Grade the Lakers pre-season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What grade do you give the Lakers?
A
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
B
27%
 27%  [ 22 ]
C
51%
 51%  [ 41 ]
D
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
F
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 80

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Grade the Lakers pre-season

Lakers showed a lot of positives, and to me what stands out is the fact that Luke didn't try developing chemistry with the 1st unit, I barely even saw Deng play during preseason then you had to see different line ups.

So far what we know:

Mozgov is a reliable center who can help you
Ingram has great D at the age of 19
Randle can end up being a energy guy instead of a star
Clarkson is finally trying to play D
Russell is gonna be a 18-20PPG this year
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

More like a B- / C+ for me. But I picked B.

Bench looks good, DLo looking way better than this time last year, JC looking better on defense, Nance looking better than ever, Nick changing my opinion of him with his play. Some semblances at times of a more free flowing offense.

Ingram not as far along as I had hoped but still lots of potential, starters still coming out slow, not a fan of some of our lineups, offense stalls and sometimes we fall back in to iso mode, positions still not locked down, free throws atrocious.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

Bench looks good, DLo looking way better than this time last year, JC looking better on defense, Nance looking better than ever, Nick changing my opinion of him with his play. Some semblances at times of a more free flowing offense.

Ingram not as far along as I had hoped but still lots of potential, starters still coming out slow, not a fan of some of our lineups, offense stalls and sometimes we fall back in to iso mode, positions still not locked down, free throws atrocious.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Agree about starting slow, that to me is apparent that we are gonna need better play from either Lou or Clarkson or we might need to get a better SG via trade.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I gave a B as well for the same reasons. We got to see some of the individual talent, but I would've liked to see a starting 5 with good chemistry emerge from this preseason. Didn't happen. Otherwise would've been an A.

Ingram isn't as far along offensively as I expected, but he exceeded my expectations defensively. So I was overall pleased with his performance. We have to remember that there are some incoming college freshmen the same age as him.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

F for Fantastic
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

I voted for a solid C. Muh 2 cents:

The biggest problem right now is the starting line up. We've started slow in several games, Luke needs to find the right mix. I'd like to see Deng and Ingram together, just to see how effective it is.

In some of the games we had trouble rebounding, which will be costly if we can't fix it.

Turnovers are another problem right now. We are moving the ball more, but turning it over more as well. I suppose in Byron's system turnovers were lower because no one passed, lol.

Defense remains a work in progress, but several players look more engaged then they were last year, which is a good sign. I'm hoping our guys can get on the same page.

I kind of like our roster right now...except for Lou. I just think he's a bad fit. his contract is a bargain and he can get buckets, but I just don't like him on this team. I wish we could replace him with a solid 3 and D type dude...good luck finding one. I'm high on Clarkson, but I love him with that second unit.

Overall I thought we had a solid preseason. Some of the games we lost were winnable and I like our style of play. Still plenty of work to do and we probably won't win a ton of games, but at least we should play entertaining ball.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject:

I agree it's in the B+/C- range so I went with C because of the 2-6 record. They experimented with a lot of different lineups and rotations which is what I expected from a first year staff. As a whole, the team looks much better than last year. More ball and player movement and fluidity on offense is what has me most excited. JC and Youngs defense is much improved as well but the team defense is still a work in progress. Moderately happy about the preseason but I'm really excited to see the growth in the coming months.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

B. They accomplished some of the evaluation they needed, and got some of their principles installed.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

C+

Ton of work and development left to do but headed in the right direction.

"In Luke I Trust"
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

D.
-Putting Lou into the starting lineup is already a big negative
-The inconsistency of our players is bloody as hell
-Little chemistry is shown between some of the young core, this is not the results I wanted with all those time practicing together as the Breakfast Club.
-Maybe it's because they are still learning Luke's new system, the players seem to be hesitant to make the right play.
-And yeah, that interview from Byron ruined the whole preseason to me so I blame the Lakers failing to shut his mouth up.

I love basketball. *Metta voice*
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I want to hear from anyone who graded this preseason with an F
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
B. They accomplished some of the evaluation they needed, and got some of their principles installed.

They didn't need to evaluate Nance with the first unit? Swaggy as a SG with first unit? Where we ended up at SG (Lou starting) is not a positive. I gave them a C- because I think there could have been much more evaluated. Luke claimed the starting lineup would change throughout the preseason, trying a lot of different looks. Seemed more like the only changes he really made was rest vets and fill in for injuries.

I am not advocating starting Nance or Swaggy @ SG, but I do think they are looks that deserved a solid look, and evaluate the results.

Also, if TRob is cut for Yi or Metta, then my grade changes to a D because that means the decision was made before they rolled the ball out on the court.....which I am ok with, but why the BS charade. Luke said he needed to review the tapes because he was unable to make a decision from watching the game....so he didn't see Yi give up point after point on defense and TRob literally taking over the game with pure effort and aggression?
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Do we grade them with the criteria compared to the rest of the NBA, or do we grade them with a curve given we have been so bad that we don't except too much anymore?

On par with the rest of the NBA we get an F because we still aren't good.

With a curve, and comparing to the last couple seasons probably a C cause there has been some improvement and signs of potential, but we still aren't good
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

B - despite the record, all of the games were winnable with the exception of the Warrior games. The Denver game, Portland game, and Phoenix game all came down to the wire.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
B - despite the record, all of the games were winnable with the exception of the Warrior games. The Denver game, Portland game, and Phoenix game all came down to the wire.

That's precisely why I also graded them a B as well, I think we are gonna be right there with Phoenix and Denver and are very close to being on Portlands level.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject:

IF we're just grading the starting unit for the fast points they are giving to the opposition each first quarter? F-.

Other than that, they get a C+ overall from me. The bench was very, very solid.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject:

B. The system is in place. The energy and focus on defense is much more intense compared to last season. They play with some level of enthusiasm on that end.

Offensively, the Lakers are running initial plays and just getting comfortable. Sometimes there's some indecisiveness or mix up. But at the same time, we've seen scoring outbursts from JC, Russell, and even Ingram. Randle is playing a role that he's more comfortable with and I'm not watching him do that stutterstep at the FT line, spin move right into a defender.

What would make it an A? Really crisp ball movement regardless of line up. It's a lot to ask, but it's easy to see that Lou Williams still chucks. Nick Young, OTOH, seems to get shots within the flow of the offense and exerts focus on defense.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

I'd give it a C because we didn't find our starting lineup. Overall very enjoyable pre season to watch wich some fine offensive/defensive moments and some real struggles on both sides aswell wich was to be expected. But we're going into the season a little bit in the dark as far as our starters are concerned.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
B. The system is in place. The energy and focus on defense is much more intense compared to last season. They play with some level of enthusiasm on that end.

Offensively, the Lakers are running initial plays and just getting comfortable. Sometimes there's some indecisiveness or mix up. But at the same time, we've seen scoring outbursts from JC, Russell, and even Ingram. Randle is playing a role that he's more comfortable with and I'm not watching him do that stutterstep at the FT line, spin move right into a defender.

What would make it an A? Really crisp ball movement regardless of line up. It's a lot to ask, but it's easy to see that Lou Williams still chucks. Nick Young, OTOH, seems to get shots within the flow of the offense and exerts focus on defense.

And what's make it even more Impressive is that we did it without much chemistry with the 1st unit.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Randle getting mins like he is entitled over nance who barely got consistent mins
Lou williams starting at the SG spot and continuing to do so
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Randle getting mins like he is entitled over nance who barely got consistent mins
Lou williams starting at the SG spot and continuing to do so

Yeah Lou starting is a bit concerning. It's a development year, Clarkson should definately start, especially over Lou.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

How would you guys grade each player individually?

2016-2017 Los Angeles Lakers Preseason Stats - Averages

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Los-Angeles-Lakers/13/Stats/2017/Averages/Qualified/points/All/desc/1/Preseason
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
C+

Ton of work and development left to do but headed in the right direction.

"In Luke I Trust"

Ya, C+ probably. Deng and Moz missed games, so the starting lineup didn't begin to build the chemistry you want them working towards..
Individually, it's definitely a B+ preseason for Russell imo - the flashes were too amazing. Aside from his outbursts, most of our young core was underwhelming - Which is not abnormal considering their age..
We're still not close to being well versed in our offense.. We're probably 40% of where we want to be midseason --- so that development wasn't great either so far.. But that also is fine to take time.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand how the core was so underwhelming. I understand that the system benefits the players' style of play, but was JC that bad? Didn't Randle show off his playmaking more often?

I wouldn't consider this an "Average" preseason. Then again, I figure that Byron Scott's preseason last year was average. No real stand out games. A blanket of a system in place. High effort, minimal effectiveness.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: