Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Romo adding to his 7.9 ERA...

That one was 100% Kike.

Didn't see the actual at bat, just saw the box .

Apparently lost the ball in the lights.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Romo adding to his 7.9 ERA...

That one was 100% Kike.

Didn't see the actual at bat, just saw the box .

Trust me, you don't want to see it
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

A lot of people were happy when we got Romo...All I ever saw last season on SF Giants forums is how bad Romo was for them, and how many games he would blow. That's why I was a little confused why people thought it was a good move.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
A lot of people were happy when we got Romo...All I ever saw last season on SF Giants forums is how bad Romo was for them, and how many games he would blow. That's why I was a little confused why people thought it was a good move.

I think the people that were happy with the move were hoping for a Brian Wilson type of resuscitation. Wilson was great for us for a season. It's not looking good so far early in the season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I think the people that were happy with the move were hoping for a Brian Wilson type of resuscitation. Wilson was great for us for a season. It's not looking good so far early in the season.

Yeah, I mean, it was a low-risk move for us. We aren't paying him much money. If he is still scuffling in a month or two, you could always just release him.

Is anyone else surprised that Baez gave up another run in a high-leverage spot? This dude does not belong on a major league mound in those spots. I was listening on the radio while driving home tonight when Baez pitched his inning, and they mentioned that right-handed batters only have 2 hits off him all year. Then Jaso came up as a pinch hitter, Rick Monday says "he's a very good fastball hitter", and I was like "here we go." Sure enough, boom. John Jaso isn't even a good power hitter; he has only reached 10 HR in a season once. Baez just doesn't have it between the ears.

Since he's still pretty young and since he throws hard and since he actually does have decent peripheral stats, I would try really, really hard to move him, along with another prospect, for a power-armed reliever that can take over the 8th inning. That has to be the #1 priority for this team right now. We aren't going to win the World Series with this bullpen as is. If the Royals continue to flounder, and with so many of their good players reaching free agency after the season, they probably know that they are going to have to tear it all down and do a rebuild. And with Kelvin Herrera a free agent after next season's end, they will probably move him now so that they get max value. (What sense would it make to keep a good closer in his final year on the team when the team is going through a rebuild?) I would be targeting Herrera at this point. He's only posted an ERA above 3 once in a full season, and his average fastball velocity of 97.5 MPH this season is up .4 MPH from last season, so he's not wearing down and appears to be at his peak.

When the Yankees traded Andrew Miller before last year's deadline, he, too, had 2 years (that concluding season plus one more) of team control remaining. The Indians gave up two top prospects, Clint Frazier (the #21-ranked prospect at the time according to Baseball America) and Justus Sheffield (ranked #69), plus a couple of other lower-regarded prospects. Herrera isn't as good as Miller, but I still think one top prospect will be required, as well as another top 100 type. What about something like Alex Verdugo (#54 on mlb.com), Willie Calhoun (#74), and Baez? Verdugo and Calhoun are very close to MLB-ready, and Baez is already an established bullpen guy (with theoretical upside). With KC highly likely to lose Lorenzo Cain, Mike Moustakas, and Eric Hosmer to free agency, they could use a replenishment of position players. The Dodgers would still have Yusniel Diaz as a top OF prospect (#97 overall) and would keep top pitching prospects Yadier Alvarez and Walker Buehler here. Perhaps one of Verdugo/Calhoun and Buehler (and Baez) would be fair, too. Last year's 1st round pick, SS Gavin Lux (who has had a nice pro debut so far), could also be a nice get for the Royals, since Alcides Escobar is also a free agent at season's end, though there have been reports that KC wants to re-sign him because they think he will be much more affordable than those others I mentioned. Lux is obviously blocked by Seager, although the Dodgers could be eyeing Lux taking over at SS in 2020 or so and Seager moving over to 3rd base once Justin Turner's contract is up. Lux is only 19, after all. Actually, with that in mind, Lux would not be an option to take over for Escobar next season anyway. He's likely 3 years away from the majors. (Anyhow, he's a nice prospect!)

I'd much prefer Herrera to someone like Daniel Robertson of the White Sox, who seems past his prime and is also more expensive. Let the Nationals get him.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

It was a low risk move. If he rediscovered his form after injuries last year, which seemed to be the case towards the end of the year, he'd be a major bargain and a chance to stick one up the VaGiants asses. If not, we don't lose much. Also, he's a Dodger fan.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Toles to have season ending surgery.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19353543/andrew-toles-los-angeles-dodgers-season-torn-acl

Friedman and Gabe Kapler under investigation by MLB for discrimination against a veteran and Terry Francona's son.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-investigating-dodgers-alleged-discrimination-termination-war-veteran-nick-francona-173420143.html

So glad Kasten demanded the sabermorons find a different candidate than their yes man Kapler.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Bellinger with another HR and added a great diving catch to boot. Maeda on the way to a complete game shut out (crosses fingers). Great game so far.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Bellinger with another HR and added a great diving catch to boot. Maeda on the way to a complete game shut out (crosses fingers). Great game so far.

And there goes the shutout. I hope you're happy.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

And there goes the shutout. I hope you're happy.

Well .....sheet....lmao..
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Brutal for Toles. I'm a big fan. It does kind of solve the conundrum of what to do with A-Gone when he gets back. Bellinger just becomes the LF now. Also, if Taylor keeps raking and A-Gone can't ever get it back, perhaps you could slide Forsythe over to 1B when he gets back.

I still like Toles long-term.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject:

We really still need that elusive dependable #2. If we can get that, I like our chances.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
We really still need that elusive dependable #2. If we can get that, I like our chances.

I actually think a second lockdown bullpen guy is more important than a #2 starter. I think you can win in the postseason with 1 great starter and the rest of them being guys who just give you a chance. I think the last 15 years or so of World Series winners have been a mixed bag; some teams have had 2 aces, but some definitely did not. But what virtually all teams have had were lockdown bullpens, with multiple power-armed guys.

As I mentioned, Kelvin Herrera is likely to be available for the right price. We have a relationship with the Braves FO and I'd still look at Arodys Vizcaino, who has rebounded nicely this season as a setup guy, with an average fastball velocity of 97.3 MPH (the fastest of his career). Perhaps Robertson from the White Sox. I don't know if the Angels would consider trading Bedrosian, who can't be a free agent until 2022, but they have severe long-term needs at 2B and the OF (specifically, LF) and a package of Verdugo and Calhoun might make a lot of sense for them. In going back to the A's well, Ryan Madson could be a target (has maintained his same fastball velocity and has a nice fastball-changeup combination). Colome from the Rays would be a strong get as well. Maybe the Marlins could consider AJ Ramos or Kyle Barraclough, if they fall out of contention.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I actually think a second lockdown bullpen guy is more important than a #2 starter. I think you can win in the postseason with 1 great starter and the rest of them being guys who just give you a chance. I think the last 15 years or so of World Series winners have been a mixed bag; some teams have had 2 aces, but some definitely did not. But what virtually all teams have had were lockdown bullpens, with multiple power-armed guys.

As I mentioned, Kelvin Herrera is likely to be available for the right price. We have a relationship with the Braves FO and I'd still look at Arodys Vizcaino, who has rebounded nicely this season as a setup guy, with an average fastball velocity of 97.3 MPH (the fastest of his career). Perhaps Robertson from the White Sox. I don't know if the Angels would consider trading Bedrosian, who can't be a free agent until 2022, but they have severe long-term needs at 2B and the OF (specifically, LF) and a package of Verdugo and Calhoun might make a lot of sense for them. In going back to the A's well, Ryan Madson could be a target (has maintained his same fastball velocity and has a nice fastball-changeup combination). Colome from the Rays would be a strong get as well. Maybe the Marlins could consider AJ Ramos or Kyle Barraclough, if they fall out of contention.

That's completely fair. Last year's pitching lineup with our dope setup guys + Jansen was enough to compete. If we can somehow recreate that around Clayton combined with this deep as F hitting lineup...we're right in the thick of it. That said...a real solid #2 would make me feel a whole lot better.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

That's completely fair. Last year's pitching lineup with our dope setup guys + Jansen was enough to compete. If we can somehow recreate that around Clayton combined with this deep as F hitting lineup...we're right in the thick of it. That said...a real solid #2 would make me feel a whole lot better.

By the end of the season, his name will be Julio Urias
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

If he had 2 good eyes, he'd already be better than Kershaw
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Ryu on the mound tonight. Any chance he can ever be like he was back in 2013 and 2014?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Ryu on the mound tonight. Any chance he can ever be like he was back in 2013 and 2014?

A chance, sure. His velocity looks back, actually, or pretty close to it (his average fastball velocity is only down 1 MPH from 2013). His 4 ERA is respectable so far. He's just had trouble giving up HR's. He's already allowed 6 HR in just 26.2 IP. But he's struck out 29 and only walked 8, which is very good. I think the stuff is there. And I'm sure the Dodgers will continue to manipulate the DL so that he gets breaks here and there.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

If he had 2 good eyes, he'd already be better than Kershaw

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

We were pretty much a dependable #2 guy away from knocking out the Cubs (who have them btw). Would not have had to rely on two rookies in crucial games against the likes of Lester, Hendricks, and Arrieta.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

We were pretty much a dependable #2 guy away from knocking out the Cubs (who have them btw). Would not have had to rely on two rookies in crucial games against the likes of Lester, Hendricks, and Arrieta.

At least the Cubs starters look like trash this year.

Proud of the team for fighting back tonight. Should have won if Ryu didn't (bleep) the bed.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

At least the Cubs starters look like trash this year.

Proud of the team for fighting back tonight. Should have won if Ryu didn't (bleep) the bed.

True. Though probably post-WS hangover.

Every time it looks like Ryu is about to turn the corner, he blows up.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

I had a little bit of hope because his first outing at Coors this year was pretty good. That hope vanished quickly.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I had a little bit of hope because his first outing at Coors this year was pretty good. That hope vanished quickly.

His last two starts were solid. Not spectacular though he did go 6 innings in one which is apparently rare nowadays for a Dodger starter not named Kershaw.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

It's also worth noting that after we made that great comeback in Game 1 of the NLCS to tie the score, Joe Blanton proceeded to come in and serve up a hanging meatball to the previously comatose Miguel Montero, who hit one about 5000 feet. He was our 2nd-best reliever last year and, IMO, that wasn't good enough. If we get that game to extra innings, Chapman had already been used, as had their top setup guys, and we would've had the clear advantage in extra innings. If we win that game, who knows what happens, after such a comeback.

Anyway, I stand by my belief that we can win a WS with Kershaw and the other starters we have. But I don't think we can if our 2nd-best reliever is...Grant Dayton?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 27 of 342
Jump to: