PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Mark Feinsand‏
Verified account
 @Feinsand 4m
4 minutes ago

More
Source: Dodgers are "looking hard" at the lefty reliever market. Justin Wilson, Zach Britton, Brad Hand all on their radar.

Zach Britton would be sick.

If completely healthy, yes. But I worry about that. I wonder why the O's would be so eager to trade him, since he still has 2 years of team control left and they aren't having a complete fire sale (they aren't going to move Machado even though he, too, has 2 years of team control left, for example). He's been on the DL twice with forearm issues. That's a major concern. And he is going to cost at least one of our top prospects. Personally, I'd rather go for Justin Wilson, who also has 2 years of team control left, likely won't cost as much in terms of prospects, and who won't cost as much in arbitration next season as Britton. But man, if I knew Britton were healthy, that would be a devastating combination with Jansen.

Here's something I've been thinking, and this is really aiming high: I wonder if the Pirates would even be willing to listen on Felipe Rivero. A young lefty reliever who throws 100? Who can't be a free agent until 2022? Who has a 0.71 ERA and a 0.71 WHIP? I realize that the price would be astronomical, but...that's the type of dude I'd be willing to give up a ton for. What about something like Yadier Alvarez, Willie Calhoun, Joc Pederson, Grant Dayton, and their choice of Yusniel Diaz or Gavin Lux for McCutchen and Rivero? McCutchen has been hitting like the MVP version of himself since mid-May, and in looking at his defensive work in CF, it's equal to, or slightly better than, Joc's defensive ratings, depending on which metric you prefer. (Slightly negative value in CF for both.) McCutchen would also solve the problem of having to bench our centerfielder vs. lefties, and he could bat fifth in the lineup, right after Bellinger. The Pirates would get Joc to replace Cutch in their major league lineup, and would have one further year of team control on him than they do McCutchen, and at a cheaper salary. And in return for them giving up Rivero, they get a haul. Alvarez is our #1 pitching prospect, is ranked #39 overall on mlb.com, and his fastball can reach 100, like Rivero. Calhoun (#69 overall) is already MLB-ready with the bat, and with Harrison capable of playing third base also, he could be their starter at the keystone next season. (Harrison could also be a trade candidate, himself.) Dayton gives them back a left-handed major league option in their bullpen, and he isn't even arbitration eligible until 2020, so he's super cheap. Diaz (#90 overall) is our second-best OF prospect, behind Verdugo, and would give the Pirates a 3rd top-100 prospect in this deal; Lux, if they prefer him, is a 19-year-old SS prospect who would give them a potential future double play combo, along with Calhoun. So this would be giving up our MLB CF, a MLB lefty bullpen piece (Dayton is expected to be activated from the DL this weekend), our top pitching prospect, our top infield prospect, and another solid position player prospect (either just inside or just outside the top-100 overall).

This is what a team going for it can and, perhaps should, do. McCutchen is an upgrade over Joc and also doesn't hurt the idea of not adding money after 2018 (when Harper is a free agent and when Kershaw can opt-out). And while losing those prospects would hurt, we would have an absolutely lethal bullpen for the entirety of Jansen's contract, health permitting. We'd lose Alvarez, but still have Buehler. We'd still have Verdugo. And Calhoun is blocked right now. Is this enough to get the Pirates to bite?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Nationals among teams in mix for #Tigers' J. Wilson. Won't move Robles, Fedde, Soto. #RedSox, #Dodgers, #Astros, others also in.

h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

What a tremendous year for Dodger blue.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Mark Feinsand‏
Verified account
 @Feinsand 4m
4 minutes ago

More
Source: Dodgers are "looking hard" at the lefty reliever market. Justin Wilson, Zach Britton, Brad Hand all on their radar.

Zach Britton would be sick.

If completely healthy, yes. But I worry about that. I wonder why the O's would be so eager to trade him, since he still has 2 years of team control left and they aren't having a complete fire sale (they aren't going to move Machado even though he, too, has 2 years of team control left, for example). He's been on the DL twice with forearm issues. That's a major concern. And he is going to cost at least one of our top prospects. Personally, I'd rather go for Justin Wilson, who also has 2 years of team control left, likely won't cost as much in terms of prospects, and who won't cost as much in arbitration next season as Britton. But man, if I knew Britton were healthy, that would be a devastating combination with Jansen.

Here's something I've been thinking, and this is really aiming high: I wonder if the Pirates would even be willing to listen on Felipe Rivero. A young lefty reliever who throws 100? Who can't be a free agent until 2022? Who has a 0.71 ERA and a 0.71 WHIP? I realize that the price would be astronomical, but...that's the type of dude I'd be willing to give up a ton for. What about something like Yadier Alvarez, Willie Calhoun, Joc Pederson, Grant Dayton, and their choice of Yusniel Diaz or Gavin Lux for McCutchen and Rivero? McCutchen has been hitting like the MVP version of himself since mid-May, and in looking at his defensive work in CF, it's equal to, or slightly better than, Joc's defensive ratings, depending on which metric you prefer. (Slightly negative value in CF for both.) McCutchen would also solve the problem of having to bench our centerfielder vs. lefties, and he could bat fifth in the lineup, right after Bellinger. The Pirates would get Joc to replace Cutch in their major league lineup, and would have one further year of team control on him than they do McCutchen, and at a cheaper salary. And in return for them giving up Rivero, they get a haul. Alvarez is our #1 pitching prospect, is ranked #39 overall on mlb.com, and his fastball can reach 100, like Rivero. Calhoun (#69 overall) is already MLB-ready with the bat, and with Harrison capable of playing third base also, he could be their starter at the keystone next season. (Harrison could also be a trade candidate, himself.) Dayton gives them back a left-handed major league option in their bullpen, and he isn't even arbitration eligible until 2020, so he's super cheap. Diaz (#90 overall) is our second-best OF prospect, behind Verdugo, and would give the Pirates a 3rd top-100 prospect in this deal; Lux, if they prefer him, is a 19-year-old SS prospect who would give them a potential future double play combo, along with Calhoun. So this would be giving up our MLB CF, a MLB lefty bullpen piece (Dayton is expected to be activated from the DL this weekend), our top pitching prospect, our top infield prospect, and another solid position player prospect (either just inside or just outside the top-100 overall).

This is what a team going for it can and, perhaps should, do. McCutchen is an upgrade over Joc and also doesn't hurt the idea of not adding money after 2018 (when Harper is a free agent and when Kershaw can opt-out). And while losing those prospects would hurt, we would have an absolutely lethal bullpen for the entirety of Jansen's contract, health permitting. We'd lose Alvarez, but still have Buehler. We'd still have Verdugo. And Calhoun is blocked right now. Is this enough to get the Pirates to bite?

My guess is that they'd demand Buehler in that package rather than Verdugo, and Buehler is the one prospect that I wouldn't want the Dodgers to surrender. If a starting pitcher goes down in August, there's no Urias.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I'd swap out Dayton with Avilan. That's a pretty good deal for both teams. Dodgers would be giving up a lot of their prospect capital though. If they can swap out Sheffield for Alvarez as well, that'd be great.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

Heck... make it an enormous blockbuster and get McCutcheon, Romero, and Cole.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Pablo Sandoval returning to the giants. I guess you can go home again.

If Trayce starts raking, would that mean that Verdugo won't see much when he gets the September call-up? Assuming he doesn't get traded... which I hope he doesn't.

The Red Sox bit the bullet and DFA'd him. So there is no risk there. Unless you are his belt.

srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Heck... make it an enormous blockbuster and get McCutcheon, Romero, and Cole.

That would be beastly, but would probably cost about our whole farm
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

In regard to my Pirates idea, they just swept the Brew Crew and are now only 3 games back in the division. They may not even sell at all. Fiddlesticks!
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
In regard to my Pirates idea, they just swept the Brew Crew and are now only 3 games back in the division. They may not even sell at all. Fiddlesticks!

That hasn't stopped teams before. I remember many years ago the Chicago White Sox were just a few games behind the division leader and decided to cut bait and trade players at the deadline, believing that they couldn't compete for the division title. Ultimately it worked out since they won a World Series title, but my Chicago friends and I were all baffled as to why they gave up... Then again, it's Reinsdorf.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

If the price is right I don't think it would matter. Problem is we aren't (and probably shouldn't be) willing to pay that price.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Romo was DFA'd today. Good riddance.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

If the price is right I don't think it would matter. Problem is we aren't (and probably shouldn't be) willing to pay that price.

For team control of Rivero through 2022, I would give up a ton. And he'd be cheap until 2021, dirt cheap until 2020. And there would be value in getting McCutchen for the next 2 years instead of Joc. I'm not saying that Joc doesn't have value, because he does, but McCutchen has been an MVP and he's been playing like it for a while again. If we could make such a deal while keeping Buehler and Verdugo, I'd do it. But I think the Pirates are probably going to stand pat now, if not actually buy.

And I think the White Sox were 5 games out at the time they sold, not 3. Of course, there is still time for the Pirates to go on a losing streak in the next 10-11 days.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Here is a cool stat:

The Dodgers' current 11-game winning streak matches one they had back in 2006.

The last time the franchise had two double-figure streaks in the same season was back in 1955, and that team won the World Series that year...!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Britton with another bad outing tonight. Looks off. I just can't trust it with the forearm issues. I have to wonder if they know he's hurt and that's why they are OK with trading him. He had a 0.54 ERA last season and was as dominant as a reliever ever has been. If they were just having a total fire sale, why not trade Machado, too? They both have 2 years of team control left (through 2018). Methinks they want to get anything they can for him, because they know he's injured.

I hope we stay away from the allure of his performance over the past couple of seasons. Go for someone healthy. Go for Wilson, or offer a boatload for Rivero and see if the Pirates bite.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
Romo was DFA'd today. Good riddance.

Cheap no risk signing. Clearly hasn't been 100%. When no one picks him up, I'd think he'd be worth stashing in the minors because he's more of a late season streaky guy.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Team got into LA at 3:30am this morning.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

McCarthy sucks.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Jon Heyman writes in his latest piece that Darvish's camp is going to try for something like Strasburg's 7-year, $175MM deal, and the Rangers won't want to pay that and aren't likely to re-sign him. Since I don't want to give up more than 1 top-100 prospect for Britton (don't trust his health) and since I doubt that Rivero would actually be made available by the Pirates, perhaps a trade deadline where we came away with Wilson (probably 1 top-100 prospect would have to go) and Darvish (another top-100 prospect likely outgoing) would be a good result. I have a feeling that Darvish could dominate in the National League, and as a rental, he won't be crazy-costly.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

The Braves are a potent offensive team. Guess we gotta manufacture another comeback to keep this streak going.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
McCarthy sucks.

The good news. He's finally healthy.
The bad news. He sucks.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject:

Iglesias from the Reds might be more attainable than Rivero, if we are thinking about a younger, really good reliever, just because Iglesias is both on a team that isn't contending, and has 1 less year of team control left (he can't be a free agent until 2021).

He would cost a lot too, though.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

First inning Wood is getting hammered just like McCarthy yesterday.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
First inning Wood is getting hammered just like McCarthy yesterday.

Rough day for aces. Scherzer just got touched for 5 in the first inning against the DBacks.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

@Buster_ESPN
Quote:
The Dodgers are exploring possible deal for the Mets' Addison Reed.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 55 of 342
Jump to: