Lakers Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
In other news Rome was built in a day. Seriously, the 3 point defense is horrible. Guys like Lilliard and Thompson were allowed to find their spot and launch shot after shot. They need to make them move, not let them get comfortable. They will improve, but as to my first comment, don't expect it in the next game.

Yeah, the calculus of defending the perimeter against the truly elite shooters in this generation of the NBA goes far beyond executing defensive principles which we are still working on. Have to learn the rules of engagement before we can effectively bend them to address certain guys in certain spots. If we're starting to do that by the end of this season I'd be ecstatic.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
Roon wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
watchME wrote:
If we were interested in playing defense and competing our line ups would be

PG.D'lo
SG.Ingram
SF.Deng
PF.Nance
C.Mozgov

A team with young and randle will never be able to defend...

I really, really like that lineup. Especially since Ingram, nance and deng can switch everything!

The only person who can create in this lineup is DLO. The Lakers aren't comfortable with their offense yet and it shows. That lineuep might be the way to go later in the season(or next year?), but at this point, all the other team would need to do was take the ball out of DLO's hand and that lineup is screwed.
really? Thats where this system will kill you.You double someone and the ball movement will create a perfect shot for someone else. This line up is longer, more athletic and knows how to fill the lanes better.

Perhaps later in the season or next year like I said last post. The system isn't set up yet. Does it look like a polished system to you?

Curry got doubled a lot in the finals last year right?
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject:

If you watched Game 2 of Lakers vs. GSW of the preseason, you would have seen just how horrible this team is defensively. And I say this with the utmost scrutiny! I truly don't know if we have capable defenders on this team.

Firstly we have a young group of players and with that being said, most kids coming out of high school and college ARE NOT being taught DEFENSE. They are being shown how to manage the ball offensively. So this generation of Lakers might have missed out on DEFENSE and its concepts.

Here are my grades from the last game defensively:

Man Defense: Our players have difficulty staying in front of whoever they're defending. They can't seem to slide their feet nor are they able to fight through screens. Not to mention that they keep reaching for the ball and getting burnt every time. Grade = D

Positional Defense:
On defense our players have no clue of where to be. If we happen to switch to a zone, they are totally out of position and when cutters dive to the lane, they are wide open for layups. If the guard drives and kicks, our players are so poorly positioned, they can't recover and close out fast enough to stop the 3-ball from the corner or top of the key. Grade = D

Defensive Rotation: This is tied in to positional above, but deserves its own category. It seems as if they aren't talking on defense because when the pick comes, our players navigate to the ball and when the offensive player rolls to the basket or pops out, there is no one to cover him. It's bad, really bad... Grade D-

If Luke has to coach this team to play defense, meaning not only focus on the defensive end, but actually TEACH Them how to play defense, it will be a very long season. As you can see putting up points isn't the problem.

I'm hoping the Lakers and their staff figure this out, because if not we're bound for the Lottery one more time, no doubt...
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject:

Defense is definitely a work in progress. That said, you're not going to get a good read on it against these freaking Warriors. I mean

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject:

Luke actually called out the first unit last night. Said the fast starts by the opposition set the tone for the rest of the game. Whatever it is, he gave the indication that changes will probably be made.

To me, there's an insane discrepancy in how well each of the units defend. It didn't just happen against the Warriors -- the Kings, Nuggets did the exact same thing. I believe Ingram is leading the team in +/-, which gives an indication of how good the second unit is doing defensively.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Last I checked, we were 18th in defense (and 13th in offense) so far in preseason. If we can get to that level for the season we will smash the wins predictions.

What were we last year? 29th Offense and 30th Defense? I think we can get in the top 20 in Offense....maybe even get as high as 15, and while I think our goal should also be top 20 in defense, if we get to 22 or 23, I think that would be acceptable as long as it is because inexperience and not ability.

I wont be surprised if at times the defense is even top 10 for stretches (weeks), but dips for long stretches, then rises, etc.

The team we saw last night will likely be the top offense and top 5 defense, and while they were less than their best, we were very sloppy also and remained in the game throughout for the most part. The is the only team we will face that can roll that level of offensive firepower out on the court, so I think we will be fine.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject:

Man, Ingram may step up as our defensive stopper as soon as December (with Deng being called against bigger bulkier forwards).
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Luke actually called out the first unit last night. Said the fast starts by the opposition set the tone for the rest of the game. Whatever it is, he gave the indication that changes will probably be made.

To me, there's an insane discrepancy in how well each of the units defend. It didn't just happen against the Warriors -- the Kings, Nuggets did the exact same thing. I believe Ingram is leading the team in +/-, which gives an indication of how good the second unit is doing defensively.

I want to see Luke at least try Nance in the starting lineup instead of Randle before preseason is over. The discrepancy in units isn't that surprising when you're comparing starting/bench lineups vs the starting/bench lineups that they're facing.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I want to see Luke at least try Nance in the starting lineup instead of Randle before preseason is over. The discrepancy in units isn't that surprising when you're comparing starting/bench lineups vs the starting/bench lineups that they're facing.

That's a factor, but we also saw Afflalo take it straight to Lou in the first game. I believe he had 18 points in 14 minutes, which is unacceptable regardless of who is guarding him. Ideally, I'd prefer someone bigger starting at the two position (Young, Ingram).

This game, it happened with Klay on Clarkson, and Luke made the mid-game adjustment by playing Russell at the 2.

Teams will just continue to exploit the mismatches at this level.

I also don't think Randle as a starter is working -- his shot is just way too inconsistent right now. It handicaps the team when he isn't able to stretch the floor.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
If you watched Game 2 of Lakers vs. GSW of the preseason, you would have seen just how horrible this team is defensively. And I say this with the utmost scrutiny! I truly don't know if we have capable defenders on this team.

Firstly we have a young group of players and with that being said, most kids coming out of high school and college ARE NOT being taught DEFENSE. They are being shown how to manage the ball offensively. So this generation of Lakers might have missed out on DEFENSE and its concepts.

Man Defense: Our players have difficulty staying in front of whoever they're defending. They can't seem to slide their feet nor are they able to fight through screens. Not to mention that they keep reaching for the ball and getting burnt every time. Grade = D

Positional Defense:
On defense our players have no clue of where to be. If we happen to switch to a zone, they are totally out of position and when cutters dive to the lane, they are wide open for layups. If the guard drives and kicks, our players are so poorly positioned, they can't recover and close out fast enough to stop the 3-ball from the corner or top of the key. Grade = D

Defensive Rotation: This is tied in to positional above, but deserves its own category. It seems as if they aren't talking on defense because when the pick comes, our players navigate to the ball and when the offensive player rolls to the basket or pops out, there is no one to cover him. It's bad, really bad... Grade D-

If Luke has to coach this team to play defense, meaning not only focus on the defensive end, but actually TEACH Them how to play defense, it will be a very long season. As you can see putting up points isn't the problem.

I'm hoping the Lakers and their staff figure this out, because if not we're bound for the Lottery one more time, no doubt...

Well if you thought that we were headed to the playoffs we would have to give you a failing grade. Things will improve as the season progresses, we just have to be patient. And grading the team game by game is pretty much the opposite of that.

The guy really getting lit up in the preseason has been Russell. I know it is taboo to speak negatively about him but he has a long way to go to be a decent defender. Luckily I think we have the staff that can work with these players and get them respectable on defense.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

Right now our defense is not very good; it will take time to develop a true defensive mindset.
Last night our defense was bad but when you consider the competition that was to be expected.

Luke definitely has the team pointed in the right direction.
It's just going to require more time, effort, commitment and energy on the part of the players to make it happen.

I.L.I.T. - (In Luke I Trust)
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I think this would be a good idea as well... IMO Randle seems to stagnate the offensive end a bit, because he tends to horde the ball. On defense he's one of the main guys that can't stay in front of his man. Although he does an adequate job on the glass, there's been a few times when he couldn't secure the rebounds.

If you notice the difference in the teams we've played especially GSW, they get the rebound and outlet for transition. The Lakers on the other hand bring the ball up and Randle has been one of the main guys grabbing the rebounds and pushing the ball up the floor and then he's out of control, next thing turnover, next thing points for the opposing team...

This needs to be resolved, I believe Nance could be the answer here or sliding Deng over to the 4 and having Young play the three... Many options to choose from...
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

Positional Defense:

Well if you thought that we were headed to the playoffs we would have to give you a failing grade. Things will improve as the season progresses, we just have to be patient. And grading the team game by game is pretty much the opposite of that.

The guy really getting lit up in the preseason has been Russell. I know it is taboo to speak negatively about him but he has a long way to go to be a decent defender. Luckily I think we have the staff that can work with these players and get them respectable on defense.

I Never said the Lakers were a playoff team so let's give you a Failing grade for Reading Comprehension...

My point is simply that we may or may not have players on this roster who are capable of "Playing Defense" even if they have to be taught. At the NBA level you shouldn't have to teach players the fundamentals of defense...

I believe the majority of the team has been getting beat defensively, surprising enough Ingram and Young have been our best defenders, you can add Clarkson to that list with the exception of the Last two games.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

We were too small. We'd have been better with Dlo/Young/Ingram against Curry/Thompson/Durant. Thompson and Durant just ignored Clarkson and Young defending them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I think this would be a good idea as well... IMO Randle seems to stagnate the offensive end a bit, because he tends to horde the ball. On defense he's one of the main guys that can't stay in front of his man. Although he does an adequate job on the glass, there's been a few times when he couldn't secure the rebounds.

If you notice the difference in the teams we've played especially GSW, they get the rebound and outlet for transition. The Lakers on the other hand bring the ball up and Randle has been one of the main guys grabbing the rebounds and pushing the ball up the floor and then he's out of control, next thing turnover, next thing points for the opposing team...

This needs to be resolved, I believe Nance could be the answer here or sliding Deng over to the 4 and having Young play the three... Many options to choose from...

A Nance and Mosgov starting unit would severely hamper our rebounding. Neither is above average, I am not sure either is even average.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

Positional Defense:

I Never said the Lakers were a playoff team so let's give you a Failing grade for Reading Comprehension...

My point is simply that we may or may not have players on this roster who are capable of "Playing Defense" even if they have to be taught. At the NBA level you shouldn't have to teach players the fundamentals of defense...

I believe the majority of the team has been getting beat defensively, surprising enough Ingram and Young have been our best defenders, you can add Clarkson to that list with the exception of the Last two games.

That's precisely what you have to do when you're an NBA coach with young talent. As good as Golden State's offense is currently, Kerr came in and taught them the fundamentals on Day 1.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/chemistry-context-and-coco-andrew-bogut-explains-the-warriors/
Quote:
He was sold on Steve Kerr from the first practice on. “The first day of camps we did fundamentals,” Bogut says. “That’s something not many coaches want NBA guys doing. [But] we were a high-turnover team the last few years, and his big thing was making fundamentally right decisions and passes, and handling the ball efficiently. We were doing high school, college-type drills. That’s when I knew this guy was serious.”

Mark Jackson preached defensive fundamentals prior to Kerr's arrival, but they were lacking on the offensive side of the ball. A good coach will help his team, not judge them for not being where they should be. Luke understands this, and it's going to take more than a month (which is how long ago camp started) of the team being together for them to improve.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

Positional Defense:

I think you're too generous with the grading. They were downright a failure defensively. The Lakers need to have a dedicated defensive coach to teach them from scratch. They look completely lost. Offense isn't that much better.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

that exclamation point after scrutiny tho

now im just imagining that a person with a big white mustache, that likes to say posthaste in everyday conversation wrote that analysis

like it was written by somebody with a monocle on or something

like they had on knee high boots with the pants tucked in or something

its like an excited fanciness or something

alright im done being stupid

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

Positional Defense:

Of course it's going to be a very long season. Who thought otherwise? anyone? anyone? It's a group of kids and a couple of vets. Deng is old now so he can't move his feet like he use to. swaggy is swaggy. he's trying and looking better but he was never a real defender. Lou will is ok at best. russell has some defensive ability, ingram and randle as well. Nance is the best out of the bunch. A.brown if he's still on the team is pretty good but his offense is beyond suspect.

calderon was never a defender and now he's older. huertas..lol. and he's older.

tarik black. not bad. but too small at times for real big centers.

With all that said. Gstate when they were kids looked awful as well. Klay always played decent defense to me. But steph was terrible early on.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Defense is definitely a work in progress. That said, you're not going to get a good read on it against these freaking Warriors. I mean

You have two mvps on one team. Lets pause and have a moment of silence for the rest of the nba let alone the kid lakers.

2 mvps. not one. but two on one team.

you now have possibly 3 of the best shooters in the game on one team and 2 of them are mvps.

lets not discuss draymond yet or anyone else. lets just leave that right there. curry, durant, and klay.

someone tell me how to stop that with any team in the nba. It's not going to happen. What may happen is they miss shots one any given night or someone gets hurt. Thats about all that will happen. They were steam rolling the nba last year until curry got semi hurt in the offs and had to battle it out vs okc. well okc is no more with durant in a warriors uni. That ridiculous length and athleticism they had is gone. if the warriors never had to go thru the WC gauntlet in the playoffs and had an easier ride like the cavs. They would've had the energy to defeat the cavs in 5 games. now with no other threat in the west. I feel sorry for the rest of the nba including the reigning champs.

And for the record that strategy of "put someone big on curry" wont work when you need someone big on klay and someone big on durant too. how many "some big, athletic" guys do you have on one team?
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Overall I think we've been better defensively, especially the second unit. There are still big problems, but hopefully they will improve as the year goes on. The Warriors shredded our defense, but they are the best team in the league and I think people are overreacting.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I think we were top 8 defensively in the preseason before we played golden state.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

Positional Defense:

Maybe I need reading comprehension training too, because your last line clearly states that if they don't figure out the defensive issues, they will be in the lottery again. Which is where all non playoff teams are. So if they don't shape up and see your defensive complaints they will be in the same place you admit they will be anyway? Mkay.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Last I checked, we were 18th in defense (and 13th in offense) so far in preseason. If we can get to that level for the season we will smash the wins predictions.

I'm not sure that'll transfer to the regular season. I hope it does, but I'm a little wary about how bad our starters have done against other starting lineups (in terms of +/-).
That's revealing because coaches haven't really been using regular season rotations against us for most of our preseason games.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I'm not sure that'll transfer to the regular season. I hope it does, but I'm a little wary about how bad our starters have done against other starting lineups (in terms of +/-).
That's revealing because coaches haven't really been using regular season rotations against us for most of our preseason games.

And we haven't exactly been using our top lineup combos big minutes together either.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: