2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
JT has been my favorite Dodger regular for some time. What a find by our scouting and Colletti.

I don't get the fascination with Ned. We made a ton of terrible signings under him and gave away a lot of great talent for poor relievers and role players. If anything, thank Logan White for 95% of the success here when Ned was in charge.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:
JT has been my favorite Dodger regular for some time. What a find by our scouting and Colletti.

I don't get the fascination with Ned. We made a ton of terrible signings under him and gave away a lot of great talent for poor relievers and role players. If anything, thank Logan White for 95% of the success here when Ned was in charge.

I like him a lot more than this FO because at least Colletti kept Logan White around.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I like him a lot more than this FO because at least Colletti kept Logan White around.

White was a huge loss. Ned was still here as a special advisor to Kasten when we let Logan go though.

Thankfully Padres ownership is terrible, so I don't think we'll have to worry about them too much.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:

To be fair to Ned, he had to be GM when a cheapskate was our owner and we had to watch payroll, and yet he also had a directive to win now. So yes, that's how you end up trading Carlos Santana for Casey Blake, etc. He was in a tough spot. It's easy to criticize him for giving up talent, but he had to carry out the owner's wishes. He did make some good under-the-radar moves, and we did make the NLCS a few times under his watch.

And I truly believe that we had the best team in the postseason until Joe Kelly beaned Hanley in the ribs in Game 1 of the NLCS. That very well could have cost us a World Series.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:

To be fair to Ned, he had to be GM when a cheapskate was our owner and we had to watch payroll, and yet he also had a directive to win now. So yes, that's how you end up trading Carlos Santana for Casey Blake, etc. He was in a tough spot. It's easy to criticize him for giving up talent, but he had to carry out the owner's wishes. He did make some good under-the-radar moves, and we did make the NLCS a few times under his watch.

And I truly believe that we had the best team in the postseason until Joe Kelly beaned Hanley in the ribs in Game 1 of the NLCS. That very well could have cost us a World Series.

Juiced up Manny was pretty amazing for us back in the last decade

I agree with you on the Hanley beaning thing too. The guy was swinging the bat crazy good and was easily the best hitter on any team that postseason.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Not a big fan of Colletti. I had been a pretty big fan of Logan White since his hiring because he really updated the farm system from the get go from the disaster that was before he arrived. I'd much rather have him as a special advisor than Colletti. Even now, I don't think the Padres are utilizing him to all of his strengths including the amateur draft.

The book is still out on this front office with regards to the draft. They just can't seem to avoid the lure or injured players though. I think at least a couple of their top draft picks are players coming off Tommy John surgery. We've already seen their philosophy on free agent and international signings and so far it's been too many misses than hits.

Dodgers move up to 23 in the first round for now. Still waiting on Trumbo, Encarnacion, and Bautista. Hope they sign elsewhere so that the Dodgers move up even more.

Last edited by LAkers 4 Life on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Not a big fan of Colletti. I had been a pretty big fan of Logan White since his hiring because he really updated the farm system from the get go from the disaster that was before he arrived. I'd much rather have him as a special advisor than Colletti. Even now, I don't think the Padres are utilizing him to all of his strengths including the amateur draft.

The book is still out on this front office with regards to the draft. They just can't seem to avoid the lure or injured players though. I think at least a couple of their top draft picks are players coming off Tommy John surgery. We've already seen their philosophy on free agent and international signings and so far it's been too many misses than hits.

Dodgers move up to 21 in the first round for now. Still waiting on Trumbo, Encarnacion, and Bautista. Hope they sign elsewhere so that the Dodgers move up even more.

Not just injured players. Injury prone players who have played for their former teams or in the East. Because that's all they have in their spreadsheets and I dunno if they're too shy or too stupid to scout elsewhere.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Dozier to Dodgers remains most obvious Hot Stove move

Dozier's Power Translated to Dodger Stadium
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

Will cost a pretty penny in prospects. Still a bit wary on his batting averages though. Strikes out quite a bit and is prone to some bad ESPN Not Top 10 worthy defensive plays. If we can get him without giving up too much and maybe retain Utley on a cheap hometown deal for a utility role, I'd be happy.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Will cost a pretty penny in prospects. Still a bit wary on his batting averages though. Strikes out quite a bit and is prone to some bad ESPN Not Top 10 worthy defensive plays. If we can get him without giving up too much and maybe retain Utley on a cheap hometown deal for a utility role, I'd be happy.

I'm fine with Utley as a $5MM cheerleader. If he's starting again, I won't be happy.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodgers News: Kenley Jansen’s Agent Says Wedding “Pivoted” Decision

When Kenley Jansen re-signed with the Dodgers, it was somewhat surprising due to the extent of the Miami Marlins’ and Washington Nationals’ offers. Jansen’s agent Adam Katz appeared on MLB Network Radio Tuesday to explain what changed.

Jansen married in Curocao over the weekend, alongside a number of his Dodger teammates. Katz said the extravaganza clearly changed Jansen’s thought process.

http://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-news-kenley-jansens-agent-says-wedding-pivoted-decision-gb1293/2016/12/14/

This shall be known from now on as the "Blue Wedding"
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

I don't believe this factors the air at Dodger Stadium, that marine layer inversion factor, that is often cited as keeping many balls in the ballpark.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

The Dodgers do need to be careful here. This will be buying high as Dozier will be 30 and just came off a career year. Still the Dodgers have a lot of pieces to work with here besides the top prospects: Brock Stewart, who has the Twins interest; Puig; Wood; the #4 prospect, second basemen Willie Calhoun; Thompson; SVS; Keekay, just to name some. Heck, Kazmir or McCarthy could be a number two for the Twins--though, yes, they were both number two for the Dodgers.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

The Dodgers do need to be careful here. This will be buying high as Dozier will be 30 and just came off a career year. Still the Dodgers have a lot of pieces to work with here besides the top prospects: Brock Stewart, who has the Twins interest; Puig; Wood; the #4 prospect, second basemen Willie Calhoun; Thompson; SVS; Keekay, just to name some. Heck, Kazmir or McCarthy could be a number two for the Twins--though, yes, they were both number two for the Dodgers.

Indeed. Though if I were a GM, I wouldn't want anything to do with McCarthy and his body of glass especially with that ludicrous price tag.

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

I'm fine with Utley as a $5MM cheerleader. If he's starting again, I won't be happy.

I'm certain at his age, Utley won't be starting for almost all teams. But he's got immense value as a utility/defensive sub/PH.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

well i know this fact, the more realistic and reasonable for a trade to be made, then it will never happen. it's been played out. Sales to RedSox, Chapman back to Yankees were all came out of no where. once everyone's talking about a certain trade, then most likely it won't happen.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

In industry circles, the Yankees were seen as the favorites to sign Chapman.

If we could somehow get Dozier without giving up Bellinger or JDL, it will be a coup. You'd think that they would want Calhoun back, since he's a second baseman, although there is some talk that he's not exactly a polished fielder. I still think it's likely that we will have to include JDL if we want Dozier. And honestly, I would do it. JDL isn't 20 or 21 years old. He's 24 and will be 25 next season. And while I think he has a chance to be quite good, I would be lying if I said that I was completely confident in that. And since he's not a young prospect, really, I would pull the trigger if he was the headliner in the deal. Dozier turns 30 next season and has 2 years of team control left, so we'd be getting 2 prime years. 7-WAR players don't just grow on trees. Given that I don't think JDL is a sure thing, sometimes, you have to give up something to get something. Sure, Dozier may not smoke 40+ bombs again, but he's a proven 25-30 HR guy at second base. The dude's power is real. The ball really jumps off his bat, and he'll take a walk, too.

And call me crazy, but I want to see what Wood can do next season, so I'm hoping that we don't have to include him in any deals. His ERA didn't show it last season, but it was still a small sample size, and he was throwing harder and striking guys out at a higher rate, while maintaining a pretty strong walk rate, too. Even if he's just a reliever for us, I think he could be important.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
In industry circles, the Yankees were seen as the favorites to sign Chapman.

If we could somehow get Dozier without giving up Bellinger or JDL, it will be a coup. You'd think that they would want Calhoun back, since he's a second baseman, although there is some talk that he's not exactly a polished fielder. I still think it's likely that we will have to include JDL if we want Dozier. And honestly, I would do it. JDL isn't 20 or 21 years old. He's 24 and will be 25 next season. And while I think he has a chance to be quite good, I would be lying if I said that I was completely confident in that. And since he's not a young prospect, really, I would pull the trigger if he was the headliner in the deal. Dozier turns 30 next season and has 2 years of team control left, so we'd be getting 2 prime years. 7-WAR players don't just grow on trees. Given that I don't think JDL is a sure thing, sometimes, you have to give up something to get something. Sure, Dozier may not smoke 40+ bombs again, but he's a proven 25-30 HR guy at second base. The dude's power is real. The ball really jumps off his bat, and he'll take a walk, too.

And call me crazy, but I want to see what Wood can do next season, so I'm hoping that we don't have to include him in any deals. His ERA didn't show it last season, but it was still a small sample size, and he was throwing harder and striking guys out at a higher rate, while maintaining a pretty strong walk rate, too. Even if he's just a reliever for us, I think he could be important.

You make good points, and having Dozier is better than not having Dozier. Still, last year could be considered an indication of things to come, another Turner who blossoms at 29, or the outlier, the one-hit wonder.

Last year Dozier had an OPS+ of 136, quite exceptional, better than any Dodger not named Seager, and even here, just barely short of Seagers's 137. But his lifetime OPS+ is 108--100 (exactly average) if you subtract last year

So, does one expect 108, 136, or something in between? I suppose most would say the latter, but that is still quite a range. I'm guessing he will land closer to 108 than 136, just based on his track record.

I would prefer to give up Wood, rather than De Leon, though I also agree that Wood's latter part of the season, though yes, a very limited sample size, is reason for optimism. I suppose it comes down to what the Twins want.

If they wanted Stewart, De Leon, and Calhoun, (two of the top 4 prospects) I'd think long and hard. I go back and forth, but, today, I'd probably do it, though I consider the price too high.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Dozier at the right price would be good. His seasons aren't very consistent though, which is a concern. He had a good season, so if the trend continues, he'll struggle next season with his OBP and a lower WAR. I think the Dodgers should throw out some rumors about other 2B and try to lower the asking price. The rumor already is that the Dodgers are willing to put Jose DeLeon in the package. That right there is a pretty big asking price. Dodgers already gave up several attractive prospects in the Rich Hill/Reddick deal. Trading DeLeon means the Dodgers must get a consistent impact player.

With Yimi Garcia out for the year with Tommy John surgery, and now Brad Ziegler off the market, the Dodgers will also need to figure out their bullpen. Who will replace Joe Blanton? I get the feeling the Dodgers are gonna move Brandon McCarthy to the bullpen if they can't find any trade takers. I hope him, Ryu and Kazmir get healthy and pitch well enough for the Dodgers to dump them for some actual assets. But man is that wishful thinking.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject:

I've had Dozier for 3 years in a row in fantasy baseball, so I've followed him a bit. I must say that I like him. It's not just the power, either. He'll steal a base for you, draw a walk, and play a solid second base, so I feel like even if he's not hitting for average, he can help you. And if he figured something out at 29 with the power spike, as ribeye alluded to, the value is enormous. I do tend to think that some caution is probably best exercised here, but even so, he could be a solid 4-5 win type of player, instead of the 7 WAR that he put up last season.

I'm still intrigued a bit by Forsythe of Tampa Bay. He put up a nice 3.4 WAR season last year, this after his 5 WAR season in '15. He doesn't have quite as much power, but he's still swatted 37 longballs over the past 2 campaigns. He also doesn't steal bases as much. But a good, solid player. He turns 30 in January, but only has 1 season of team control left. There's no way he would cost JDL, but Tampa Bay will still want something nice for him. What I'd really try to engage the Rays in would be a package of Forsythe and Colome. Colome really broke out last season, is 27, and I don't think it was a fluke. In '15 he pitched a little over 100 innings because they gave him 13 starts, and the ERA and peripheral stats were nice. Then last year as a reliever, his strikeout rate spiked, but his walk rate did not jump up, and I think that's a great sign. He has 4 years of team control left, so they will want the moon. A back-end of the bullpen of Jansen and Colome would be incredible. So in that vein, if we could land Forsythe and Colome both, and if the package were similar to what Minnesota wants for Dozier, I'd prefer to deal with Tampa Bay.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I've had Dozier for 3 years in a row in fantasy baseball, so I've followed him a bit. I must say that I like him. It's not just the power, either. He'll steal a base for you, draw a walk, and play a solid second base, so I feel like even if he's not hitting for average, he can help you. And if he figured something out at 29 with the power spike, as ribeye alluded to, the value is enormous. I do tend to think that some caution is probably best exercised here, but even so, he could be a solid 4-5 win type of player, instead of the 7 WAR that he put up last season.

I'm still intrigued a bit by Forsythe of Tampa Bay. He put up a nice 3.4 WAR season last year, this after his 5 WAR season in '15. He doesn't have quite as much power, but he's still swatted 37 longballs over the past 2 campaigns. He also doesn't steal bases as much. But a good, solid player. He turns 30 in January, but only has 1 season of team control left. There's no way he would cost JDL, but Tampa Bay will still want something nice for him. What I'd really try to engage the Rays in would be a package of Forsythe and Colome. Colome really broke out last season, is 27, and I don't think it was a fluke. In '15 he pitched a little over 100 innings because they gave him 13 starts, and the ERA and peripheral stats were nice. Then last year as a reliever, his strikeout rate spiked, but his walk rate did not jump up, and I think that's a great sign. He has 4 years of team control left, so they will want the moon. A back-end of the bullpen of Jansen and Colome would be incredible. So in that vein, if we could land Forsythe and Colome both, and if the package were similar to what Minnesota wants for Dozier, I'd prefer to deal with Tampa Bay.

Don't do that some members of this board might have an aneurysm.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject:

Chapman complaining about having to pitch so much last postseason, even after winning the world series. I'm glad we ended up getting Jansen back, who wanted to pitch as much as possible to help the team.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Rib-bit:

The Dodgers payroll, just next year, for guys who won't play for the Blue:

$07.50M Alex Guerrero released
$05.50M Erisbel Arruebarrena off 40-man
$03.05M Matt Kemp traded to/from
$01.60M Dian Toscano
$04.67M Hector Olivera traded to/from
$21.86M Carl Crawford released
$03.50M Yaisel Sierra

I suppose this is one reason why Greinke was not signed, nor any of the premium pitchers last year, and why they want to trade to fill holes. Then again, one has to question some of the signings they did make.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Rib-bit:

The Dodgers payroll, just next year, for guys who won't play for the Blue:

$07.50M Alex Guerrero released
$05.50M Erisbel Arruebarrena off 40-man
$03.05M Matt Kemp traded to/from
$01.60M Dian Toscano
$04.67M Hector Olivera traded to/from
$21.86M Carl Crawford released
$03.50M Yaisel Sierra

I suppose this is one reason why Greinke was not signed, nor any of the premium pitchers last year, and why they want to trade to fill holes. Then again, one has to question some of the signings they did make.

Thank goodness a lot of that stuff falls off next year or very soon. We're looking good for the amazing FA class coming up in a couple years.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-dodgers-payroll-situation-is-far-from-dire/

Dodgers are burdened with a lot of dead money and big contracts, but they'll fall off within the next two seasons just in time for the monster 2018 free-agent class. Dodgers don't want to get hit too hard by the luxury tax where it might affect their offseason plans with regards to QOs and draft picks and international signing money. They'll need to start incorporating some of their prospects into the lineup. I'm guessing at this point Alvarez, Buehler, Verdugo, and Bellinger are the next wave of prospects that are considered untouchable. But you never know. It'll be interesting to see how the Dodgers incorporate their prospects into the lineup while phasing out the big money veterans, essentially doing the "rebuild while contending" that was the FO plan all along.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

As we know, the Dodgers and Twins might be coming to a resolution shortly about Dozier. But here's something interesting as well that's been reported by Jon Morosi today, via mlbtraderumors.com...

Meanwhile, the Dodgers are on the hunt for a righty set-up man. One possibility, per Morosi, is live-armed 28-year-old Neftali Feliz, who is arguably the best-remaining relief pitcher.

This is the type of move I would like. Feliz is the type of hard-throwing power reliever that we need to set up Jansen IMO. (As long as his last name is not Baez.) Feliz averaged something like 98 MPH on his fastball last season and his velocity actually increased as the season went along, and he struck out a batter per inning. He's starting to get further and further removed from his TJ surgery and is still pretty young. I feel like it could be a solid signing for the Dodgers. I just feel like power-armed guys are what you need in the postseason. They can get away with mistakes more easily and don't need to be as precise.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 11 of 342
Jump to: