ESPN Projects Lakers to Have Fewest Wins in NBA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

I'm sure ESPN is factor conferences, strength of schedule, traveling, altitude, back to back games. We don't play Philly, Brooklyn, and the other scrubby East teams more than twice. So I see what they are getting at. Plus they are preaching the narrative of our front office dysfunction and, the extra baggage DLO is to us, and all that other nonsense.

With that said, they are dead wrong about this team. We won't make the playoffs, but we won't be the worst 3 teams in the league either. I suspect they'll be several teams looking to tank the year away. Plus we aren't as bad as ESPN would like everyone to think we are.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

This team is lacking in talent and to think otherwise is setting yourself up for disappointment. Do we have some nice young pieces...yes. Should we be excited about having a good young head coach....yes (although Luke is not a magician and can not turn crap into ice cream). The only thing we should hope for is that we do not waste another year in regards to developing our kids. I think BS's biggest failure was turning his back on our pups and not developing them. I think the development of the kids will be Luke's best attribute.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
This team is lacking in talent and to think otherwise is setting yourself up for disappointment. Do we have some nice young pieces...yes. Should we be excited about having a good young head coach....yes (although Luke is not a magician and can not turn crap into ice cream). The only thing we should hope for is that we do not waste another year in regards to developing our kids. I think BS's biggest failure was turning his back on our pups and not developing them. I think the development of the kids will be Luke's best attribute.

I want to frame this.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject:

buncha (bleep) hacks..

were going to get 30 wins this year.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

ESPN has never been right about the Lakers. We're always much worse than their projections these past couple of years
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

I don't think there is anyone on the laker team that is capable of proving them wrong
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Not that 24 wins is so hard to buy, I would like to think higher, but teams like the Nets or cursed Philly do better, hmm, don't take that bet... some of these teams will blow up and tank hard so 24 seems well above the bottom. But there can always be a silver lining.

So we have trouble coming together in the beginning, a few not so bad injuries hold us back, by the all-star break we are the worst with 9 wins. Then, Ingram starts to get it, team goes 18-6 after the break, second best record in the league and plays top 5 defense. We end up with the number 2 lotto slot, according to ESPN predictions here, and the ball bounces us to the number 1 pick in the 2017 draft, further devaluing the pass along to Philly. We keep this pick, are red hot, playing defense, and Ingram is ballin. I'll take it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

IF we went 3-6 across the entire season every 9 games.

Then we would be

27-54

Before the last game of the season, which if we won we'd go

28-54

Which is one win better than the D'antoni season.

that's not unreasonable.

However if we went 4-5 across the entire season every 9 games

36 - 45

and if we win the last game

37-45

THAT would be a fantastic turnaround.

The answer may be in the middle

33 - 49

is about as far as I'd go.

If we're fully healthy and EVERYTHING goes right we could possibly see 37 wins, but I'd say 33 is a solid maximum to set your expectations at.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

A 10+ win increase from last season would be wonderful.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Of course we shoot for as many wins, but if we got to 30, I would give that an A season (relatively speaking of course).
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

ESPN is probably right tbh, doubt we get to 30 with the talent we have.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject:

ESPN has been dead on the past few years. Will be lucky to get beyond 20 wins.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Of course we shoot for as many wins, but if we got to 30, I would give that an A season (relatively speaking of course).

For Luke. If that happens, he gets an A for coaching.
Not sure I can give our franchise an A though. That would imply we couldn't have done any better this season under any circumstance. Considering our Free Agency struggles. Don't know if that's true.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

if we get the ball movement offense down i can see 30 wins but if we play that pre season ball 24 is being generous
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Antawn Jamison says the Lakers can be a 0.500 team on last week's Access Sportsnet. I think that's possible if Zubac becomes Kareem-lite and Russell becomes Curry-lite but the most likely scenario is low to mid 30s.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Not sure I can give our franchise an A though. That would imply we couldn't have done any better this season under any circumstance. Considering our Free Agency struggles. Don't know if that's true.

Ergo I said relatively speaking.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what the lakers themselves consider a successful season. Realistically speaking. I would guess marked improvement from last year. A 7 win increase (the ESPN guess) is not a marked improvement. It would be more like doubling last year's win count.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:

24 wins probably isn't a bad guess. But I really don't see us being worse than Philly.

They were the 2nd worst team of all time last year, and made no significant improvements to their roster this off-season. Simmons projects to be out for a long time, Noel is already out for a month with an injury, and who knows how long Embiid lasts. In addition to that, their guards are still probably the worst in the league.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
24 wins probably isn't a bad guess. But I really don't see us being worse than Philly.

They were the 2nd worst team of all time last year, and made no significant improvements to their roster this off-season. Simmons projects to be out for a long time, Noel is already out for a month with an injury, and who knows how long Embiid lasts. In addition to that, their guards are still probably the worst in the league.

Embiid looks like a beast. Anything he can give them is a huge upgrade over last season. Simmons will be back in January and he looked like a 6'10" Jason Kidd out there. Saric looks good too. They added some nice pieces. They'll be one of the teams I keep my eye on throughout the season.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Embiid looks like a beast. Anything he can give them is a huge upgrade over last season. Simmons will be back in January and he looked like a 6'10" Jason Kidd out there. Saric looks good too. They added some nice pieces. They'll be one of the teams I keep my eye on throughout the season.

Embiid is definitely a beast, but they have him on a pretty severe minutes restriction, and it will likely stay like that for a while.

Simmons will be really good, but then again, they'll have to adjust to him when he gets back, and even then, the dude is still a rookie. He looked solid in SPL, but his game still has some pretty serious deficiencies that will take him another year or two to work out before he really adds a ton of wins.

I mean, look at the T-Pups last year. They have some legit NBA talent surrounding Lavine, Wiggins (a 20+ ppg 2nd year player), and Towns, who was an absolute beast as a rookie. But they still sucked.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

Embiid was horribly inefficient. If he stays healthy, I like him a lot. But asking a rookie with two years of rust to be a positive contributor? Yeah, good luck with that. He's going to have growing pains, and he'll probably hurt the team as much as he helps. Most rookies do.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers may be better than some eastern conference teams but they only play each team twice...while teams in the east play each other up to 4 times a season. Meanwhile the west is stacked as usual so a bad team like the Lakers will look even worse.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Our free agency struggles where we got the FAs that we had targeted?
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Pardon the language, but why do fools even post that ESPN crap here?

Appreciate the support, as always.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Pardon the language, but why do fools even post that ESPN crap here?

Appreciate the support, as always.

It was in jest, of course people are free to post whatever they want here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 5 of 16
Jump to: