ESPN Projects Lakers to Have Fewest Wins in NBA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
Antawn Jamison says the Lakers can be a 0.500 team on last week's Access Sportsnet. I think that's possible if Zubac becomes Kareem-lite and Russell becomes Curry-lite but the most likely scenario is low to mid 30s.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
I wonder what the lakers themselves consider a successful season. Realistically speaking. I would guess marked improvement from last year. A 7 win increase (the ESPN guess) is not a marked improvement. It would be more like doubling last year's win count.

Getting rid of Byron's old school methods would be a win....
Implementing analytics so the Lakers are in this decade and not 2-3 decades back in terms of strategy and game planning.
Wins would help, but I think seeing players progress throughout the season is more important.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I won't be surprised if we win 45-48 games.

PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
lol, if there are people who still don't think ESPN has agenda to use the Lakers as click bait, they've been living in a cave.

This thread is made every year and the Lakers always win fewer games than ESPN predicts. I don't think the Lakers have exceeded expectations since 2008.

The bar is set low for them to do it this season, but I thought that the last few years as well.

I think the difference is that toward the end of the season we do not put out lineups to lose games this season.

According to you, we weren't tanking last season...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Honestly bruh, my statement isn't that radical, the NBA is wide open, Some teams are gonna take a step back, We won 45 games with Kobe shooting 30 times in the Kwame And Smush era. we can compete if the ball is moving and the players are playing D.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
I wonder what the lakers themselves consider a successful season. Realistically speaking. I would guess marked improvement from last year. A 7 win increase (the ESPN guess) is not a marked improvement. It would be more like doubling last year's win count.

Getting rid of Byron's old school methods would be a win....
Implementing analytics so the Lakers are in this decade and not 2-3 decades back in terms of strategy and game planning.
Wins would help, but I think seeing players progress throughout the season is more important.

If the players are progressing then they're winning more games. Can't have one without the other. The Lakers need to impress a few key FA's in the offseason.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Every team other than Brooklyn has better players than the Lakers. I would expect the end of season record to reflect that. So this ESPN projection I am not surprised.

Going to be a long season. Keeping the pick would at least be a big benefit. This team needs at least 2 more big time legit pieces from the draft.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

we have a very young team. but people (homers) overreact. If we beat Houston, or start the season 2-1 or 3-1, then people will say we're going to make the playoffs. they don't like when people speak the truth. because of the poor state of the team (winning wise, how young we are, etc) then it comes across as "hating". or "pissing and moaning". Call it what you want, but it's the truth. We're not going to be very good this year. At best, we'll be in the running for an 8 seed. And that's if everything comes together.

But in year 2 and 3 of Luke's tenure here, I'll be looking for us to be knocking on the door in terms of being a consistent playoff team.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
Every team other than Brooklyn has better players than the Lakers. I would expect the end of season record to reflect that. So this ESPN projection I am not surprised.

Going to be a long season. Keeping the pick would at least be a big benefit. This team needs at least 2 more big time legit pieces from the draft.
Disagree, but not surprising.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
we have a very young team. but people (homers) overreact. If we beat Houston, or start the season 2-1 or 3-1, then people will say we're going to make the playoffs. they don't like when people speak the truth. because of the poor state of the team (winning wise, how young we are, etc) then it comes across as "hating". or "pissing and moaning". Call it what you want, but it's the truth. We're not going to be very good this year. At best, we'll be in the running for an 8 seed. And that's if everything comes together.

But in year 2 and 3 of Luke's tenure here, I'll be looking for us to be knocking on the door in terms of being a consistent playoff team.
I think most fans expect anywhere between 27-32 wins. Anything greater than that is gravy.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

Yeah, god forbid you should do anything other than take the most pessimistic approach, nag more positive people as homers, rag on players and the team, and then, if and when they do exceed expectations, jump right on the bandwagon.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Honestly bruh, my statement isn't that radical, the NBA is wide open, Some teams are gonna take a step back, We won 45 games with Kobe shooting 30 times in the Kwame And Smush era. we can compete if the ball is moving and the players are playing D.

That shows you how great Kobe was back then.

He was a once in a generation type player.

Moving the ball is not enough. The players have to be special.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
lol, if there are people who still don't think ESPN has agenda to use the Lakers as click bait, they've been living in a cave.

This thread is made every year and the Lakers always win fewer games than ESPN predicts. I don't think the Lakers have exceeded expectations since 2008.

The bar is set low for them to do it this season, but I thought that the last few years as well.

I think the difference is that toward the end of the season we do not put out lineups to lose games this season.

They were once they sat vets for no reason.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

Meh, it was already shown by a host of posters like GT, etc that our best lineups involved the youngsters last season.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

But we weren't winning games with the vets? Why not see what the younger guys could do?
kb24isback
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject:

i dont' know if Luke is a genius or a dud, but no one has even seen how or how the lakers are going to play. They have a lot of typical NBA plays and its a matter of how well they execute it. they will catch a lot of teams by surprise because no one can scout them. once their rotation gets set, then you will see the opposition hone on their bread and butter plays, and since the lakers don't have a guy who can create their own shots, they will suffer badly after the 10th game in the season.

what hurts the lakers more than anything, is playing in a conference where you can expect 5-6 teams winning 50+ games, and 3 of those teams will win 60+ games. they can play out of their mind, but when you are winning maybe 2/3 combined games against the clippers, warriors, rockets, spurs, thunder their record is going to be abysmal. they are literally ants playing against men in the western conference.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Of course we shoot for as many wins, but if we got to 30, I would give that an A season (relatively speaking of course).

For Luke. If that happens, he gets an A for coaching.
Not sure I can give our franchise an A though. That would imply we couldn't have done any better this season under any circumstance. Considering our Free Agency struggles. Don't know if that's true.

Our free agency struggles where we got the FAs that we had targeted?

An A grade implies it's the best possible scenario our FO could've accomplished.
If our franchise gets an A grade. What would the grade have been If we landed Durant and Derozan/Batum? Or Lebron? Or Horford? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've landed a top 40 NBA player (in terms of production) in free agency the last 3 offseasons.

I make this point to say, I can't give our franchise the best grade possible. There was/is room for improvement.
But I like the general direction our franchise is going.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

kb24isback wrote:
i dont' know if Luke is a genius or a dud, but no one has even seen how or how the lakers are going to play. They have a lot of typical NBA plays and its a matter of how well they execute it. they will catch a lot of teams by surprise because no one can scout them. once their rotation gets set, then you will see the opposition hone on their bread and butter plays, and since the lakers don't have a guy who can create their own shots, they will suffer badly after the 10th game in the season.

what hurts the lakers more than anything, is playing in a conference where you can expect 5-6 teams winning 50+ games, and 3 of those teams will win 60+ games. they can play out of their mind, but when you are winning maybe 2/3 combined games against the clippers, warriors, rockets, spurs, thunder their record is going to be abysmal. they are literally ants playing against men in the western conference.

U are right, Lakers do not have that one player who can create like Kobe.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Dayum! I'll have to stop watching the Lakers!!

Wait, I got a better, idea.. stop watching ESPN!! GTFO ESPN!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

I don't know how many wins we'll have (my guess is around 30-32), but there's no way the worst team in the League wins 24 games.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:

Can you explain why you think 76ers is better than Lakers?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:

Can you explain why you think 76ers is better than Lakers?

Before the injuries to Noel, Simmons, Bayless, I would say they're on the same level as us

Embiid/Okafor
Simmons/Saric
Covington/Grant
Henderson/Luwau
Rodriquez/Bayless
+Whatever they can get for Noel

In the East? That team wins games.But with all the injuries I have them and Nets below us right now.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject:

24 1/2 wins from ESPN

Like I said, this team can win in the 30's; 35+
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject:

Coming up on ESPN sports center ...Hardens huge night. That's the headline when you lose while playing the Lakers these days.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:

4.2% of our projected win total in the books with 1.2% of the season completed!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16
Jump to: