View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
AuraStar wrote:
In case you haven't already figured it out, you have to write in Cody Bellinger's name on the All-Star ballot!

Oh and can I say Forsythe sucks?!

He wasn't very good with the Padres and then did well with the Rays. Maybe he just doesn't like playing in southern CA lol. I have no idea, but that .191 average and .258 slugging % isn't lighting the world on fire. He does have a .318 OBP, which suggests that he'd be an on-base asset if he could merely hit .250 or so. At least we have Taylor as an alternative if this keeps up for Forsythe.

He's an ex-Ray so the team will keep him. Maybe even give him a big deal when his current one expires.

We don't have to necessarily get rid of him; but if he's playing terrible in September, we have alternatives, assuming that Taylor is still looking good. Heck, even Utley is around, though he's more of a last resort starting option for me.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
AuraStar wrote:
In case you haven't already figured it out, you have to write in Cody Bellinger's name on the All-Star ballot!

Oh and can I say Forsythe sucks?!

He wasn't very good with the Padres and then did well with the Rays. Maybe he just doesn't like playing in southern CA lol. I have no idea, but that .191 average and .258 slugging % isn't lighting the world on fire. He does have a .318 OBP, which suggests that he'd be an on-base asset if he could merely hit .250 or so. At least we have Taylor as an alternative if this keeps up for Forsythe.

He's an ex-Ray so the team will keep him. Maybe even give him a big deal when his current one expires.

We don't have to necessarily get rid of him; but if he's playing terrible in September, we have alternatives, assuming that Taylor is still looking good. Heck, even Utley is around, though he's more of a last resort starting option for me.

Nah, we'll just throw more wood onto the fire. Let's trade a top prospect for Brad Miller.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject:

I'm torn on whether or not I think we should look for an upgrade on Puig in RF. On the one hand, he's on pace for 24 HR, 82 RBI, and 21 SB, and it's hard to find 20-20 guys. And he's become a good defensive RF. But on the other hand, he just seems so overmatched vs. righthanded pitchers with above-average stuff, and he has a very ordinary .715 OPS. He also leads the league with 11 double play groundouts. In fact, both Baseball Reference and Fangraphs have him as having negative WAR offensively, and he's at about 0.5 WAR overall because he does have positive defensive value.

My gut is that we should look for an upgrade. He just feels like too much of an easy out against good right-handed pitching. It's like a pitcher has an escape hatch to navigate through an inning. I'm not opposed to a rental player, but we can't give up too much like in the Reddick/Hill deal. Someone with postseason experience and a clutch reputation wouldn't suck, either. Perhaps someone like Lorenzo Cain. And since he's a CF, he could play RF for us and our outfield D should remain solid. I think I would prefer that to taking on Braun's contract, actually, and it keeps more payroll space open for a run at a mega free agent after next season.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Maeda loses rotation spot and will go to the 'pen when Wood is back

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/06/quick-hits-maeda-profar-beltre-cruz-tanaka.html
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I'm torn on whether or not I think we should look for an upgrade on Puig in RF. On the one hand, he's on pace for 24 HR, 82 RBI, and 21 SB, and it's hard to find 20-20 guys. And he's become a good defensive RF. But on the other hand, he just seems so overmatched vs. righthanded pitchers with above-average stuff, and he has a very ordinary .715 OPS. He also leads the league with 11 double play groundouts. In fact, both Baseball Reference and Fangraphs have him as having negative WAR offensively, and he's at about 0.5 WAR overall because he does have positive defensive value.

My gut is that we should look for an upgrade. He just feels like too much of an easy out against good right-handed pitching. It's like a pitcher has an escape hatch to navigate through an inning. I'm not opposed to a rental player, but we can't give up too much like in the Reddick/Hill deal. Someone with postseason experience and a clutch reputation wouldn't suck, either. Perhaps someone like Lorenzo Cain. And since he's a CF, he could play RF for us and our outfield D should remain solid. I think I would prefer that to taking on Braun's contract, actually, and it keeps more payroll space open for a run at a mega free agent after next season.

Cain would likely cost too much at this stage. I have no faith in this limp dick FO to make a trade where we don't give up much for a quality player. The Reddick/Hill deal is just an example of that. They get a boner for players on their former team and can't help themselves.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Cain would likely cost too much at this stage. I have no faith in this limp dick FO to make a trade where we don't give up much for a quality player. The Reddick/Hill deal is just an example of that. They get a boner for players on their former team and can't help themselves.

At least Cain is a pending free agent, so he shouldn't cost as much as some would, as a rental guy.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

At least Cain is a pending free agent, so he shouldn't cost as much as some would, as a rental guy.

I've learned long ago never to underestimate this FO's ability to overspend on one of their former players.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Good to see JT back in the lineup and delivers with a HR his first time up. Solid 4 innings in relief from Maeda
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Holy crap Alex Wood is becoming a monster. Can he keep this up?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Holy crap Alex Wood is becoming a monster. Can he keep this up?

They're doing a great job of managiing his innings/pitch count.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

I jinxed him. 27 scoreless inning streak comes to an end.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Nice win. Wood continues to look good. Segar and Turner with big hits. Puig also playing real well. Nice team victory. These guys are never out of it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Corey. Seager.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Another nice win. Wish the Rockies would cool off.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:
Another nice win. Wish the Rockies would cool off.

We've been doing the Cubs a huge solid by destroying the NL central and they go and roll over to the Rockies
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Grand Slam Seager! Another epic comeback!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

I was at the Ravine today! Of course, I left after the 7th inning because I had to drive back to Anaheim and didn't want to deal with the traffic, but I'll take not watching the comeback as long as we got the win.

Forsythe pinch hits and hits into an inning-ending DP. Dude is really scuffling. When Joc comes back, they need to just turn him into a utility player, especially with the way that Taylor and Utley are hitting. I guess I overrated his solid #'s over the past 2 seasons with TB and maybe there's something to be said for it being harder to produce with expectations, as opposed to putting up #'s on a bad team. (Is this the case against Markelle Fultz anyway? Haha, I digress.)

Stripling is not a guy I'm a fan of, I've said this before, and his ERA is starting to reflect his ordinary WHIP. I'm fine with him as a mop-up guy and long man but I don't want him anywhere near the 8th inning and having to get big outs.

Kenley continues to amaze. I'm sure he'll walk somebody before too long, but what he's doing is astonishing.

Ryu didn't look good today. His velocity was mainly in the upper 80's. I suppose the Dodgers will just continue to shuffle through Ryu, Maeda, and eventually Urias in the #5 spot in the rotation, with Wood, Hill and McCarthy having spots when healthy. I wouldn't even rule out Kazmir still making starts at some point; Roberts said he has reached 92 MPH as he continues to try to make it back.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

^^ Awesome ChickenStu.

How about that Corey (bleep) Seager!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Seager hitting like it's June of last year. With the rest of the offense slumping, Corey on a hot-streak is the exact type of player we need to steal games we otherwise deserve to lose.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Seager hitting like it's June of last year. With the rest of the offense slumping, Corey on a hot-streak is the exact type of player we need to steal games we otherwise deserve to lose.

^^
Definitely Jonnybravo! And yes, I agree, maybe Seager is about to go on a hot streak. He hasn't been having an incredible year, but there's plenty of time to change that. He did get off to a slower start in spring training and didn't get a lot of AB's with the injury.

I should've also added that it's not out of the question that we could see Walker Buehler making some starts later on in the season, especially if the #5 options are struggling and/or if there are injuries. (And it's a strong bet that there will be.) Buehler might be on the fast track.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Seager is heating up.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Seager is heating up.

Props also to Kiki. That 13 pitch AB was a gem. Iglesias looked visibly drained from it.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Iove this team. Deal for another ace and we're set.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

Preferably not an injury prone, postseason horrific ex-A/Ray.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

I'd rather get an Andrew Miller-like impact reliever to put in front of Jansen. Still don't trust anyone in a super tight spot in the postseason in the 7th or 8th inning. Baez has not entered into the circle of trust for me yet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 33 of 342
Jump to: