White liberal parents in NY are irate that their children are being sent to majority Black and Latino schools in new rezoning plans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject:

May benefit the schools. Rich parents may get involved in how the schools are run and teachers teach, subjects may become more relevant.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
I'd be really pissed if I bought an expensive house for the school district just to see the lines get re-drawn.

Lines are drawn and re drawn then drawn again....I'd be pissed at myself if I moved somewhere with an expectation of permanent lines.

That's why you should never invest near those kinds of neighborhoods. You're just begging to loose it all. /sarcasm
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
I'd be really pissed if I bought an expensive house for the school district just to see the lines get re-drawn.

Lines are drawn and re drawn then drawn again....I'd be pissed at myself if I moved somewhere with an expectation of permanent lines.

So you're basically saying that people shouldn't have control over their lives.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I'd be pissed if I was one of those parents. How do we close the gap though? Parent involvement is huge as others have mentioned, but what about shifting some teachers around instead of students? Maybe if the gap is closed between the higher quality teachers and the lower ones, so too will the kids learning
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Perfect example of just another story being turned in to a race issue. No wonder we're more divisive than ever.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Or that renting is where it's at! Lol
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

That question is best answered by a Native American.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Get good at war, native americans. Conquered fair and square.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

So if a group today, comes in the US and "discovers" this land, has better military than us,introduces new diseases and whipes us out, you'd have no issue with that? Fair and square?
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

Race is currency that never stops printing.
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

So if a group today, comes in the US and "discovers" this land, has better military than us,introduces new diseases and whipes us out, you'd have no issue with that? Fair and square?

People are much smarter now. Now they will bring gifts, like money, to pay off the leaders of the country. And those leaders will allow moochers and freeloaders to infect the country slowly, and then when the virus has taken complete control, you are now under the thumb of the new order and you will be so dumb you wont even realize it.

As a matter of fact, you will attack your own citizens claiming that nothing like that is going on. And even worse than that, the real controllers will set up a duality of Power vs Weak and the middle will blame the weak while the Powerful are in the corner building all the resources they want without distraction. It's pretty clever. Especially when you have a citizenry of buffoons.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Perfect example of just another story being turned in to a race issue. No wonder we're more divisive than ever.

It actually is a racial issue, just the context is different, because it is combined with a non racial, or maybe I should say all racial issue, that of parents wanting certain things for their kids.

It also gives us an insight into problems with the economics and social balkanization of education (different districts widely different), and also gives a sharp viewer of why vouchers would just exacerbate the problem.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It actually is a racial issue, just the context is different, because it is combined with a non racial, or maybe I should say all racial issue, that of parents wanting certain things for their kids.

It also gives us an insight into problems with the economics and social balkanization of education (different districts widely different), and also gives a sharp viewer of why vouchers would just exacerbate the problem.
It doesn't seem reasonable to expect our educational system to overcome the problems of economics and social balkanization. How can we expect a school to not reflect the diversity of the families comprising the neighborhood in which the school is located? Parental involvement if the single biggest determining factor in the educational environment of a school, not the quality of teachers or facilities. If the parents prioritize education, the schools will reflect that. How could we possibly expect educators to have more influence on students than their own parents? Figure out how to close the parental gap, and the educational gap will close as well.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Figures.

Couldn't possibly be that the parents are upset about their kids having to attend a less desirable and/or different program.

But that wouldn't be fun.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:

How do they know it is the liberal parents that are pissed?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Vouchers would help to solve the problem.

It's sad that there are so many that would rather protect the current broken system than give the less fortunate the freedom to try and improve their kids' situation.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I was in a magnet high school where they brought kids from inner cities. Well its a hit and miss from my experience as a student. First the kids must be interested in learning. Unfortunately the kids they brought over are troubled, and zero interest in learning. It was a good idea in concept but it ruined it for other the kids who wanted to study.

I rather they brought over kids who had decent grades and wanted to study. It will give them better opportunity.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It's sad that there are so many that would rather protect the current broken system than give the less fortunate the freedom to try and improve their kids' situation.

You present a false dichotomy. Either give everyone some government money (which btw is really ironic from a libertarian/conservative) and let the market take care of it, or else you stand for doing nothing.

As has been covered, vouchers will simply increase the cost of good schools and leave a ton of undesirables with no options.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

You present a false dichotomy. Either give everyone some government money (which btw is really ironic from a libertarian/conservative) and let the market take care of it, or else you stand for doing nothing.

As has been covered, vouchers will simply increase the cost of good schools and leave a ton of undesirables with no options.

Why do you believe that "undesirables" would have no options?

The purpose of vouchers is for giving options to those who don't have any. Itwabout empowering parents.

And whatqthe false dichotomy? That government money is already being spent. The question is, do we keep throwing it at a system that fails? Then force parents who may not have resources to keep their kids in crap schools because apparently they don't deserve to choose.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ring says more divisive than ever. When was ever? Please explain?

Like at what time were we less divisive?
Or should I ask what do you think is so divisive?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

There were no Native Americans, all were immigrants.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

There were no Native Americans, all were immigrants.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/10/tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

Not sure about this liberal stuff (maybe UWS historically classified as more liberal?)

I've spoken to my friends who are parents living in that district. They are for expanding the good school admission numbers to accommodate more students from neighboring school district to diversify but they are against moving their children to a less academically successful school district
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: