MojoRisin wrote:
Joc finally breaks his slump.

Right in my eye. LOL. Way to go, Joc!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

#PuigYourFriend!

This is the best Puig has looked since his rookie season. So much more comfortable at the plate, just seems like he's settling into knowing who he is as a player. And he's still at the age where his prime is coming. Maybe, just maybe, the Dodgers will be rewarded for holding onto him.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

#PuigYourFriend!

This is the best Puig has looked since his rookie season. So much more comfortable at the plate, just seems like he's settling into knowing who he is as a player. And he's still at the age where his prime is coming. Maybe, just maybe, the Dodgers will be rewarded for holding onto him.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

MojoRisin wrote:
Joc finally breaks his slump.

It's about damn time.

Another clutch hit for Puig too.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

When the team is so good even almost losing 2 games in a row really sucks.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

You guys are way too hard on Joc. We can't have a top-5 guy in MLB at every position. We'll have to settle for top 10-15 at CF. He's been ungodly unlucky with his BABIP too (56 out of 58 with min 100 PA). He'll bounce back.

Seriously, go look at CF. Outside of like 5 guys it falls off really fast.

He does need to pick up his D though. No excuse for that. He's having a down year there.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
You guys are way too hard on Joc. We can't have a top-5 guy in MLB at every position. We'll have to settle for top 10-15 at CF. He's been ungodly unlucky with his BABIP too (56 out of 58 with min 100 PA). He'll bounce back.

He does need to pick up his D though. No excuse for that. He's having a down year there.

I agree. I just want his defense to get back to where it should be. He has made some solid plays there, but it sure feels like he can do better. Glad to see Alex Wood's adjustments pay off right away.

Walker Buehler will be called up some time in the near future as he's working out of the bullpen right now. Front office did a great job not giving up any of their top 5* prospects.

* includes Urias even though he's out for the season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

His WAR is -0.1 on Baseball Reference, and 0.7 on Fangraphs. So he's basically been a replacement-level player this season, and the defense is a huge reason for that. (He's been a little above-average with the bat at his position.) So yes, he's not terrible, but he's also barely been starter-worthy. That's why I wanted a clear upgrade in McCutchen, because you can never be too good. But yes, it's not like he's a bad player. And he did have that gigantic HR off Scherzer last year in Game 5 of the NLDS to tie the game. But with him having 2 years left before he hits free agency, I wouldn't be shocked if they explored options for moving him this winter. I think Puig can play CF (if they didn't pick up another center fielder), although he, too, has 2 years left before reaching free agency.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

His WAR is -0.1 on Baseball Reference, and 0.7 on Fangraphs. So he's basically been a replacement-level player this season, and the defense is a huge reason for that. (He's been a little above-average with the bat at his position.) So yes, he's not terrible, but he's also barely been starter-worthy. That's why I wanted a clear upgrade in McCutchen, because you can never be too good. But yes, it's not like he's a bad player. And he did have that gigantic HR off Scherzer last year in Game 5 of the NLDS to tie the game. But with him having 2 years left before he hits free agency, I wouldn't be shocked if they explored options for moving him this winter. I think Puig can play CF (if they didn't pick up another center fielder), although he, too, has 2 years left before reaching free agency.

Cutch has been like top 4-5 this year so of course it would have been awesome if we'd been able to get him. Plus he's an all-around awesome dude.

Maybe this off-season the team can explore talks around him again. He has one more year until free agency and the Pirates won't want to lose him for nothing.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
#PuigYourFriend!

I think he's been better to be honest. He's showing disclipine in all facets of the game and he's been clutch as (bleep) to boot (to be fair this entire lineup is CLUTCH!).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I agree. I just want his defense to get back to where it should be. He has made some solid plays there, but it sure feels like he can do better. Glad to see Alex Wood's adjustments pay off right away.

Walker Buehler will be called up some time in the near future as he's working out of the bullpen right now. Front office did a great job not giving up any of their top 5* prospects.

Imagine if a certain poster got his way and we gave up a guy like Bellinger for a David Price rental. Makes me ill even giving it thought.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Imagine if a certain poster got his way and we gave up a guy like Bellinger for a David Price rental. Makes me ill even giving it thought.

Remember, the Twins refused to trade Dozier to us unless we gave up Bellinger. We refused. Of course, Dozier is in the midst of his annual "let's murder baseballs after the All-Star break" tour, but it still wouldn't have been a trade worth making, obviously.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Urias feeling 'really good' after shoulder surgery

PHOENIX -- One of the reasons the Dodgers traded for starting pitcher Yu Darvish last week walked into the clubhouse at Chase Field on Wednesday.

Julio Urias came by to see the team he can't help in October, speaking with the media for the first time about his season-ending anterior shoulder capsule surgery.

"It was hard. No baseball player wants to have a surgery like that," said Urias, who underwent the reconstructive surgery June 27, with an estimated return time of 12 to 14 months. "I had a lot of emotions. You feel sadness, you feel angry, everything goes through your head. You think about your career and everything you've done to get to that point. I tried to get out of that stage as quickly as I could and now I feel motivated to work every day."

Urias said Dr. Neal ElAttrache told him the damage was minimal. He said there's no timetable on his return -- "When God wants to and when I'm ready" -- but he's confident he will be at least as good as before the surgery, when he was ranked by MLBPipeline.com as the No. 4 prospect in MLB coming into the season.

http://m.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article/247491024/dodgers-julio-urias-feels-good-after-surgery/
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
srm90 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
This is sick. Kersh/Darvish/Wood/Hill? Maeda/Ryu can now be on spot duty? Wow...

Yes, Maeda/Ryu become the long relievers now. A definite upgrade over Stripling. That better suits both of them. Maybe even move Maeda to the pen right now so he doesn't burnout like last year.

I feel confident about every one of our starters in a 7 game series now. Maeda, Ryu, or MacCarthy in a Game 4 would've been rough. Maeda and Ryu both have been shelled in the postseason and McCarthy doesn't instill much confidence.

Kersh and Darvish should be able to give us 6/7 innings. We should be able to get at least 5 out of Wood and Hill. Maeda and Ryu can come in and give us a couple innings if Wood or Hill struggle.

Kershaw isn't alone in the postseason this time, that's for sure. No reason for him to go into a super deep pitch count that has been the downfall of him in October.

Actually, Ryu has by far the best post-season numbers of all the Dodgers' starters. His only issue has been the slow recovery after surgery and setbacks. Postseason record won't be the reason he doesn't start.

Ryu takes a lot of heat here but but in his last 5 starts he's hasn't given up more than 2 runs. That goes back to the middle of June. When he had 2 outings with 4 runs allowed. Before that 2 or less runs. That to me is a quality start.

After today's start (Sunday, Mets), I'd have to say frankly that I trust Hyun-Jin more than I trust Hill, but that's just me, and that's in spite of Hill's Pitcher O' The Month. Hill, Ryu, and Maeda have all been hitting a groove, but Hill's last start was "meh".

I think there's still time for some jockeying among the Dodgers top six starters to see who might start. Obviously, the top two are locked in. I think Wood is probably safe to start, but whether he's a Game 3 starter or Game 4 might be in play. I think Hill is #4 right now, but I don't think his name is written in ink given the way Maeda and Ryu are pitching.

I actually trust Hill more than Wood at this exact moment in time. I'm worried that Wood has hit a wall and might even be dealing with a bit of an injury. It always alarms me when a guy loses 2-3 MPH off his fastball and they just say "he's fatigued." Maybe that's all it is, but it still worries me. It actually impressed me that Hill gave up those 3 HR's in the 1st inning, and then went back out there and kept the team in the game for the next 4 innings after that, even with a high pitch count. His stuff looks good. His curveball is one of the hardest pitches in baseball to hit.

But "He's fatigued" should raise red flags. Fatigue can alter mechanics, as the pitcher overcompensates for the loss of velocity. That's a common precursor to injury. It might be best to let Wood and possibly Hill skip a start, and perhaps scale back the pitch count a bit.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
srm90 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
This is sick. Kersh/Darvish/Wood/Hill? Maeda/Ryu can now be on spot duty? Wow...

Yes, Maeda/Ryu become the long relievers now. A definite upgrade over Stripling. That better suits both of them. Maybe even move Maeda to the pen right now so he doesn't burnout like last year.

I feel confident about every one of our starters in a 7 game series now. Maeda, Ryu, or MacCarthy in a Game 4 would've been rough. Maeda and Ryu both have been shelled in the postseason and McCarthy doesn't instill much confidence.

Kersh and Darvish should be able to give us 6/7 innings. We should be able to get at least 5 out of Wood and Hill. Maeda and Ryu can come in and give us a couple innings if Wood or Hill struggle.

Kershaw isn't alone in the postseason this time, that's for sure. No reason for him to go into a super deep pitch count that has been the downfall of him in October.

Actually, Ryu has by far the best post-season numbers of all the Dodgers' starters. His only issue has been the slow recovery after surgery and setbacks. Postseason record won't be the reason he doesn't start.

Ryu takes a lot of heat here but but in his last 5 starts he's hasn't given up more than 2 runs. That goes back to the middle of June. When he had 2 outings with 4 runs allowed. Before that 2 or less runs. That to me is a quality start.

After today's start (Sunday, Mets), I'd have to say frankly that I trust Hyun-Jin more than I trust Hill, but that's just me, and that's in spite of Hill's Pitcher O' The Month. Hill, Ryu, and Maeda have all been hitting a groove, but Hill's last start was "meh".

I think there's still time for some jockeying among the Dodgers top six starters to see who might start. Obviously, the top two are locked in. I think Wood is probably safe to start, but whether he's a Game 3 starter or Game 4 might be in play. I think Hill is #4 right now, but I don't think his name is written in ink given the way Maeda and Ryu are pitching.

I actually trust Hill more than Wood at this exact moment in time. I'm worried that Wood has hit a wall and might even be dealing with a bit of an injury. It always alarms me when a guy loses 2-3 MPH off his fastball and they just say "he's fatigued." Maybe that's all it is, but it still worries me. It actually impressed me that Hill gave up those 3 HR's in the 1st inning, and then went back out there and kept the team in the game for the next 4 innings after that, even with a high pitch count. His stuff looks good. His curveball is one of the hardest pitches in baseball to hit.

But "He's fatigued" should raise red flags. Fatigue can alter mechanics, as the pitcher overcompensates for the loss of velocity. That's a common precursor to injury. It might be best to let Wood and possibly Hill skip a start, and perhaps scale back the pitch count a bit.

We could also go a 6 man rotation for the rest of the regular season.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
srm90 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

We could also go a 6 man rotation for the rest of the regular season.

Roberts definitely has a lot of options with this ridiculous depth we have.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Apparently Wood was sitting at 92-94 with his fastball for the first few innings last night, although his velocity did dip back down in his final couple of innings.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Remember, the Twins refused to trade Dozier to us unless we gave up Bellinger. We refused. Of course, Dozier is in the midst of his annual "let's murder baseballs after the All-Star break" tour, but it still wouldn't have been a trade worth making, obviously.

Dumbass who's thankfully no longer on this site wrote:
Not trading Urias and Bellinger for Cole Hamels or David Price. SMH.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Who was that?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Who was that?

He's named after one of the worst sequels known to mankind.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles Dodgers @Dodgers
Tonight’s Dodger lineup at D-backs:
Taylor LF
Seager SS
Turner 3B
Bellinger 1B
Forsythe 2B
Hernández RF
Barnes C
Pederson CF
Darvish P

Guess a game winning knock get you benched the next game (Wild Horse).
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles Dodgers @Dodgers
Tonight’s Dodger lineup at D-backs:
Taylor LF
Seager SS
Turner 3B
Bellinger 1B
Forsythe 2B
Hernández RF
Barnes C
Pederson CF
Darvish P

Guess a game winning knock get you benched the next game (Wild Horse).

They're resting Puig since he has some hamstring soreness. Probably from that amazing catch in game 1.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Taylor has been such a pleasant surprise this year. Wow!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Taylor has been such a pleasant surprise this year. Wow!

Hopefully he keeps it up,...Basically Turner 2.0. Throw in guy that turned the corner and became an all-star.
MojoRisin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

nice 7 pitch 3 out inning for Jansen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 71 of 342
Jump to: