Nick Young is finally...catch and shooting!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Afrosho wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Typical LG overreacting. Judging Young on 3 preseason games when he has 576 regular season games over 9 seasons to look back at.

I don't see any overreaction. Nobody is really emerging in the roster as our undisputed starting SG, so the conversation is open.
You talk about Young's career, but the Nick we had under MDA for example can definitely start in this team.
Our starting unit hasn't been very convincing so far, and part of it, I think, is its lack of perimeter defense and athleticism. Young does bring those two things.

Someone just said Nick Young makes Anthony Brown "pointless".

NY is 31 years old and a chucker/scorer. AB is 24 years old and in his 2nd season. Yes. Overreaction sounds about right.

If AB can't produce (and he's an old 2nd year player, and the expectation was that he'd produce right away), and Young is playing well, why should the coaching staff eschew Young for the less productive AB?

So then you agree it makes AB redundant...?

At some point, actual production trumps 'potential.' AB has shown very little production, a reason why Swaggy P, he of DLO-beef fame, is getting playing time.

If anything, Luke has been true to his word that he will give everyone a clean slate and fair chance. AB hasn't produced, end of story.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Afrosho wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Typical LG overreacting. Judging Young on 3 preseason games when he has 576 regular season games over 9 seasons to look back at.

I don't see any overreaction. Nobody is really emerging in the roster as our undisputed starting SG, so the conversation is open.
You talk about Young's career, but the Nick we had under MDA for example can definitely start in this team.
Our starting unit hasn't been very convincing so far, and part of it, I think, is its lack of perimeter defense and athleticism. Young does bring those two things.

NY is 31 years old and a chucker/scorer. AB is 24 years old and in his 2nd season. Yes. Overreaction sounds about right.

If AB can't produce (and he's an old 2nd year player, and the expectation was that he'd produce right away), and Young is playing well, why should the coaching staff eschew Young for the less productive AB?

Maybe I'm missing the point, but why would AB be "pointless" or "redundant"?

IMO it makes him a promising third string end of the bench player until injury or improvement moves him into a bigger role. Or perhaps off the team if he can not earn mpg this season.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject:

Also worth noting, Nick looked more like a vet after each of his 3's dropped and I think the coaching staff has a lot to do with that side of his behavior. It's just so hard to root for someone who is constantly lauding themselves.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject:

Man I used to get attacked for defending Young around here , so I'm really happy to see him turn it around. It was inexplicable how he could drop so far from his last year under MDA. I knew he was capable of playing like this. He did it for an entire season, people just forgot. He has a real coach now.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Man I used to get attacked for defending Young around here , so I'm really happy to see him turn it around. It was inexplicable how he could drop so far from his last year under MDA. I knew he was capable of playing like this. He did it for an entire season, people just forgot. He has a real coach now.

I hear you but Nick is no innocent bystander here. The questions surrounding Nick were never in regards to his talent or basketball abilities, IMO. But you are correct that a "real coach" is currently making all the difference in terms of bringing out the better part of Nick.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject:

I may be turning the corner on Nick. Mainly, he and DLO seemed to have buried the hatchet. There appears to be no tension whatsoever between those two.

Plus, his complaining to the ref about Mozgov pushing him in the back on his shot attempt only to realize it seconds later that it was in fact Mozgov and not a defender, was hilarious.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

I hear you but Nick is no innocent bystander here. The questions surrounding Nick were never in regards to his talent or basketball abilities, IMO. But you are correct that a "real coach" is currently making all the difference in terms of bringing out the better part of Nick.

Nick did great MDA and is doing great with Luke. What was different the last 2 years?

Maybe he tried to take over games too much? Didn't have Clarkson there to
remind him to kiss the coaches ass while commenting? Didn't contribute to the garbage cans enough during camp?
We'll never know.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Afrosho wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

At some point, actual production trumps 'potential.' AB has shown very little production, a reason why Swaggy P, he of DLO-beef fame, is getting playing time.

If anything, Luke has been true to his word that he will give everyone a clean slate and fair chance. AB hasn't produced, end of story.

Basing anything on 3 preseason games (especially when it comes to a 2nd year player) is an overreaction. Plane and simple. No one is arguing he should play over Young. It's this stunted attitude LG takes whenever one player has a decent game it automatically makes another player on the team "redundant" or trade fodder for "precious 2nd round picks".
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

Nick did great MDA and is doing great with Luke. What was different the last 2 years?

He did have a nice run when he first got here but when have you ever seen him rebound like he has been the last 2 games? Certainly not under the MDA regime.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

He did have a nice run when he first got here but when have you ever seen him rebound like he has been the last 2 games? Certainly not under the MDA regime.

His responsibilities were different. As a SG, he had to get back on D and stay further out on the perimeter.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Afrosho wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

Basing anything on 3 preseason games (especially when it comes to a 2nd year player) is an overreaction. Plane and simple. No one is arguing he should play over Young. It's this stunted attitude LG takes whenever one player has a decent game it automatically makes another player on the team "redundant" or trade fodder for "precious 2nd round picks".

No, it's called, "Luke needs NBA players to compete." AB has been a no show last year, and was lackluster in SPL.

Young is showing he's productive in Luke's system so far while AB has been AB.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject:

I'm glad to see Young having a turnaround, if he ends up valuable in a stretch offense trading Lou will be much more tolerable.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

His responsibilities were different. As a SG, he had to get back on D and stay further out on the perimeter.

Good point. But I'm seeing a far greater focus and effort on the defensive end, granted for only two games now but add in the fact that he's not celebrating everything he does like a child on Jolt cola also speaks to the coaching staff's influence.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

remind him to kiss the coaches ass while commenting? Didn't contribute to the garbage cans enough during camp?
We'll never know.

I've always said what he lacked was discipline, and the previous coaching regime wasn't giving it to him. Byron was a hands-off "leader". He'd say things like "Do better or you can sit on the bench". What is a player learning from that?

Young is like a kid with ADD. You have to be very clear and specific what you expect from him, or he'll quickly get out of control. He needs to be managed on a regular basis. It may sound exhausting but that's partly what a coaching staff's job is. (something MDA didn't get enough credit for)

The Nick Young we're seeing now is the one that earned his current contract. This is how he played. Scrappy defense, limited ball handling, timely shooting, even setting the occasional screen here and there. I hope he can keep this up.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject:

Again, he's played well enough on both ends of the floor to warrant a spot on this team. Team chemistry early on does not seem to be an issue at all which is great to see. I not only give credit to the players, but also to the coaching staff for handling their business quick.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

I hope Nick continues to play this way. It's nice seeing him making plays on defense for a change.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

We'll never know.

I've always said what he lacked was discipline, and the previous coaching regime wasn't giving it to him. Byron was a hands-off "leader". He'd say things like "Do better or you can sit on the bench". What is a player learning from that?

Young is like a kid with ADD. You have to be very clear and specific what you expect from him, or he'll quickly get out of control. He needs to be managed on a regular basis. It may sound exhausting but that's partly what a coaching staff's job is. (something MDA didn't get enough credit for)

The Nick Young we're seeing now is the one that earned his current contract. This is how he played. Scrappy defense, limited ball handling, timely shooting, even setting the occasional screen here and there. I hope he can keep this up.

If he can keep Swaggy P locked up and far from the team I agree with you. If he maintains his focus he can be a solid player for the Lakers this season.

My concern with Young is when training camp ends and the focus slips a bit. When more free time is available and the opportunities to be a TMZ sensation become more likely.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but Young has earned his knucklehead reputation for a reason. Relying on him for the next 7 months to avoid those moments is a big risk IMO.

I can try to be cautiously optimistic. Just do not share the sentiment some of you have adopted that Young has suddenly become the mature professional we wish he could be.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Afrosho wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

Umm, AB has no point being on this team. Did you see him in the game last night? Air ball, lost defensively. I will take Nick over him any day
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

start young and put lou on bench
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

Just to personally address some of the points made by others in this thread...

1. Nick Young's "resurrection" is indeed that. Instead of harping on old issues and perceived flaws, it's important to focus on what's happening now. Nick is playing extremely well, on both ends of the floor, and the teams chemistry seems to be at an all time high. Can't fade that.

2. I don't believe Anthony Brown is irrelevant, in regards to Nick. Granted, his role on the team will most likely diminish, but that's just an opportunity for him to improve on his offensive consistency. AB has the potential, but time is running out. If improve isn't shown by next years time, he may not be long for the Lakers, imo.

Since Nick has been pretty consistent in the games he's played in, I would personally like to see AB play more, and Nick/Deng less. This would give AB more meaningful minutes, to get into a rhythm and possibly gain some confidence going forward. The best time to do this would be in preseason, as opposed to the regular season, when wins/losses actually count.

ZOOM!!!!!!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
My question is, if he keeps up the solid play on both ends, who place does he take in the rotation?

? His own.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I have to give Swaggy credit, but he's stepping it up.

I also agree, why not try Swaggy at starting SG or bring him off the bench as the first SG over Lou, start JC?

Ok Byron, we have something that is working, we have to tinker with it so that it breaks.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:

And all 576 played in the offensive system we are playing now, right?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I definitely prefer Young over Lou, but neither will be here long term. We need a younger defensive guard coming off the bench.

With is obvious improvement in the offseason I think that JC fits that perfectly. He has really looked great defensively.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
I definitely prefer Young over Lou, but neither will be here long term. We need a younger defensive guard coming off the bench.

With is obvious improvement in the offseason I think that JC fits that perfectly. He has really looked great defensively.

Or Young

If it were up to me Lou would get 0 minutes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: