Preaseason Battles for Starting Positions/Rotation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
I kind of want to see Luke roll out a lineup of

DLo
Lou
Nick
Deng
Moz

Feel like we haven't seen Deng at the 4 too much. Would like to see how that would play out. I feel like he has a better post game and makes better decisions from the low block. Seems like the Deng/Randle/Moz front court is pretty clunky right now.

Would like to see;

Jose/JC/Randle/Nance/Black

run also. Feel like that would be a lineup that would maximize Julius as that'll present more transition opportunities for him. Nance and Black can also play further away from the basket giving Julius room to operate in half court sets too.

Ingram I would also like to see in the starting lineup dependant on matchups and size need, so the first scenario over Lou would be interesting or at SF and slide Nick to SG. In the second lineup he could fill in for Nance or we can try to slide JC to PG and Ingram at 2.

And I doubt we see Deng at the 4 much.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

DLo
Lou
Nick
Deng
Moz

Feel like we haven't seen Deng at the 4 too much. Would like to see how that would play out. I feel like he has a better post game and makes better decisions from the low block. Seems like the Deng/Randle/Moz front court is pretty clunky right now.

Would like to see;

run also. Feel like that would be a lineup that would maximize Julius as that'll present more transition opportunities for him. Nance and Black can also play further away from the basket giving Julius room to operate in half court sets too.

Ingram I would also like to see in the starting lineup dependant on matchups and size need, so the first scenario over Lou would be interesting or at SF and slide Nick to SG. In the second lineup he could fill in for Nance or we can try to slide JC to PG and Ingram at 2.

As Ingram starts meriting more minutes, where else would Deng see additional minutes?

Assuming Ingram's play earns him 25mpg, I doubt the Lakers cap Deng at 23mpg. I think he'll see some spot minutes at PF this year, but once Ingram takes over at SF (and Deng ages), we will see him a lot more as a combo forward.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject:

Toney Douglas and JaKarr Sampson were recently waived and both could bring a bit more athleticism and much-needed perimeter defense, if the Lakers decided to pick either player up. And there may be a few more interesting players cut loose in the next two weeks who could make more of an impact or have more upside than Yi, Brown, or Huertas.

Toney Douglas or the Catalyst? Has Mitch ever picked up a waived player?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Toney Douglas and JaKarr Sampson were recently waived and both could bring a bit more athleticism and much-needed perimeter defense, if the Lakers decided to pick either player up. And there may be a few more interesting players cut loose in the next two weeks who could make more of an impact or have more upside than Yi, Brown, or Huertas.

Tarik Black says hi. So does Carlos Boozer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

DLo
Lou
Nick
Deng
Moz

Would like to see;

As Ingram starts meriting more minutes, where else would Deng see additional minutes?

Assuming Ingram's play earns him 25mpg, I doubt the Lakers cap Deng at 23mpg. I think he'll see some spot minutes at PF this year, but once Ingram takes over at SF (and Deng ages), we will see him a lot more as a combo forward.

That kind of thinking is premature, Ingram doesn't deserve more minutes and when he does, they will likely come at the SF position with Deng on the bench.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

DLo
Lou
Nick
Deng
Moz

Would like to see;

That kind of thinking is premature, Ingram doesn't deserve more minutes and when he does, they will likely come at the SF position with Deng on the bench.

And that thinking flies in the face of what happens to a lot of SFs like Deng as they age. Look at even Paul Pierce. As he aged, the small ball PF became a better position for him. Same with Deng.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

We have two young players we are developing at the PF position. That is part of the reason Deng has seen virtually no PF minutes this preseason, we are not trying to develop him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We have two young players we are developing at the PF position. That is part of the reason Deng has seen virtually no PF minutes this preseason, we are not trying to develop him.

Who says this season? I'm saying AS Ingram merits more minutes down the road...

Deng will be a combo forward. If Ingram starts getting 28-30mpg in a year or two, Deng will be playing more at both spots. We're already seeing Randle play some small ball 5 minutes. (And IIRC Deng did play some PF minutes preseason already).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

Doubtful, I don't see the Lakers sitting Randle and Nance for Deng.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm not talking about stealing 20mpg at PF.

He's going to play around 22-24mpg at SF, and then I see him playing a few minutes at PF too, especially if one of Randle/Nance get hurt.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

I...I have no long-term memory...
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm not talking about stealing 20mpg at PF.

He's going to play around 22-24mpg at SF, and then I see him playing a few minutes at PF too, especially if one of Randle/Nance get hurt.

If one of Randle/Nance gets hurt than I'm right there with you in putting Deng at PF. Assuming everyone is healthy Luke's actually going to have quite of task of giving everybody their appropriate minutes. The only person you have on lock really is DLO. Play him as much as you can. I'd say play Clarkson as much as you can as well, but assuming he's coming off the bench that might be tricky.

Deng/Ingram, Randle/Nance, Mozgof/Black/Zubac. I guess if you're going to eat into somebody's minutes you'd go after the back up bigs'.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Deng got a minute or two at PF in the Sacramento game, barring an injury I could see him getting that every couple of games. But I think the substantial time will be eaten up by Randle and Nance.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Deng got a minute or two at PF in the Sacramento game, barring an injury I could see him getting that every couple of games. But I think the substantial time will be eaten up by Randle and Nance.

Right, that's what I'm saying. He'll get the nominal 3rd PF spot in the depth chart. And if one of Randle/Nance are injured, move up a spot.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Right, that's what I'm saying. He'll get the nominal 3rd PF spot in the depth chart. And if one of Randle/Nance are injured, move up a spot.

I think he will end up getting one to two rotations per game on average at the 4 spot
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

That kind of thinking is premature

yinoma is a classic premature thinker
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Nick young is the better 6th man (as a shooting guard). Start JC. Lou Williams is not the best SG on the team (he's not even second best). Lakers should consider shopping him for a front court player.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

I...I have no long-term memory...

It's ok, I can't blame anyone for pushing the memory of Carlos Boozer on the Lakers back in to the depths of their sub-conscious.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Nick young is the better 6th man (as a shooting guard). Start JC. Lou Williams is not the best SG on the team (he's not even second best). Lakers should consider shopping him for a front court player.

I think our front court is crowded enough as is. If we trade Lou then I'd look to get a backup PG who can play defense. A guy I'd try and get would be Ricky Rubio. Dunn is clearly their PG of the future and once he is ready to start Rubio might be made available. To make salaries match up Yi or Calderon would need to be thrown in.

After the trade our depth chart would look something like this:

PG-Russell/Rubio/Huertas
SG-JC/Young/Brown
SF-Deng/Ingram
PF-Randle/Nance/Yi
C-Mozgov/Black/Zubac
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think he will end up getting one to two rotations per game on average at the 4 spot

Could you give me some numbers? I'm trying to figure this out in my head. How many minutes are you thinking per rotation? The next question is where those minutes come from, but that's a harder question and it can wait.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

I think our front court is crowded enough as is. If we trade Lou then I'd look to get a backup PG who can play defense. A guy I'd try and get would be Ricky Rubio. Dunn is clearly their PG of the future and once he is ready to start Rubio might be made available. To make salaries match up Yi or Calderon would need to be thrown in.

PG-Russell/Rubio/Huertas
SG-JC/Young/Brown
SF-Deng/Ingram
PF-Randle/Nance/Yi
C-Mozgov/Black/Zubac

I'm good with that except Rubio's outside shot is suspect. Maybe try to get another shooter to go along with him.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Not sure where else to share this but CBS posted an article about each team's deadliest lineup. I don't want to see this as a starting lineup, but in spot minutes, this sounds like fun. Has Luke run this yet?

Quote:
D'Angelo Russell
Jordan Clarkson
Brandon Ingram
Luol Deng
Larry Nance

I want Luke Walton to put this group out there and just tell them to run. Deng is obviously best at the 4 at this point in his career, and Nance has the tools to do a Draymond Green impersonation. With Ingram's length, Russell's playmaking and Clarkson's athleticism, this lineup looks like a lot of fun. -- James Herbert

LINK
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Not sure where else to share this but CBS posted an article about each team's deadliest lineup. I don't want to see this as a starting lineup, but in spot minutes, this sounds like fun. Has Luke run this yet?

Quote:
D'Angelo Russell
Jordan Clarkson
Brandon Ingram
Luol Deng
Larry Nance

I want Luke Walton to put this group out there and just tell them to run. Deng is obviously best at the 4 at this point in his career, and Nance has the tools to do a Draymond Green impersonation. With Ingram's length, Russell's playmaking and Clarkson's athleticism, this lineup looks like a lot of fun. -- James Herbert

LINK

No, not yet. Deng has mostly gotten his minutes at PF alongside Julius at C. I'd prefer to see an all young'ns lineup this season with Randle in for Deng:

Russell
Clarkson
Ingram
Randle
Nance
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

PG-Russell/Rubio/Huertas
SG-JC/Young/Brown
SF-Deng/Ingram
PF-Randle/Nance/Yi
C-Mozgov/Black/Zubac

Adding Rubio for Lou and change would be highway robbery. The Wolves will probably never win a Rubio trade given how misunderstood the Spaniard's value is, but I'd be shocked if they would send him to the Lakers for anything less than Randle.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

Quote:
D'Angelo Russell
Jordan Clarkson
Brandon Ingram
Luol Deng
Larry Nance

LINK

This line up gets killed imo. The rebounding will be bad. The defense in the paint will be bad and offensively they aren't good enough to make up for it. It may work well against a bench unit but starters will dismantle this line up on most nights.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: