2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

^ I disagree, I think that could be what messes up the rhythm they're in. Keep the train going IMO. Just be conservative with pitch counts.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

Honestly, I think we're deep enough to keep the wins coming even if we were to rest our stars a significant amount of time.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

I guess it all depends on opinion and risk/reward. I dont like risking players going cold by resting them. But the flip side is you may be risking having fatigued players come October.

Is there any stats on what is actively proven more effective? I know in NFL it seems like almost always a team resting and get a 1 round bye always comes back rusty.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Dodgers will probably have to tinker with the fifth spot in the lineup and give Bellinger some protection. I think the fifth spot has been a black hole at an average of around .200 regardless of the hitter.

As for the Hatcher trade, I wonder if they got the international slot for a possible Otani offer. Unfortunately they're gonna need a lot more slots to give him the kind of offer he can get elsewhere.

If I'm not mistaken, the offers for Otani, under the new collective bargaining agreement concerning players from Japan, are basically capped now. I don't think he can make more than $7MM annually, or something like that. Before, it was just whomever posted the highest bid got the player. But now, basically every team can get him. It's going to come down to where he wants to go.

This is what I could find:

The new rule gives teams a $5 million budget to spend on international free agents every year. That rule, however, doesn’t apply if the player is 25 or older. Because of that, Otani, who is 22, would be limited to a contract around $10 million if he comes over before 2019, when he would be 25. Teams are eligible to trade for international cap salary, which is how Otani could receive around $10 million.

And that's my point. Teams can't just throw whatever money they want around to get the best international players, hence the trading for slot money. Dodgers are way behind in that regard if they actually are thinking of a push for Otani this offseason since the Yankees got $1.5 million in slot money in the Sonny Gray trade and a minor trade with Baltimore for their slot money. Of course, this is assuming the teams blow all their slot money on one guy, which Otani may well be worth doing.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I guess it all depends on opinion and risk/reward. I dont like risking players going cold by resting them. But the flip side is you may be risking having fatigued players come October.

Is there any stats on what is actively proven more effective? I know in NFL it seems like almost always a team resting and get a 1 round bye always comes back rusty.

It's gotta be a balance. Rest a guy every once in a while like Bellinger the other day. For the starters, don't tax them by pithcing them deep into games, keep the pitch counts low. Wood could've easily gone for a complete game against the White Sox but we took him out with 79 pitches after 7.

Once the September call-ups happen, start guys like Verdugo for a little while and give them some run. Mix and match bullpen arms and see who gets hot.

We have the luxury of a huge division lead, so we don't need to push our guys, like when we had Kershaw go 130+ pitches a couple years ago to keep the division away from the Giants late in the season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

It's gotta be a balance. Rest a guy every once in a while like Bellinger the other day. For the starters, don't tax them by pithcing them deep into games, keep the pitch counts low. Wood could've easily gone for a complete game against the White Sox but we took him out with 79 pitches after 7.

Once the September call-ups happen, start guys like Verdugo for a little while and give them some run. Mix and match bullpen arms and see who gets hot.

We have the luxury of a huge division lead, so we don't need to push our guys, like when we had Kershaw go 130+ pitches a couple years ago to keep the division away from the Giants late in the season.

I completely agree. I was misunderstanding, thinking "resting" meant guys taking basically multiple games off like the Spurs do when they're locked into a seed or NFL teams will play like 1 quarter before emptying the benches. With that it worries me about rust. But the occasional game off is definitely beneficial.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
srm90 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I completely agree. I was misunderstanding, thinking "resting" meant guys taking basically multiple games off like the Spurs do when they're locked into a seed or NFL teams will play like 1 quarter before emptying the benches. With that it worries me about rust. But the occasional game off is definitely beneficial.

We're so deep that we'd be able to rest 1-2 different starters every game without compromising wins. That way, every starter can sit every 5-6 games without the fear of losing their rhythm.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Gonzalez doubled in his first AB. Man, if he can regain some of his old form offensively, this lineup could be so much scarier.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

We've hit a billion doubles this game. Jus tkeep pouring it on.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
We've hit a billion doubles this game. Jus tkeep pouring it on.

Zimmermann throwing hanging sliders all day.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Regarding Otani...

Andy McCullough‏
Verified account
 @McCulloughTimes 4h
4 hours ago

More
The Dodgers sent scouting contingent to Japan to see Shohei Otani, Sports Nippon reported. Group included Andrew Friedman, Orel Hershiser.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Not sure that I liked using Jansen with a 4-run lead entering the 9th, but it's another win for the Boys In Blue.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Not sure that I liked using Jansen with a 4-run lead entering the 9th, but it's another win for the Boys In Blue.

He hadn't pitched since Sunday, so I think it was a good idea to keep him in rhythm.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

He hadn't pitched since Sunday, so I think it was a good idea to keep him in rhythm.

were the hell is the like button?
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

MojoRisin wrote:
srm90 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

were the hell is the like button?

( )
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

The Grandy Man is about to be a Dodger...

Anthony DiComo‏
Verified account

@AnthonyDiComo
Follow

More
BREAKING: The Mets have a deal in place to send Curtis Granderson to the Dodgers. Not official yet.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

^^
And he's been swinging really well for quite a while now. Great professional. Really respected. Wonder if he could start to take AB's away from Joc.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Granderson: .856 OPS vs. righties (significantly higher since May 1), .703 vs. lefties. Joc: .782 and .581, respectively. Also, Joc defensive WAR is -1.0 and Grandy's is -0.1.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Absolute steal by this team.

Quote:
Granderson's post-April numbers stack up extremely well among all of baseball, too. Since May 1, there have been 147 players to step to the plate as often as Granderson has (294 times). We'll use an advanced stat called wRC+ to show offensive production; it's useful because it sets 100 as "league average," and because it's park-adjusted, which allows you to compare players who call Citi Field home with those who slug in Coors Field.

You won't be surprised by the names at the top of the list. You might be surprised to see how high Granderson is.

Top hitters since May 1 (minimum 294 plate appearances), by wRC+

176 -- Jose Altuve / Joey Votto
169 -- George Springer
166 -- Marwin Gonzalez
164 -- Giancarlo Stanton
162 -- Aaron Judge
159 -- Paul Goldschmidt / Justin Smoak
157 -- Anthony Rendon
153 -- JD Martinez
148 -- Granderson / Kris Bryant / Eric Hosmer / Cody Bellinger

There's Granderson, tied over the past 3 1/2 months with last year's NL Most Valuable Player Award winner, a World Series champ finally tapping into his power, and the clear front-runner for the 2017 NL Rookie of the Year Award. He's ahead of Corey Seager and Daniel Murphy; he's ahead of Anthony Rizzo and Mike Moustakas.

http://m.mets.mlb.com/news/article/248573630/curtis-granderson-could-help-contenders-win/

Quote:

Bill Shaikin‏Verified account
@BillShaikin
Follow
More
Playoff prep: Curtis Granderson's OPS vs. Jake Arrieta 1.070, vs. Max Scherzer .920, vs. Tanner Roark .933. #Dodgers
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Old man Grandyman is a nice stop gap until Verdugo is ready and I believe can make the Postseason roster in place of Joc.

Against​ RHP...

Taylor - 2B
Seager - SS
Turner - 3B
Bellinger - LF
Granderson - CF
Puig -RF
Gonzalez - 1B
Grandal - C

WHO YA GONNA PITCH AROUND NOW???

Against Lefties....

Taylor - LF
Seager - SS
Turner - 3B
Bellinger - 1B
Hernandez CF
Barnes - C
Puig - RF
Forsythe - 2B
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Old man Grandyman is a nice stop gap until Verdugo is ready and I believe can make the Postseason roster in place of Joc.

Against​ RHP...

Taylor - 2B
Seager - SS
Turner - 3B
Bellinger - LF
Granderson - CF
Gonzalez - 1B
Puig - RF
Grandal - C

That's possible. I think it's also possible that Forsythe keeps his spot over A-Gone, with Granderson starting. As little power as Forsythe has shown, he's getting on base a ton, and his second base defense is better than anyone else we could play there.

Bottom line, we just brought in another quality player and person, and I do see him ahead of Joc in the pecking order, at least as it stands right now.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:

Against​ RHP...

Taylor - 2B
Seager - SS
Turner - 3B
Bellinger - LF
Granderson - CF
Puig -RF
Gonzalez - 1B
Grandal - C

Against Lefties....

Taylor - LF
Seager - SS
Turner - 3B
Bellinger - 1B
Hernandez CF
Barnes - C
Puig - RF
Forsythe - 2B

Those lineups are absolutely disgusting
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

Against​ RHP...

Taylor - 2B
Seager - SS
Turner - 3B
Bellinger - LF
Granderson - CF
Gonzalez - 1B
Puig - RF
Grandal - C

That's possible. I think it's also possible that Forsythe keeps his spot over A-Gone, with Granderson starting. As little power as Forsythe has shown, he's getting on base a ton, and his second base defense is better than anyone else we could play there.

Bottom line, we just brought in another quality player and person, and I do see him ahead of Joc in the pecking order, at least as it stands right now.

Yes, Forsythe and Grandal may still have value if they just work the counts and extend the opposing pitchers while the Big Boys lick their chops against an exhausting pitcher. Unlike Joc they both are still respected defensively but just crazy to try to contemplate the depth and variations Doc Roberts now has.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

Against​ RHP...

Taylor - 2B
Seager - SS
Turner - 3B
Bellinger - LF
Granderson - CF
Puig -RF
Gonzalez - 1B
Grandal - C

Against Lefties....

Taylor - LF
Seager - SS
Turner - 3B
Bellinger - 1B
Hernandez CF
Barnes - C
Puig - RF
Forsythe - 2B

Those lineups are absolutely disgusting

That lineup is dangerous as (bleep). Not a single batter that gives a pitcher a chance to breath. Filthy.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Personally, if the Dodgers wrap up home field advantage early it's okay to step on the brakes and bypass any chance at 117 wins, this team has suffered enough injuries, play the kids the final week.

The same factors that make it unusual for even the best baseball teams to win much more than .600 of their games will make it unnecessary to fully bypass their chances at 116/117. The starting pitchers may get an extra day between starts, or maybe just go to stricter pitch counts while the franchise gets a look at relievers that are on the playoff roster bubble. The position players will get more days off, but will still be available to pinch hit. You do want to keep guys sharp, after all, even in the field.

My point is that, even with these measures, I would be surprised (knock on wood) at a major dropoff by the team. I expect they'll still be competitive almost every night, especially with the team continuing to add veterans who will be auditioning for the playoff roster. (Granderson/Gonzalez/Ethier?/Etc)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 76 of 342
Jump to: