Riley takes shot at Phil Jackson...why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Riley takes shot at Phil Jackson...why?

Riley: Phil's One Of The Great Complainers
Heat coach Pat Riley tweaked Lakers coach Phil Jackson for his criticism of the officiating after Los Angeles lost 102-87 at Dallas on Tuesday night. Jackson suggested officials are intimidated by Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's practice of closely analyzing officials' calls and sending in his results to the league. "Phil has always been one of the great complainers of all time," Riley said. "I think he does it from a coaching standpoint. He definitely wants to get a mindset out there [if] in fact he ever plays [the Mavericks] in the playoffs." -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Why does Riley feel the need to take shots at Phil Jackson? Riley had an opportunity to have the Lakers head coaching job after Phil left the team. Riley not only turned down the opportunity to return to LA, many would argue that Riley stole Shaq from the Lakers and Jerry Buss during his interview for the coaching job.

I must admit it that it bothers me Riley, one of the great Lakers, is making an effort to take shots at Phil or anyone with the Lakers. Does this sit well with anyone?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

jealousy. plain and simple.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Riley takes shot at Phil Jackson...why?

iml84myd8s wrote:

Why does Riley feel the need to take shots at Phil Jackson?

Turn back the clock. Remember something about a Bulls vs. Knicks rivalry? Think Riles would ever let that go, after being bested?
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

I don't really see that as a put-down. He's just saying (as many have) that Phil likes to play mind games and use the media. No biggie.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

while its true... riley is an accomplished cry-baby as well..
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Riley takes shot at Phil Jackson...why?

iml84myd8s wrote:
Heat coach Pat Riley tweaked Lakers coach Phil Jackson for his criticism of the officiating after Los Angeles lost 102-87 at Dallas on Tuesday night. Jackson suggested officials are intimidated by Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's practice of closely analyzing officials' calls and sending in his results to the league. "Phil has always been one of the great complainers of all time," Riley said. "I think he does it from a coaching standpoint. He definitely wants to get a mindset out there [if] in fact he ever plays [the Mavericks] in the playoffs." -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Why does Riley feel the need to take shots at Phil Jackson? Riley had an opportunity to have the Lakers head coaching job after Phil left the team. Riley not only turned down the opportunity to return to LA, many would argue that Riley stole Shaq from the Lakers and Jerry Buss during his interview for the coaching job.

I must admit it that it bothers me Riley, one of the great Lakers, is making an effort to take shots at Phil or anyone with the Lakers. Does this sit well with anyone?

It's an open secret that Phil likes to play mind games, not only with opponents and the refs, but also with his own players.
I see nothing wrong with what Riles said. Part of the game.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

Its not a shot. Its the bold truth. And I love Phil for it. Any inch you can get, take it. If it means complaining, complain. Sure it has a negative connotation, but that's exactly what it is.

Kobe is getting MJ calls this season, but the refs are starting to back away from that after larry brown "complained" about it. Phil has got to find a way to make sure Kobe starts getting those "MJ" calls again. Also, the refs have been pretty blatantly anti-laker the last couple games. The game in Charlotte and NO were worse officiating than the superbowl.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject:

I don't have an issue with Cuban's comments. After all, he responded to Phil's comments and they just played each other.

However, Riley's comments out of left field make him look pathetic. Phil is better off if he doesn't even acknowledge Riley. Phil does not need to lower himself to Riley’s level.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
Its not a shot. Its the bold truth. And I love Phil for it. Any inch you can get, take it. If it means complaining, complain. Sure it has a negative connotation, but that's exactly what it is.

Kobe is getting MJ calls this season, but the refs are starting to back away from that after larry brown "complained" about it. Phil has got to find a way to make sure Kobe starts getting those "MJ" calls again. Also, the refs have been pretty blatantly anti-laker the last couple games. The game in Charlotte and NO were worse officiating than the superbowl.

i cant think of very many times kobe has gotten MJ calls.
for the most part kobe gets beat to hell around the rim and sometimes doesnt even get the blatant hacks.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

well, i mean, you're a big laker fan. Its hard to see it when there are some calls that don't go his way. Trust me, Kobe Bryant is a referee favorite.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
well, i mean, you're a big laker fan. Its hard to see it when there are some calls that don't go his way. Trust me, Kobe Bryant is a referee favorite.

big laker fan.. but i try hard not to let it cloud my judgement on bad calls.
kobe gets some favorable ones @ times... but he has yet to be treated like MJ.
Thats never happened.

Something is wrong when the best guard in the league is heistant to attack the rim when he can get around ANYONE and split just about any double team.
Hed rather shoot a fall away 15 footer or 3 because he feels he isnt getting calls.
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

It's part of the game with deep seated jealousy and frustration when Knicks cannot beat the Bulls.

Yes, Kobe is ref favorite and who knows they might ask for his John Hancock sig and hang it to their wall.
Lionel The Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

Why are the South Florida papers always writing about the Lakers?
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:

Kobe is getting MJ calls this season, but the refs are starting to back away from that after larry brown "complained" about it.

Eh? He earns his trips to the line because he DOES get fouled often, and he had been getting fouled (with no calls) earlier in the season with ridiculous consistency. The fact that Kobe gets to the line more often is a consequence of the refs being more perceptive to the little hits and bumps that Kobe gets. Look at the recent Dallas game and see that on one occasion he was grabbed by his jersey (while he went to the basket-and thrown off balance) and yet he didn't get a call. Reffing is a tricky business, and players are smart enough to hide things from the refs at times.

^^ Farmar

OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

^Because the Miami Heat have 6 former Lakers in the org. Everything they have is owed to the Lakers.....
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Riley takes shot at Phil Jackson...why?

iml84myd8s wrote:

Three words... Knicks Bulls Rivalry....

It doesn't sit well,.. but it is part of sports...

Listen, PJ is playing everybody. He knows that there is a good chance we could meet the Mavs in the first round,.. so he's planting seed with the officials now... that's all, nothing more... The more people talk about, the more PJ's point comes across. Prior to this, nobody was talking about it....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

perhaps because riley is afraid that PJ may replace him as THE laker head coach. Course we need a few more championships with PJ and Kobe first
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Riley takes shot at Phil Jackson...why?

Buck32 wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:

It's an open secret that Phil likes to play mind games, not only with opponents and the refs, but also with his own players.
I see nothing wrong with what Riles said. Part of the game.

Thank you ... If one reads it toooo fast they could perceive an insult there.. but read the full context and it is just a reference to how Phil works his words with a large brush
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Riley is a (bleep) simple and plain.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:

Kobe getting MJ calls? I know I haven't been able to watch many games this season, but there's no way players would have gotten away with hitting, scratching, and hacking MJ the way they do with Bryant. The more the refs let them get away with it, the more it becomes perfectly acceptable to guard him that way. Just because he leads the league in FT attempts, does not mean he's getting MJ calls.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Riley is an evil snake. He abandoned the Lakers when the going got tough. Pulled the old retirement bit. He did take the Knicks to the finals but he then left them too. Not like I wouldn't turn down the Miami gig but you see the man's pattern. Riley is one of the few ex Lakers I hate. I even still like Shaq but Riley is a snake in the grass. Stabbed JVG in the back also. The man is a walking contradiction. He done have a fit about the refs hating him or some bs like that. Gee I wonder why Riley?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I love Riley from the old days, but he has become downright weasly. He's definitely jealous from the knick/bulls rivalry, but think about the timing of everything too. Riley was considered god during the 3-peat, the Daly and Tomjanovich led mini-dynasties, but never reached iconic status - they were always kinda understated. Phil was the first coach to really supplant Riley in terms of media attention and success.

Plus Phil is a bit of an anti-Riley. Riley is about the slicked hair and lots of barking, yelling and testosterone. An 80's man if you will. Phil is a free luvin' hippie in touch with his feminine side - more of the 90's man.

They can't help but dislike each other.
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:

10 > 6
Tzupics
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Lionel The Laker wrote:
Why are the South Florida papers always writing about the Lakers?

EXACTLY my thought as well.......

IF i recall correctly Riles stated prior to the last game that he and Phil in essence had no "beef" and Shaq puts on the media face during that game as well.

Riles proceeds to make the 70 shots comment about Kobes 46 shots and then makes this statement ( which isnt horrible but has slight undertones).

Either somones been slipping "hate pills" in the drinks around there or it was already a match made in hell prior to the former centers arrival.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Ozendorph wrote:
I don't really see that as a put-down. He's just saying (as many have) that Phil likes to play mind games and use the media. No biggie.

^^^ What he said.

Jake Speed, 1986
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: