Happy Birthday, Eddie Jones!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Happy Birthday, Eddie Jones!

Today, Eddie turns 45. Happy birthday, Eddie!
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject:

My favorite player growing up. No one else mastered the art of putting your hands on your hips in disbelief after a foul call quite like him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Good player who will always be remembered as a Laker despite playing for multiple teams. HB!
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject:

My second all time favorite Laker, after James Worthy, Eddie JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONES!!!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject:

I think we should dust him off and get him in there
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Lets remember at one time we had some hope in this kid at a very dark time, and he played very well. The timing of the CBA and the desperation to close the deal on a ring led to the Rice deal. It would have been fun to see him as a Laker longer, but he was fun to watch while we had him.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
My favorite player growing up. No one else mastered the art of putting your hands on your hips in disbelief after a foul call quite like him.
man npz with these gold clips yo...

eddie should have his jersey retired.

[edit]
and of course, npz has the free throw line dunk, was looking for that. look, everyone, that is a legit free throw dunk in a game. there are not many of these in real life. and anyone saying it's in front of the line...yes it is. literally one foot length, it's really not much. considering most of the dunk contest cases (yes, including mj) had his foot square on the line, it's only a few inches difference really. and in the contest, you can travel and no defenders, and you've practiced, etc etc.

so really...it's one of the longest impressive dunks in history. I know lebron has one also, and it's supposed to be legit. but i looked it up once and it wasn't clear...the videos were really bad or something. who else? not many.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Eddie Jones, the appetizer. Was pretty happy we finally got an athletic wing that soared. Little did we know that a few years later, we would get the main course, Kobe beef.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject:

We should have never traded Nick the quick and EJ. Those guys were my boys. Man that was a long time ago back when I still played with slammers and had light up kicks growing up in the 90's rocked.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject:

The pride of Ely High School, Florida. Circa 1990.

Things that stood out.

Missed championships with the Lakers and Heat.

Kobe and Wade both moved into his starting shooting guard position, although he was probably the better pure shooter.

In 2004, Wade's rookie season, the Heat probably would have beaten Indiana in the playoffs had Wade taken the last shot instead of Eddie Jones.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
We should have never traded Nick the quick and EJ. Those guys were my boys. Man that was a long time ago back when I still played with slammers and had light up kicks growing up in the 90's rocked.

Yeah, I'm bummed Van Exel and Eddie didn't get some rings with us.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Yeah, I'm bummed Van Exel and Eddie didn't get some rings with us.

Shaq got them both traded. And then he got Eddie traded again from Miami.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Cochese wrote:

[edit]
and of course, npz has the free throw line dunk, was looking for that. look, everyone, that is a legit free throw dunk in a game. there are not many of these in real life. and anyone saying it's in front of the line...yes it is. literally one foot length, it's really not much. considering most of the dunk contest cases (yes, including mj) had his foot square on the line, it's only a few inches difference really. and in the contest, you can travel and no defenders, and you've practiced, etc etc.

so really...it's one of the longest impressive dunks in history. I know lebron has one also, and it's supposed to be legit. but i looked it up once and it wasn't clear...the videos were really bad or something. who else? not many.

That dunk was impressive, but I think Eddie's greatest highlight move is this one:

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Cochese wrote:

[edit]

That dunk was impressive, but I think Eddie's greatest highlight move is this one:

gaaaaa!! oh man...i just texted peezy for that one, but i didn't know exactly how to describe it! yes, this is one of my long lost memory plays! man. eddie was a great laker.

btw, who is saying nick or eddie is a better shooter than kobe? wut? kobe shoots threes like klay, and plays midrange like mj. eddie and nick combined might have a chance. but i'll never find the quotes, i think kobe learned more from nick and eddie than possibly any other teammates.

i long resented shaq for what he did. i was super pissed when coach chose to let kobe shoot those airballs vs utah. that was a sad, low point. that shot should have gone to nick. i was not happy about that, nor was i happy with shaq. i didn't think kobe would be the kind of clutch player nick was, who was one of the best in the league. kobe turned all that around within 2-3 years. this is why i give massive respect to kobe. to go from airballing while taking the shot away from a guy born to do such things....and then doing what he did later, is an incredible thing. lebron has never ever shown such growth or reached such heights. hardly anyone has.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't he the Laker's first lottery pick? Happy birthday EJ
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Happy Birthday, Jones!

#elevationjones #steadyeddie

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Never thought about that, but yeah, I would guess so. Before 94, Lakers hadn't missed playoffs for 15 years. And Lottery started with Ewing 85.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Cochese wrote:

[edit]

Knew the play before I clicked the link . I think Eddie took off too early but made a the greatest finger roll out of a bad situation.

Happy Bday Eddie! Those mid 90s teams have a special place in my heart.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Eddie Jones! As far as I can remember, I became a Lakers fan around 94-95. So many memories for all those players in that video.

Antonio Harvey! Anthony Pig Miller! Anthony Peeler! Cedric Ceballos!
Oh my oh my
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Eddie Jones! As far as I can remember, I became a Lakers fan around 94-95. So many memories for all those players in that video.

Oh my oh my

When I say Eddie, you say Jones!...Eddie (-JONES!)...Eddie (-JONES!)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

He was the best pick from 5-10, too. Four man top heavy, Minny got the booby prize with Donyell at 4. Clippers took Lamond Murray at 7, Philly took Sharone Wright at 6 (injury case), Celtics took Eric Montross at 9. Yikes!

Eddie was a year older than Shaq. The days when you could nab a 3-4 year player who could play right away and play well. He took a lot of minutes from Peeler, who had already been in the league for 2 yrs and he got Worthy to hang em up and made Christie superfluous.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He was the best pick from 5-10, too. Four man top heavy, Minny got the booby prize with Donyell at 4. Clippers took Lamond Murray at 7, Philly took Sharone Wright at 6 (injury case), Celtics took Eric Montross at 9. Yikes!

Eddie was a year older than Shaq. The days when you could nab a 3-4 year player who could play right away and play well. He took a lot of minutes from Peeler, who had already been in the league for 2 yrs and he got Worthy to hang em up and made Christie superfluous.

geezus...you're memory is so accurate on these things man.

now that you mention it, here's a question regarding kobe and eddie...
eddie was flyin high when the lakers got kobe. fans now will act like they knew for sure kobe would become this great player. but honestly, at the time, most wise fans were HIGHLY skeptical that he would even be better than eddie. right? so what was the tipping point for all that? shaq's complaining? for me, i wasn't convinced until that orlando game where kobe did a remarkable comeback....i think his first impressive scoring outburst. that was the first time i thought "boy, i haven't really seen any lakers do that." and then i started to see that he could be better than eddie.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
danzag wrote:

Oh my oh my

When I say Eddie, you say Jones!...Eddie (-JONES!)...Eddie (-JONES!)

My fave Lakers of those times and a great stadium hype song to go with. Good times. Happy bday to Eddie.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

He was my first favorite player. My first jersey growing up was Magic, b/c my dad didn't really give me a choice, but my 2nd was Eddie. Still have that small jersey hanging in my closet. Great player.
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject:

Damn, I missed this. Happy Belated Birthday, Eddie!

Loved Eddie Jones growing up. Loved that entire team, in fact. Nick the Quick. Cedric. Elden and Vlade as the bigs. Peeler and Sedale off the bench. Games called by Chicky Baby. Good times. Great times!

But looking back at the birthday boy, Eddie was solid defender ranking high on the steals list. Smooth slasher to the rim, but also able to hit the 3-point shot. All-Star. Loved his game and was sad to see him go. Always a Laker.

E-DDIE! E-DDIE! E-DDIE! E-DDIE!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: