AT&T to Buy Time Warner for $85.4 Billion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: AT&T to Buy Time Warner for $85.4 Billion

http://www.wsj.com/articles/at-t-reaches-deal-to-buy-time-warner-for-more-than-80-billion-1477157084

Wow.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject:

My deal is locked in for another 11 months you AT&T jackals.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject:

AT&T is the real life corporate T1000........
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject:

so does that mean Lakers games on AT&T now??
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
so does that mean Lakers games on AT&T now??

No.
The Lakers TV rights were sold to Time Warner Cable, which is a spun off from Time Warner Inc back in 2009. Time Warner Inc has nothing to do with the cable company. That cable company was merged with Charter and they now hold the TV rights of the Dodgers and Lakers under their Spectrum brand....so if your carrier can't get the Dodgers or Lakers they won't be able to get it no matter what happens with AT&T. Any carrier that wants to carry the Dodgers next season will have to cut a deal with Charter.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject:

I thought Time warner became Spectrum. The Lakers now play on Spectrum sportsnet. So AT&T is buying TWC and Spectrum?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I thought Time warner became Spectrum. The Lakers now play on Spectrum sportsnet. So AT&T is buying TWC and Spectrum?

Time Warner Cable and Time Warner Inc were two separate companies after 2009 when it was spun off from Time Warner Inc.
Time Warner Cable has nothing to do with Time Warner Inc since 2009 only sharing the same name by license paid by Time Warner Cable. The Lakers and Dodgers signed their TV rights with Time Warner Cable. Charter Communications bought Time Warner Cable this year. Since then have been rebranding Time Warner Cable under their Spectrum brand name. That means TWC SportsNet became Spectrum SportsNet and TimeWarnerCable SportsNet became Spectrum SportsNetLA. If your cable company or satellite provider doesn't have a carriage agreement with Charter to carry the Dodgers, they won't have a deal regardless of what happens with the AT&T acquisition since they are buying a different company.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

IMO cable is inferior to satellite. I liken it to a water hose, it can only afford a limited volume amount. Overload it, it will burst.

I had cable long ago. It was fine during the day when kids were in school. I noticed after school hours I got pixeling and other reception issues. Also cables had to be installed in your neighborhood.

I don't know if any of that's improved.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
IMO cable is inferior to satellite. I liken it to a water hose, it can only afford a limited volume amount. Overload it, it will burst.

I had cable long ago. It was fine during the day when kids were in school. I noticed after school hours I got pixeling and other reception issues. Also cables had to be installed in your neighborhood.

I'm getting 200M and clear HD and even 3D when it was a fad...

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

You don't need huge bandwidth to stream video unless you are talking 4k video. Most 1080p streams are around 3 - 3.5 mbs I usually stream 720p streams at 1.2 mbs and can't tell the difference. If you have sufficient bandwidth and you are having problems streaming it is possible your isp is packet sniffing and throttling media streams in which case a vpn is in order.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

UHF channel no good.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm getting 200M and clear HD and even 3D when it was a fad...

Yeah, I've had cable forever and never had problems. Satellite is fine but is susceptible to weather impacts and also has a line of sight issue if you're in am apartment building. In So Cali though, you really can't go wrong with either.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Cable actually has more bandwidth, but they use it for both internet and TV. While satellite is really only used for TV since its terrible for internet. For satellite they can just shoot up another bird in the sky, while cable they would have to upgrade the lines in order to get more capacity. The reason cable TV looks inferior at times is because its more expensive to upgrade their network and its easier for them to compress the signal more.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: