2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject:

A little tidbit on Chase Utley.

As if we (Dodger fans) and of course Philly fans didn't already like and respect the man enough:

Quote:
Chase Utley is a different breed. He’s the kind of player your dad always wanted you to emulate as a little kid, always hustling and always aware of every situation on the field.

But the former Phillies second baseman takes that mindset to a whole new level. It’s why he was able to make one of the greatest baseball plays I’ve ever seen live. It’s why he’ll have a role on a team long after his physical tools fail him. And it’s why, even though he’s been there for just a season and a half, the Dodgers signed the 38-year-old to a one-year, $2 million deal over the weekend.

MORE PHILLIES COVERAGE
Photos: Day One of Phillies camp
MacPhail sticking to script – but eager for next step, too – as Phillies' rebuild marches on
Spring has sprung: Another Phillies Opening Day roster projection
According to Peter Gammons, one of the big reasons Utley is back in Dodger Blue is the respect he has among his teammates in the clubhouse.

[Dodgers GM Farhan] Zaidi and [president of baseball operations Andrew] Friedman stayed in constant contact with Utley because, they too, hold the 38 year old in the highest personal and professional esteem. They heard from Corey Seager. They heard from Justin Turner. From Clayton Kershaw and Rich Hill. They heard from Dave Roberts and all his coaches; Tim Hyers told one of his former Red Sox co-workers “Utley is the most unbelievable guy I’ve ever met in baseball.”

Not that that’s unusual. Charlie Manuel once said “I played with great players and men like Harmon Killebrew and Tony Oliva, I coached incredible people like Jim Thome, but in all my years in baseball the person I most respect is Chase Utley.” [gammonsdaily.com]

For Phillies fans, that probably seems like old news. At the very least, it’s not a surprise that Los Angeles found out what we’ve known for the last decade-plus: Chase Utley is the man.

But Gammons’ story also includes the following two gems about Utley.

First, there’s the time he essentially tricked an opposing pitcher into putting him on base for free. Well, supposedly he was trying to teach a lesson to his younger teammates. But would you really put it past the ultra-competitive infielder to use that as an excuse to earn a free pass?

Coaches tell the story of a game in which the Dodgers had a big lead in the top of the eighth inning when one younger, enthusiastic teammate stole second base, which ticked off the opposition. When Utley got to the plate in the ninth, he told the opposing catcher to have the pitcher drill him. Then his teammate would understand there are consequences for showing up the opposition. [gammonsdaily.com]

In case you're wondering, Utley holds the Phillies record for number of times being hit by a pitch at 173, nearly twice the number of second place (Mike Lieberthal, 88).

Last year, Utley was hit 11 times in 565 plate appearances. And since he made his debut in 2003, no one in baseball has been hit as many times as Utley (190). The next closest during that span is Reed Johnson at 134.

And then there’s the one about Utley pretending to be a batboy in order to have a discreet conversation with the home plate umpire — and potentially avoid an ejection for catcher A.J. Ellis, who was later traded to the Phillies.

Then there was a game last year in which Kershaw wasn’t getting strikes he thought he’d thrown. When the Dodgers got back to the dugout, A.J. Ellis was hollering at the home plate umpire. Utley warned Ellis not to get ejected. Chase grabbed a batboy’s skull cap,a jacket, got a towel and rounded up a bunch of fresh baseballs and went out to give the umpires the balls, which is the batboy’s job. When the umpire asked him what he was doing, Utley told him he was not going to embarrass the ump, that no one would notice he was out there, but Kershaw had to have some of those pitches. Having spoken his peace, Utley ran back to the dugout like just another clubbie batboy. [gammonsdaily.com]

Like I said, a different breed.

LINK
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

That's the type of stuff that doesn't show in the stat lines and will help this team get over the hump.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Romo with his jersey for the first time: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQjgkefDH3x/

Dude couldn't be happier to finally be a Dodger and away from the Giants
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Can someone briefly explain to me why the Giants let Romo walk? I always thought he was a good pitcher for them, and wasn't their bullpen terrible last year costing them numerous games?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
Can someone briefly explain to me why the Giants let Romo walk? I always thought he was a good pitcher for them, and wasn't their bullpen terrible last year costing them numerous games?

He did have an injured flexor tendon for a significant part of the season, and his fastball velocity dipped to about 85 MPH last season. Maybe they just don't think he's a strong bet to stay healthy/effective, although for the contract he signed, the Dodgers are taking on very little risk.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Romo with his jersey for the first time: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQjgkefDH3x/

Dude couldn't be happier to finally be a Dodger and away from the Giants

He grew up a Dodger fan. Just happened to be signed by the Gnats. Hopefully a hometown return brings him back to his dominant WS form.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:

Injury and likely price. Romo was actually the one pitcher who wasn't blowing games late in the season.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

The Dodgers sold Darin Ruf to a KBO team (Korean league). That takes one player out of the running for a roster spot. The depth the Dodgers have right now is just insane. The Cuban infielder, Jose Miguel Fernandez, also officially is signed. We should be able to stash him in the minors if he doesn't make the team out of Spring Training.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
The Dodgers sold Darin Ruf to a KBO team (Korean league). That takes one player out of the running for a roster spot. The depth the Dodgers have right now is just insane. The Cuban infielder, Jose Miguel Fernandez, also officially is signed. We should be able to stash him in the minors if he doesn't make the team out of Spring Training.

I'm just hoping A-Gone has a David Ortiz renaissance because his power has been waning.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I'm just hoping A-Gone has a David Ortiz renaissance because his power has been waning.

He's in decline, but I still feel good about him coming up to the plate in a big situation. I just do. Can even hit lefties. Look at that AB off Chapman in the NLCS where he drove in the tying run in that comeback in Game 1, even if we ended up losing. Now, if he ends up fading fast, perhaps Bellinger will become an option, but I really think A-Gone has quite a bit left.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

He's in decline, but I still feel good about him coming up to the plate in a big situation. I just do. Can even hit lefties. Look at that AB off Chapman in the NLCS where he drove in the tying run in that comeback in Game 1, even if we ended up losing. Now, if he ends up fading fast, perhaps Bellinger will become an option, but I really think A-Gone has quite a bit left.

Isn't Ruf an outfielder though? Looks like he's going to play for the Samsung Lions this coming season. Speaking of declining first basemen, Seung-Yeop Lee is still playing at the ripe old age of 40. Makes A-gon look like a spring chicken.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Isn't Ruf an outfielder though? Looks like he's going to play for the Samsung Lions this coming season. Speaking of declining first basemen, Seung-Yeop Lee is still playing at the ripe old age of 40. Makes A-gon look like a spring chicken.

He plays 1B as well.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Since it seems like all the Angels fans scattered into the abyss after the mediocre showings these past couple of seasons, it seems like they will be staying in Anaheim until 2029 it was revealed today.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Since it seems like all the Angels fans scattered into the abyss after the mediocre showings these past couple of seasons, it seems like they will be staying in Anaheim until 2029 it was revealed today.

Angels have had top 5-7 attendance for well over a decade including the awful years. As a Dodgers' fan living for 25+ years in various parts of the OC, their fanbase is most definitely legit.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Angels have had top 5-7 attendance for well over a decade including the awful years. As a Dodgers' fan living for 25+ years in various parts of the OC, their fanbase is most definitely legit.

While we're spending the prime years of Kershaw chasing after ex-A's/Ray's/NL&AL East retreads, they've been wasting the prime years of Mike Trout with 0 pitching help and an overpriced Albert Pujols.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

While we're spending the prime years of Kershaw chasing after ex-A's/Ray's/NL&AL East retreads, they've been wasting the prime years of Mike Trout with 0 pitching help and an overpriced Albert Pujols.

If the Dodgers could somehow land Trout, it'd make the Lakers' misery bearable. A guy can dream...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

If the Dodgers could somehow land Trout, it'd make the Lakers' misery bearable. A guy can dream...

First off, as someone who lives 300 yards from the Angel Stadium parking lot, this is awesome news. I can still walk to games whenever I feel like it.

Secondly, yes, they have a good fanbase, although it's certainly nothing like the Dodgers.

As for Trout, if the Angels had another miserable season, perhaps they might actually consider it during next offseason, though I doubt that. If they did, any negotiations would start with either Seager or Urias, and then basically all of our top prospects.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I'd say the reason why they haven't surrounded him with any more talent is that their farm system is a bust. The day they trade Mike Trout they might as well move the Angels away from Anaheim.....
If the Angels trade away Mike Trout it will be a bigger disaster for the organization than the Dodgers trading away Mike Piazza and Pedro Martinez combined....
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I'd say the reason why they haven't surrounded him with any more talent is that their farm system is a bust. The day they trade Mike Trout they might as well move the Angels away from Anaheim.....
If the Angels trade away Mike Trout it will be a bigger disaster for the organization than the Dodgers trading away Mike Piazza and Pedro Martinez combined....

If the Angels trade him, it'll likely be to an East Coast team (where he'd finally get the publicity) and for enough prospects to fill an All-Star minor league team.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

First spring training game Dodgers win 5-3
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
First spring training game Dodgers win 5-3

YES!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Alex Wood not exactly making a great case to nab an open starter spot so far.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Kazmir and Ryu should fill out the final two spots on the starting rotation (if healthy).
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Kazmir and Ryu should fill out the final two spots on the starting rotation (if healthy).

One is a crappy starter (probably one of the few SP's whose ERA actually increases while playing for the Dodgers) and the other is a huge question mark.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

One is a crappy starter (probably one of the few SP's whose ERA actually increases while playing for the Dodgers) and the other is a huge question mark.

At least one of these guys will have to stay healthy this season. The front office has been positive on Ryu, McCarthy, and Kazmir at the start of camp. Urias and Alvarez will get their chances later in the year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 16 of 342
Jump to: