Byron Scott says if Jim Buss was good at his job, he'd still be the Head Coach
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Byron Scott says if Jim Buss was good at his job, he'd still be the Head Coach

Outside The Lines ✔ @OTLonESPN
Former @Lakers coach Byron Scott’s thoughts on Jim Buss as EVP of basketball operations...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvUUrdZXYAAJabw.jpg

Can a mod please 'pretty up' that image if you have the time? we need evidence of this kind of blatant denial and undeserved arrogance.

Don't know whether to be beside myself, or sick.

For the record, this is the full quote.

"I think he's done okay. I would be sitting here lying to you if I said I think he's done a great job, because I think if he'd done a great job, I'd still be there."

You know... Every time you try to give this guy any benefit of the doubt, to at least say 'well I hated him as a coach, but I loved him as a player and he's still a Laker'.... but this kind of petty childish [expletive] is precisely why he does NOT have a job in the NBA and could never keep one as a 'Coach'. I've got no words left for this man.

Just... there it is. Enjoy.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

He's not wrong. I'm sure there's a team out there that would be talented enough to make it Byron-Proof. He did make it to two consecutive NBA Finals.

What has Jim Buss done?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Even if it were true, wouldn't some team have hired Byron? Hell, D'Antoni and Nate McMillan, two former washouts, were hired for some teams. Byron's ego is only surpassed by his tanking skills.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
He's not wrong. I'm sure there's a team out there that would be talented enough to make it Byron-Proof. He did make it to two consecutive NBA Finals.

What has Jim Buss done?

Worst mistake Jim made was okaying the hiring of Byron. Dude could have been coaching the original dream team and he would still make them look like they were playing in the 1940's.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott is quickly making sure that he becomes hated in LA and makes his past Laker connection to disappear.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Shouldn't expect anything less from the worst coach in NBA history.

He's increasingly making harder and harder to remember him as a good player once.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:

What has Jim Buss done?

Worst mistake Jim made was okaying the hiring of Byron. Dude could have been coaching the original dream team and he would still make them look like they were playing in the 1940's.

Again, Byron took the New Jersey Nets (who have traditionally been a crap franchise) to back-back NBA Finals.

He was in a no-win situation in Cleveland and LA. New Orleans was just an average NBA tenure.

People thinking this guy is like the worst coach ever, again, are going to get a rude awakening this year when their chosen one Luke Walton loses a ton of games too.

It's the talent. And talent acquisition is all on Jim Buss.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject:

"Byron Scott says if Jim Buss was good at his job, he'd still be the Head Coach"

by the same measure, if Byron had been good at his job Jeannie wouldn't have been talking about having to fire Jimbo and Mitch.

kind of a two way street there
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject:

GO AWAY BYRON
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:

What has Jim Buss done?

Again, Byron took the New Jersey Nets (who have traditionally been a crap franchise) to back-back NBA Finals.

He was in a no-win situation in Cleveland and LA. New Orleans was just an average NBA tenure.

People thinking this guy is like the worst coach ever, again, are going to get a rude awakening this year when their chosen one Luke Walton loses a ton of games too.

I'm not getting into it with someone who clearly doesn't recognize how archaic Byron's coaching abilities are. Hell, even Naismith would have called what he was doing out of date.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:

What has Jim Buss done?

A bit of revisionist history if you will... Jason Kidd mutiny'd him for Lawrence Frank, who was thought to be the true architect of those Nets teams. That being said, the discrepancy in those finals series should tell you everything you need to know about the eastern conference during those years. It's also not too often that you get a prime Jason Kidd leading your team.
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:

What has Jim Buss done?

Wasup Byron?
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Not the biggest Jim Buss fan in the world but can this guy stop making excuses for himself?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Byron Salt
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

If Byron was handed the 2015 warriors squad, they'd finish with 55 wins.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:

What has Jim Buss done?

You are right. It is all about the talent.

Let's see how good the players are before we bury them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Worst Laker coach ever.

Would like for him to fade away so I can remember him fondly for his Showtime days.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

i don't think you guys know what this is really about.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

You'd be the last to know what anything is about.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have been gracious towards Byron since letting him go. They were fools if they thought a person of his character would respond in kind.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

Oh, please enlighten us!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

What's he supposed to say? "Jim has been amazing as an owner and that includes his decision to fire me!"

Water is wet, sky is blue, Byron has a massive ego.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) this guy. Straight up
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:

What has Jim Buss done?

How often do we see vetoed CP3, Dwight-esue trades in NBA? You can't acquire talent without assets. Jim's fault lies in coaching hires like Brown, MDA and Byron.

As for draft choices, we will know how good/bad they were in due time. No one expects Luke to turn it around in a year either. When the likes of Durant and Curry spent multiple years in lottery, who'd expect instant results anyway? Young players won't develop overnight. Byron is an archaic, stubborn coach who's all words(like his defense preaching) so had to go.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:

What has Jim Buss done?

Yeah, maybe if you stick Byron as the Warriors head coach. Or the Cavs, LeBron can do the coaching for him.

Byron doesn't even make it to the Finals with the Warriors last year (OKC beats them).

And what has Jim Buss done? He's pivoted the team from one that all in to Kobe (who then tore his Achilles) to having a core of Ingram, Russell, Clarkson, Nance, Randle, etc. He's had some luck in getting there, but then again he also had the luck of the veto, of Kobe's Achilles tearing, etc... so I suppose it goes both ways.

But hey, get in your hate before the team's ascendant trajectory becomes undeniable. It'll make #receipts all the more satisfying.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: