Yi JianLian has asked to be released from Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
but, but the Laker's "Insider" told us Yi had locked up the backup C slot early in camp??? Now, less than a month later... he's out of the league? Oh... the humanity...

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan Sep 30
It looks like Yi Jianlian will be the Lakers' backup center. Looks good in practice, hitting 3s, potentially giving the team a stretch five.

Was Lou Williams guarding Yi in practice?

And yes, Bresnahan's analysis has always been off to me.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
That's a lot of money spent for a 3 week stint with the team. 1.2 million was guaranteed. Poor move on the Lakers end.

No
Only 250k

Maybe someday I'll make $250000 in 3 weeks with all expenses paid...

YouTube celebrity? Can you be entertaining while reacting to other people's YouTube videos?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
but, but the Laker's "Insider" told us Yi had locked up the backup C slot early in camp??? Now, less than a month later... he's out of the league? Oh... the humanity...

It looks like Yi Jianlian will be the Lakers' backup center. Looks good in practice, hitting 3s, potentially giving the team a stretch five.

To be honest, a lot of people were un-rightfully counting Tarik Black out.

Till Black reminded them
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

Yeah don't really care if we kept him or not. But after Tarik's first game of preseason Yi didn't really even get a consistent chance. Its hard to sit on the bench till last 3 mins of the 2nd quarter come in for just a few mins and make any type of impact. He did get some run during the last couple games but still not consistent enough. I would have liked to see him more but it is what it is and I am happy with Tarik and Robinson. Go lakers!
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

Especially with slow starts to games during preseason would have been nice to give him a chance with the starting unit to see if he could help space the floor but it didn't happen.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Yeah don't really care if we kept him or not. But after Tarik's first game of preseason Yi didn't really even get a consistent chance. Its hard to sit on the bench till last 3 mins of the 2nd quarter come in for just a few mins and make any type of impact. He did get some run during the last couple games but still not consistent enough. I would have liked to see him more but it is what it is and I am happy with Tarik and Robinson. Go lakers!

Yi did practice with the team the whole 3 weeks. Players earn time in practice, not games.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Yi did practice with the team the whole 3 weeks. Players earn time in practice, not games.

For sure I understand. Just funny they brought him over here and IMO didn't really give him a full chance in preseason games, but as I said I don't care I like TROB and Black.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:

Probably realized he wouldn't reach those benchmarks, not to mention with him out of the league for so long, he would have a tough time re-adapting to the NBA game once again. Back to China where he can make the big bucks and face much easier competition.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

To be honest, a lot of people were un-rightfully counting Tarik Black out.

Till Black reminded them

Yi was an assumption because Nick was believed to be cut originally
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

So much for all of that talk about what an amazing trade chip Yi and that contract were going to be. Was it Trudell that kept saying that nonsense?
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

To be fair, that was Sept 30th
a lot can happen in 3.5 weeks
It's entirely probable that on Sept 30th, Yi looked like a lock when no one could predict Black becoming a consistent force, and Yi not really responding to the same level
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

I was not high on Yi.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

It's entirely probable that on Sept 30th, Yi looked like a lock when no one could predict Black becoming a consistent force, and Yi not really responding to the same level

I think if Yi didn't demand to be released, Lakers would have kept him. I was never excited about us signing him but his skill sets are much better than Robinson and MWP at this stage.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I must admit, I had the rather cynical view that Yi would stay simply because he was a pro player in China, and that Jeanie and the FO would want overseas marketing benefits from his presence on the team.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

this dude is complete garbage... good cut!
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Don't know if the Lakers would have kept Yi but I'm glad he saw the light now. Much better than a bigger conflict with his role and playing time down the road.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Yi might have looked good initially, but Bres passed of that statement like it was a fact. People were questioning it on twitter because Yi had yet to play a single NBA game in 4 years. That's a long time to be away from the game and not have difficulty adjusting.

AB was another one of those "good practice players" and it didn't really mesh over into the games as we saw. That's why I'm skeptical of the MWP signing, though he brings a great deal of value as a mentor/coach to the young players.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Bresnahan is unwatchable on Spectrum.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
So much for all of that talk about what an amazing trade chip Yi and that contract were going to be. Was it Trudell that kept saying that nonsense?

It isn't nonsense, it would have been a great trade piece.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Bresnahan is unwatchable on Spectrum.

Bresnahan is the one the worst bball analysts out there tbh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

I think someone has to change the "Chairman's Return" feature on LG's front page.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
P.K. wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Yi might have looked good initially, but Bres passed of that statement like it was a fact. People were questioning it on twitter because Yi had yet to play a single NBA game in 4 years. That's a long time to be away from the game and not have difficulty adjusting.

AB was another one of those "good practice players" and it didn't really mesh over into the games as we saw. That's why I'm skeptical of the MWP signing, though he brings a great deal of value as a mentor/coach to the young players.

"It looks like Yi Jianlian will be the Lakers' backup center."

"It looks like" is not a statement of absolutes, it's a statement that "as of right now, it looks like he might be the lakers backup center"
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Never should have been signed in the first place.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Superstar in China bum in the NBA. He knows he's not going to get any PT.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
P.K. wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

"It looks like Yi Jianlian will be the Lakers' backup center."

"It looks like" is not a statement of absolutes, it's a statement that "as of right now, it looks like he might be the lakers backup center"

The problem is it can be interpreted as an absolute statement. Read it in Bresnahan's voice, and then read the responses: "how do you know this?", "it's practice", "you're not stretching the truth are you?".

It's the delivery that comes off as wrong to people. He tries to err on the side of fact. It would have been more realistic/accurate to say something like: "Yi is playing really well. Could make a push for that back-up C spot.". It's far less definitive and more susceptible to change.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: