Lakers Defense
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Lakers Defense

No matter who starts or what the rotation is, if the Lakers don't learn to play defense they will not be relevant this season.
Every single day basketball players from all over are working on their craft to get better. It's one thing to be a natural scorer where you don't have to work as hard to shoot the ball, but it can be attained through hard work.
Every kid wants to be a Steph Curry and they are out there on the basketball courts working extremely hard at getting it done.
Shooting the basketball is half of this game the other half is Defense. Very seldom do you see this art being practiced, because the first characteristic of playing lock down defense, is the ability to WANT TO!
If Luke has been stressing defense, he might want to STRESS it some more. I didn't see the game but I saw the Highlights and Clarkson was getting abused by Thompson and we made no adjustment.

IMO in order for the Lakers to be relevant this season, they need to focus on this end of the floor. We have some potentially good defenders, but that's not their focus and Luke needs to make it their focus.

If you saw the game you were able to see the fluidity of the Warriors within their offense and that's mainly because they've been playing it for some time now and sliding a player of KD's caliber into the mix isn't all that difficult. Defensively they are discipline, but they aren't lock down.

So let's just remember...
#1 We're not, nor will be the GS Warriors...
#2 We can score the ball enough as to where it shouldn't be a concern or primary focus. Outscoring your opponent was a Dantoni trait and it didn't work well here in LA.
#3 We need to focus on DEFENSE in this league and being one of the top defensive teams in order to be relevant, if not it will be another Lottery type season...
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject:

Definitely....They are speaking about defense almost through every interview but the effort is just not there. OK they dont know who to play defense yet but effort can still be there. Put this game on side vs GSW, but I didnt see any good defense in any of these other PS games. I hope it will change when regular starts. Otherwise another top pick is coming and I dont want any kind of that crap any more. Its enough of picks we need to start playing basketball for real.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject:

Looks like ESPN will nail it with their prediction
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject:

we got better then last season, but make no mistake.. that's still a really really bad defensive team
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

If we were interested in playing defense and competing our line ups would be

PG.D'lo
SG.Ingram
SF.Deng
PF.Nance
C.Mozgov

A team with young and randle will never be able to defend...
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject:

We need that defensive anchor, or more appropriately a defensive leader. Someone who is going to bring energy, consistency and make plays on that end to help keep everyone else engaged. Also needs to have the balls to call people out and keep everyone accountable.

Deng is a good vet and defensive player but Noah was that guy in Chicago. Mosgov is solid but not a leader.

Larry nance could be that guy but it's obvious that the lakers are all in on Randle so that's out of the question. However I would throw this lineup out:

Russel
swaggy -he's been solid so why not. Give him bench minutes but let him start both halfs
Deng

Nance - make the defense his responsibility. See if he can Flourish in a bigger role. Idk why he's being relagated to a bench role.

mosgov

Bring in a super bench if

Clarkson
Lou
Ingram
Randle
Black/YI
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

watchME wrote:

PG.D'lo
SG.Ingram
SF.Deng
PF.Nance
C.Mozgov

I really, really like that lineup. Especially since Ingram, nance and deng can switch everything!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

With MWP's skills diminished there is no lock down defender on the team.

There's a ton of work, growth and development needed. We may even have to make a few trades to get more/better defense.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
With MWP's skills diminished there is no lock down defender on the team.

There's a ton of work, growth and development needed. We may even have to make a few trades to get more/better defense.

This is what I've been saying ever since Luke started Lou. In either scenario where we start or bench JC, we really need a defensive-minded or capable 2 guard to start or backup. Randle's defense also needs to improve from where it's at, but Luke sounds really sold on him, so that's probably going to be a season-long process.

How exactly would it pan out with Ingram at the 2?
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
watchME wrote:

PG.D'lo
SG.Ingram
SF.Deng
PF.Nance
C.Mozgov

I really, really like that lineup. Especially since Ingram, nance and deng can switch everything!

The only person who can create in this lineup is DLO. The Lakers aren't comfortable with their offense yet and it shows. That lineuep might be the way to go later in the season(or next year?), but at this point, all the other team would need to do was take the ball out of DLO's hand and that lineup is screwed.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

Their defense will be top 5 best
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
We need that defensive anchor, or more appropriately a defensive leader. Someone who is going to bring energy, consistency and make plays on that end to help keep everyone else engaged. Also needs to have the balls to call people out and keep everyone accountable.

Deng is a good vet and defensive player but Noah was that guy in Chicago. Mosgov is solid but not a leader.

Larry nance could be that guy but it's obvious that the lakers are all in on Randle so that's out of the question. However I would throw this lineup out:

Russel
swaggy -he's been solid so why not. Give him bench minutes but let him start both halfs
Deng

Nance - make the defense his responsibility. See if he can Flourish in a bigger role. Idk why he's being relagated to a bench role.

mosgov

Bring in a super bench if

Clarkson
Lou
Ingram
Randle
Black/YI

Agreed with a D anchor. It doesn't need to be a big either but just someone who completely brings that passion and intensity to D.

Personally, I'm starting to try this lineup:

Moz
Nance
Ingram
Clarkson
Russell

Black
Randle
Deng
Young
Calderon
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

The Warriors will do this to every team. I think we're better than last year.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
watchME wrote:

PG.D'lo
SG.Ingram
SF.Deng
PF.Nance
C.Mozgov

The only person who can create in this lineup is DLO. The Lakers aren't comfortable with their offense yet and it shows. That lineuep might be the way to go later in the season(or next year?), but at this point, all the other team would need to do was take the ball out of DLO's hand and that lineup is screwed.
really? Thats where this system will kill you.You double someone and the ball movement will create a perfect shot for someone else. This line up is longer, more athletic and knows how to fill the lanes better.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Their defense will be top 5 best
Top five best would be really good! Did you mean one of the worst five?
Dave20 wrote:
The Warriors will do this to every team. I think we're better than last year.
This.

--Anonymous
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

I think the biggest problem is with the line-up. I really wanted to see how Ingram did against Thompson. You can put Nance or Randle on KD and let JC guard Curry.

It might be a good idea to switch line-ups depending on what the opponent is.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject:

In other news Rome was built in a day. Seriously, the 3 point defense is horrible. Guys like Lilliard and Thompson were allowed to find their spot and launch shot after shot. They need to make them move, not let them get comfortable. They will improve, but as to my first comment, don't expect it in the next game.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Trust the process
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject:

When you look at the aesthetics of our players we are built to be elite defensively. Only thing missing is scheme commitment. By xmas we will be locked in and by years end will have elite numbers
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
watchME wrote:

PG.D'lo
SG.Ingram
SF.Deng
PF.Nance
C.Mozgov

Young has been arguably our best defender in preseason
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

They brought in Deng and Mozgov for leadership, but mainly on the defensive side. The young guys will make mistakes, but the changes will come by how they react on the next play after letting them down.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

Our defense has been relatively good over the first part of the pre-season, some games it was also bad.

But everyone piggybacking on getting wrecked by Golden State to make their threads now I guess.

Defensively we're better and have a much broader understanding of what we're supposed to be doing on that end but we are still mastering the basics after a year of learning nothing.

It's gonna take some time, but at least have the decency to acknowledge progress rather than act like there's been none, when if you watched the first 4 games of the pre-season it's obvious there has been.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

Last I checked, we were 18th in defense (and 13th in offense) so far in preseason. If we can get to that level for the season we will smash the wins predictions.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

Yeah we can't let that GS game allow us to lose perspective. They're an all-time great team that just added an MVP. Most of their games will be over by halftime.

It's going to be babysteps and they have shown improvement as far as their activity on the defensive end. They're creating more turnovers then they did last season.

This is what a rebuild looks like.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Last I checked, we were 18th in defense (and 13th in offense) so far in preseason. If we can get to that level for the season we will smash the wins predictions.

And that's AFTER the beatdown last night? That's still really good for this squad.

If this team is anywhere above top 20 in defense (which I doubt will happen after 82 games) then lock Luke up with the Lakers for life
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: