Preaseason Battles for Starting Positions/Rotation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Preaseason Battles for Starting Positions/Rotation

Starting PG: DLO. I don't think there was any competition for this. 100% sure.

Primary Backup PG: Calderon. Huertas is likely our 3rd PG. Calderon brings savvy caretaker minutes at PG, and unlike Huertas, is a threat to shoot the 3 ball. I'd say this is about a 70% deal.

Starting SG: Still up for grabs IMO. Lou has started all 4 preseason games so far. It's clear to me that JC is the better player and should start, but it's still up in the air. Interestingly I think that if Luke keeps JC as the super 6th man, Swaggy should have a shot at the SG spot. Not the way I like it, but I see 50% Lou, 40% JC, 10% Swaggy.

Primary Backup SG: JC. Not a fan of this but seems Luke is going this direction.

Starting SF: Deng. Ingram isn't ready yet. 100%.

Primary Backup SF: Ingram. Swaggy probably sees some minutes here too, but Ingram is a lock at backup SF. 100%.

Starting PF: Randle. Nance made a nice push with his SPL play and overall improvement, but Randle should be the starting PF. I think it's 100% that Randle starts.

Primary Backup PF: Nance. Deng may get some minutes here, maybe even Ingram. 100%.

Starting C: After much consternation from some, Moz has solidly nailed down the starting spot. 100%

Primary Backup C: Black has earned this spot. We may see some small ball center minutes from Nance or Randle. 100%

Starting/Primary Backup Chart:

PG: DLO/Calderon
SG: Lou/JC (Ugh)
SF: Deng/Ingram
PF: Randle/Nance
C: Moz/Black

Rest of rotation:

Huertas
Swaggy
Zub
Brown
(Yi, TRob, or MWP).
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Preaseason Battles for Starting Positions/Rotation

yinoma2001 wrote:
Starting PG: DLO. I don't think there was any competition for this. 100% sure.

Primary Backup PG: Calderon. Huertas is likely our 3rd PG. Calderon brings savvy caretaker minutes at PG, and unlike Huertas, is a threat to shoot the 3 ball. I'd say this is about a 70% deal.

Starting SG: Still up for grabs IMO. Lou has started all 4 preseason games so far. It's clear to me that JC is the better player and should start, but it's still up in the air. Interestingly I think that if Luke keeps JC as the super 6th man, Swaggy should have a shot at the SG spot. Not the way I like it, but I see 50% Lou, 40% JC, 10% Swaggy.

Primary Backup SG: JC. Not a fan of this but seems Luke is going this direction.

Starting SF: Deng. Ingram isn't ready yet. 100%.

Primary Backup SF: Ingram. Swaggy probably sees some minutes here too, but Ingram is a lock at backup SF. 100%.

Starting PF: Randle. Nance made a nice push with his SPL play and overall improvement, but Randle should be the starting PF. I think it's 100% that Randle starts.

Primary Backup PF: Nance. Deng may get some minutes here, maybe even Ingram. 100%.

Starting C: After much consternation from some, Moz has solidly nailed down the starting spot. 100%

Primary Backup C: Black has earned this spot. We may see some small ball center minutes from Nance or Randle. 100%

Starting/Primary Backup Chart:

PG: DLO/Calderon
SG: Lou/JC (Ugh)
SF: Deng/Ingram
PF: Randle/Nance
C: Moz/Black

Rest of rotation:

Huertas
Swaggy
Zub
Brown
(Yi, TRob, or MWP).

Agreed. Would rather have TRob as the 15th guy but my gut tells me the FO will want it to be Yi.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I think Yi for off-court reasons, and his contract is unique in the sense it can bring back a large deal but cost the other team pennies on the dollar.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:

Lou may start as SG, but I see Clarkson playing more minutes and closing games. That's more important, imo.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject:

Bout what I'm expecting as well. Like you, I'm still kind of hoping JC gets the starting two guard spot.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I say 100%.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
Quote:

I say 100%.

Maybe. I was listening to a podcast about the Grizz, and I get a sneaky premonition that this may be a spot that Calderon ends up at the end of the year. Grizz badly need a veteran PG off the bench, especially with Conley's health. The MGasol/Calderon connection also helps.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Bout what I'm expecting as well. Like you, I'm still kind of hoping JC gets the starting two guard spot.

Me too. I want the Dlo/JC back court to start and start thinking with 1 mind now
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
55 wrote:
Quote:

I say 100%.

Maybe. I was listening to a podcast about the Grizz, and I get a sneaky premonition that this may be a spot that Calderon ends up at the end of the year. Grizz badly need a veteran PG off the bench, especially with Conley's health. The MGasol/Calderon connection also helps.

I think Huertas has played well enough to earn the backup position but I agree that Calderon will get the lion's share of the minutes to ramp up his trade value. Then Huertas will take it from there. My guess.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
55 wrote:
Quote:

I say 100%.

I think Huertas has played well enough to earn the backup position but I agree that Calderon will get the lion's share of the minutes to ramp up his trade value. Then Huertas will take it from there. My guess.

All things equal, I don't think it's even close in terms of who is better. It's Calderon by a significant margin.

But I can also see him asking to be traded to a contender too at his age, and given his experience.

if at the end of the day, Calderon helps mentor DLO for half a season, and eventually nets us 3 2nd rounders, that's a good deal.

Of course I'd love for him to stay too.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Lou may start as SG, but I see Clarkson playing more minutes and closing games. That's more important, imo.

If the preseason is any indication, that does not seem to be case when it comes to minutes.

Lou still has been playing more minutes, even starting minutes when he should be getting 15 min AT MOST per game.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject:

You pretty much nailed it Yinoma. I dont think Calderon gets traded because everyone will see how valuable he is as a back up point and how well he shoots the 3, which is critical for this team. I truly believe this team is capable of 35 wins. Unless they get a #1 pick for Calderon I think he stays.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Math wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
55 wrote:
Quote:

I say 100%.

All things equal, I don't think it's even close in terms of who is better. It's Calderon by a significant margin.

But I can also see him asking to be traded to a contender too at his age, and given his experience.

if at the end of the day, Calderon helps mentor DLO for half a season, and eventually nets us 3 2nd rounders, that's a good deal.

I think it's closer than that, especially when you consider the personnel. Huertas has looked SO good with JC, Nance and Black. The energy and ball movement with that unit is outstanding.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Math wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
55 wrote:
Quote:

I say 100%.

I think it's closer than that, especially when you consider the personnel. Huertas has looked SO good with JC, Nance and Black. The energy and ball movement with that unit is outstanding.

Disagree. There's a reason why Calderon was a long-time starter in the NBA, while Huertas became an NBA rookie in his 30s.

He has a flashy game, but so many weaknesses due to his lack of shooting. Calderon actually allows JC to handle the rock more as the lead guard in the 2nd unit. Huertas is basically useless off ball b/c he is no threat from the perimeter.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
55 wrote:
Quote:

I say 100%.

Calderon for Tony Allen then?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
55 wrote:
Quote:

I say 100%.

Allen brings too many issues offensively, would muck up our team pretty badly, especially if Huertas is the PG with him (can't shoot either).

I was thinking Brandan Wright for Calderon? (Though MGasol's injury concerns leaves them a bit thin).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Preaseason Battles for Starting Positions/Rotation

yinoma2001 wrote:

Numbers don't lie! Marcelo is shooting 100% from 3 while Calderon is barely clearing a substandard (on Marcelo's scale) 60% from 3.

In all honesty, I think Calderon is often the better fit and played very well, but I think Marcelo has also shown he can help in situations. This is actually how I see Luke playing them, matchup and situational. I do think Calderon is likely to be the primary backup, but I think Marcelo will break a sweat most nights also. It should help both vets stay fresh throughout the season.

Since we often look at GSW habits, I can see Jose and Marcelo being utilized similar to GSW utilization of Ezeli and Speights. Ezeli was the primary backup, but some situations brought Speights off the bench before Ezeli and both contributed throughout the season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Preaseason Battles for Starting Positions/Rotation

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Numbers don't lie! Marcelo is shooting 100% from 3 while Calderon is barely clearing a substandard (on Marcelo's scale) 60% from 3.

In all honesty, I think Calderon is often the better fit and played very well, but I think Marcelo has also shown he can help in situations. This is actually how I see Luke playing them, matchup and situational. I do think Calderon is likely to be the primary backup, but I think Marcelo will break a sweat most nights also. It should help both vets stay fresh throughout the season.

Since we often look at GSW habits, I can see Jose and Marcelo being utilized similar to GSW utilization of Ezeli and Speights. Ezeli was the primary backup, but some situations brought Speights off the bench before Ezeli and both contributed throughout the season.

Calderon is somewhat injury prone too so there's that.

But I think Huertas over dominates the ball when JC is out there b/c he can't shoot or play off ball. Calderon is a 40% 3 point shooter which amplifies JC's game on the bench.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
55 wrote:
Quote:

I say 100%.

Allen brings too many issues offensively, would muck up our team pretty badly, especially if Huertas is the PG with him (can't shoot either).

I was thinking Brandan Wright for Calderon? (Though MGasol's injury concerns leaves them a bit thin).

I don't think Huertas is going to play much once the regular season starts. It'll be DLO and Calderon vast majority of the time and Huertas in for blowout games.

Brandan Wright? He's a 6-10 forward who can't rebound and has taken as many 3s in his career as he's had seasons in his career (11). He's made 0. How would he be your 3/D guy?

Keep in mind Tony Allen has shot 35%-36% from deep the last couple of seasons. Not a lot of volume there, but not entirely inept either. He's also old :/
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Preaseason Battles for Starting Positions/Rotation

yinoma2001 wrote:

But I think Huertas over dominates the ball when JC is out there b/c he can't shoot or play off ball. Calderon is a 40% 3 point shooter which amplifies JC's game on the bench.

Calderon definitely decreases the fan anxiety and blood pressure when he is out there. I like the quick decisions he makes, "am I open, shoot...no, pass" which puts his teammates in a great position to do the same, and sets a tone for quick solid ball movement.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
55 wrote:
Quote:

I say 100%.

I don't think Huertas is going to play much once the regular season starts. It'll be DLO and Calderon vast majority of the time and Huertas in for blowout games.

Brandan Wright? He's a 6-10 forward who can't rebound and has taken as many 3s in his career as he's had seasons in his career (11). He's made 0. How would he be your 3/D guy?

Keep in mind Tony Allen has shot 35%-36% from deep the last couple of seasons. Not a lot of volume there, but not entirely inept either. He's also old :/

B.Wright was for salary matching purposes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Preaseason Battles for Starting Positions/Rotation

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Calderon definitely decreases the fan anxiety and blood pressure when he is out there. I like the quick decisions he makes, "am I open, shoot...no, pass" which puts his teammates in a great position to do the same, and sets a tone for quick solid ball movement.

Which will be nice for garbage time.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject:

Huertas was highest +/- vs Portland, is shooting 100% from 3 and 100% from FT. He's basically a legend.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

Keep all the 3 pt shooters! We'll get open looks in this offense
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:
Huertas was highest +/- vs Portland, is shooting 100% from 3 and 100% from FT. He's basically a legend.

Garbage Time Catalyst.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: