2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 431, 432, 433 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Frank Jackson and Hamidou Diallo declaring for the draft but not signing agents

had a feeling Diallo would at least declare

Pretty much need to think of Diallo as a HS prospect. MAJOR concern if he didn't develop anything during his year at UK, even if it was in practice. I don't like the idea of skipping a year of progression between 18-24.

why do you assume he did not develop any in the past year? I think he gets a promise and stays in....he is an athletic freak with skills

Guys like Mudiay and Brandon Jennings didn't really develop in their year of overseas basketball.

I think Ferguson is headed the same way, because I don't think of Australian competition.

What NBA player basically took a year off at the NCAA level, got drafted, and turned out well? At least we got to glimpse Harry Giles.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:

Yes, we're terrible on D. But drafting a 19 year old (oops, I mean 20 year old) isn't the answer. Josh Jackson is getting overrated around these parts, and IMO, shouldn't be the pick.

might as well get him a rocking chair? if anything, he is underrated on LG...in my opinion
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
bonkers wrote:

Pretty much need to think of Diallo as a HS prospect. MAJOR concern if he didn't develop anything during his year at UK, even if it was in practice. I don't like the idea of skipping a year of progression between 18-24.

why do you assume he did not develop any in the past year? I think he gets a promise and stays in....he is an athletic freak with skills

Guys like Mudiay and Brandon Jennings didn't really develop in their year of overseas basketball.

I think Ferguson is headed the same way, because I don't think of Australian competition.

What NBA player basically took a year off at the NCAA level, got drafted, and turned out well? At least we got to glimpse Harry Giles.

I really do not see the comparison....he is 18 years old, and would be the best player at UK this year.
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
bonkers wrote:

not saying he's going top 3 or even top 10. but ferguson's game looks real nice for a SG prospect
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

romeo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
bonkers wrote:

not saying he's going top 3 or even top 10. but ferguson's game looks real nice for a SG prospect

Which part is "real nice?"

I don't even think he has an NBA caliber jumpshot. That weak Aussie defense leaves him WAY too open.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:

So Pelinka admitted that fit is a real factor in drafting..
Always belived in factoring in fit. I think BPA is good in theory but kind of a fallacy, heard so much BPA NO MATTA WHAT here, I just had to make this comment sorry
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
romeo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
bonkers wrote:

Which part is "real nice?"

I don't even think he has an NBA caliber jumpshot. That weak Aussie defense leaves him WAY too open.

hes more a traditional sg size and not the shorter combo guard size. his stroke is smooth, fade away form in the post looks good, good percentages, hes quick and has hops, quickness gives him defensive potential
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

So Magic will represent the Lakers at the May 16 Draft Lottery that's televised. Has anyone mentioned this?

Come on NBA, you know you want Magic's smiling face as a storyline.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Always belived in factoring in fit. I think BPA is good in theory but kind of a fallacy, heard so much BPA NO MATTA WHAT here, I just had to make this comment sorry

It makes sense if the BPA is a game changer like Embiid, or Jordan.
The best example of why we whould factor in BPA is the situation in 76ers where they drafted 3 Cs in a row, and ended up smothering 2 of them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He said fit with Luke.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
So Magic will represent the Lakers at the May 16 Draft Lottery that's televised. Has anyone mentioned this?

No Black, no pick.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Here's the problem for "fit". Sometimes the most talented players don't fit the system well.

Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal aren't "ideal triangle fit."

Hell, McDermott is the "perfect fit" at PF, for all teams. 3pt range, quick release, plays off ball. Randle, is not. Randle, is still, clearly the better player.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

I don't like drafting for fit on a bottom 3 team.

Go for the guy with the most upside, I like the way for instance the Bucks are taking risks in recent picks.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

No Black, no pick.

No word on which person will represent us in the non-televised actual drawing.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

hes more a traditional sg size and not the shorter combo guard size. his stroke is smooth, fade away form in the post looks good, good percentages, hes quick and has hops, quickness gives him defensive potential

Disagree. Dude may be 2" taller than D'Angelo Russell, but he's essentially the same wingspan/standing reach anyway.

What percentages are you talking about when it comes to perimeter game?

38.7% 2-point
31.3% 3-point
60% FT
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Terrance-Ferguson/Summary/52037

Dude is athletic clay.

The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Magic will be there to (bleep) (bleep) up if he finds out the Lakers don't get a top 3 pick.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
bonkers wrote:

Australian competition where you're allowed to hard foul and be physical is better than CBA competition where you are discouraged from playing defense so they can run up scores.

You could tell Mudiay wasn't it when Sun Yue shut him down in the CBA the moment he started forcing him left.

I see a lot more things translatable at the next level in Ferguson than I ever did in Mudiay.

His want for defense, his off ball IQ both on the perimeter and going to the basket, as well as him working on his mid range from people trying to chase him off the 3 point line near the end of his season.

He essentially went from a High School 3 point line to a Pro 3 point line and for the season got it to 31-32%.

So yes, his off ball movement, his taste of NBA range, his athleticism, his knack for defense, his pull up mid range he started developing as the season was entering the back half. All good things that translate well at the next level.

Mudiay got rightfully laughed at by people that knew the CBA when he said it would be "more physical" than the NBA. Ferguson could actually make that claim of the Australian League.

His three point percentage is also messed with by the fact he had a lot of 0-1 or 0-2 games from three when he'd play spot minutes and he had games where he didn't shoot much and missed, going 0-2, 0-1, and 0-3. So there's that too.

He actually wound up shooting 40% from the field in games where he shot the ball 5 times or more which isn't bad considering his frame and the kind of impact and he was facing whenever he tried to get to the basket.

In fact from November through January, his numbers on high volume three pointers taken (4 or more) was actually 39%. He didn't finish the season strong though with only one real stand out game against Bribane where he got real play time over 20 minutes. But 3 games later they used him as a 6th man and he only had one good game against Illawa but aside from that his last two months weren't the strongest.

Partially the reason I think he'll drop to us. But he definitely got more of an 18 year old going up against grown men experience than Mudiay did.

Last edited by MJST on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:13 pm; edited 5 times in total
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

44TheLogo wrote:
iceberg01 wrote:
As for Smith, I think people get too carried away in their criticisms of 19 year olds: ALL of these players can improve, and improve immensely. But some things, you just can't teach.

When it comes to Smith, you just can't teach that ATHLETICISM. And he also seems to have some DOG in him--he wants to kill the other guy on the court he's opposing. You won't see Smith backing down from a fight (like Lonzo did vs. Fox). And... so what if he's not CP, and "only" Tim Hardaway?? You are aware that Tim Hardaway's a HOF Finalist right???

And, as for Smith being a ball-stopper, again--he's 19. He can be coached up to move the ball. Not a legit reason to not draft a 19 year old kid. Now if you say his size is a detriment (6'1"), OK, you may have a point. But you don't NOT draft a 19 year old kid because he's a ball stopper. Teaching passing is a calling card of Luke.

how can you give DSJ credit for being a dog or having fight in him when he quit on his team? were we watching the same college basketball season?

https://twitter.com/JakePavorsky/status/830515129506787329

People said the same thing about Simmons last year. Fultz also shut it down early on UW because of an "ankle injury". Doesn't really affect my analysis of a player, especially if it's a just a one-time deal. That's an emotional maturity issue that can perhaps be resolved over time and with coaching. But what I'm really pointing to is that, in game, he's aggressive. If you come at him, he'll come right back at you and keep coming
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Iceberg you definitely have a type, fam.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He said fit with Luke.

No you're wrong. He said "not only fit with Luke and the team, but Los Angeles"
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
bonkers wrote:

Australian competition where you're allowed to hard foul and be physical is better than CBA competition where you are discouraged from playing defense so they can run up scores.

You could tell Mudiay wasn't it when Sun Yue shut him down in the CBA the moment he started forcing him left.

I see a lot more things translatable at the next level in Ferguson than I ever did in Mudiay.

I disagree. Sure, they're stronger players, but they're definitely not NBA speed in terms of quickness and athleticism. They're easier to outmaneuver.

As for Mudiay vs. Ferguson, I don't see it so obviously. Ball-handling translates to the NBA level, even if we disregard athleticism from Mudiay or Ferguson. But Mudiay can actually pass a bit, and that didn't change at the NBA level. When I watch Ferguson, he rarely dribbles more than twice, rarely at the rim, and takes shots on full vert where Aussie defenders aren't even close to contesting. It's like physical HS play, but not even NCAA level defense.

I don't see where physical play at the Australian leagues is helping Ferguson, especially if he isn't playing as a physical player.

romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Disagree. Dude may be 2" taller than D'Angelo Russell, but he's essentially the same wingspan/standing reach anyway.

What percentages are you talking about when it comes to perimeter game?

38.7% 2-point
31.3% 3-point
60% FT
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Terrance-Ferguson/Summary/52037

Dude is athletic clay.

hm.. wasnt looking at the charts, draftexpress article/profile had him shooting "39%" from 3.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
Issac is a good prospect, but for our team I'd take Markannens 3 point shooting which I think would be huge for the lakers in the long run (having a really tall 4 who can shoot the 3 with efficiency)

Markannen may well in fact be a better 3-point shooter and is bigger for sure. But Isaac is the better rebounder, steals guy, and shot blocker. They're both close in true shooting percentage too.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
iceberg01 wrote:
As for Smith, I think people get too carried away in their criticisms of 19 year olds: ALL of these players can improve, and improve immensely. But some things, you just can't teach.

When it comes to Smith, you just can't teach that ATHLETICISM. And he also seems to have some DOG in him--he wants to kill the other guy on the court he's opposing. You won't see Smith backing down from a fight (like Lonzo did vs. Fox). And... so what if he's not CP, and "only" Tim Hardaway?? You are aware that Tim Hardaway's a HOF Finalist right???

And, as for Smith being a ball-stopper, again--he's 19. He can be coached up to move the ball. Not a legit reason to not draft a 19 year old kid. Now if you say his size is a detriment (6'1"), OK, you may have a point. But you don't NOT draft a 19 year old kid because he's a ball stopper. Teaching passing is a calling card of Luke.

how can you give DSJ credit for being a dog or having fight in him when he quit on his team? were we watching the same college basketball season?

https://twitter.com/JakePavorsky/status/830515129506787329

People said the same thing about Simmons last year. Fultz also shut it down early on UW because of an "ankle injury". Doesn't really affect my analysis of a player, especially if it's a just a one-time deal. That's an emotional maturity issue that can perhaps be resolved over time and with coaching. But what I'm really pointing to is that, in game, he's aggressive. If you come at him, he'll come right back at you and keep coming

I would actually question the "competitive motor" of both guys. LSU fell out of the tournament, qualified for NIT, and basically forfeited. There's nothing competitive about that.

With DSJ, it's not as demonstrative, but it's easier to see on a play to play basis. Hell, a lot of the time, you can watch him, and he's lackadaisical throughout the entire clock until he gets the ball back in Iso with the clock winding down.

He had one perfect game against Duke. Didn't replicate it.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

No Black, no pick.

No word on which person will represent us in the non-televised actual drawing.

It will be Pelinka.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 431, 432, 433 ... 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 432 of 1281
Jump to: