2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Verlander is a beast. And we were one of teams he wanted to play for.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Darvish has been no slouch in the playoffs for us, at least.
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Altuve is a beast too on the other side. I don't see a cakewalk series. Both these teams are very good.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
32 wrote:

I know. I won't complain. But Verlander is pitching like a true ace.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
32 wrote:

I know. I won't complain. But Verlander is pitching like a true ace.

Verlander's battle tested in the playoffs. He's pitched in the WS before and right now he looks like he's found the Fountain of Youth. Nothing like being back in the playoffs finally healthy to get a guy going. Nobody on the Yankees staff right now can match him. Severino has been up and down and may get there but right now he doesn't have the stones to pitch in a playoffs game. Sabathia once was but he's a shell of his former self. Tanaka hasn't been the same since his injury.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Good news for Dodgers, they will be well rested and whoever wins game 7 will be tired.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Good news for Dodgers, they will be well rested and whoever wins game 7 will be tired.

Not so much. Verlander could start game 1 on 4 days rest. Or game 2 on regular 5 days.
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Not so much. Verlander could start game 1 on 4 days rest. Or game 2 on regular 5 days.
Game 1 is Tuesday. So I believe you're about 24hrs off.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Would the Dodgers bring back Hyun Jin Ryu as a starter and have Wood as the long reliever? Wood's velocity is a concern. He gave up 3 home runs, although the third was more due to the wind since it was a ridiculous swing, but was getting outs and didn't walk anyone. Perhaps Wood would be best served utilized like Maeda. Maeda's velocity is noticeably much higher as a reliever since he doesn't need to save anything.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Would the Dodgers bring back Hyun Jin Ryu as a starter and have Wood as the long reliever? Wood's velocity is a concern. He gave up 3 home runs, although the third was more due to the wind since it was a ridiculous swing, but was getting outs and didn't walk anyone. Perhaps Wood would be best served utilized like Maeda. Maeda's velocity is noticeably much higher as a reliever since he doesn't need to save anything.

Wood makes me nervous. Those AL lineups against him with the DH hitting sounds scary.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

The Astros will most certainly use Keuchel in relief in Game 7 of the ALCS. Charlie Morton is not going to cut it and he will have a super short leash. So if the Astros pull it off they will most likely start McCullers in Game 1 of the WS. I highly doubt they would start Verlander on short rest in Game 1 when they can start him on normal rest in Game 2.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
The Astros will most certainly use Keuchel in relief in Game 7 of the ALCS. Charlie Morton is not going to cut it and he will have a super short leash. So if the Astros pull it off they will most likely start McCullers in Game 1 of the WS. I highly doubt they would start Verlander on short rest in Game 1 when they can start him on normal rest in Game 2.

Yes I agree, they would just start Verlander in Game 2 on regular rest. As it relates to Wood, I wonder if it matters whether it's the Astros or the Yankees that are our opponents. Yankee Stadium is an absolute bandbox, and I'm not sure I want Wood pitching in that park throwing 90 MPH with less bite on his pitches. (Hill can get away with throwing a 90 MPH fastball because his curveball is so disgustingly filthy.) But if it's Houston, their park is actually ranked 30th (that's out of 30) in MLB in terms of park factor offensively. They have the short Crawford boxes down the LF line, and it's also short right down the RF line, but it's really hard to hit one out from gap to gap in that park. Maybe they would consider starting Wood if it's in Houston, and Ryu if it's in New York, but I am just totally speculating.

Oh, and Tanaka has looked like his old self all postseason, and was markedly better in the 2nd half this season. His 2nd half ERA of 3.77 may not look great, but that was inflated because he allowed 12 HR in 76.1 IP after the break. His 2nd half OPS against was a paltry .672, and he only allowed 81 baserunners in those 76.1 IP. In the postseason, he's allowed 2 runs in 20 innings, covering 3 starts.

I don't think the Yankees have a top 2 in the rotation that can match Verlander-Keuchel, but I think their rotation is deeper, and I think their bullpen is clearly better. Both teams are good, but I think the Yankees might be more dangerous. I get the feeling that we'll still be able to compete (obviously) with Keuchel-Verlander, and that Houston would be at a clear disadvantage against us when anyone else is starting for them, and I feel like coming from behind would be easier against them. I'd like to see an extra inning Game 7 between the 2 teams where both teams empty out their entire pitching staffs!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject:

ssiknick833 wrote:
32 wrote:

Altuve is a beast too on the other side. I don't see a cakewalk series. Both these teams are very good.

I thiink we smoke the Yankees. Astros are pretty damn sick. Hope there's a 25 inning game 7 for these 2.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:

The whole team has been great but I also want to throw some love to Maeda...the guy has been breathing fire and pitching fantastic out of the bully for us.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ssiknick833 wrote:
32 wrote:

I thiink we smoke the Yankees. Astros are pretty damn sick. Hope there's a 25 inning game 7 for these 2.

There is no doubt the Yankees fans impact the game, much as I hate to admit it.

I would just as soon face Houston even though playing the Yankees is the more historic matchup.

As you said, a 25 inning game 7 would be great!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

Yankees had the best home record in the AL. They just beat the Astros 3 straight at home. Yankees are the Celtics of baseball.

Astros have been the best team in AL all year. They also have the city behind them because of the #Houstonstrong flooding tragedy.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ssiknick833 wrote:
32 wrote:

There is no doubt the Yankees fans impact the game, much as I hate to admit it.

I would just as soon face Houston even though playing the Yankees is the more historic matchup.

As you said, a 25 inning game 7 would be great!

Thankfully, the Dodgers are probably the best road team this playoffs. I guess having a deep roster allows them to be pretty consistent no matter where they play.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Yankees had the best home record in the AL. They just beat the Astros 3 straight at home. Yankees are the Celtics of baseball.

Astros have been the best team in AL all year. They also have the city behind them because of the #Houstonstrong flooding tragedy.

It is going to be an incredibly entertaining series this year... Looking forward to it.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

We will know our opponent tonight guys. This ish is getting real!
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Rooting for the Yanks..Astros will be a tough matchup.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

This will be the Yankees 13th post game tonight and the Astros 10th. We have played 8.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I don't know who to root for, so I'll root for no one. I likewise didn't know who to root for in the previous series, because you don't really know how you will matchup with either team.
Daikatana
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

So then who are considered the "Lakers" of baseball then?

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Daikatana wrote:
32 wrote:

So then who are considered the "Lakers" of baseball then?

I used the Celtics comparison because they own us heads up just like the Yankees own us heads up. And they both have more championships than us.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Houston leads 4-0 in the 5th. Looks like the Yankees could be running out of gas.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 181 of 342
Jump to: