Nick Young is finally...catch and shooting!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Afrosho wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Typical LG overreacting. Judging Young on 3 preseason games when he has 576 regular season games over 9 seasons to look back at.

I don't see any overreaction. Nobody is really emerging in the roster as our undisputed starting SG, so the conversation is open.
You talk about Young's career, but the Nick we had under MDA for example can definitely start in this team.
Our starting unit hasn't been very convincing so far, and part of it, I think, is its lack of perimeter defense and athleticism. Young does bring those two things.

Someone just said Nick Young makes Anthony Brown "pointless".

NY is 31 years old and a chucker/scorer. AB is 24 years old and in his 2nd season. Yes. Overreaction sounds about right.

If AB can't produce (and he's an old 2nd year player, and the expectation was that he'd produce right away), and Young is playing well, why should the coaching staff eschew Young for the less productive AB?

So then you agree it makes AB redundant...?

At some point, actual production trumps 'potential.' AB has shown very little production, a reason why Swaggy P, he of DLO-beef fame, is getting playing time.

If anything, Luke has been true to his word that he will give everyone a clean slate and fair chance. AB hasn't produced, end of story.

Umm, AB has no point being on this team. Did you see him in the game last night? Air ball, lost defensively. I will take Nick over him any day

Right, because we are going to stay injury free all season. I hope we do, but that is why we have the 14th and 15th players on the bench.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

I don't know why some fans are pointing to Nicks age as being some sort of reason why he wont be here long term. Jamal Crawford is 36 and is still a legit threat off the bench. Young has value as instant offense off the bench and I don't see any reason why that would change in the next 3-5 years. We are not gonna rely on him to play 35 mins a game. He is what he is an Offensive minded sixth man that can spread the floor and must be respected at the 3 pt line no doubt. He is so confident in his shooting and that is a good thing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I have to give Swaggy credit, but he's stepping it up.

I also agree, why not try Swaggy at starting SG or bring him off the bench as the first SG over Lou, start JC?

Ok Byron, we have something that is working, we have to tinker with it so that it breaks.

What the heck?
fdavid32
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I also agree, why not try Swaggy at starting SG or bring him off the bench as the first SG over Lou, start JC?

Ok Byron, we have something that is working, we have to tinker with it so that it breaks.

What the heck?

The real swaggy P will show up sometime in the season, I don't buy into this new swaggy p look. Once a clown, always a clown. Yes, Lakers should start him, give him all the 3 point looks he can handle and trade his arse for some value.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

fdavid32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What the heck?

The real swaggy P will show up sometime in the season, I don't buy into this new swaggy p look. Once a clown, always a clown. Yes, Lakers should start him, give him all the 3 point looks he can handle and trade his arse for some value.

Wow Yinoma wants Swaggy to start now!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
fdavid32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What the heck?

It's called having an open mind, experimenting pre-season.

Why not try now?
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Amazing. All it takes is 1 semi-good game for Young to be hyped up again here.

He has a loser's mentality (celebrating after losses and 3s when we're down) and no coach will ever adjust that for him.

It's only a matter of time before he's traded or released. A few 3s aren't going to change that, no matter what the homers think.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What the heck?

Swaggy and JC are working great with the second unit, why would you want to break that up?
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
fdavid32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What the heck?

It's called having an open mind, experimenting pre-season.

Why not try now?

Yes sir I Completely agree.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

He has a loser's mentality (celebrating after losses and 3s when we're down) and no coach will ever adjust that for him.

It's only a matter of time before he's traded or released. A few 3s aren't going to change that, no matter what the homers think.
Actually, to be fair, it's been 2 games. He's been playing great which is all you can ask for. Guy is making 5.5 mil. He's proving his worth imo. I was skeptical about the chemistry issues at first, doesnt seem to be a problem. Imo, he should get a fair shake.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Actually, to be fair, it's been 2 games. He's been playing great which is all you can ask for. Guy is making 5.5 mil. He's proving his worth imo. I was skeptical about the chemistry issues at first, doesnt seem to be a problem. Imo, he should get a fair shake.

Agreed. It appears he's changed his attitude and making a solid effort to play defense. He keeps this up and AB is riding the pine. I also like the fact this put pressure on Ingram to stay sharp coming off the bench
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject:

I liked how Nick got mad when he didnt know that Mozgov was the one who pushed him in the back while taking a shot. Haha.

I don't think anyone should be surprised by Nick's offense. He showed what he can do in Coach Mike D'antoni's offense. The only thing surprising to me, is how active he's been on the defensive end. I hope this continues throughout the year.

Who knew coaching could make so much difference?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I'll take Nick over Lou for the following reaons

1. Better suited to play the limited role we need for 12-16MPG with DLO/JC/Calderon
2. More size/Better Defender
3. Better catch and shoot 3 point shooter
4. Can get more for Lou in a trade
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
I'll take Nick over Lou for the following reaons

1. Better suited to play the limited role we need for 12-16MPG with DLO/JC/Calderon
2. More size/Better Defender
3. Better catch and shoot 3 point shooter
4. Can get more for Lou in a trade

Yeah. I was dead set on the team cutting Nick. He's showing if his head is straight he can contribute.

I'm willing to reconsider my position now that he's showing much better on court play.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

fdavid32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What the heck?

No doubt.
But, supposedly Luke had a talk with him and told him no more stupidity.
If Luke backs this up by benching Young everytime he does something stupid, Young will quickly learn there's a penalty for acting stupid. I'd suspect you'd cure him of it in the first 20 games of the season.
And he should have benched immediately last night after that Moz push/Nick fouled just so he could complain to the ref.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

It's not just a few threes, he's a career 37% shooter from 3. He's a legit shooter.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

responding to krispy kreme...
nick young does NOT have a loser mentality. for a while, he was carrying the laker team, and doing pretty good job of it IMO. And when he was a clipper, he gave the clippers their greatest playoff performance. all of these complaints about nick young are purely emotional and the result of the dlo drama and the fact that we were tanking, and blame the tanking on players performances or coaches, etc. it has nothing to do with nick. all we have to do is see how he plays when we are actually trying to win, and we see it now a little that he still got it.

this is all non basketball drama, gossip, and nonsense. the fact remains that he is still our best 3pt shooter and a guy not afraid to step up. you guys are complaining about ridiculous things
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

It's not just a few threes, he's a career 37% shooter from 3. He's a legit shooter.

percentages dont matter really. there are a lot of people with good percentages that you wouldn't want shooting it too much. nick's value is not the percentage...it's his willingness to take big shots (and make them), and he's one of these guys that can change the momentum pretty quickly in a game. it's a good to great person to have on a team that doesn't really have that anywhere else, other than MAYBE lou williams. we have hope DLO will be able to become that, but it's not proven yet.

the issue with trading him is that we probably won't get a guy as good back, and we just lose our best shooter. we can get a guy with a nice percentage like calderon? but like i said, a calderon can't do what nick does. even if he's nuts and a loose cannon, big deal. really, so what. that's what coaches and the rest of the staff is for, not a big deal at all, nothing they haven't dealt with before. who are we going to get in a trade for nick?
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
dao wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

percentages dont matter really. there are a lot of people with good percentages that you wouldn't want shooting it too much. nick's value is not the percentage...it's his willingness to take big shots (and make them), and he's one of these guys that can change the momentum pretty quickly in a game. it's a good to great person to have on a team that doesn't really have that anywhere else, other than MAYBE lou williams. we have hope DLO will be able to become that, but it's not proven yet.

the issue with trading him is that we probably won't get a guy as good back, and we just lose our best shooter. we can get a guy with a nice percentage like calderon? but like i said, a calderon can't do what nick does. even if he's nuts and a loose cannon, big deal. really, so what. that's what coaches and the rest of the staff is for, not a big deal at all, nothing they haven't dealt with before. who are we going to get in a trade for nick?

You speak of him as he's the reincarnation of the Mamba.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
dao wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

You speak of him as he's the reincarnation of the Mamba.

lol...i just read what i wrote and you are correct.
i don't mean it that way, but obviously i prefer that type of player if i were to generalize. when he was carrying the team, it did feel a little mamba-ish...he doesn't have the footwork or anything, which is the main feature of kobe's snakelike moves. but he has that desire to bury a shot in your face and gain momentum. and he can make it. like yesterday, dlo had two tries to make the winner, missed both (close though). i was thinking at the time that nick should have taken those.

i normally wouldn't write this much about nick, but i am personally a little worried that he is on the trading block because of non basketball reasons, and i just don't want to be in the playoffs, in crunch time, and have people like clarkson, dlo, ingram bricking big shots. nick is good for those. the other guys have a lot of proving to be up to that level. dlo has shown literally 1-2 glimpses of it and that's all. ingram has shown nothing so far. clarkson is my fav of the bunch, but not in a great shooter way. i'm just not worried about him because the fans love him and he seems like he is definitely going to soon figure out how to be a great laker. not worried about nance. a little worried about randle, especially if the team relies on him for scoring. not worried about dlo basically at all. i'm worried about ingram, not sure yet where his greatness lies. nick...i just want him to stay, he is critically important.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
fdavid32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What the heck?

No doubt.
If Luke backs this up by benching Young everytime he does something stupid, Young will quickly learn there's a penalty for acting stupid. I'd suspect you'd cure him of it in the first 20 games of the season.
And he should have benched immediately last night after that Moz push/Nick fouled just so he could complain to the ref.

Oh please. You're so blinded by your stark bitterness that, amazingly, you lack the insight to even realize that this kind of cold, unnecessarily harsh attitude and short leash crap that you're proposing to Luke is the very reason why Byron failed so horribly in two years to get any production from him. He treated Swag (and every single player he didn't like, really) like a child.

Luke is actually treating him like a person. That's the difference. Luke is making no complaints about his easygoing, fun-loving personality because he realizes it's nothing to bemoan. Wisdom demands you to want him to keep that attitude because that's when he's at his best. He's actually committed on both ends. It was ironic how Billy Mac and Stu were giving him credit for his defense and then, right on cue, he blocked a shot....on CJ MCCOLLUM of all people.

Byron, the self-proclaimed defensive maestro, could never figure out how to get this kind of play out of Nick in two full seasons. Great coaches know how to connect with their players. They know how to reach them. You do it by talking to them, not at them. Always being uptight, harsh, and making bold threats to try to scare players into submission doesn't work. That's not how you control a locker room. It's how you lose one. It doesn't make your players buy in. It makes them tune you out. Coaching has so much more to it than being a guru at x's and o's. There's a character/personality aspect to it that's just as important as the x's and o's. Great coaches don't ignore that. It's something that they recognize and take seriously. Byron didn't, and well....yeah. Look where it got him. Worst coaching record in the history of the league and an irreversibly bad reputation. A stink that he'll never be able to get rid of because no one will ever off him another coaching job in the NBA.

It's amazing that you could sit through two years of watching him employ the self-destructive approach you're proposing things and can still be as radically oblivious to it as he was.

Quote:

^Please provide a link to back this up in the exaggerated way you're trying to spin it. Just by way of common sense, the way you're trying to spin it is intentionally inaccurate since that was Byron's approach for the last two years, yet he never got this kind of production out of Nick. A big reason why he's thriving under Luke is because Luke isn't doing things that way.
Quote:

Seriously? No, seriously? Do you know why you realized that Mozgov ran into him and he didn't? BECAUSE YOU WERE WATCHING AND HAD FULL VIEW OF THE PLAY. He didn't. He was taking the shot and Mozgov ran into him from behind. Unless you have eyes in the back of your head, you would've had no way of knowing that it was your own teammate that hit you any more than he did. It was somewhat boneheaded on Mozgov's part, a strange play that we don't see that often. I mean, players usually don't expect their own teammates to foul them. It was no big deal. Once one of his teammates told him Mozgov was the one that hit him he just laughed it off and let it go. Again, no big deal. So what in the world was Luke supposed to bench him for exactly? Camera didn't show, but if anything I'm sure Luke and the coaches probably got a kick out of it, too. It was funny. You do know it's okay sometimes to just laugh at things, right? Don't worry, it won't cause your face to explode or make your hair fall out.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What the heck?

Swaggy and JC are working great with the second unit, why would you want to break that up?

Once the season starts and/or Deng gets his regular minutes, they both won't be on the 2nd unit. Somebody would be left out of the rotation
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
P.K. wrote:
fdavid32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What the heck?

No doubt.

Oh please. You're so blinded by your stark bitterness that, amazingly, you lack the insight to even realize that this kind of cold, unnecessarily harsh attitude and short leash crap that you're proposing to Luke is the very reason why Byron failed so horribly in two years to get any production from him. He treated Swag (and every single player he didn't like, really) like a child.

Luke is actually treating him like a person. That's the difference. Luke is making no complaints about his easygoing, fun-loving personality because he realizes it's nothing to bemoan. Wisdom demands you to want him to keep that attitude because that's when he's at his best. He's actually committed on both ends. It was ironic how Billy Mac and Stu were giving him credit for his defense and then, right on cue, he blocked a shot....on CJ MCCOLLUM of all people.

Byron, the self-proclaimed defensive maestro, could never figure out how to get this kind of play out of Nick in two full seasons. Great coaches know how to connect with their players. They know how to reach them. You do it by talking to them, not at them. Always being uptight, harsh, and making bold threats to try to scare players into submission doesn't work. That's not how you control a locker room. It's how you lose one. It doesn't make your players buy in. It makes them tune you out. Coaching has so much more to it than being a guru at x's and o's. There's a character/personality aspect to it that's just as important as the x's and o's. Great coaches don't ignore that. It's something that they recognize and take seriously. Byron didn't, and well....yeah. Look where it got him. Worst coaching record in the history of the league and an irreversibly bad reputation. A stink that he'll never be able to get rid of because no one will ever off him another coaching job in the NBA.

It's amazing that you could sit through two years of watching him employ the self-destructive approach you're proposing things and can still be as radically oblivious to it as he was.

Quote:

^Please provide a link to back this up in the exaggerated way you're trying to spin it. Just by way of common sense, the way you're trying to spin it is intentionally inaccurate since that was Byron's approach for the last two years, yet he never got this kind of production out of Nick. A big reason why he's thriving under Luke is because Luke isn't doing things that way.
Quote:

Seriously? No, seriously? Do you know why you realized that Mozgov ran into him and he didn't? BECAUSE YOU WERE WATCHING AND HAD FULL VIEW OF THE PLAY. He didn't. He was taking the shot and Mozgov ran into him from behind. Unless you have eyes in the back of your head, you would've had no way of knowing that it was your own teammate that hit you any more than he did. It was somewhat boneheaded on Mozgov's part, a strange play that we don't see that often. I mean, players usually don't expect their own teammates to foul them. It was no big deal. Once one of his teammates told him Mozgov was the one that hit him he just laughed it off and let it go. Again, no big deal. So what in the world was Luke supposed to bench him for exactly? Camera didn't show, but if anything I'm sure Luke and the coaches probably got a kick out of it, too. It was funny. You do know it's okay sometimes to just laugh at things, right? Don't worry, it won't cause your face to explode or make your hair fall out.

1. Uhm...the announcers said words to that effect (paraphrased) during the game the other night.

2. Moz ran into him from behind. Then Nick almost immediately fouled and opposing player, and immediately after that turned to the ref and started complaining about a supposed foul - that wasn't actually a foul.

that's 2 stupid, very very stupid, dumb things in a row. There is no was to suger coat that and make it look like anything other then stupid.

I don't know where you learned to play basketball, but most coaches would immediately bench a player that does a "payback" foul for absolutely no reason and then compounds it by (bleep) at the referee - about a foul that wasn't.
BTW: Nick didn't even try to disguise what he did...He immediately fouled that guy because he didn't get a call...not because he was making a play on the ball...because he didn't get a call
that is incredibly stupid.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

I might be seeing things but I think we're def keeping Lou and SwaggyP... they been getting a lot of open 3 looks in this preseason (Ingram in limited minutes too). Maybe it's the coach?
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Judah wrote:
P.K. wrote:
fdavid32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What the heck?

No doubt.

Quote:

Quote:

1. Uhm...the announcers said words to that effect (paraphrased) during the game the other night.

2. Moz ran into him from behind. Then Nick almost immediately fouled and opposing player, and immediately after that turned to the ref and started complaining about a supposed foul - that wasn't actually a foul.

that's 2 stupid, very very stupid, dumb things in a row. There is no was to suger coat that and make it look like anything other then stupid.

I don't know where you learned to play basketball, but most coaches would immediately bench a player that does a "payback" foul for absolutely no reason and then compounds it by (bleep) at the referee - about a foul that wasn't.
BTW: Nick didn't even try to disguise what he did...He immediately fouled that guy because he didn't get a call...not because he was making a play on the ball...because he didn't get a call
that is incredibly stupid.

With Judah all the way on this one. Couldn't have stated it better myself.

Also, if a player makes a mistake on the floor, it's grounds for automatic punishment. It was a minor mistake, in what has been an impressive preseason for Nick. The proof is in the play, and Walton himself has verified it to reporters. So, if Walton's way of connecting with players is garnering positive results, whats the problem?

ZOOM!!!!!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: