Pentagon Forcing Ex-Soldiers to Repay Enlistment Bonuses
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Pentagon Forcing Ex-Soldiers to Repay Enlistment Bonuses

Quote:
Nearly 10,000 California National Guard soldiers have been ordered to repay huge enlistment bonuses a decade after signing up to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan, a newspaper reported Saturday.

The Pentagon demanded the money back after audits revealed overpayments by the California Guard under pressure to fill ranks and hit enlistment goals. If soldiers refuse, they could face interest charges, wage garnishments and tax liens.

Faced with a shortage of troops at the height of the two wars, California Guard officials offered bonuses of $15,000 or more for soldiers to reenlist.

A federal investigation in 2010 found thousands of bonuses and student loan payments were improperly doled out to California Guard soldiers. About 9,700 current and retired soldiers received notices to repay some or all of their bonuses with more than $22 million recovered so far.

Soldiers said they feel betrayed at having to repay the money.

“These bonuses were used to keep people in,” said Christopher Van Meter, a 42-year-old former Army captain and Iraq veteran who was awarded a Purple Heart. “People like me just got screwed.”

The Pentagon agency that oversees state Guard groups has said that bonus overpayments occurred in every state, but more so in California, which has 17,000 soldiers.

California Guard officials said they are helping soldiers and veterans file appeals with agencies that can erase the debts. But soldiers said it’s a long process and there’s no guarantee they’ll win.

Retired Army major and Iraq veteran Robert D’Andrea said he was told to repay his $20,000 because auditors could not find a copy of the contract he says he signed.

D’Andrea appealed and is running out of options.

Pentagon Betrayal

Simply Disgusting.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Can't anyone have the power to do something about this? Do these guys a solid and waive it.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject:

The President should waive this if he has the power.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject:

$22M is chump change
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Despicable
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I hate all this BS patriotism stuff. It's all so phony. Make everyone salute members of the armed services and sing the National Anthem. Then send them off to fight pointless war and screw them out of their benefits when they come back.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Considering how we little in pay we give our soldiers, wiping out this debt should be a priority in Congress.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject:

So, were the soldiers promised X and given X+Y and the Pentagon wants Y back? If so, then that is sad but I have to side with the Pentagon.

But, if soldiers were promised X by recruits and given X, then, I'm not even sure the Pentagon can legally take it back can they?

It's like, if a car salesman wants to give me a car for a price that is below cost, the car company would fire the salesman, not come after me.

But if I agreed to pay $30K for the car, only paid $27K and left the lot, they can rightfully come after me for the $3K.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
So, were the soldiers promised X and given X+Y and the Pentagon wants Y back? If so, then that is sad but I have to side with the Pentagon.

But, if soldiers were promised X by recruits and given X, then, I'm not even sure the Pentagon can legally take it back can they?

It's like, if a car salesman wants to give me a car for a price that is below cost, the car company would fire the salesman, not come after me.

But if I agreed to pay $30K for the car, only paid $27K and left the lot, they can rightfully come after me for the $3K.

they have already collected $22,000,000 from men and women who ALREADY SERVED this nation with their blood and heart

This would be civil war in any other generation.. first person to think they could come and tell me to repay the government for money they paid me and that was owed to me... might get shot in the face

you have to be one of the dumbest mfers ever born to be willing to tell a soldier it owes you money from TEN YEARS ago because the enlistment office lied to you..

this is one extremely disgusting news article
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Wrong on just about every level.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I hate all this BS patriotism stuff. It's all so phony. Make everyone salute members of the armed services and sing the National Anthem. Then send them off to fight pointless war and screw them out of their benefits when they come back.

Many people are honestly patriotic and there is nothing phony about it. I will acknowledge that your cynicism is very on trend.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

You must be joking....
We have a country that is willing to bail out the banks to the tune of $700 billion dollars.
But we can't figure out a way to fix an error of 22 million? They are going to force these serviceman and servicewomen to pay back that money given to them thru no fault of their own. The money that was given to them is long gone, so whatever money they will attempt to recover will probably put them in financial trouble. Don't forget military service pays peanuts. It is not something you do because it has good pay. This is a Congress that passes budgets to the tune of trillions of dollars per year. I expect them to fix this problem and if they aren't well that just shows how much they care about vets after they are done with them.
I also think that such a analogy is disingenuous considering military service is paid in blood, not to mention a lot of people who give their time to the military never end up the same afterwards, for example PTSD, etc...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

You must be joking....
We have a country that is willing to bail out the banks to the tune of $700 billion dollars.
But we can't figure out a way to fix an error of 22 million? They are going to force these serviceman and servicewomen to pay back that money given to them thru no fault of their own. The money that was given to them is long gone, so whatever money they will attempt to recover will probably put them in financial trouble. Don't forget military service pays peanuts. It is not something you do because it has good pay. This is a Congress that passes budgets to the tune of trillions of dollars per year. I expect them to fix this problem and if they aren't well that just shows how much they care about vets after they are done with them.
I also think that such a analogy is disingenuous considering military service is paid in blood, not to mention a lot of people who give their time to the military never end up the same afterwards, for example PTSD, etc...

Exactly just what I wanted to mention

Join the military to defend your country
Leave with PTSD especially when you are told the country you just attacked didn't have WMD's

Become a politician and leave your term a multimillionaire with forever KUSH EXECUTIVE Health Care

CEO of Wells Fargo.. what he earn.. oops.. be paid even after they remove many bonuses?? ONE MAN!!!

Government is a vile disgusting pig..
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

You must be joking....

Don't get me wrong. I feel bad either way. But there would be a difference between being promised $10K and accepting a check for $12K, and being promised a check for $10K and getting $10K. If the recruiters lied, the soldiers shouldnt have to return a single penny.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

You must be joking....

Don't get me wrong. I feel bad either way. But there would be a difference between being promised $10K and accepting a check for $12K, and being promised a check for $10K and getting $10K. If the recruiters lied, the soldiers shouldnt have to return a single penny.

Well,if you read the article, it says the California National Guard were the ones that screwed up. BTW, I think that part where they supposedly lost his contract and then forcing him to repay 20k was a terrible way to screw him over.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject:

Dumb and disrespectful.
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Many people are honestly patriotic and there is nothing phony about it. I will acknowledge that your cynicism is very on trend.

Phony is what human beings want. Especially Americans. They want to believe in phony idol's and their ideals. Because it makes them feel good. History has records and records of it through countless regimes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentagon Forcing Ex-Soldiers to Repay Enlistment Bonuses

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Nearly 10,000 California National Guard soldiers have been ordered to repay huge enlistment bonuses a decade after signing up to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan, a newspaper reported Saturday.

The Pentagon demanded the money back after audits revealed overpayments by the California Guard under pressure to fill ranks and hit enlistment goals. If soldiers refuse, they could face interest charges, wage garnishments and tax liens.

Faced with a shortage of troops at the height of the two wars, California Guard officials offered bonuses of $15,000 or more for soldiers to reenlist.

A federal investigation in 2010 found thousands of bonuses and student loan payments were improperly doled out to California Guard soldiers. About 9,700 current and retired soldiers received notices to repay some or all of their bonuses with more than $22 million recovered so far.

Soldiers said they feel betrayed at having to repay the money.

“These bonuses were used to keep people in,” said Christopher Van Meter, a 42-year-old former Army captain and Iraq veteran who was awarded a Purple Heart. “People like me just got screwed.”

The Pentagon agency that oversees state Guard groups has said that bonus overpayments occurred in every state, but more so in California, which has 17,000 soldiers.

California Guard officials said they are helping soldiers and veterans file appeals with agencies that can erase the debts. But soldiers said it’s a long process and there’s no guarantee they’ll win.

Retired Army major and Iraq veteran Robert D’Andrea said he was told to repay his $20,000 because auditors could not find a copy of the contract he says he signed.

D’Andrea appealed and is running out of options.

Pentagon Betrayal

Simply Disgusting.

On the part of the California National Guard. Take their official's salaries to make up for the corruption they caused.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
BTW, I think that part where they supposedly lost his contract and then forcing him to repay 20k was a terrible way to screw him over.

That's what I've been trying to wrap my head around. Unless they are claiming that he broke into an office and wrote himself a check for $20,000, then how on earth could it be HIS fault? If it was the California National Guard that presumably wrote the check, then it would seem that the Pentagon should be going after the California National Guard, not the innocent soldier. It just makes no sense. These guys didn't write themselves checks.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Is there anything President Obama or Congress can do to have the Pentagon vacate the decision for payments?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Is there anything President Obama or Congress can do to have the Pentagon vacate the decision for payments?

Congress can pass a law to prevent the Pentagon from going after the soldiers.

More info:
Quote:

Quote:
"The California National Guard does not have the authority to unilaterally waive these debts. However, the California National Guard welcomes any law passed by Congress to waive these debts.
"Until that time, our priority is to advocate for our Soldiers through this difficult process."

In its statement, the service adds that its adjutant general, Maj. Gen. David S. Baldwin, created an assistance center that has helped some of its soldiers "retain $37 million dollars of original bonus payments."

The problem of improper use of military troop-level incentives isn't limited to California — but the state has emerged as a focal point because of two factors: the large size of its Guard force, and a history of overpayments.
A scandal over the California Guard's use of bonus money was first unearthed in 2010, when the Sacramento Bee reported that its incentive program had misspent as much as $100 million.

The program's one-time leader, former master sergeant Toni Jaffe, was later sentenced to 30 months in prison, after pleading guilty to making $15 million in false claims.

When it was first discovered, that scandal was deemed "war profiteering" and was said to have benefited Guard members who hadn't logged any combat duty; high-ranking officers were mentioned. But in the years since, lower-ranking service members have complained about garnished checks and a prolonged review process, saying they've done nothing wrong.

Revelations about fraud and mismanagement in the Pentagon's retention program emerged after the program's budget swelled between 2000 and 2008 — when the Defense Department went from spending $891 million for selective reenlistment bonuses to spending $1.4 billion on them, according to a 2010 research paper by the RAND defense institute. By the end of that period, the military was also spending $625 million yearly to pay enlistment bonuses.

War Bonus Scandal
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

The government overpaid these people. Looks like they just want to collect what was unintentionally/accidentally given.

Open a "go fund me" and the American citizens will take care of them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Congress can pass a law to prevent the Pentagon from going after the soldiers.

More info:
Quote:

Quote:
"The California National Guard does not have the authority to unilaterally waive these debts. However, the California National Guard welcomes any law passed by Congress to waive these debts.
"Until that time, our priority is to advocate for our Soldiers through this difficult process."

In its statement, the service adds that its adjutant general, Maj. Gen. David S. Baldwin, created an assistance center that has helped some of its soldiers "retain $37 million dollars of original bonus payments."

The problem of improper use of military troop-level incentives isn't limited to California — but the state has emerged as a focal point because of two factors: the large size of its Guard force, and a history of overpayments.
A scandal over the California Guard's use of bonus money was first unearthed in 2010, when the Sacramento Bee reported that its incentive program had misspent as much as $100 million.

The program's one-time leader, former master sergeant Toni Jaffe, was later sentenced to 30 months in prison, after pleading guilty to making $15 million in false claims.

When it was first discovered, that scandal was deemed "war profiteering" and was said to have benefited Guard members who hadn't logged any combat duty; high-ranking officers were mentioned. But in the years since, lower-ranking service members have complained about garnished checks and a prolonged review process, saying they've done nothing wrong.

Revelations about fraud and mismanagement in the Pentagon's retention program emerged after the program's budget swelled between 2000 and 2008 — when the Defense Department went from spending $891 million for selective reenlistment bonuses to spending $1.4 billion on them, according to a 2010 research paper by the RAND defense institute. By the end of that period, the military was also spending $625 million yearly to pay enlistment bonuses.

War Bonus Scandal

Hopefully Congress will Spike Lee.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
The government overpaid these people. Looks like they just want to collect what was unintentionally/accidentally given.

It wasn't accidently, it was fraud. Fraud by the California National Guard. Make them pay for it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Legacy wrote:

It wasn't accidently, it was fraud. Fraud by the California National Guard. Make them pay for it.

The California National Guard or a few individuals?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: