NBA to broadcast one game a week on virtual reality

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: NBA to broadcast one game a week on virtual reality

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/20/nba-to-broadcast-one-game-a-week-in-virtual-reality/

Quote:

NBA to broadcast one game a week in virtual reality

If you’re already playing “Sonar” or “Feral Rites” or just “The Lab” in virtual reality, why not get a closeup look at Stephen Curry draining a deep three, or Rudy Gobert rejecting a shot at the rim. And I don’t mean in a video game.

The NBA is going to start broadcasting one game a week in virtual reality, the league announced Thursday. It has partnered with NextVR to broadcast at least one League Pass game a week in VR — the NBA is the first major professional league to do it (although NextVR did already do the U.S. Open tennis tournament, The Masters, and other big events).

If you have an NBA League Pass and a Samsung Gear VR headset (or compatible smartphone) you can pay to watch the games — but the first one is free. On Oct. 27 the Spurs visiting the Sacramento Kings fans can watch Kawhi Leonard shut down Ben McLemore in virtual reality for free.

From the NBA’s press release:

Fans with a Samsung Gear VR headset and a compatible Samsung smartphone can experience the free preview by accessing the NBA Channel within the NextVR app. Later this season, the offering will be expanded to support additional VR headset options.

The weekly games will be available as part of the NBA LEAGUE PASS full season package. Whether purchased through a third party distributor or directly through the NBA, fans will be able to authenticate their accounts by inputting their NBA LEAGUE PASS login credentials (obtained at NBA.com or the NBA App) within NextVR’s app.

The VR broadcasts will be fully produced with dedicated announcers, multiple unmanned camera angles and optimized graphics. Game breaks will be filled with in-venue entertainment, behind-the-scenes footage from the arena and VR-specific commentary.

Sounds promising.

I’m not about to speculate on the popularity of this, but smart move by the NBA to get out in front of this and try it. You have to love that the NBA is adventurous and will push the market, the NFL probably won’t try this until 2036.
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA to broadcast one game a week on virtual reality

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/20/nba-to-broadcast-one-game-a-week-in-virtual-reality/

Quote:

NBA to broadcast one game a week in virtual reality

If you’re already playing “Sonar” or “Feral Rites” or just “The Lab” in virtual reality, why not get a closeup look at Stephen Curry draining a deep three, or Rudy Gobert rejecting a shot at the rim. And I don’t mean in a video game.

The NBA is going to start broadcasting one game a week in virtual reality, the league announced Thursday. It has partnered with NextVR to broadcast at least one League Pass game a week in VR — the NBA is the first major professional league to do it (although NextVR did already do the U.S. Open tennis tournament, The Masters, and other big events).

If you have an NBA League Pass and a Samsung Gear VR headset (or compatible smartphone) you can pay to watch the games — but the first one is free. On Oct. 27 the Spurs visiting the Sacramento Kings fans can watch Kawhi Leonard shut down Ben McLemore in virtual reality for free.

From the NBA’s press release:

Fans with a Samsung Gear VR headset and a compatible Samsung smartphone can experience the free preview by accessing the NBA Channel within the NextVR app. Later this season, the offering will be expanded to support additional VR headset options.

The weekly games will be available as part of the NBA LEAGUE PASS full season package. Whether purchased through a third party distributor or directly through the NBA, fans will be able to authenticate their accounts by inputting their NBA LEAGUE PASS login credentials (obtained at NBA.com or the NBA App) within NextVR’s app.

The VR broadcasts will be fully produced with dedicated announcers, multiple unmanned camera angles and optimized graphics. Game breaks will be filled with in-venue entertainment, behind-the-scenes footage from the arena and VR-specific commentary.

Sounds promising.

I’m not about to speculate on the popularity of this, but smart move by the NBA to get out in front of this and try it. You have to love that the NBA is adventurous and will push the market, the NFL probably won’t try this until 2036.

Amazing the difference between Adam Silver and that worthless hack Roger Goodell.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Eh there's not much of a difference between the two Silver just hasn't worn out his welcome.. yet.
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Eh there's not much of a difference between the two Silver just hasn't worn out his welcome.. yet.

hmmmmmmm, yaaaaaaaaa.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

I hope playstation VR can work out a deal with NextVR. Last I checked they haven't.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

If you watch a LeBron or Harden game, you get the thrill of fouling them without actually touching them. Just like in the real game!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I hope playstation VR can work out a deal with NextVR. Last I checked they haven't.

Same. I also hope the games could be pay on demand and not require the full league pass, but I know that's asking for too much lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject:

The Brain wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

hmmmmmmm, yaaaaaaaaa.

I swear silver has the best draft voice (in my opinion).

"With the first pick in the 2016 Commission draft, the NBA fans select.....me?"

haha
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: