ESPN Special about the "decline of the Lakers franchise" w/Jeanie Buss, Byron Scott, Matt Barnes interviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
At least wait until you see what Jeanie says in this stupid documentary before you roast her for it, lol. For all you know, she's offering counterpoint.

She's been great at that so far. That's really her MO when she delivers her quarterly "rag on the Lakers" address.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

Decline? They're just going through a necessarily process. Why is it all of the sudden so much worse than any other franchise just because the Lakers have been fortunate enough to predominantly avoid it the last twenty years or so?
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
No matter who you support or don't support in the organization, you have to admit that no one in the Lakers organization should be willingly involved in something titled The Decline of the Lakers.

I have said for some time that she isn't very smart. Jim is a rocket scientist compared to her and I doubt he can order for himself at Panera Bread.

City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Decline? They're just going through a necessarily process. Why is it all of the sudden so much worse than any other franchise just because the Lakers have been fortunate enough to predominantly avoid it the last twenty years or so?

Because sports journalism is more about storylines than actual truth. What better storyline then the supposed demise of a heritage franchise?

!...
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject:

I just don't get why they have to do this right before the season starts! We have a lot of positive energy going into the season and here we go again. Like the op stated, why even agree to do this interview? The title states it all. Just move forward! Leave all that crap behind and stop talking about it. Why does this happen every year before the season starts!? It's like self sabotage.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject:

Prepare for blinding insight into the painfully obvious.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Magic Johnson, Jim Buss, Mitch Kupchak, Phil Jackson, Mike Brown, Kobe Bryant and several other current and former Lakers players, coaches and staffers declined interview requests for this story, as did former NBA commissioner David Stern....

Who is missing from this list of people who were smart enough to know better than to involve themselves in this? Hmm.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Because a huge amount of Lakers fans believe in Lakers exceptionalism (which may have been a thing, but the 2011 CBA was intended to cripple that), and so ESPN will get a ton of clicks going through the Chicken Little routine.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Willing to bet there'll be no mention of the Veto or the New CBA impacting the team.

They'll also perpetuate that lie about the Lakers always bringing in big name free agents whenever they needed them.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

I guess the Lakers are the only franchise ever to have a down period?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I guess the Lakers are the only franchise ever to have a down period?

More like the last NBA franchise to have a down period.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject:

It will probably be a lot of stuff that we are fully aware of. Lakers fans are aware of the dysfunctional nature of the team for the last few years.

This program is probably directed to the nation and other people who are not devoted Laker fans. If you were a fans of the Rockets, Hawks or some other team, you probably do not follow the Lakers like the devoted fans on this message board.

ESPN is simply doing a show about what has been going on with this franchise for the last 3 to 5 years. Despite some negative comments, there is a compelling story which involves Jim, Jeannie, Phil, etc.

It is similar to the 30 to 30 story on USC Trojans. It was called "Trojan Wars" It talked about the rise and decline of the football program during the Pete Carroll era. There was also the recent one about the Orlando Magic during that Shaq and Penny era. That was pretty entertaining.
WWBD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Jim comes across looking really petty and childish from those Barnes quotes. Makes it even harder to believe that Jerry was the one who vetoed Phil's return. It was clearly Jim leading the "no" charge there.

So many of you blindly back Jim. Even if you want to ignore the Phil FUBAR - this is a man who is CLEARLY unimpressive in any free agent meeting.
WWBD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
I just don't get why they have to do this right before the season starts! We have a lot of positive energy going into the season and here we go again. Like the op stated, why even agree to do this interview? The title states it all. Just move forward! Leave all that crap behind and stop talking about it. Why does this happen every year before the season starts!? It's like self sabotage.

Lol relax. It's not self-sabotage. This team will win 20-25 games, and nothing written by ESPN is going to change that one direction or another.

This is a rudderless organization with the inability to attract free agents. Luke was a good signing and the first piece of the puzzle. But the upper management needs to go. That mostly means Jim and Mitch, the guys who have been unable to close any deals for years. But it could also include Jeannie.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject:

WWBD wrote:
Jim comes across looking really petty and childish from those Barnes quotes. Makes it even harder to believe that Jerry was the one who vetoed Phil's return. It was clearly Jim leading the "no" charge there.

So many of you blindly back Jim. Even if you want to ignore the Phil FUBAR - this is a man who is CLEARLY unimpressive in any free agent meeting.

Have you ever worked for a corporation after a takeover? First thing they do is remove all traces of the corporation that was there before. Change the corporate name. Phil wasn't ever coming back, nothing wrong with removing memories of him. And Jim, Mitch, Dr. Buss, Jeannie and Phil all said it was Dr. Buss' decision not to hire Phil. I guess you know better than those who were actually involved.
WWBD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
WWBD wrote:

Have you ever worked for a corporation after a takeover? First thing they do is remove all traces of the corporation that was there before. Change the corporate name. Phil wasn't ever coming back, nothing wrong with removing memories of him. And Jim, Mitch, Dr. Buss, Jeannie and Phil all said it was Dr. Buss' decision not to hire Phil. I guess you know better than those who were actually involved.

You're... deluding yourself. In no sense was this a "corporate takeover". This was moving on after the greatest coach in the franchise's history, who did nothing to besmirch the good name of the franchise (unless you're Jim Buss and have some sort of weird Oedipal thing going on because of your sister).

Jeannie has never said it was Jerry's decision to hire D'Antoni. You can keep smoking the company PR hookah if you like regarding the others.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:

I disagree he was the greatest Laker coach, but that is beside the point. And yes, Phil did plenty to besmirch the franchise, starting with driving Jerry West off. Dr. Buss wanted Phil Jackson nowhere near his franchise, and it was another wise move by the great Doctor. We knew that when Phil was still coaching. Dr. Buss never liked Phil, neither did West.
WWBD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I won't defend Jerry West's departure.
I don't believe for a single, golden Los Angeles second that Dr. Buss had a problem with Phil Jackson and the GREAT success and respect he brought to the franchise.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
At least wait until you see what Jeanie says in this stupid documentary before you roast her for it, lol. For all you know, she's offering counterpoint.

The fact that she's even in the doc is enough for some to say Jeanie is an idiot or a Machiavelli-level saboteur. And when she acknowledges there was an issue in the doc. That's gonna drive people nuts. Even if the overall gist of what she's saying is positive.
At this point, my perspective on Jeanie is similar to DLO. I don't let "the haters" get me upset. Both Jeanie and DLO are gonna be here for the foreseeable future. So it's up to "the haters" to get over it. No need for me to play defense attorney and argue the value and role of either person.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject:

WWBD wrote:
I don't believe for a single, golden Los Angeles second that Dr. Buss had a problem with Phil Jackson and the GREAT success and respect he brought to the franchise.
Phil Jackson brought great success and respect to the Bulls franchise as well, and the two Jerry's in Chicago can't stand Phil Jackson and doesn't want him anywhere near the front office. It's been documented that Jerry Buss doesn't want Phil anywhere near the front office.
WWBD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
WWBD wrote:
Phil Jackson brought great success and respect to the Bulls franchise as well, and the two Jerry's in Chicago can't stand Phil Jackson and doesn't want him anywhere near the front office. It's been documented that Jerry Buss doesn't want Phil anywhere near the front office.

So you are siding with the guys who have never won anything without Phil over Phil?

Ok...
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Need more information before I throw Jeanie under the Buss.
I'm not a believer of the "Jeanie Buss = Machiavelli" conspiracy theory.

Maybe they asked her to do an interview. But she didn't know what the piece would be called, or what parts of the interview they were gonna use (good or bad).
Maybe they told her exactly what the piece would be about and already had their interviews from Scott and Barnes. And Jeanie wanted to respond to the negative criticism in the piece. Like an immediate rebuttal sort of thing.

#trumpvotersharesyouranalysis

#worstmoderatoreveranditsnotevenclose

Lol. Having you on the other side of an issue is comforting.

I could kind of do without any reference from either side about the other spectator sport going on in the country....
WWBD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Need more information before I throw Jeanie under the Buss.
I'm not a believer of the "Jeanie Buss = Machiavelli" conspiracy theory.

Maybe they asked her to do an interview. But she didn't know what the piece would be called, or what parts of the interview they were gonna use (good or bad).
Maybe they told her exactly what the piece would be about and already had their interviews from Scott and Barnes. And Jeanie wanted to respond to the negative criticism in the piece. Like an immediate rebuttal sort of thing.

This is one of the only cogent responses in this entire thread.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

WWBD wrote:

Well you can believe what you want, Dr. Buss dumped Phil at every chance he had.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject:

WWBD wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
WWBD wrote:

So you are siding with the guys who have never won anything without Phil over Phil?

Ok...

It isn't siding with anyone, it is what is the truth. Something you have no grasp about. I guess I do side with Dr. Buss, I don't want Phil running the Lakers FO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: