Will Andrew ever get to the point where he will be nearly unstoppable with his hook shot..?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGoldenChild
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Will Andrew ever get to the point where he will be nearly unstoppable with his hook shot..?

You can't block a shot like that..

Cap knew it and destroyed opposing players for years.

Do you thinkAndrew will have enough skill/talent to master the same shot..?

You have to have pretty soft hands too.

I just saw the knicks highlights and realized that nobody will be able to block that shot.. and it's still being developed.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Seems to have the necessary skills and desire to work on it...and he's 18. Safe a bet as any that he gets there, but still so early.
Bystander
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

He still didn't reach this point?.... Damn, Mitch screwed up again.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Andrew can be the player he works to be.

He has the talent needed to become an undefendable player. He gave New York fits like that and yet he's still years way from being where he should be physically and fundamentally.

The upside is there but it's not guaranteed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Yes.
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Some of you act like Kareem made every sky hook he attempted. The bottom line is by the time Andrew stops growing, he won't need to use the hook shot. His arms are too long making it much harder for him than it was for Kareem. I think Andrew should be taught to back down opponents and hammer it home like Shaq instead of dribbling out and throwing the hook. He's alreadya bigger and stronger player than Kareem ever was and to the best of my knowledge he's further along strength wise than Shaq was at 18.

I think you should ask this question, what type of player would you rather see Andrew develop into? A strong inside presence like Shaq or a quick center with a shot like Kareem?
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

OK, first off, let's pretend that Bynum has Cap's talent, drive, and smarts (HUGE freaking leap of faith). Besides those things (again, a big fat "Duh!"), Andrew has the incredible wingspan (7'7"), height (7'1" and growing), and hands (huge) to make a hook shot for him a very rare weapon in this league. Does Bynum have the athleticism to pull off that shot consistently? Yes, in terms of vertical and quickness he is more advanced than the Lakers' version of Kareem from about 1980/81 onward, and Cap's skyhook was just as deadly in his Laker days. Obviously that's an older Kareem, but the point remains the same.

Still, the talent and drive part are really impossible to gauge. You hear good things about his drive and focus now, but a lot of good and a lot of bad can happen in the next few seasons during Bynum's critical development period. Let's hope for the former.

Last edited by KA_2 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Shouldn't we see if Bynum can become a starter in this league before we discuss if his hook shot becomes unstopable?
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
Some of you act like Kareem made every sky hook he attempted. The bottom line is by the time Andrew stops growing, he won't need to use the hook shot. His arms are too long making it much harder for him than it was for Kareem. I think Andrew should be taught to back down opponents and hammer it home like Shaq instead of dribbling out and throwing the hook. He's alreadya bigger and stronger player than Kareem ever was and to the best of my knowledge he's further along strength wise than Shaq was at 18.

I think you should ask this question, what type of player would you rather see Andrew develop into? A strong inside presence like Shaq or a quick center with a shot like Kareem?

I'd like Andrew to develop into a combination of Shaq/Kareem/Duncan - and I think he can do that if he works his butt off and, as KA says, there's a little luck mixed in there (injuries, staying motivated, opportunity). He's already more physical than Cap was and he really does look like the illegimate son of Shaq and Duncan in terms of his physical make up. With Cap teaching him offense, this kid can be something we haven't seen before.

I know the coach at U-Conn HATED that the Lakers took Andrew (he wanted him for himself), but if you're Andrew and you have the choice of being taught by Calhoun or Kareem Abdul Jabbar, who would you take? The Lakers are really doing right by this kid (and themselves) because they're truly developing him in the right way. What a blessing of an opportunity this kid has been given, and I can't wait to see what he becomes. Don't you just have a feeling about this guy? I've had one since before the draft and he just keeps blowing my mind beyond what I could have expected so early on. After all, you can't anticipate the mental make-up and heart of a player - and he's shown something special in that sense.

Last edited by LakerJam on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Shouldn't we see if Bynum can become a starter in this league before we discuss if his hook shot becomes unstopable?

You have a problem anticipating a player's potential? If you do, you must find draft time incredibly boring.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

I agree. Some people just don't realize how far this guy has to go. Let see how he does over the next few years before you make him the next Jabbar.

Just because he is coached by Jabbar does not make him a Jabbar.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but if you're Andrew and you have the choice of being taught by Calhoun or Kareem Abdul Jabbar, who would you take?

Actually I don't think Bynum knew that Jabar would coach him when he declared/stayed in the draft.

He wanted to become a Laker over going to College.

I would do the same .....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
but if you're Andrew and you have the choice of being taught by Calhoun or Kareem Abdul Jabbar, who would you take?

Actually I don't think Bynum knew that Jabar would coach him when he declared/stayed in the draft.

He wanted to become a Laker over going to College.

I would do the same .....

Yeah, you're right - that's true, but in hindsight, you can see how darn lucky this kid is. AND you can see that he's really respecting and listening to Kareem, because he's actually applying the things Cap is teaching him on the court.
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:

He probably won't ever shoot the sky hook Kareem made famous. Kareem swung and jumped from one leg and got airborne but Bynum doesn't and doesn't really need to with his length. It'll be impossible to block even though he doesn't jump much on the hook. That being said, I think he'll eventually make the hook a huge part of his offensive arsenal but just the threat of the hook will open up other options that will lead to dunks and layups especially with his great footwork.
TheGoldenChild
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it's too far fetched to think that he will one day become a starter.. It seems pretty obvious to me, barringany injuries/etc., that he will indeed one day be a starter. Not only a starter but a damn fine player.

He is just so quick for his size, he has crazy hops, doesn't mind banging around, likes to shoot from a little out, and has a great attitude.. and the crazy foot work too!

I hope I see him reach his full potential one day.. it should be a sight to behold.

Go Andrew!
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
STiG909 wrote:

I'd like Andrew to develop into a combination of Shaq/Kareem/Duncan - and I think he can do that if he works his butt off and, as KA says, there's a little luck mixed in there (injuries, staying motivated, opportunity). He's already more physical than Cap was and he really does look like the illegimate son of Shaq and Duncan in terms of his physical make up. With Cap teaching him offense, this kid can be something we haven't seen before.

I know the coach at U-Conn HATED that the Lakers took Andrew (he wanted him for himself), but if you're Andrew and you have the choice of being taught by Calhoun or Kareem Abdul Jabbar, who would you take? The Lakers are really doing right by this kid (and themselves) because they're truly developing him in the right way. What a blessing of an opportunity this kid has been given, and I can't wait to see what he becomes. Don't you just have a feeling about this guy? I've had one since before the draft and he just keeps blowing my mind beyond what I could have expected so early on. After all, you can't anticipate the mental make-up and heart of a player - and he's shown something special in that sense.

to your question. I'll take Calhoun... ha ha ha , joking....

But to the point of how we're taking care of our PICK. this should be a lesson to the Wizards. "How to take care of your bigman for Dummies" . Rule 1. get him a big man coach( a legit legend or something close to it). 2. build his confidence. 3. bring him along slowly(whats the rush, even if your guy puts up mosterous numbers a team like the wiz would still lose a ton of games).

yes sir, Bynum should = Snaqs, Timmy D, and Cap. if he gets those skills, then develops the smarts to know when to turn into which guy, will be key. you got guys floppin for bogus charges. go Cap on em. You got a team trying to clog the lane so kobe and the guys cant get in there. Go Timmy D on em. You have 1 on 1 coverage with someone playing you straight up. DUNK ON EM Snaqs style.
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:

If Bynum could be a Shaq/Kareem/Duncan hybrid he'd be the best player in the history of the game. I think to have success you have to keep it simple. He'll find out what his strengths are through these 1st couple of years. Personally I picture Bynum becoming a long dominating inside presence and a solid interior defender. I just hope he becomes a gym rat and learns how to stay healthy. If he stays lean while gaining Shaq-like strength we may see things we've never witnessed before out of a big man.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Actually I would rather see a Shaq-type player because in this age. that type of player is almost unstoppable
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

K8KillerInstinct wrote:
Actually I would rather see a Shaq-type player because in this age. that type of player is almost unstoppable

^ You'd take Shaq over Kareem? Christ no.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:

Forget about Shaq's personal problems and attitude for a moment, but I would actually take a player who is the most DOMINANT player in the paint. Completely unstoppable strength and power. From a bastketball standpoint, I think Shaq is more dominant than Kareem.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

K8KillerInstinct wrote:
KA_2 wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:

Forget about Shaq's personal problems and attitude for a moment, but I would actually take a player who is the most DOMINANT player in the paint. Completely unstoppable strength and power. From a bastketball standpoint, I think Shaq is more dominant than Kareem.

If he plays like Shaq then he will be built like him. Which means he will fall apart at 32. I would prefer a more finesse guy that doesnt have to catch the ball 3 feet away. And where it dosen't takes the guy 20 secs out off the clock to finally muscle his way into the paint.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
KA_2 wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:

If he plays like Shaq then he will be built like him. Which means he will fall apart at 32. I would prefer a more finesse guy that doesnt have to catch the ball 3 feet away. And where it dosen't takes the guy 20 secs out off the clock to finally muscle his way into the paint.

Not really.

Shaq started to fall apart because years of neglecting his body have caught up with him. That's one of the things that frustrates most people when it comes to him. As good as he was, he could have been so much better for so much longer if he had only worked out in the summer instead of gorging on Krispy Kremes and Snaq Packs from Burger King. If he had only spent that time working on his game instead of relaxing and letting himself go, he would still be productive even into his 30's.

Shaq could have had that finesse game that extended his career if he had put the effort into learning it earlier instead of thinking that he really was superman.

He could have been more dominant than Kareem, but he wasn't. Yes, he was the most unstoppable force in the game at a time when there was noone close to his size, but that didn't really last as long it could have or should have.

Kareem wasn't all about finesse, but that aspect of his game remained long after his body was unable to dominate like he once did. He was able to play into his 40's because he started to take better care of himself. Since he already had the finesse game in his arsenal, it was there for him at the end.

That being said, Bynum should do what the best always do. Don't try to become the next Shaq or Kareem or Duncan. Just become the first Bynum.
mitch&kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject:

bynum should earn more minutes.

He just comes in rubbish time now.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Someone needs to get bynum out of puberty. I hope he doesn't become dominant until he learns how to talk. Its hard to see him as a force when his voice is higher than my sisters.

But I think he is a phenomenal raw player and I think he will develop many unstoppable aspects to his game. He needs to keep working with cap and stay humble.
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Bynum is more kareem like than shaq. He lacks shaqs athleticism and power, if you saw shaq in high school you will know. WHat bynum has that shaq lacks is skill. The hook shot is a skill shot that has little to do with athleticism. Having long arms, big soft hands and the skill level is most important. That and lots of practice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: