This year's MVP?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Harden

He is going to have a monster season. So will Westbrook. But I have trouble seeing Houston being better than an 7th or 8th seed, and there is a legit chance they miss the playoffs altogether. I think the Thunder end up in the bottom half of the playoff bracket.

I have got to think, based on history, that the MVP will come from a team that is top 2 or 3 in their conference. That's likely going to be the Spurs, Warriors, Cavs, Pacers, Blazers, Raptors, Clippers and/or Celtics.

Warriors are too stacked for anyone on that team to get it. I think the legit candidates are Lillard (if he steps up more), Paul George, Kwahi Leonard and Lebron James.

Coming off the heels of a championship and because I think the media no longer sees his supporting cast (such as Love) as all that amazing, I think this is the year Lebron gets his MVP trophy back.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

I can see LBJ taking some games off this year, and generally easing back in the regular season.

I see Harden, WB, then of course KD/Curry will split the ticket so to speak being the favorites.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

I'll go with Paul George, Westbrook or Kawhi (in that order).

I'm a big fan of Kawhi, but I'm thinking his performance this season (and San Antonio's, too) will be less impressive than what we saw during the 2015/2016 regular season. As for Westbrook, I think everything we've seen from him in the past suggests that he'll have an outstanding R/S with Durant's shadow now cast over the Bay Area. Unless OKC finishes in the Top 3 in the Western Conference, I just can't see Westbrook on top.

Ultimately, I think the Pacers will be competitive and finish in the Top 3 in the Eastern Conference. I think George will have a strong season on both sides of the court (as much as I see flaws in his game), and the media voters will relish the opportunity to peddle his story ... the (relatively) unsung prospect, outplaying his draft position early on, recovering from a devastating injury playing for Team USA, and finally making good on the promise of a competitive basketball team in the Land of Hoosier.

Anyway, that's the way I see it shaping up ... Golden State (KD, Curry and maybe even Green will pull votes from one another) isn't going to see that award anytime soon. And neither will LeBron, as minute restrictions and voter fatigue will prevent him from claiming another to add to his collection.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Harden

He is going to have a monster season. So will Westbrook. But I have trouble seeing Houston being better than an 7th or 8th seed, and there is a legit chance they miss the playoffs altogether. I think the Thunder end up in the bottom half of the playoff bracket.

I have got to think, based on history, that the MVP will come from a team that is top 2 or 3 in their conference. That's likely going to be the Spurs, Warriors, Cavs, Pacers, Blazers, Raptors, Clippers and/or Celtics.

Warriors are too stacked for anyone on that team to get it. I think the legit candidates are Lillard (if he steps up more), Paul George, Kwahi Leonard and Lebron James.

Coming off the heels of a championship and because I think the media no longer sees his supporting cast (such as Love) as all that amazing, I think this is the year Lebron gets his MVP trophy back.

I agree, if OKC and/or Houston are 6, 7 or 8 seeds then Westbrook and Harden have little chance to win MVP.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:

I'm a big fan of Kawhi, but I'm thinking his performance this season (and San Antonio's, too) will be less impressive than what we saw during the 2015/2016 regular season. As for Westbrook, I think everything we've seen from him in the past suggests that he'll have an outstanding R/S with Durant's shadow now cast over the Bay Area. Unless OKC finishes in the Top 3 in the Western Conference, I just can't see Westbrook on top.

Ultimately, I think the Pacers will be competitive and finish in the Top 3 in the Eastern Conference. I think George will have a strong season on both sides of the court (as much as I see flaws in his game), and the media voters will relish the opportunity to peddle his story ... the (relatively) unsung prospect, outplaying his draft position early on, recovering from a devastating injury playing for Team USA, and finally making good on the promise of a competitive basketball team in the Land of Hoosier.

Anyway, that's the way I see it shaping up ... Golden State (KD, Curry and maybe even Green will pull votes from one another) isn't going to see that award anytime soon. And neither will LeBron, as minute restrictions and voter fatigue will prevent him from claiming another to add to his collection.

I don't think for Harden/Westbrook they have to necessarily be a top 3 team but if they can hit the magical 50 win mark (for some reason voters always bring up that #) and put up some monster averages I can see them getting the mvp. It's as wide open as it's been with 3 of the best guys in the league (Durant/Curry/Lebron) taking themselves of the conversation for various reasons (Durant/Curry taking votes from each other and Lebron via minutes restriction/voter fatigue).
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
the association wrote:

I don't think for Harden/Westbrook they have to necessarily be a top 3 team but if they can hit the magical 50 win mark (for some reason voters always bring up that #) and put up some monster averages I can see them getting the mvp. It's as wide open as it's been with 3 of the best guys in the league (Durant/Curry/Lebron) taking themselves of the conversation for various reasons (Durant/Curry taking votes from each other and Lebron via minutes restriction/voter fatigue).

Good point re: whether it's order of finish vs. a certain win threshold. I think you're probably right that most voters view wins over final conference order.

That said, I've never felt very good re: the view that a player should be disqualified from legitimate consideration based solely on team performance. By way of example, if Durant had signed with us during the offseason (and for purposes of this example, if we had also failed to retain the protected pick that yielded Ingram this year) and we ultimately won 47 games this season with Durant going for 31 / 9 / 5 on 50 / 40 / 90 (but as a team, we finished in 7th place in the WC) ... I just wouldn't see the logic in withholding one's vote in that scenario, unless another player had posted similar numbers on a substantially better team (i.e., 55+ wins).

Anyway, my two cents ...
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

The team with a top 2 seed's best player usually win it. Harden and Westbrooks teams won't be that good. I'm going with Kawhi Leonard.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

I like the Leonard guess. Only because it be annoying if it's Curry/Lebron or KD. I'd like a wild card, and if Westbrook/Harden can't win due to their team records I want to guess Leonard. I mean he is the best 2 way player, it's possible.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Harden

Ouu!! Lillard! But can Blazers finish top 4?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject:

Maybe Westbrook if OKC makes it top 3 west
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject:

Harden
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook with a triple double and 51 points tonight.
jestersmash
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject:

Lebron is due for probably 1 (MAYBE 2) more MVP(s) before he retires.

Westbrook's triple double was impressive, but he took 44 field goal attempts to get 51 points. He only made 17 of them.

Give Lebron/Kawhi 44 shots and they'll drop 60+ on you. Give Curry/Kevin Durant 44 shots and they'll drop 70 on you. Kawhi will get you steals. Lebron will get you rebounds. Curry will get you assists.

I think Westbrook is a fringe candidate for MVP, even with his 51 point triple double.
jestersmash
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

Interesting, apparently Lebron said getting MVP this season is a focus of his. I'd put the percentages of winning MVP like this

Lebron: 25%
KD: 20%
Harden: 20%
Curry: 15%
Kawhi: 15%
Westbrook: 5%
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

Kawhi.

Candidate for DPOY.
Gonna shoot somewhere in the neighborhood of 50/40/90 again.
PPG is gonna go up: 25 +/-
60 win team.

Mark it.
jestersmash
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

Might throw CP3 into the mix. I always forget that he's never won an MVP, even though he's been a perennial top 5 player in the league for years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: