Anonymous Scout's Take on Lakers (CNNSI)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject:

If Byron was as bad as we think, it makes turning this around even harder. Byron wasted valuable minutes on Kelly and Lou, then put in Huertas to showcase what little offense he knew as a Coach. What's all that got to do with now? Our guys lost half a year of chemistry building and our guards didn't gain experience as playmakers.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
If Byron was as bad as we think, it makes turning this around even harder. Byron wasted valuable minutes on Kelly and Lou, then put in Huertas to showcase what little offense he knew as a Coach. What's all that got to do with now? Our guys lost half a year of chemistry building and our guards didn't gain experience as playmakers.

Byron was not running any offense or defense. so the players didnt miss anything. specially with kobe playing the way he did

if they had any other coach i agree.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
A problem at this point seems to be the Lakers stubbornness in wanting to try and force a square peg in a round hole by making Russell the de facto point guard.

It is obvious to more nuanced observers that Russell is mediocre as a PG, but with serious upside as a SG. I get why the Lakers are trying to force the issue because PG is the most important position in the NBA but sometimes you have to play the hand you are dealt.

Let Russell be a top 5 shooting guard. And find a franchise PG. Clarkson is a bench player for a good team.

Russell has played 5 games with a competent coach at PG. Last year don't count.. I'm down to have that discussion after this season --- but not 10 games into the season or 30 games into it- when this squad still won't have a full grasp of how to run this offense. They spent the majority of camp focusing on Defense. Lets see how this offense looks the 2nd half of the season, with Russell at the helm.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject:

#morenuancedobservers
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
mostly sounds about right.

Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:

The analysis is pretty solid but are we really worse than Orlando, Detroit, and Atlanta? I don't follow the east that closely. I agree that we might be dead last in the West but I also see this team on the same level as Denver and Sacramento.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
#morenuancedobservers

There is a distinct theme with the posters who salivate to move DLO into a SG so we can get a pure PG.

It's nuance isn't it. The idea is ostensibly superficial, but in reality we're experiencing a substantiation of a subtle yet spanning analysis with skillful prose, and indisputable evidence. Observers who soundly leverage both traditional wisdom and as well as cutting edge innovation and technologies. It's like they're playing 4d Chess while we're all just out here watching Luke and Russ play checkers.

I can't keep up. I still like Randle .
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
#morenuancedobservers

Love it. This has to be a rhetorical technique of some kind... generalizing all those who agree with you to be smarter people who just get it.

(Edit because the grammar was killing me)

Last edited by tox on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
#morenuancedobservers

Love it. This has to be a rhetorical technique of some kind... generalizing all those who agree with you to be smarter and just get it.

It's like last year's #eyetest.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
The analysis is pretty solid but are we really worse than Orlando, Detroit, and Atlanta? I don't follow the east that closely. I agree that we might be dead last in the West but I also see this team on the same level as Denver and Sacramento.

When have these writers ever said anything positive about the Lakers while they were a question mark? No one knows the forecast and opinions are just that.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

If D'Angelo actually had played point guard at Ohio State, maybe people wouldn't question him as our future point guard. Russell said he'd never played point until last year, and the coaching didn't give him much grooming for the position. I acknowledge his higher assist numbers this preseason, but the Sacramento game just seemed to be, as they say in the Premier League, a "low quality match"(soft defense), and the 7 turnovers last night was a setback.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Scoffs wrote:

When have these writers ever said anything positive about the Lakers while they were a question mark? No one knows the forecast and opinions are just that.

Detroit will get Jackson back and easily surpass our win total. Sacramento or Denver could turn into fire sales so you never know there...Orlando is bad but they get Brooklyn or Philly 3-4 more times than we do. Atlanta? Not possible with Budenholzer coaching and all that experience, even without Teague. Miami stinks, no matter how many of "The Starters" say otherwise.

We'll see how our backcourt fares against a reasonably healthy Suns backcourt tomorrow. Not a must win obviously, but the defensive effort needs to be better than the last three games. Otherwise the scout will be sitting pretty with his picks.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
A problem at this point seems to be the Lakers stubbornness in wanting to try and force a square peg in a round hole by making Russell the de facto point guard.

It is obvious to more nuanced observers that Russell is mediocre as a PG, but with serious upside as a SG. I get why the Lakers are trying to force the issue because PG is the most important position in the NBA but sometimes you have to play the hand you are dealt.

Let Russell be a top 5 shooting guard. And find a franchise PG. Clarkson is a bench player for a good team.

Russell has played 5 games with a competent coach at PG. Last year don't count.. I'm down to have that discussion after this season --- but not 10 games into the season or 30 games into it- when this squad still won't have a full grasp of how to run this offense. They spent the majority of camp focusing on Defense. Lets see how this offense looks the 2nd half of the season, with Russell at the helm.

I agree
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
#morenuancedobservers

There is a distinct theme with the posters who salivate to move DLO into a SG so we can get a pure PG.

It's nuance isn't it. The idea is ostensibly superficial, but in reality we're experiencing a substantiation of a subtle yet spanning analysis with skillful prose, and indisputable evidence. Observers who soundly leverage both traditional wisdom and as well as cutting edge innovation and technologies. It's like they're playing 4d Chess while we're all just out here watching Luke and Russ play checkers.

And what other pure PG's have won rings lately?

Irving and Curry??
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject:

I'd be down for getting a 3&D small guard next to D'lo, but there's very few playmaking PG's you would take the ball out of D'lo's hands for.

We're not winning the chip this year. Before we start swapping personel, let the team:
1) Fix the spacing
2) Implement the counters
3) Determine how good the 5 yuuts are in a functional environment.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject:

I have seen several people assail the thoughts - opinions of what the scout thought about the team for the coming season.

Here are links to the outlooks for the Eastern and Western Conference teams.

Anonymous NBA Scouts Dish Dirt On Eastern Conference Teams

Quote:

Anonymous NBA scouts break down the good, the bad and the ugly about every Eastern Conference team heading into the 2016-17 season.

For some, it's tough to form an opinion about an off-season move or development without seeing the subjects first in action on the floor.

Luckily, anonymous NBA scouts do not have this problem.

Sports Illustrated's NBA writers spoke with scouts ahead of the 2016—17 season for our annual behind-the-scenes look at all 30 teams. Opposing scouts dished the good, the bad and the ugly on each team while discussing their off-season moves and outlook for the upcoming season. We granted them anonymity in exchange for their candor. They delivered.

Today, we unveil our extended scouts takes from our NBA preview issue for the Eastern Conference. The West can be found here.

Reporting by Ben Golliver, Rob Mahoney and Andrew Sharp.

Anonymous NBA Scouts Dish Dirt On Western Conference Teams

Quote:

Anonymous NBA scouts break down the good, the bad and the ugly of each Western Conference team heading into the 2016-17 season.

For some, it's tough to form an opinion about an off-season move or development without seeing the subjects first in action on the floor.

Luckily, anonymous NBA scouts do not have this problem.

Sports Illustrated's NBA writers spoke with scouts ahead of the 2016—17 season for our annual behind-the-scenes look at all 30 teams. Opposing scouts dished the good, the bad and the ugly on each team while discussing their off-season moves and outlook for the upcoming season. We granted them anonymity in exchange for their candor. They delivered.

Today, we unveil our extended scouts takes from our NBA preview issue for the Western Conference. Check back Thursday for the East.

Reporting by Ben Golliver, Rob Mahoney and Andrew Sharp.

The forewords for both articles mentioned that the thoughts of multiple scouts were used and the writing style suggests that snippets from several people were stitched together in the writeup for each team.

If the mention of using multiple scouts was buried deeply within each writeup, then I could understand some LG members missing it and attributing the quotes to just one scout.

Since it was mentioned in the initial paragraphs at each link, I will adjust my expectations.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
[Jamal] Crawford is underrated because he’s one of the few guys on that team that can create a shot. You wish he took better shots, but that’s his game and he’s proven that it works for years

Quote:
A guy like Nikola Jokic already looks way better than [Alex Len]

Jokic is really good, so why say "a guy like Nikola Jokic"? This just in --- a guy like Karl Anthony Towns looks much better than Ivica Zubac!

Each one of these segments seems to have at least one stupid take. I wonder if it's the same guy on all of them. Explains the Dunn over Ingram idiocy.

Last edited by tox on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:

Yes, we are pretty definitely worse than all three teams.
There's an argument the Lakers could match Denver, Sacramento, and Phoenix though (though Denver is a notch above us as well).
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Roon wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
#morenuancedobservers

And what other pure PG's have won rings lately?

Irving and Curry??

They both play for loaded teams, and each had another all-star playmaker in the starting lineup. When a team has LeBron or Draymond helping share "PG duty", they can use the PG off ball like Steph, or give it to Kyrie and turn him loose.

As for the value of pure point guards, Since Kawhi passed Parker as the Spurs' best player, the Spurs offense has suffered in the playoffs. Though he won Finals MVP, that was an ensemble cast...Parker and Diaw were unsung heroes, no one could stay in front of Tony after Game 2. He must've had a dozen hockey assists per game. Kawhi can't initiate plays and its showed as the Spurs are 9-8 in the playoffs since Parker's slowed down.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
If D'Angelo actually had played point guard at Ohio State, maybe people wouldn't question him as our future point guard. Russell said he'd never played point until last year, and the coaching didn't give him much grooming for the position. I acknowledge his higher assist numbers this preseason, but the Sacramento game just seemed to be, as they say in the Premier League, a "low quality match"(soft defense), and the 7 turnovers last night was a setback.

Jeremy Lin had 10 assists and 8 turnovers last night in a preseason game against NYK.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If we are within playoff range by AS break I can see Mitch Offering Clarkson and Randle for a very good vet player to make the playoff push.

If we are within playoff range by the AS game it will be because of our young players developing, and I wouldn't trade one of them.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

are we really still having this discussion about russell being our PG? he's gonna be our pg for the next 10 years, y'all should probably get used to it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Talking about the draft before the season starts is very Clipper-like I hope we aren't getting used to the losing.

Some of us have realistic expectations and aren't total homers.

Some of you are just negative, all the f***ing time. You pat yourself on the back and are proud when a Laker underperforms as you had hoped. And yet you still have the gall to call yourself a Laker fan. All the while being totally ignorant of what it means to be a fan. Great job.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

Would 25 wins be considered under performing?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

I think 25 wins would be a nice season, winning 30 would be fantastic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: