2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject:

I understand why Ethier was in there. He hit a HR the night before, so I can at least get why Roberts would want to try to catch some momentum there. And I can even at least see some logic for hoping that Granderson's career 1.000+ OPS off Arrieta might somehow rekindle something in him. But once his first two AB's were so terrible, he should have hit for him in his 3rd AB. And then to let Granderson hit for a fourth time with that 8th inning AB was insane. Yes, I mean that word literally, for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is what insane is. Utley has also looked pathetic (0 for his last 23 in the postseason) and, quite frankly, all of his age, and to continue to play him over Forsythe at this point is also insane.

Let's hope that Kershaw doesn't have a wobbly start and that the better lineup tomorrow will be enough to get it done.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Having Ethier & Granderson back to back really killed any momentum we could get last night. They were both pretty easy outs, Dre kept swinging at low balls, and Curtis was just comical.

I feel good about game 5, likely to be against a left handed pitcher so the lineup should be a bit more like the one we've had more success with so far.

I was OK with Ethier against the right hander but Granderson has just been waving at the ball for weeks now and killed us last night.

I would also go easy on the Utley fixation, I would rather just have Forsyth out there.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I understand why Ethier was in there. He hit a HR the night before, so I can at least get why Roberts would want to try to catch some momentum there. And I can even at least see some logic for hoping that Granderson's career 1.000+ OPS off Arrieta might somehow rekindle something in him. But once his first two AB's were so terrible, he should have hit for him in his 3rd AB. And then to let Granderson hit for a fourth time with that 8th inning AB was insane. Yes, I mean that word literally, for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is what insane is. Utley has also looked pathetic (0 for his last 23 in the postseason) and, quite frankly, all of his age, and to continue to play him over Forsythe at this point is also insane.

Let's hope that Kershaw doesn't have a wobbly start and that the better lineup tomorrow will be enough to get it done.

You're on fire, CS. Nailing it.

That being said, it was just a one run loss. Of course, from one point of view, that's what makes everything you've outlined all the more frustrating. On the other hand, Doc's been pulling almost all the right strings all season long (and most of last) so we have to trust that he'll be right more often than not. I get it though. We want that Mamba Mentality to show and just step on their throats, giving them no life. And we're getting so close the Fall Classic that we can taste it so everything's intensified. It's playoff baseball, man. Baez, who's been ice cold, just came up aces on two very good, off the plate pitches. It happens. Had Roberts yanked Wood after giving up his 2nd jack (which I was calling for), the game stays tied at 2 and we get deeper into the Cubbie's pen and we know how that story most likely ends. My point, I guess, is that we're closing this ish tonight. They gave everything they had last night (7 outs for Davis???) just to have the grand honor of not being swept.

But I definitely hear you brotha. Especially if I'm wrong about tonight haha.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

Great chance to win tonight. We will be facing a LH pitcher either Quintana or Lester. We will have Kershaw on the mound. Barnes will be back at catcher. Forsythe back at 2B. Short stop will be Culberson or Taylor. Hernandez LF or CF. Morrow and Kenley had a day off yesterday. Wade Davis will not be available tonight. We need to grind it out and make there pitcher work like we have all season. Hopefully Kersh can give us at least 6 innings then turn it over to our relievers. Game, set, match. Go Dodgers!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Great chance to win tonight. We will be facing a LH pitcher either Quintana or Lester. We will have Kershaw on the mound. Barnes will be back at catcher. Forsythe back at 2B. Short stop will be Culberson or Taylor. Hernandez LF or CF. Morrow and Kenley had a day off yesterday. Wade Davis will not be available tonight. We need to grind it out and make there pitcher work like we have all season. Hopefully Kersh can give us at least 6 innings then turn it over to our relievers. Game, set, match. Go Dodgers!

The boys seemed to be pressing a little yesterday at the plate. not as patient. Arrieta was obviously coming over the plate early but there were times when patience and selectivity ran thin with 2 strikes. Then again, I'm probably thinking about spots 5 - 9 lol
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

I dont know about the rest of you guys but im very nervous for tonights game, OK we have kershaw on the hill but hes been shaky at best i know our offense will bail us out someway but still cant fight that nervousness

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

Bleep granderson. My God, never let him off the pine again. He is beyond terrible. Learn your lesson Doc!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

It's natural to be nervous. We haven't been to the world series in 29 years!
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
It’s gonna be either Quintana or Lester on short rest tomorrow, so luckily Roberts won’t think about starting Ethier/Utley/Granderson/Grandal again. That combo was hot garbage. Back to the Game1/2 lineups so hopefully Culberson, Kiké, Barnes, and Forsythe give some quality at bats.

Unfortunately, the guys batting between Bellinger and Puig in the first two games (Hernandez, Forsythe, Barnes, Utley, Granderson) were 1-18 combined in those games. I just hope that Roberts doesn't put Puig on an island again.

Gotta keep Taylor/Turner/Bellinger/Puig as a unit. Forsythe and Barnes will at least draw walks to extend the lineup. Dropping Puig in the order is the dumbest thing Roberts keeps doing, and just one reason I can't give him a whole heap of praise.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
I dont know about the rest of you guys but im very nervous for tonights game, OK we have kershaw on the hill but hes been shaky at best i know our offense will bail us out someway but still cant fight that nervousness

I am a bit nervous because it’s Kershaw in Wrigley with all the pressure on him, but there are a lot of reasons to feel good about tonight:

-The Cubs haven’t manufactured a single run in this series. They are extremely reliant on the long ball.
-The Cubs have yet to score a run on our bullpen, so if Kershaw struggles Roberts will not hesitate to pull him or hit for him. Jansen didn’t pitch yesterday so he will be fresh.
-On the other hand, Wade Davis pitched nearly 50 pitches last night and will not be available tonight should the Cubs have a late lead to protect.
-Since Quintana will be starting, we will go back to the lineup that won us Games 1 & 2. No more Granderson, Grandal, Ethier, and Utley starting.
-Turner is dominating the Cubs. (and everyone for that matter) They have no answer for him. If they choose to walk him, Puig is behind him for protection, and he has been deadly as well. The Cubs don’t have an offensive combo even close to this. And Taylor or Bellinger should be able to reach base ahead of them.

I think we close it out tonight for all of the reasons above.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
srm90 wrote:
It’s gonna be either Quintana or Lester on short rest tomorrow, so luckily Roberts won’t think about starting Ethier/Utley/Granderson/Grandal again. That combo was hot garbage. Back to the Game1/2 lineups so hopefully Culberson, Kiké, Barnes, and Forsythe give some quality at bats.

Unfortunately, the guys batting between Bellinger and Puig in the first two games (Hernandez, Forsythe, Barnes, Utley, Granderson) were 1-18 combined in those games. I just hope that Roberts doesn't put Puig on an island again.

Gotta keep Taylor/Turner/Bellinger/Puig as a unit. Forsythe and Barnes will at least draw walks to extend the lineup. Dropping Puig in the order is the dumbest thing Roberts keeps doing, and just one reason I can't give him a whole heap of praise.

I’m pretty sure Roberts knows Puig has to bat cleanup after what happened in Game 2. At least I hope so.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Worst possible outcome of Bellinger's at-bat.

The team let the Cubs off the hook tonight. Let's send a major league lineup out tomorrow night, eh?

Just as I was thinking he was showing good discipline at the plate for taking those two balls he hits into that double-play.

He hit it hard.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

Kershaw is the highest paid baseball player. Widely regarded as the best pitcher in the world. He needs to pitch the game of his life tonight. I expect nothing less. No excuses.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Kershaw is the highest paid baseball player. Widely regarded as the best pitcher in the world. He needs to pitch the game of his life tonight. I expect nothing less. No excuses.

His regular, normal season self should get the job done.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles Dodgers
@Dodgers

#ThisTeam // NLCS Game 5:
Taylor CF
Turner 3B
Bellinger 1B
Puig RF
Forsythe 2B
Hernández LF
Barnes C
Culberson SS
Kershaw P
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

That’s the exact lineup I was expecting. And the best lineup we could have against a lefty. I feel good about tonight with that lineup.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I hate the right/left matchup thing. It's so dumb. Go with your best players and let them win the freakin' thing.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

With Davis not available tonight, I'm expecting Maddon to bring in Lester, perhaps to even finish the final 3-4 innings. He's on 3 days' rest so he should be able to throw at least 80 pitches if necessary. The Cubs can't worry about who will start Game 6 at this point, which would've been Lester's start. If they can get the series back to LA, perhaps some doubt starts to creep into the Dodgers' psyche. And they'd have Hendricks on 3 days' rest to start Game 6. I'm guessing that Maddon will go with Quintana for as long as he's looking good, and after the 5th inning (if he gets that far), he'll hook him at the first sign of trouble and try to finish the game with Lester.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Los Angeles Dodgers
@Dodgers

Taylor CF
Turner 3B
Bellinger 1B
Puig RF
Forsythe 2B
Hernández LF
Barnes C
Culberson SS
Kershaw P

I like this lineup for the Dodgers. More so because Puig is moved up in the batting order. The bottom of the lineup offensively may be a question mark, but I think they should at the very least make Quintana work. Kershaw should have the best game of his postseason career.

Last edited by LAkers 4 Life on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I hate the right/left matchup thing. It's so dumb. Go with your best players and let them win the freakin' thing.

If you watched last night, you would know this is the best lineup we could field regardless of the fact it’s righty heavy.

Granderson/Grandal/Utley/Ethier/Pederson should not be starting.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:

They won the first two games of the series with this lineup.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
With Davis not available tonight, I'm expecting Maddon to bring in Lester, perhaps to even finish the final 3-4 innings. He's on 3 days' rest so he should be able to throw at least 80 pitches if necessary. The Cubs can't worry about who will start Game 6 at this point, which would've been Lester's start. If they can get the series back to LA, perhaps some doubt starts to creep into the Dodgers' psyche. And they'd have Hendricks on 3 days' rest to start Game 6. I'm guessing that Maddon will go with Quintana for as long as he's looking good, and after the 5th inning (if he gets that far), he'll hook him at the first sign of trouble and try to finish the game with Lester.

Yes, I’m expecting the same. He’ll have Hendricks on short rest for Saturday. And then if for some reason we’re awful enough for this to go to Game 7, Arrieta on three days rest for Sunday.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
32 wrote:
Los Angeles Dodgers
@Dodgers

Taylor CF
Turner 3B
Bellinger 1B
Puig RF
Forsythe 2B
Hernández LF
Barnes C
Culberson SS
Kershaw P

I like this lineup for the Dodgers. More so because Puig is moved up in the batting order. The bottom of the lineup offensively may be a question mark, but I think they should at the very least make Quintana work. Kershaw should have the best game of his postseason career.

The bottom of our lineup is a hell of a lot better than the one last night.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Culberson has given many quality at bats. Barnes has struggled lately but is miles better than Grandal at this point. Kiké also struggled the first two games but mashed lefties this year, so hopefully he can get it going tonight. And Forsythe has been great this postseason and should be started at 2B regardless of matchup despite his drastic splits in the regular season.

Last edited by srm90 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
32 wrote:
Los Angeles Dodgers
@Dodgers

Taylor CF
Turner 3B
Bellinger 1B
Puig RF
Forsythe 2B
Hernández LF
Barnes C
Culberson SS
Kershaw P

The bottom of our lineup is a hell of a lot better than the one last night.

If the Dodgers have a big first inning, Kershaw might get into his Cy Young zone. The lineup last night was Roberts trying out his failed AARP lineup. Dodgers have youth or prime players in this lineup. They've got to go to this type of lineup the rest of the postseason for both offensive and defensive reasons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 167 of 342
Jump to: