One week until final rosters set. Any useful players released?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:

I'm all for developing prospects, but sometimes you have to know when to cut bait.

he played one season, and had showed improvement in the preseason....but the part that really upsets me is we cut him to keep Luke's buddy Metta. Nobody thought there was a chance that Metta would get another camp invite because it has been obvious for years he cant compete at this level. I would rather Yi stay around over Metta.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
adkindo wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
adkindo wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Archie Goodwin just released.

Decent cut players.

I would move Lou for a 3rd round pick, and take Goodwin in a heartbeat.

Of course you would, since you like AB so much.

Goodwin has had a similarly underwhelming NBA career so far- not a good shooter, and not a good defender.

not sure how to respond except.....uhhh, yeah, yes I would....as I previously wrote
What kind of world do you live in that you rather trade Lou for a made up 3rd round pick while getting upset over Anthony Brown getting cut?

a more realistic world than one where claims are made the JC was the worst player in the preseason
I said you can argue that JC was the worst player when you consider expectations and reality. I'll cut him some slack due to his off court situation with his friend but yea he was pretty bad. He certainly wasn't better than Lou.

Come on, Lou shot 36% from the field and was the worst perimeter defender on the team....and that includes a game where Lou almost could not miss. JC slipped, and was less than he should have been, but he was far superior to Lou
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
adkindo wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
adkindo wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Archie Goodwin just released.

Decent cut players.

I would move Lou for a 3rd round pick, and take Goodwin in a heartbeat.

Of course you would, since you like AB so much.

Goodwin has had a similarly underwhelming NBA career so far- not a good shooter, and not a good defender.

not sure how to respond except.....uhhh, yeah, yes I would....as I previously wrote
What kind of world do you live in that you rather trade Lou for a made up 3rd round pick while getting upset over Anthony Brown getting cut?

a more realistic world than one where claims are made the JC was the worst player in the preseason
I said you can argue that JC was the worst player when you consider expectations and reality. I'll cut him some slack due to his off court situation with his friend but yea he was pretty bad. He certainly wasn't better than Lou.

Come on, Lou shot 36% from the field and was the worst perimeter defender on the team....and that includes a game where Lou almost could not miss. JC slipped, and was less than he should have been, but he was far superior to Lou
Issue I have with JC is that the ball sticks with him in the game. He hardly creates for his teammates. Lou is a chucker as well but he's actually a decent passer and finds guys for easy baskets. I just don't see JC being a part of a winning team. Lou has shown he can contribute positively to a playoff team off the bench.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Looks like MWP is a lock now

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 10m10 minutes ago

Metta World Peace: "I definitely had to earn it. Some people think it's easy."

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 4m4 minutes ago

Metta World Peace attributes his prolonged career to a change in lifestyle, including avoiding alcohol and junk food.

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 3m3 minutes ago

Thomas Robinson calls making the roster "one goal completed."

"On to the next one now."

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
adkindo wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Thunder waive Mitch McGary

Someone will pick him up.

You take shots at my Archie Goodwin and AB support, and you roll out the support train for Michigan bum Mitch McGary?

I'd definitely dump TRob and take a flyer on McGary, we probably won't be able to get him though.

yeah, with that 1.3 PPG last year, and a PER of 7.....sure there will be a big line....and of course dump a player that is only one year older and averaged 4.3 PPG last year with a PER of over 14.....and balled out for us in the preseason....makes perfect sense
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Goodwin left the year before Randle arrived in Lexington, right? I dont think they were ever teammates. Was just thinking that maybe it was Goddwin that destroyed Randles shot because legend has it Randle was a knock down jump shooter in high school/AAU before he arrived at UK.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Metta World Peace attributes his prolonged career to a change in lifestyle, including avoiding alcohol and junk food.

Quote:

Not my preferred move, but I can see how he helps the young kids out. Also some familiarity with Luke and the Lakers also helps.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not my preferred move, but I can see how he helps the young kids out. Also some familiarity with Luke and the Lakers also helps.

no you don't, your just one of those annoying "glass half full" people
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
adkindo wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Thunder waive Mitch McGary

Someone will pick him up.

You take shots at my Archie Goodwin and AB support, and you roll out the support train for Michigan bum Mitch McGary?

I'd definitely dump TRob and take a flyer on McGary, we probably won't be able to get him though.

yeah, with that 1.3 PPG last year, and a PER of 7.....sure there will be a big line....and of course dump a player that is only one year older and averaged 4.3 PPG last year with a PER of over 14.....and balled out for us in the preseason....makes perfect sense

you can't just use stats on these guys, c'mon now... As far as I can tell, McGary isn't in trouble for hard drugs like Robert Upshaw was involved with and then he somehow screwed up the league's followup policy.

This is what started the ball rolling against him. He smoked pot, that obvious sports enhancing drug

July 09, 2016
Thunder power forward Mitch McGary has been suspended for the first five games of the season. McGary failed a drug test test for marijuana usage.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

OKC waived Ronnie Price. Just sayin'...
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
OKC waived Ronnie Price. Just sayin'...

Cut DLo and get the head of the snake!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

you can't just use stats on these guys, c'mon now... As far as I can tell, McGary isn't in trouble for hard drugs like Robert Upshaw was involved with and then he somehow screwed up the league's followup policy.

This is what started the ball rolling against him. He smoked pot, that obvious sports enhancing drug

July 09, 2016
Thunder power forward Mitch McGary has been suspended for the first five games of the season. McGary failed a drug test test for marijuana usage.

I was talking about him compared to TRob. I have never been a fan of McGary....don't really trust players from that Beilein system.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
if we can't pick anybody up and it's really between TRob and Metta, I'd say keep Metta. What are we doing? Developing TRob? C'mon... at least Metta has a value as a coach

Or cut both.

Seriously. I was all in favor of retaining MWP as an AC but he's done as a player and Robinson was never enough of one for me to care whether he stays or goes.

I'd rather take a chance on a young guard prospect because both Huertas/Calderon may be gone next summer.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't McGary have a drug problem?

Tyler Ennis
RJ Hunter
Archie Goodwin
Jordan Adams

All first round picks, all cut.

Edit: My bad, Tyler Ennis was not waived, the Rockets cut Prigioni instead.

Last edited by Cochese on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

I'm all for developing prospects, but sometimes you have to know when to cut bait.

he played one season, and had showed improvement in the preseason....but the part that really upsets me is we cut him to keep Luke's buddy Metta. Nobody thought there was a chance that Metta would get another camp invite because it has been obvious for years he cant compete at this level. I would rather Yi stay around over Metta.

Metta brings things to the table beyond on court ability. He didn't want to be an assistant coach so don't suggest that.

I'm not defending the move, but I'm just stating that MWP's inability to play NBA-caliber ball is mostly orthogonal to why they brought him aboard, I think.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I really like goodwin...definitely a better player than mwp
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Didn't Gary Payton II get waived?
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Bentil just got waived. Go get him Mitch!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Metta brings things to the table beyond on court ability. He didn't want to be an assistant coach so don't suggest that.

I'm not defending the move, but I'm just stating that MWP's inability to play NBA-caliber ball is mostly orthogonal to why they brought him aboard, I think.

I didn't mention assistant coach, but does he bring that we so badly needed?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
if we can't pick anybody up and it's really between TRob and Metta, I'd say keep Metta. What are we doing? Developing TRob? C'mon... at least Metta has a value as a coach

Or cut both.

Seriously. I was all in favor of retaining MWP as an AC but he's done as a player and Robinson was never enough of one for me to care whether he stays or goes.

I'd rather take a chance on a young guard prospect because both Huertas/Calderon may be gone next summer.

That is why I really don't care who was cut and who was kept. If these players have an effect on our season we are in deep doo doo.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

IDK, that's the limitations of making judgments as a fan. We don't know what's going on in the locker room. So if we can't measure the "intangibles" MWP brings, then how do we even judge the decision to keep him? That's why I don't even really have an opinion on keeping MWP in favor of AB3.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

IDK, that's the limitations of making judgments as a fan. We don't know what's going on in the locker room. So if we can't measure the "intangibles" MWP brings, then how do we even judge the decision to keep him? That's why I don't even really have an opinion on keeping MWP in favor of AB3.

Perhaps MWP's role in the locker room is to beat the crap out of Young if Swaggy P makes an appearance at any point this season.

Surprised by the AB release. I thought his spot was safe over MWP and/or Robinson due to his reported defensive efforts and "potential". Not as emotionally attache to him as some seem to be though.

I have to admit I am finding some of the released players like GP2 or Hunter as much more intriguing then MWP though.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

I could take that to a limitless point. I could fully support all of Byron's decisions on how he handled the team because my knowledge was limited...and I could go on and on, but I assume you get my angle without a redundant list.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

would love for calderon to be healthy so they can ditch huertas and pick up a possible prospect at the 2 guard...clarkson can play back up point anyway...
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

I could take that to a limitless point. I could fully support all of Byron's decisions on how he handled the team because my knowledge was limited...and I could go on and on, but I assume you get my angle without a redundant list.

You could look at my sandwich post in the AB thread for a full fleshed out analogy. But if Metta can make one or two of the young players better, then he's worth a 14th roster spot. As far as we know AB agreed to play for the defenders.

Here's cmonkee's post from their thread. It looks like Metta can be quite effective in practice. Don't forget he's the only player on this team who started and won in an NBA Finals. His job is to make the young players better.

cmonkee wrote:
10/22 Update: https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/790647052271091712?s=09

1. Russell - 37.5

2. Williams - 37
    2. World Peace - 37

4. Clarkson - 36

5. Black - 34

6. Huertas - 33.5

7. Mozgov - 33

8. Randle - 32

9. Nance - 30

10. Robinson - 29

11. Ingram - 28

11. Deng - 28

13. Zubac - 27

14. Young - 26
    15. Calderon - 26
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: