nice job of running the offense initially, but was clearly outclassed by Caulderon.

Black/Brown/Nance -> Wow

Mosgov/Deng -> Did what they're supposed to. Mosgov was especially solid.

JC seemed improved especially on defense. Very impressive Defensively.

Brandon Ingram: Looked to be what we saw in SL. Slow starter as hes obviously not comfortable, but you can tell his shot will be fine. He can also do so many other things (dribble the ball up the court, pass, rebound, drive).

Our D and Length with guys like Deng/Mosgov/Nance/AB/BI should become Really special. If DLO and JC continue to improve then we should really be a great defensive team in a couple of years.

For the rest of the roster: TROB did some things. Nothing of note really from the others.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Besides the great breakdown DB.

I'm hoping we see a lot of smileys in your thread creations and of course positives in the player breakdown as much as you can during the season.

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

I need to actually read it but YAY T & R!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

I bet it felt good not having to type B Scott in the coach's slot. I know it felt good not having to see it there.

Thanks, DB!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:

^Well, when I was redoing my template for the season, it started with erasing Kobe's name...so that kind of sucked. But it ended with deleting Scott and replacing him with Luke. Yes, that was a weight that felt good to remove.

That was a tough last two seasons...I'm not sure I'm fully recovered to be honest.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Programming note, I'm probably going to be delayed Friday night. Got some other commitments first. We'll see.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Missed the game but it's always enjoyable to catch up thru T&R!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: